The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGahan set to leave at the end of the season

+22
Gibson
Pot Hale
Feckless Rogue
rodders
BlueMuff
MunsterMac
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Sin é
dublin_dave
marty2086
geoff998rugby
Standulstermen
Mickado
doctornickolas
eirebilly
gowales
Notch
rawa86
Rory_Gallagher
red_stag
ME-109
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

McGahan set to leave at the end of the season Empty McGahan set to leave at the end of the season

Post by ME-109 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

Apparently Tony is off back to Aus at the end of the season, to the national setup I believe from reports. Been at Munster since 05, and head coach since 08.

Mixed feelings about this but would like to see Axel take over with possibly Bradley as backs coach. These would be my preferences.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

McGahan set to leave at the end of the season Empty Tony McGahan to leave Munster

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

Munster coach Tony McGahan is stepping down at end of season to take up a new post as Quantas Wallabies defence coach where he joins Robbie Deans and former Munster player and coach Jim Williams.

It leaves us all wondering who will be Munsters next coach.

- Anthony Foley. Captained Munster to their first ever Heineken Cup win in 2006. He was has shot through the coaching ranks as coach of the Munster U20s, Munster A Team and Munster Assistant Coach where he has been in charge of both defence (last year) and forwards (this year). It may be that little bit to early for Axel though.

- Michael Bradley. A former Munster and Ireland player who went on to coach Connacht and was a caretaker coach for Ireland during a tour to NZ and Australia. Currently doing excellent in the Heineken Cup with new team Edinburgh. However I understand that he has just signed a 2 year extension to remain with Edinburgh.

- Eddie O'Sullivan. The coach who IMO produced the best rugby Ireland ever played. As with Bradley and Foley he himself is a Munster man and is a man who could unleash the potential of the Munster backline. However he left Ireland with a tarnished reputation and players biographies were critical of his man management.

- Wayne Smith. Has been assistant coach to the New Zealand All Blacks for the past 7 years and was their head coach before that. Would bring new ideas and a wealth of knowledge to Munster. Would he be able to buy into the ethos of Munster - a criticism often levied at McGahan.

- Conor O'Shea. The current darling in terms of Irish rugby coaching. Orchestrated the downfall of Munster in last seasons Amlin Cup and helped to drag Quins out of the Bloodgate fiasco. However he has a long term deal at the Stoop and is understood to have poor relationship with IRFU.

Any other suggestions?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

McGahan set to leave at the end of the season Empty Re: McGahan set to leave at the end of the season

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

Yo DOD, still waiting to hear what you are talking about when you implied I have been name-calling.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

McGahan set to leave at the end of the season Empty Re: McGahan set to leave at the end of the season

Post by newbie Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:02 pm

I like McGahan at Munster I thought he did a very good job in the transition from Kidney. He got a bit of stick over the last couple of years and maybe he didnt move to bring in new players sooner or expose them sooner but he is certainly doing it this year.

I do think that Foley has been one of the main reasons why Munster have done well this year but not sure if he is a good option as head coach. Bradley is doing great in Edinburgh and would surely like a move to Munster but its hard to see that happening as well. What about an outsider...another SH coach to give Foley some more time to develop

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm

John Kirwan? Thought he did very well with Italy but never saw too much of japan when he was there.

Nick Mallet?

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm

As I said on the other thread...I agree that it might be too early for Foley. I dont think O'Shea would suit the Munster way and Smith might be a better fit.

I think its unfair to criticise McGahan in terms of buying into the Munster ethos. For a guy to be there since 2005 and part of both Heineken Cup wins its doesnt really hold.

I like the idea of Smith but would he go for it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm

Bradley and O'Shea out of the running- I understand they've signed new deals with Edinburgh and Harlequins respectively. John Kirwan would definitely be available; he has been angling for the Ulster job although Ulster don't seem to want him. A move to another Irish province would probably appeal. Wayne Smith may find himself in a 'Tommy Bowe-esque' situation with two Irish provinces after his services.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm

Also Jim Williams could be a possibility along with maybe Pat Lam and even Graham Henry.

. . . . . .Sean Holley???
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm

Is Jim williams really much of an option considering Foley is working with the forwards.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm

Newbie I would like us to slightly evolve the Munster way. The Munster way was always about a solid pack who operate as that - a pack. There is nothing that says the Munster way also involves having a shoite backline. We have a good backline next season - Earls, Zebo, Howlett, Felix Jones, Laulala, Downey, Barnes, Hurley, Murphy etc - however I worry that we need a coach who can get them working properly as a backline to compliment our pack.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm

Jeez stag maybe the Pope will go for the job....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:25 pm

rawa86 wrote:Is Jim williams really much of an option considering Foley is working with the forwards.

Foley has held other roles with us - he was defence coach before he was at the forwards.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:26 pm

DOD wrote:Jeez stag maybe the Pope will go for the job....

Brent? Cool
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm

I dont think Kirwan would fit.

How about Mallet he is available?

How about Foley and Howlett (if Bradley isnt available).
I would like to see a Munster coach and Foley is ready in my view.

God no not a Marys man..the Young Munster crowd would keel over. How about Hooky...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm

red_stag wrote:Newbie I would like us to slightly evolve the Munster way. The Munster way was always about a solid pack who operate as that - a pack. There is nothing that says the Munster way also involves having a shoite backline. We have a good backline next season - Earls, Zebo, Howlett, Felix Jones, Laulala, Downey, Barnes, Hurley, Murphy etc - however I worry that we need a coach who can get them working properly as a backline to compliment our pack.

+1

Although with Foley there I think there he will keep things going the munster way. I wonder if they feel there is a need to find a successor quickly or will they take there time. A good run in the rest of the heineken will make it a more appealing job.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

red_stag wrote:
rawa86 wrote:Is Jim williams really much of an option considering Foley is working with the forwards.

Foley has held other roles with us - he was defence coach before he was at the forwards.

But it's not likely they going to move him form that post considering the improvement in the pack since he took over.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

*from

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:31 pm

DOD wrote:I dont think Kirwan would fit.

How about Mallet he is available?

How about Foley and Howlett (if Bradley isnt available).
I would like to see a Munster coach and Foley is ready in my view.

God no not a Marys man..the Young Munster crowd would keel over. How about Hooky...

I agree - Foley is the man for me. I love the idea of Howlett replacing Dutchy.

Could Brian McLaughlin find a place at Munster?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:37 pm

McLauglin...no. I dont like the way Ulster play and its bad enough trying to understand the Limerick accents. We would all have to learn Afrikaans...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:41 pm

Rawa I suspect Musnter'll wait until they pummel Ulster in the Heineken Cup. Remember Ulster need a head coach too and that would put us firmly in driving seat for any negotiations.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm

Ya think so too. I would prefer it to be a munster man as well.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

Would Mike Ruddock be an option?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

I would like to see Foley get the job.

There are a couple of Rugby league defence coaches looking for a job. Might be worth looking into that option?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:54 am

gowales wrote:Would Mike Ruddock be an option?

Blimey, I got up early today to suggest a certain U20 coach and GoWales set his alarm even earlier. cuppa

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:21 am

Steady Eddie would suit Munster down to the ground.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:38 am

red_stag wrote:Rawa I suspect Musnter'll wait until they pummel Ulster in the Heineken Cup. Remember Ulster need a head coach too and that would put us firmly in driving seat for any negotiations.

Ah Jesus, I hope we ave our guy sorted by then,if not announced then signed at least. I'm surprised that you guys would want foley. I thought it would betoo early for him but then he has done a good job with the forwards.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:25 am

red_stag wrote:Rawa I suspect Musnter'll wait until they pummel Ulster in the Heineken Cup. Remember Ulster need a head coach too and that would put us firmly in driving seat for any negotiations.

Even if not official I would expect Ulster to be sorted by then.

The QF will make no difference to who the next Ulster or Munster coaches will be and nor should it

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

Could we see a bidding war break out between the 2 provinces

Undoubtedly whoever either go for will have agents saying they have interest from the other province driving prices up

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

kidney, gert smal forwards coach, kiss defence and backs coach maybe

foley and bradley would be a good combination i reckon

mc gahan has done a decent job in a time of transition.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

marty2086 wrote:Could we see a bidding war break out between the 2 provinces

Undoubtedly whoever either go for will have agents saying they have interest from the other province driving prices up

I don't think Munster would fall for that one! They would tell whoever tried that to shove it as they wouldn't want him in the first place. Likewise I'd imagine with David Humphreys.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

marty2086 wrote:Could we see a bidding war break out between the 2 provinces

Ulster have already interviewed 3 people so I doubt any direct competition.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:43 am

But Geoff, surely these people are also free to be interviewed by Munster also. And anyone who would like to coach 1 Irish province would be likely to be interested in doing an interview for another to cover their bases.

Imagine two rival companies need to employ a person for the same job. They are going to be looking in the same pool of candidates. Of course there is a strong chance of direct competition.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

red_stag wrote:But Geoff, surely these people are also free to be interviewed by Munster also. And anyone who would like to coach 1 Irish province would be likely to be interested in doing an interview for another to cover their bases.

Imagine two rival companies need to employ a person for the same job. They are going to be looking in the same pool of candidates. Of course there is a strong chance of direct competition.

Seem to me as if they are quite different jobs as David Humphreys is Director of Rugby in Ulster. The job in Munster is for the Director of Rugby. (Garret Fitz & new coach will be the two top dogs, Ulster's top dogs are Logan & Humphreys).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

Someone who will promote running/attacking rugby please!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Someone who will promote running/attacking rugby please!

Personally, I'd prefer winning rugby!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

I'm not too hung up on it having to be a Munster man.

I think it's far more important that we get the right man.

Having said that Axel might be the best choice.

Like many of the hardcore Munster support I won't be too unhappy that McGahan has decided to move on.

I think he bit off too much when he took over and tried to change too much too soon.

Right from the first HC match against Montuaban you could see things weren't right.

He dumped the 'Munster Way' and tried to introduce free flowing rugby far too soon and without enough of a transition period and it back fired badly on him resulting in Munster being in a state of flux for a couple of seasons.

It's only since the Osprey's debacle last season that things have started to improve but to be honest I believe alot of that is more down to Axel's influence and the exit of Laurie Fisher than McGahan suddenly seeing the light.

I wish him well and maybe a return to defensive coaching is for the best.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

Stag if the name I am hearing is correct Munster will not be interviewing him and he would choose Ulster over Munster anyway.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:45 am

Really dissappointed with this news - think he has done a good job in rebuilding an ageing team (mind you it has been ageing since 2002).

Finished very strongly last season and would have done better in the HC if we had props that could hold up the scrum. Not to sure he has moved away from traditional Munster that much - more think he has sought a good balance.

In terms of new Coach my preference would be

1. Axel - limited experience but agree with Stags points abobe

2. COS - not exactly Munster but definitely has a good rugby brain and has done very well at Quinns.

3. Williams - would be great to have him back

Dont want

1. EOS
2. Bradly

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Stag if the name I am hearing is correct Munster will not be interviewing him and he would choose Ulster over Munster anyway.

Sure who wouldn't Geoff? Why join a side on the way down when you can join one on the way up?......
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

Sin é wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Someone who will promote running/attacking rugby please!

I think you will find that teams playing attacking/running rugby are winning more than those who are not.

Defensive forward based rugby is going to become less and less successful as rugby progresses.

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

think he has done a good job in rebuilding an ageing team (mind you it has been ageing since 2002).

My own opinion Bluemuff is that Munster were in a position in 2008 to kick on from the HC win.

Afterall the backbone of the team including Horan, Flannery, Ryan, POC, DOC, Wallace, Leamy, ROG, Stringer, TOL, Hurley, Mafi, Warwick, Earls and Howlett still had at least a couple of years left in them.

Yes we needed new personnel and we needed to evolve our game as is always the case but I do believe that it was handled badly and rather than kick on Munster actually regressed in the following couple of years.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I think you will find that teams playing attacking/running rugby are winning more than those who are not.

Defensive forward based rugby is going to become less and less successful as rugby progresses.

+1000000

The game has moved on. Munster have some really young exciting backs who will be perfect for some attacking rugby.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

I think if Munsters backs could play attacking rugby we would be winning matches comfortably (look at how we did against Northampton Saints with a bit of flair on top of a solid pack (minus the scrum)
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

It will make Munster a complete team (at least more complete) because right now there are a number of players who are still stuck in an archaic way of playing (like with the national team). It's about idententifying and exploting space, overlaps and mismatches. Running dummy lines from depth at pace. Offloading at the right time. Running support lines. The whole team needs to be doing it.

Guys like Varley, Horan, DOC, POC, Coughlan are not players who see space they see old traditional values of safey, tuck it under the jumper and set up another phase.

Earls, Zebo, Mafi are great at seeing space for themselves but quite poor at seeing others in space, tunnel vision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

I thought he was doing really well since the European disappointments last year. Pro 12 Champions and now top seeds in the HEC. So I'm surprised he's leaving after turning things around.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

I wonder will Felix Jones get his place easily back? To me Denis Hurley is comfortable the most under rated player in the Munster team this season. His handling and vision have been spectacular.

I thought he has been instrumental in unleashing other players. He was superb in Niall Ronan's try against Scarlets and also Zebo's against Saints.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

No player should be able to just walk into their shirt tbh, they should have to show why they deserve to be selected. However the Jones of last season was a real talent. The thing is, I really want to see Earls given a go at 15 again. Seriously, it is his best position. I am a huge fan of dangerous counter attacking 15s.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Rory I also really like him at fullback though you have to be realistic. When we have Denis Hurley and Felix Jones we aren't going to be able to accomodate Earls at 15. However we do need him as a winger and for now at centre.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:50 pm

Well Hurley plays wing also doesn't he? Plus with two more centre signings it seems Earls is going to be at wing mostly. I'm sure a swap could be made. Jones is fantastic, but Earls offers something different from 15, that I would like to see tested and tried more. An extra running threat who is a very dangerous finisher.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:54 pm

He does but Hurley is also a creative player (one of our few). I would rather have him or Jones creating space for Earls on the outside.

I just dont see its a realistic option for us though he is a great little fullback when given consistent gametime. He could even remain at 13 next year:

HEC: Murray, O'Gara, Zebo, Laulala, Earls, Howlett, Jones
PRO12: O'Leary, Keatley, Murphy, Downey, Laulala, Howlett, Hurley
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next