The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State of the Union

2 posters

Go down

State of the Union Empty State of the Union

Post by SB Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm still seeing off some aches and pains from the annual '1st XV vs Exiles' Boxing Day match, so typing this has been a challenge! But I wanted to see what everyone using the 606 forum think about the state of Rugby Union in the Northern Hemisphere at this present moment.

The year 2011 will be remembered in England for particularly mixed reasons - initially optimism for winning the Six Nations title (even though a loss to Ireland wiped the opportunity of a Grandslam). But then came along that disastrous World Cup campaign, with numerous stories leading to the 'Twikileaks' saga. But this hasn't seemed to wipe the appetite of some for Rugby, with Twickenham being filled to capacity for a league game between Quins and Saracens.

In Ireland, Leinster can fill Lansdowne Road (the 'Aviva Stadium'? - no thank you) seemingly at will for the big games, along with Munster filling Thomond Park. However, attendances in Wales and Scotland have been of concern with too many empty seats. Former Cardiff supremo Gareth Davies says it's a "conundrum" how Wales test matches can sell out at 75,000 and yet the club attendances are so low.

In France, the game seems to be going from strength to strength. The economic cradle of world club Rugby it would seem, the stars are flocking there due to the lack of a salary cap and big spending chairmen using their powers to push the clubs to success. Even traced back to the 1930s, a book called 'The Rise of French Rugby' which was authored by Alex Potter and Georges Duthen wrote: "The mass of fans loved the international games; for the club championship, it had a passion. The sporting community, particularly in the south of France, seemed to live for this competition. Local rivalries, especially in the regional finals, were white hot. Qualify at any cost was the motto. Nothing was barred. Brutal play grew. Brawls, pugilistics and worse broke out almost everywhere".

So, how is Rugby doing at the moment do you feel? An economic driver to becoming one of the most popular sports in Europe (behind Football) or has it a way to go still?
SB
SB

Back to top Go down

State of the Union Empty Re: State of the Union

Post by Glas a du Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:49 am

Attendances in Wales and Scotland are improving. It is no coincidence that these are the places where the old club structure has broken down in favour of artificial regions. Ireland always had their four provinces and the history, culture and rivalry was there to tap into. The Rabo is doing the business in terms if player development, but away fan cross border attendances are pathetic. It is coming though. I forsee a new breed of Welsh rugby fan, the 'regions' fan. He will support his village side and attend Internationals at Cardiff. He has no affinity to any particular region as they did the dirty on (insert club name here) but likes to watch first class rugby so will attend the home matches of (Ospreys and Dragons) (Ospreys and Scarlets) (Blues and Dragons) or, is a West Walian living in Cardiff and gets to see the Scarlets when he can but will call in to watch the Blues if they are at home. In my instance I am a Scarlets fan, but my parents are Ospreys. Sometimes I go with them to the Library as I haven't had my quota of boredom that month.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down