The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nullus Impetus

+17
oxring
The Galveston Giant
Super D Boon
Steffan
Mind the windows Tino.
azania
mckay1402
huw
HumanWindmill
johnson2
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
Union Cane
coxy0001
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Nullus Impetus Empty Nullus Impetus

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

There is a lack of impulse in Boxing.

Contrived or otherwise the last twelve months have seen a lack of impulse in boxing. On one hand i could name the amount of significant happenings inside or outside of the ring that have sprung from impulse. Ortiz vs Mayweather, an impulsive, emotional driven headbutt (or ten). And now i struggle to find more...

The sport has become predictable, and this opinion is only further proven by the outstanding minds that have graced the boards in 2012. We know what promoters are doing when they say one thing and do another. We know what boxers are going to do when they go into the ring. We see the punches, so to speak. The way money dictates fights, the way belts are manufactured to be held rather than earned. It is not impulsive.

Mike Tyson was impulsive; the way he spoke, the way he walked, the way he fought. What Lewis could do in the ring when at his best and focused, could be impulsively brilliant. The way Naz danced and poked and jabbed and dazzled was impulsive, no, instinctual. We have seen impulsive anger, we have seen it in Benn, we have seen it in Morales, Barrera and so many more greats of years gone by. Greats that even when in their prime, even when dictating fights and gaining riches, could be impulsive, delightfully impulsive. Roy Jones Junior would grace our television screens with dazzling skills that were impulsive, reckless (behind the back KO's) and completely instinctual. Now, even his sleepy wilts to the floor seem preempted. Ricky Hatton, for all his donkey riddled floors could do things that were so plainly impulsive all you could do in return was stand and applaud such transparency in the ring.

In press conferences, have we been shocked? In deal making have we seen a deal that was made out of the impulsive need to see two fighters go at it? Well, maybe with Groves vs Degale, maybe. That would be two times. When walking to the ring, when staring down an opponent, when the bell rings and two men come together, is impulse there? I'm not sure. I'm not sure if it is at the moment.

I'm not sure it has to be prominent either. I know this sport as a sweet science, an exhibition of skill and bravery, of intelligence and pride. I know this sport relies on so many things in order for a boxer to succeed. But i also know this. Impulse has its place in the way we love someone, in the way we talk to a friend, how we smile and walk and decide what to have for lunch. It is in us gentlemen.

But is it still in boxing?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Nullus Impetus Empty Re: Nullus Impetus

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

I'll be having a drink tomorrow night after a long week Davide..

Maybe I'll be in a better position to post on your thread then....

Maybe we can start a philosophy section on here.....

You certainly are deep...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

Thank you TRUSS, i feel we have lot's to share and debate. Enjoy that drink and i look forward to your cultured viewpoint.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

Looking forward to it in a philosophical kind of way..

I used to write poetry and recite it to Jo....

She married me anyway...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

You have a voice that stirs debate and interaction. Opinions valued. My girlfriend finds my poetry girly, regardless, we have been steady for a while.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

Hoping for some sterling debate and heavy hitter opinion on this one today. Rowley, Azania, Boon and the rest, come join me please.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

So what you're saying is you want to see someone attempt a drop kick off a car in a car park? Or burn someones flag in a press conference?

This isn't the WWF davide, if you want a bit of showmanship i'm sure there's probably some wrasslin on tv over the weekend.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

coxy0001 wrote:So what you're saying is you want to see someone attempt a drop kick off a car in a car park?

I was watching that just yesterday, a classic moment.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

As a moderator i hope you find it in yourself to contribute to the thread in a topical and stimulating way, Union. And coxxy, if you feel you do not have the ability to contribute to what has been described as a philosophical question, please feel free to write an article about how Tyson had a hard punch. Or something.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

davidemore, you're contradicting yourself. Remind me, what were you like as a poster on the old board? From my hazy memory you were an attention seeking psycho.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

Oh coxy, how i could swat you away with a few you easy put downs, how i could rub you in the dirt, but i will not. You see coxy, i am offering stimulating debate, intellect and an article that allows one to express and respond. You are offering musings on what i used to be. The past is the past coxy, we all have to move on, and with 2012 being so young, your angst seems so old.

New beginnings coxy, they are here whether you want them or not...

Debate with me or leave my thread please.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

Don't think there is a lack of impetus the sport is just in something of a slump, is a cliche but the sport is often defined by the strength of the heavyweight division and it is in a low ebb, even the champions, as sterling and admirable as they may be are not guys that set the pulse going, unfortunately the one guy out there with the personality to polarise opinion and set tongues wagging is Floyd and he fights less reguarly than me, even Haye who for all his myriad faults raises a degree of interest shows no desire to be much more than a part time side show.

The sport has had some bad luck, guys who were touted as the next ppv stars such as Taylor, Lacy and Pavlik have all turned out to be busted flushes and Valero who certainly appeared to fit the bill of the kind of impulsive guy you talk about turned out to be a little too susceptable to impulses outside the ring.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

Rowley i agree. The heavyweight division is symbolic of Champion and at the moment has two of the nicest but also most boring champions ever to grace the ring. We know what the drones are going to do, and although great businessmen, we can see their moves outside of the ring almost as easily as their jabs. In short they lack any impulsive behavior.

I like Kell Brook, he seems like he is willing to be outspoken in the right way and in the ring tries things that seem to be impulsive?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

I mean boxing seems to have become predictable, right?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Surely in Rios we potentially have a world level Gatti on the horizon?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

davidemore wrote:I mean boxing seems to have become predictable, right?

Hopkins / Dawson?
Klitschko / Solis?
Martinez / Barker?

We'll see how predictable it is when the UCPL kicks off again, I expect to see you right at the top.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

I predicted two out of three of those spot on, gold star for me Union?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

Union you have given injury and an off night for Martinez as unpredictable? Wow, your reply was unpredictable, unpredictable in the way how weak your response is. Sorry Union but that is poor.

Brandon Rios, he indeed is a banger.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

I'm obviously a level below you Davide, I shall pollute your thread no more.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Thank you Union, i am sure Azania has something you can speak on, something a little nearer the bathroom.

Debate good men?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

coxy0001 wrote:davidemore, you're contradicting yourself. Remind me, what were you like as a poster on the old board? From my hazy memory you were an attention seeking psycho.

This isnt Davidemore. It is a poor imitation.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

It is Davide, he was always a literate and intelligent geezer, he just prefered to act the goat on 606, however as he appears to want to debate boxing in an adult fashion on here he should be treated accordingly

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

Doesn't matter one iota if he's Billy The Kid. Provided he stays within House Rules - which he has - he's entitled to the same rights, respect and courtesy to which everybody else is entitled.

Let's get back on topic.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

I tried to debate with him, and look what happened.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

Thank you Rowley!

Of all the insults thrown at me, and i include the one that involved me being dead, being called an imitation of myself is very much up there, so for that i applaud your originality Johnson.

Now, if you would like to throw in on a big idea that may make me look like someone who has a cultured opinion (heavens forbid) please feel free to do so Johnson.

Rowley, again i thank you.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Union we debated well, but there were some shenanigans that had to be removed from our exchange.

I do enjoy your company though, Union.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

I though men couldn't help acting on impulse?

I'm not sure it's the impulse that is lacking or geniune characters. Sport's personalities have become washed down in a era when making any form of statement gets torn appart on so many levels.

People are becoming dull to protect themselves.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

I would tend to agree that Boxing has lost some impetus. It seems that people are going through the motions. Not the fighters (well not all of them) but the promoters and the boards. Boxing needs a shake up but there are too many self intested people making bucks to do it. If there was a central authority it would be possible but as there isn't one, to create one would split the sport.

Not sure about the showmanship. There was a bit of nonsense between Clev and Bellew but even that seemed a bit contrived and cynical even though there's meant to be genuine needle between them.

In conclusion there aren't enough great boxers with big personalities. Maybe another depression would launch another golden age...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

I suppose even though Klitschko's and Manny Pacqiaou's are nice guys, they are very much on the borign side.

Put it like this though, it seems every time someone opens there mouth and says something using some form of impulse like Khan or whatever they get ripped to shreds.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

Alex raises an interesting point. With the internet being a huge influence on boxers, Twitter, Facebook, the blogs and forums. Shouldn't we be seeing more impulsive reactions? If a Labour MP can make racist comments on Twitter, then why are we having a go at boxers for talking their corner? Rightly or wrongly.

After JMM vs Pac, when the results were being read, Arum was all over JMM, in his ear, telling him stuff. Funnily enough JMM heads straight to his locker room once the result is read out. Shouldn't we be seeing what he feels straight after the fight? Impulsive reactions are a part of the sport. A boxer is sexless and cooped up before a fight, they deserve to speak, rightly or wrongly.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

huw wrote:I though men couldn't help acting on impulse?

I'm not sure it's the impulse that is lacking or geniune characters. Sport's personalities have become washed down in a era when making any form of statement gets torn appart on so many levels.

People are becoming dull to protect themselves.

Bingo. It seems many like fighters to be 'classy', 'humble' and graceful. Give me a break. That is simply boring. Take Floyd. If he were classy an humble, no-one would be talking about him. Now he's bought a white bentley as a going away present, posted some outrageous stuff on twitter and generally come out with things to keep his bad boy image going. He is a character and what boxing needs.

Ricky Burns is a classy, humble and all round nice guy. Who outside of his immediate family knows who he is? DeGale gets ridiculed. But he's talked about. Groves who beat him is still trailing in his wake. Groves is a nice, humble and classy kid. That equaly boring and a hinderance to his career.

Develop a personality.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

I think Groves has a good personality, you don't always need an outrageous personality, sometimes you just need for people to like you.

If everyone had an outrageous personality I think it would get boring and a bit tedious.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I think Groves has a good personality, you don't always need an outrageous personality, sometimes you just need for people to like you.

If everyone had an outrageous personality I think it would get boring and a bit tedious.

Groves is a normal everyday person. Nice kid. But still more is written about DeGale. Preciselt because DeGale talks the talk. Helping grannies with their shopping is not going to do anything for boxing.

You dont have to be outrageous either. Look at Hatton. Massive fan base because of his footie stuff. Unless you are dynamic in the ring (Pac) you should do something to stand out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

Helping grannies with their shopping is not going to do anything for boxing.

I disagree. Floyd could've got community service helping old ladies with their shopping, thus freeing up a potential fight with Manny.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

Become a PR consultant then Az, your talents are clearly wasted.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Helping grannies with their shopping is not going to do anything for boxing.

I disagree. Floyd could've got community service helping old ladies with their shopping, thus freeing up a potential fight with Manny.

Tumbleweed

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Become a PR consultant then Az, your talents are clearly wasted.

Ha. I'd rather work with honest people like the cosa nostra.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

Keep on topic please alex, career suggestions, however good, are not called for.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

azania wrote:

Groves is a normal everyday person. Nice kid. But still more is written about DeGale. Preciselt because DeGale talks the talk.

Am sure it has nowt to do with the Olympic Gold medal.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

Floyd is a convicted criminal and woman beater, he is lucky with the sentence given and regardless of what it does to Pac Man i am happy to see him stand trial. He acted on impulse in the wrong way, slapping a woman is not what i was hoping for when discussing boxers and impulse.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

rowley wrote:
azania wrote:

Groves is a normal everyday person. Nice kid. But still more is written about DeGale. Preciselt because DeGale talks the talk.

Am sure it has nowt to do with the Olympic Gold medal.

It maybe so. But Groves has hardly made more of a name for himself after beating DeGale. Maybe he is oning his skills as Booth said. But get your name out there. Get known. Be seen at a london club with 3 slappers or something.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

davidemore wrote:Floyd is a convicted criminal and woman beater, he is lucky with the sentence given and regardless of what it does to Pac Man i am happy to see him stand trial. He acted on impulse in the wrong way, slapping a woman is not what i was hoping for when discussing boxers and impulse.

Don King said when he came out of prison. "I made Time work for me". Floyd will do the same and creating another marketting exercise to keep his name up there. He'll be out in March and fight in May.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

I was joking Az by the way....

He has talents to waste?

And bearing in mind whatsherface Lohan got 31 days and served about 2 minutes i somehow doubt he'll be doing his 'thang' in the showers for more than a week.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

coxy0001 wrote:I was joking Az by the way....

He has talents to waste?

And bearing in mind whatsherface Lohan got 31 days and served about 2 minutes i somehow doubt he'll be doing his 'thang' in the showers for more than a week.

I gathered it was a joke. It fell flat. He'll spend less than 60 days, just to teach him a lesson. Watch the money men from Vegas put pressure on the authorities to release him earlier (behind the scenes of course whilst denying any pressure).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

Azania regardless he is a bad man. And i am glad he will serve time. His talent is undeniable, his instinct to do wrong also.

You may have many things in common with this man... forgive me, that comment was crass and uncalled for. But regardless, you stir debate well, Azania.

This kind of impulse has no place in boxing and in my opinion, tarnishes the sport.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:35 pm

davidemore wrote:Azania regardless he is a bad man. And i am glad he will serve time. His talent is undeniable, his instinct to do wrong also.

You may have many things in common with this man... forgive me, that comment was crass and uncalled for. But regardless, you stir debate well, Azania.

This kind of impulse has no place in boxing and in my opinion, tarnishes the sport.

What comment was crass? What he did was out of line and 3 months is not enough. Does everyone have to state the obvious before getting to the meat of the subject?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

No Azania they do not. Stating the obvious is not called for, and me calling you crass is not called for either. Although, it does indeed give me a little bit of the funnies.

Who is your number one impulse fighter?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

davidemore wrote:No Azania they do not. Stating the obvious is not called for, and me calling you crass is not called for either. Although, it does indeed give me a little bit of the funnies.

What do you mean impulse fighters? My No 1 fighter is Ali, followed by Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Matlala and many more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

davidemore wrote:

Bajoran impulse fighter; An impulse-driven, near-planet craft that can use only thrusters within planetary atmosphere; armed with Bajoran phaser banks.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

There is your winner.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:58 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
davidemore wrote:

Bajoran impulse fighter; An impulse-driven, near-planet craft that can use only thrusters within planetary atmosphere; armed with Bajoran phaser banks.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nice.

There is your winner.

Huh?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum