The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Johnson To Leave at End of Season

+15
XR
Comfort
Casartelli
Shifty
Cymroglan
Cari
mentalrhino
Ospreydragon
glamorganalun
maestegmafia
mpc28
TBJ9625
offload
dogtooth
bedfordwelsh
19 posters

Go down

Johnson To Leave at End of Season Empty Johnson To Leave at End of Season

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Dec - 8:47

Just read on BBC Wales that Scott Johnson is set to leave the Liberty Stadium at end of season and take up a role in the SRU with Andy Robinson.

Whats the views of the Os fans, was he worth it has he done any good sown at the Liberty, I think a lot of outsiders like me would say no he hasn't and maybe Cuddy ought to go bit further and get rid of Holley as well but thats a limited outsiders view.

Os fans whats your view on SJ and his departure?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Johnson To Leave at End of Season Empty Re: Johnson To Leave at End of Season

Post by dogtooth Tue 27 Dec - 8:59

where's the link beddiebyes? i'm going to have to type now.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 27 Dec - 9:02

sounds like he was tempeted by andy robinson rather than pushed out by cuddy. i dont think they were looking to ditch the aussie.

it will be fun watching the andy and scott show at 6n13
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Dec - 9:03

read it on bbc text dog?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 27 Dec - 9:09

bedfordwelsh wrote:read it on bbc text dog?

ok. forgiven-ish

i went to the web site but i had to click about four times to get the story. steam

my fingers cant take it after all the champagne opening ive been doing over last few days

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 27 Dec - 9:40

Scott Johnson. Should become the standard definition for overrated. Did nothing for Wales or the Ospreys. Talks nonsense every time he speaks. Good luck Scoltland....deepest sympathy.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 27 Dec - 10:20

Great news for the Ospreys, but they need to start looking for a replacement NOW!!!!! We dont need the same farce that we had when Lyn went. Hopefully the new fella will appoint his own staff as well. Would love to see Ruddock, Plumtree or Foster in place Whistle
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Tue 27 Dec - 10:39

This is fantastic news, Hopefully he can take Holley with him aswell. Would like to see Dean Richards down at the Ospreys or someone else who wouldnt put up with the antics of some of the players.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Dec - 11:09

Ospreys need someone like Dean Richards,
A no crap taking ,straight talking old school ethos who wants results and couldn't care less about sentimental value of has been players.

Ospreys have a great squad ,world class training facilities and a stadium that should be at least 3/4 full week in week out,
But they just seem not the slightest bit bothered, such a lazy team who rely on a good scrum and the odd moment of brilliance from the likes of Shane to win them games.

Holley should go as well he is to in awe of the players around him and wants to be their friends,
Humpreys is okay but hardly world class.

I think the Dan Biggar is living proof that the Ospreys coaching staff have no clue,
he went from an exciting young prospect to a mentally fragile poor decision making player after a couple of seasons with the Ospreys.

A couple of Welsh prem coaches would slot into the job really well and get a better standard out of the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Dec - 11:43

The BBC article says that he is taking a job in Scotland, but it is purely speculation if you read the article...!

The only definite thing is he is leaving the role at the Osprey's.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 27 Dec - 12:10

Wishfull thinking I suspect, if Holley goes as well then there is a good chance of a clearout of all the ex-player coaches, the Ospreys are now worse than the Scarlets e.g., Andy Lloyd, K Morgan, A Millward.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Tue 27 Dec - 12:20

Great news. The difficult thing will be attracting a proven head coach who will a) be prepared to work unfer AH b) Not be able to choose his own coaching team (unless others leave) ...

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalrhino Tue 27 Dec - 16:02

Don't really think Dean Richards is the way forward, plus would he really want the job? As for Mr Holley and his litle gang, maybe they've taken this squad as far forward as they can. Don't think it's a bad squad, just needs a few stong on field leaders to put their hands up.
Never really saw what Lynn Jones did so badly, he's been replaced and there's been no vast improvement, no step upto the next level, so why not give the man another chance? Also let's get Garin Jenkins back into the fold as forward coach, sad loss to the O's, great bonus for the Turks.

mentalrhino

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Dec - 16:36

There's some good names be thrown around, Richards, Ruddock, Plumtree etc.

Ruddock and Plumtree have strong connections with the area and Richards might like a chanc to re-estbalish himself outside of England.

Whoever takes over can only do better and move them forward.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 27 Dec - 17:23

I thought I read that Richards was on his way to Worcester when his ban is up?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 27 Dec - 17:45

Can't say I'll miss him. Thing is, you know the impact someone has had on something when you can list the benefits they contributed to the cause...erm.... Headscratch I'm not even sure what his job was!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Dec - 17:59

I was near the players entrance during yesterdays match and I noticed Scott Jhonson and Stephen Jones having a very long private chat on the touchline when the players were warming up.
I wonder if that's what they were talking about.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Dec - 18:04

Well one quick look at the Ospreys forum since the Ospreys loss to the Scarlets shows that polls are running at 90% for the coaching team to be sacked, and what's more unusual is the region is quite happy to let these threads continue, where as normally they would be deleted.

Personally I think Dale Mcintosh or Mike Rayer should be given a chance to step up, but as usual many of the fans who were baying for blood seem to be thinking along the lines of the Worlds best coaches, which for a region which has just rebranded itself from Galácticos to Paupers is a bit silly. Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 27 Dec - 18:09

Cymro - to be fair that's nothing to go on. What appeared to you, to be a private chat could've been about anything - even something completely unrelated to rugby. That's how unwanted and unhelpful rumours start, so I wouldn't go there.

Alyn - I'm a bit concerned about what's going on in Ospreylia. Scott Gibbs said on telly yesterday that Garin Jenkins said there was "no spirit" amongst the O's anymore which is why he chose the Scarlets. Now to be fair, that might've been sour grapes on Jenkins part, but it doesn't sound positive. I also notice that things are quiet on the players and club's Facebook pages Crying or Very sad I'm hoping it's a case of things getting worse in order to get better.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 27 Dec - 18:24

when you think about it what do they offer
Johnson - No real success at any level
Holley - the same
Humph - Welsh captain (but not an exceptional player!!)

Do our players look up to and respect these coaches, I'd say probably not!!! We need someone who can united the changing room once again and instill some pride, disclpine and team work back into what is effectively a very good bunch of player
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Dec - 18:27

Cari I was not suggesting anything but they were having a very deep chat not your normal banter stuff that you normal see on the touchline even a group of Osprey fans sat behind me were wondering what they were talking about.
I'm sure that Scott would have told his family close friends and associates about his career move before the rest of us were informed by the media today.
I'm not sure how my suggestion could be thought of as starting a rumour when thousands of others would also have seen them chatting together and I did say that I was wondering what they were talking about.
Even if he was talking to Stephen about his move up North I cant see any harm in that.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 27 Dec - 18:55

I'm not saying there's any harm in you mentioning it here Cymro, just a bit meaningless really. As I said, they could've been talking about absolutely anything even if it did look like a serious chat. Maybe he was in a bad mood? Got a bad back...peed off...could've been anything.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Dec - 19:06

Yes and I'm sure everybody would have been very aware that it could have been about anything.
I was just pointing out there possibly could have been a connection between yesterdays chat and todays announcement.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Dec - 19:34

Flippin hell cari chill out man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Dec - 19:53

Cari wrote:Alyn - I'm a bit concerned about what's going on in Ospreylia. Scott Gibbs said on telly yesterday that Garin Jenkins said there was "no spirit" amongst the O's anymore which is why he chose the Scarlets. Now to be fair, that might've been sour grapes on Jenkins part, but it doesn't sound positive. I also notice that things are quiet on the players and club's Facebook pages Crying or Very sad I'm hoping it's a case of things getting worse in order to get better.

I don't think he "chose" the Scarlets, I think the Ospreys didn't offer him a job as they already had Jon Humphreys.
The problem is Garin won't take any rubbish off Andrew Hore hence why wasn't really considered for a job, any person with a stronger personality like Scott Gibbs, Richard Websiter or Garin Jenkins will have problems., Hore likes "yes" men by all accounts.

I'm glad Johnson is going because as head coach he is making poor selection decisions, which are costing us dearly at the moment.

Duncan Jones has probably been our best player this year, and the form loose head in Wales, he is always offering himself as a ball carrying option and has minced many opponent at scrum time this season, the tenacity and dedication he has shown this season for the team should put him in line for the captaincy not dumped in favour for an out of form, plodding Paul James.
So why on earth has Duncan been dropped? What on earth does he need to do to keep his place in the squad?

Fussell is another one who I am wondering about, he seems lacking in concentration at times and I have seen far too many howlers from him this season, he is a neat runner with space and ball in hand, but any time I seem him having to defend or use any kind of foresight to read a situation he seems way out of his depth. I appreciate he is a winger giving the Full Back role his best shot, but he isn't adapting to it in the way required to play at the standards necessary for us to be a competitive side, and he seems very inconsistent in his performances. One day he is average, the next he has a shocker.
Dirksen has played out of his skin this season when given chances, in fact the only errors I can remember was one in Ireland and he got held up by tacklers a few times in the Connacht game, which results in a loss of possession. Yet he has looked hungry for the ball, and full of purpose when he has it, which is far more than Fussell has done. Why not give Dirksen a chance at full back or even give Tom Prydie a few games, who has played well for Swansea this season, either of them can't possibly be more poor than Fussell.

Scrum Half is probably the biggest concern for me, granted Kahn Fotuali'i has just moved from the other side of the World to come here, so it's unfair for him to settle with a new group of players and be a world beater in his first season, but why not use a bit more common sense with him?
Webb has been the best Welsh scrum half this season, so why not let him play, with Fotuali'i coming off the bench later on in the game?
Why can't Johnson just accept Webb has exceeded expectations this season and be happy? Instead of persisting in rotating both players when clearly on current form, one of them is fantastic (Webb), and the other ( Fotuali'i) is error prone and looking like a rabbit stuck in headlights.

The front 5 has been solid this season, Humph is doing his job, the defense at times has been amazing that is down to Holley and team spirit, but who keeps picking players who are playing poorly and rotating players for the hell of it?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 27 Dec - 20:56

This is the guy who made sure Henson did not come back to the Ospreys and now he is off, no doubt he had something to do with others leaving!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Dec - 21:18

glamorganalun wrote:This is the guy who made sure Henson did not come back to the Ospreys and now he is off, no doubt he had something to do with others leaving!
I'm glad Henson didn't come back, and the reason Henson didn't go back was because the Ospreys squad took a vote and nearly all of them didn't want him back, hence why no contract was offered.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Dec - 21:52

AlynDavies wrote:the reason Henson didn't go back was because the Ospreys squad took a vote and nearly all of them didn't want him back, hence why no contract was offered.
Did that really happen? Cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 27 Dec - 22:22

Alyn:

If that did happen which I doubt, but if true I am even more certain Johnson is best out, the players are employees and should not be in a position of voting someone out, the management should know the players feelings and make the judgement without sloping shoulders onto players.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 27 Dec - 22:24

The SRU have already measured him up for a tartan snood.

Winter months can be brutal up there.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Dec - 22:32

safeasmilk revealing his real age of 12 years old by finishing a sentence with "cool"

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 27 Dec - 22:48

when Johnson first came to the O's he gave us a presention. all he spoke about was his upbring in Oz. never linked it back to rugby, seemed totally unprepared and it came across as 'aren't i great'. A couple of us tried to introduce ourselves, but again he was totally disinterested. havent like the bloke since!!!!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 27 Dec - 23:07

TBJ having met the guy a couple of times that's exactly the same impression I got from him He looks scruffy at the best of times and I believe that the way he deals with the media reflects that.
I would not know what it's like to be coached by him but I also believe he would have done that half heartedly.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Dec - 23:16

Cymroglan wrote:TBJ having met the guy a couple of times that's exactly the same impression I got from him He looks scruffy at the best of times and I believe that the way he deals with the media reflects that.
I would not know what it's like to be coached by him but I also believe he would have done that half heartedly.
Reading players autobiographies he was always the good cop, in a 2 cop set up.
I know players like Alfie and Martyn Williams speak highly of him, however any coach that is loved probably is a lax one!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Tue 27 Dec - 23:18

i've only seen him run 2 sessions and one was very back of a fag packet. trys to be funny but isnt.
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 28 Dec - 10:41

Probably the best thing that could have happened to the Ospreys at the moment, now they just need to ensure they get someone proven in, preferably a no-nonsense type.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 28 Dec - 14:19

good news for the O's, he's useless beyond his limited coaching set of skills, carrying water bottles and getting the crowd to cheer.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Dec - 13:39

As predicted...!

"Ospreys could decide against appointing a new director of coaching when Scott Johnson leaves the club at the end of the season, BBC Sport understands."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16349134.stm

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 29 Dec - 14:43

gcBlues wrote:good news for the O's, he's useless beyond his limited coaching set of skills, carrying water bottles and getting the crowd to cheer.

Posts like this among others are not filling me with confidence at his appointment Crying or Very sad

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec - 18:45

Be warned Scot Abroad - he's been very poor for the Ospreys and didn't control the players at all for Wales - but saying that he'll be a No2 for Scotland and so won't have to make most of the decisions - but for the record even though I'm not an Ospreys fan I'm glad he's leaving Wales

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 30 Dec - 10:37

I don't think Scott Jonhson has been the problem. Its those two fecking incompetent idiots Sean Holley and Jonathan Humphries. Until we get rid of them nothing will change. I actually think if Johnson had better coaches under him we could have done better under his regime.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 30 Dec - 10:39

go,

I think the whole trio should go but SJ is head man so must take a lot of blame.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Fri 30 Dec - 10:53

Totally agree Bedford. Considering he's a skills coach, I think it's one of the key areas the O's have gone backwards in!!!
Clueless is the only word that springs to mind!!! Well only word that mods wouldn't block lol
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 30 Dec - 20:59

i wouldn't be worries, scot. He should be alright as now he's not the main guy in charge

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Fri 30 Dec - 21:39

Anyone else want to see Brendan Venter down at the Liberty?

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 31 Dec - 0:13

Gowales - SJ must take the blame for the weird selection policy at the O's as he must be the only one who decides the team sheet every week.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 31 Dec - 20:49

I think there might be a lot of changes at the Liberty at the end of the season.
The reason I think this is because of the level of dissent on the Ospreys forum, any time you wrote anything critical the thread would be locked, you couldn't run polls about sacking coaches and certainly not criticise the region, yet a quick look on the forum, at the thread names and you see this:

POLL: Do you have confidence in our coaching staff?
What's wrong with the Ospreys
Johnson - Grow Up !
Season Ticket Poll
Garbage
Who will replace Johnson?
How we can move forward
What does Andrew Hore actually do?
discontinue director of coaching role?
Total Shocker
Sean Holley should be next
Who is really to blame for the shambles that is the O's
The Ospreys & The Future

It would seem management have no interest in defending their staff at the moment, hence why they may be sacked.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down