The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2008 final highlights

+2
Simple_Analyst
Chydremion
6 posters

Go down

Wimbledon 2008 final highlights Empty Wimbledon 2008 final highlights

Post by Chydremion Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Having seen the full match live on tv, I always thought the traditional highlights on youtube didn't really do the match justice.

I've now just come across a 15-minute highlight which has only been uploaded a few months ago. Many more big forehand winners (my favourite shots) from both guys in this clip.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWDmo4sxJs

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2008 final highlights Empty Re: Wimbledon 2008 final highlights

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Nadal made a meal of a routine 3 set victory. Very poor from him.
I've always thought the AO 2009 final had more magic and quality of shot making than the Wimbledon 08 final.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:Nadal made a meal of a routine 3 set victory. Very poor from him.
I've always thought the AO 2009 final had more magic and quality of shot making than the Wimbledon 08 final.

Agreed but in terms of drama Wimby 2008 had it all. I have only brought myself to watch the whole match once since that fateful day instead i watch set's 3 and 4 (especially the 4th set tiebreak) with such glee Very Happy im living in denial Run

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Drama doesn't mean quality. Watch the AO final again and see the quality in there. Brits unfortunately are known for over exaggerating events. I promise you the Olympics tennis next year will be a slam due to the hype.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Luvsports - I had hours of it on tape - including the rain breaks when they were doing all that this-is-yr-life stuff about Fed - until our VCR went up the creek and I lost it all.
Confess, I never watched the fifth set again. The fourth set tiebreak - I don't think I've ever seen Rafa look so nervous. One serve hardly reached the net. Great recovery by him in the 5th set, reminisicent of Borg's comeback against Mac in 1980 when he missed all those match points in the fourth set.
The AO 09 final was a terrific match. The big surprise after that was that it would be two and half year before they would meet in a GS final again.
To my eternal envy, my wife was at the 08 Wimbers final. At least we were both at the 02 to see Fed demolish Rafa last month.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 pm

AO 2009 was an even better match for the first 4 sets but the 5th set didn't deliver. Whereas Wimbledon there was a good, close 5th set and it also had the edge in terms of history and atmosphere. So I think Wimbledon was overall more of a great, epic match (slightly) even though the AO had better quality tennis, at least based on the first 4 sets.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm

I dare not watch it again. We were at Liverpool at a friend's for the last three sets. All 7 of us were literally either glued to the set or hiding behind sofa. I was ordered out of room by my children as I was supposed to be a jinx for Federer. I couldn't watch it again. I sincerely wish it should have been won by Roger. Great stuff, but both were winners, methinks.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Henman Bill wrote:AO 2009 was an even better match for the first 4 sets but the 5th set didn't deliver. Whereas Wimbledon there was a good, close 5th set and it also had the edge in terms of history and atmosphere. So I think Wimbledon was overall more of a great, epic match (slightly) even though the AO had better quality tennis, at least based on the first 4 sets.

I agree about the 5th set but blame Federer for doing his usual Houdini act in the 5th set. Spoilt a potential all time classic.

Last edited by Simple_Analyst on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Manojchandra wrote:I dare not watch it again. We were at Liverpool at a friend's for the last three sets. All 7 of us were literally either glued to the set or hiding behind sofa. I was ordered out of room by my children as I was supposed to be a jinx for Federer. I couldn't watch it again. I sincerely wish it should have been won by Roger. Great stuff, but both were winners, methinks.

Lol the player who went home with the trophy was the winner. To be fair though, 2nd place wasn't bad in a draw of above 100.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Manojchandra. Couldn't agree more about both being winners. I've always reckoned that this was Fed's "best" defeat and defined him more than some of his victories. Also it was probably at a time when both were at their peak and then, of course, there was the drama of the match points, the fight back and the night falling.
With my wife actually there and my cricket rained off, I could hardly watch some of it. Supposed there was a feeling that Fed would never win another slam - a feeling which grew after Australia 09.
I'd love to see another Rafa-Rog GS final and they put on a pretty good show at RG this year. We can but live in hope.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down