The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital

+3
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
Shifty
7 posters

Go down

Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital Empty Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital

Post by Shifty Sat 24 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

http://www.welshrugbypics.co.uk/events/3111-ospreys-hospital-visit-201211

We're always hammering them, so it's nice to see something nice for a change, well done lads. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital Empty Re: Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital

Post by Cymroglan Sat 24 Dec 2011, 11:59 am

clap

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital Empty Re: Ospreys Players visit Children at Morriston Hospital

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

Nice one fellas! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 24 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Well done boys, its things like this that the gutter press generally choose to ignore as there is no scandal attached to it.

During WC there was numerous visit to Christchurch by players but hardly any got a mention.

Well Done Boys
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 24 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

A lot of teams do stuff like this all year round. It's a shame that the press don't mention things like that.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 24 Dec 2011, 7:35 pm

I could not think of anything worse than a bunch of over paid rugby players visiting me in hospital or maybe I can a bunch of footballers. Let's face it if they were not playing rugby , how many of them would have a decent job or earning a tenth of the money they are currenty being paid?

Going by the crowds I suspect many in the hospital will not know who the hell they are and more likely frighten the inmates.

I would visit hospitals etc if I was overpaid for a part time game I enjoyed playing but the game has changed into what can I screw out of the club when they can't afford to pay stupid money for a product with limited appeal i.e., no crowds.

I enjoy the game but I am not into hero worship.

For me they should concentrate on getting crowds in and growing the game in Wales to pay their massive wages or make the game sustainable.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 24 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

Are you the spokesperson for the children ? Somebody is trying to bring a smile to the children's faces and all you can do is criticise them.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 25 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

Glamorgan - I would think that children stuck in a hospital ward are pleased to see any special visitor whether it's a pop singer or a sportsperson, and they probably recognise a couple of the players, or at least know who the local regional rugby team is. If it cheers them up and takes their mind off their illness briefly, then what harm does it do? From what I've seen, kids seem to love having these kinds of visits, makes their day a little bit different and special.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 25 Dec 2011, 6:18 pm

Come on let's get real, the players only go to functions etc because they are told to by their management to promote the club as they can't think what else for them to do for their wages. The point I was trying to make not everybody follows rugby, in fact the vast majority don't, take the two regional games, 10.5K for the Blues V Dragons and a likely crowd of 15K for Scarlets V Ospreys that totals just over 25K total club rugby supporters in Wales out of 3M population! Even if you multiplied the supporters by 4 that leaves 1 in 30 in Wales follows rugby and likely to know any of the players.

I am sure last year we had J Hook, L Bryne, M Phillips and the previous gang of NZ players doing the rounds they have gone for more money, no doubt visiting French hospitals at even higher wages.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sun 25 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

In other words.. Bah WUMbug?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 26 Dec 2011, 6:11 am

glam - I really don't know what to say about your diatribe back there, other than it was very uncharitable in the season of goodwill.

Most clubs put plenty back into their communities all year round*, and Christmas visits to local hospitals have long been a part of that. Those kids are not going to have a family Christmas, and seeing their local heroes will make their Christmas that much better.

*As Cari says - this sort of community activity doesn't often see the light of day in the national press. Local newspapers will regularly carry such stories though.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Dec 2011, 9:37 am

glamorganalun wrote:Come on let's get real, the players only go to functions etc because they are told to by their management to promote the club as they can't think what else for them to do for their wages. The point I was trying to make not everybody follows rugby, in fact the vast majority don't, take the two regional games, 10.5K for the Blues V Dragons and a likely crowd of 15K for Scarlets V Ospreys that totals just over 25K total club rugby supporters in Wales out of 3M population! Even if you multiplied the supporters by 4 that leaves 1 in 30 in Wales follows rugby and likely to know any of the players.

I am sure last year we had J Hook, L Bryne, M Phillips and the previous gang of NZ players doing the rounds they have gone for more money, no doubt visiting French hospitals at even higher wages.

So people will only know a player if they attend regional games? Biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. I've never been to a premiership football game but I can name most of the players in the league just from having a bit of an interest in football, so that's your theory blown out of the water.

Also, remember that regional rugby is watched on TV by figures in the low hundreds of thousands. Those viewers would also probably be able to name the players, so your ratios are all out there for a start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 26 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

That's very true Griff - I never watch cricket live or on TV but I can name one or two players.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 26 Dec 2011, 3:05 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Come on let's get real, the players only go to functions etc because they are told to by their management to promote the club as they can't think what else for them to do for their wages.

Actually the Ospreys do a lot of off the field charity events, and it was the players themselves who volunteered, the management never asks the players to do these things.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Dec 2011, 4:54 am

Alyn,

They always do and not just Ospreys or Regional temas, happened in the amateur day as well when they didn't get paid for playing.

But like said Gutter Press (local papers aside) don't report on it as its not news worthy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down