The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Real Road Warriors

3 posters

Go down

The Real Road Warriors Empty The Real Road Warriors

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:12 pm

We all like to focus at times on bright lights and showbiz. A good even fight between two elite sportsmen who get paid more money than we can ever imagine.

The likes of Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, the two Klitschko brothers or anyone in fact who is remotely near the mythical Pound for Pound list earn millions upon millions per fight and live a lifestyle one can only dream about when they hold a lottery ticket.

These men at this present point in time have their financial life wrapped up and grace our screens maybe two or three times a year.

But what about the guys who set these fighters on the trail path for glory. The men who fight every other week in order to survive and provide for their families. Ladies and gentlemen, I dedicate this moment to The Journeyman. The forgotten sportsman who is paid money to turn up to decorate an investments statistics within his win column. These men are the real backbone of the sport of boxing.

A journeyman boxer is defined as a fighter who has adequate boxing skill, but does not have the calibre of a contender or a gatekeeper. These guys very often are regular people like you or me, who hold regular jobs and lead regular lives.

But we often take them for granted and forget about them and the job in which they are willing to do. Not many of us would contemplate looking at a Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao the wrong way let alone claiming threw the ropes to trade punches with them.

But almost every week we see fighters on this level get knocked out or badly beaten on points and I commend their bravery.

We have seen numerous times in the past when the boxing fraternity gets hit with a lightning bolt and a guy who is paid to make up the numbers on a bill actually pulls a win out of the bag. Such notable occurrences include:

Ross Puritty Vs Wladimir Klitschko – (Puritty TKO11)
Kevin McBride Vs Mike Tyson – (McBride TKO6)
Darryl Pinckney Vs Junior Jones – (Pinckney KO3)

So when we are quick to call these men who admittedly do not possess great talent “bums” or “tin cans”, remember; your boxing idol would be nowhere near the star that shines so brightly without these guys who are always on call 24/7.

We hear top level fighters often claiming to be Road Warriors. But the true warriors are the people we forget as soon as (99.9% of the time) they are defeated and sent on to the next prospect or star to repeat the process.

Do they complain when they are robbed? Do they look for a way out? Do they complain about money? No.

They entertain and fulfil the most important purpose in a top level fighter’s career. These true warriors should be applauded for their bravery and given the credit that never comes and not insulted by people who if asked would never in a million years trade places with them.

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

The Real Road Warriors Empty Re: The Real Road Warriors

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

OK Like it, mate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

So do I.

I remember the Anderton and Rowland fair used to pass through our town for three days every November. In those days the fairground booths were still up and running and I can vividly recall watching the action ; I can even remember one of the fighters' name - called himself Christian Marcel - and I also remember that he doubled up for the wrestling, also.

Tough way to make a living, and a few of our great and good got their start in this way, including Jim Driscoll, Jimmy Wilde and Freddie Mills.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

Cheers lads!!

I was asked to write something for some guy on twitter Stylezmakefights.com.

Just thought I would dedicate the moment to the journey man. It was while Khan was claiming to be the road warrior. Thought I would say who I thought the real road warriors where.

I can remember you discussing various famous journeymen before Windy on a thread regarding them.

And as always, you added a little extra knowledge to my alcohol battered brain!! haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

You often add knowledge to my Horlicks battered brain, Dee, so it's a fair swap.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:04 pm

Yea right Windy. Theres no need to tell lies haha,

you are the Godfather on here, we bask in your encyclopedic knowledge!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:50 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Yea right Windy. Theres no need to tell lies haha,

you are the Godfather on here, we bask in your encyclopedic knowledge!!

Nice compliment and I thank you, Dee, but try me on the current game and you'll find out differently.

The stuff I've picked up over the years is static and not evolving on a day to day basis. I rely on you chaps to keep me up to date and sort out all the titles, etc., today, since I can't keep up with it all. Don't know where you fellas get the mental stamina from.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 21 Dec 2011, 5:51 pm

Laugh you make a good point, it hurts at times.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down