The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nullus Impetus

+17
oxring
The Galveston Giant
Super D Boon
Steffan
Mind the windows Tino.
azania
mckay1402
huw
HumanWindmill
johnson2
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
Union Cane
coxy0001
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Nullus Impetus - Page 2 Empty Nullus Impetus

Post by davidemore Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There is a lack of impulse in Boxing.

Contrived or otherwise the last twelve months have seen a lack of impulse in boxing. On one hand i could name the amount of significant happenings inside or outside of the ring that have sprung from impulse. Ortiz vs Mayweather, an impulsive, emotional driven headbutt (or ten). And now i struggle to find more...

The sport has become predictable, and this opinion is only further proven by the outstanding minds that have graced the boards in 2012. We know what promoters are doing when they say one thing and do another. We know what boxers are going to do when they go into the ring. We see the punches, so to speak. The way money dictates fights, the way belts are manufactured to be held rather than earned. It is not impulsive.

Mike Tyson was impulsive; the way he spoke, the way he walked, the way he fought. What Lewis could do in the ring when at his best and focused, could be impulsively brilliant. The way Naz danced and poked and jabbed and dazzled was impulsive, no, instinctual. We have seen impulsive anger, we have seen it in Benn, we have seen it in Morales, Barrera and so many more greats of years gone by. Greats that even when in their prime, even when dictating fights and gaining riches, could be impulsive, delightfully impulsive. Roy Jones Junior would grace our television screens with dazzling skills that were impulsive, reckless (behind the back KO's) and completely instinctual. Now, even his sleepy wilts to the floor seem preempted. Ricky Hatton, for all his donkey riddled floors could do things that were so plainly impulsive all you could do in return was stand and applaud such transparency in the ring.

In press conferences, have we been shocked? In deal making have we seen a deal that was made out of the impulsive need to see two fighters go at it? Well, maybe with Groves vs Degale, maybe. That would be two times. When walking to the ring, when staring down an opponent, when the bell rings and two men come together, is impulse there? I'm not sure. I'm not sure if it is at the moment.

I'm not sure it has to be prominent either. I know this sport as a sweet science, an exhibition of skill and bravery, of intelligence and pride. I know this sport relies on so many things in order for a boxer to succeed. But i also know this. Impulse has its place in the way we love someone, in the way we talk to a friend, how we smile and walk and decide what to have for lunch. It is in us gentlemen.

But is it still in boxing?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Nullus Impetus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nullus Impetus

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
davidemore wrote:
Who is your number one impulse fighter?

Bajoran impulse fighter; An impulse-driven, near-planet craft that can use only thrusters within planetary atmosphere; armed with Bajoran phaser banks.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

There is your winner.

I'd go for the Delta Flyer personally. Especially if I'm stuck in another galaxy with 7 of 9.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

Az and Tino

=

Spoiler:

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

coxy0001 wrote:Az and Tino

=

Spoiler:

Nice one OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

The "impulsive" fight that strikes me the most last year was Dawson v Hopkins. Dawson just slam dunked him and bellowed and beat his chest after the fight in a very aggressive manner..........I though boxing has finally lost it to the MMA! Boxers are allowed to win via a wrestling manoevre! Are now allowed to shoulder charge their foe and get given the win via TKO! Obviously the result was changed. Pretty impulsive stuff though.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

azania wrote:
I'd go for the Delta Flyer personally.

That's not even an Impulse Fighter though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

=

Spoiler:

Its star trek. And dont pretend you haven't watched it either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

Super D Boon wrote:The "impulsive" fight that strikes me the most last year was Dawson v Hopkins. Dawson just slam dunked him and bellowed and beat his chest after the fight in a very aggressive manner..........I though boxing has finally lost it to the MMA! Boxers are allowed to win via a wrestling manoevre! Are now allowed to shoulder charge their foe and get given the win via TKO! Obviously the result was changed. Pretty impulsive stuff though.

Dawson seems like a very angry man doesnt he. Even in interviews he drifts into Clubber Lang mode

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

azania wrote:

It can go from impulse to warp 9 faster than anything the Federation possessed. Plus it could fire proton torpedoes at warp speed. Beat that! Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:16 am

mind the windows please grow up Smile

Azania i mean a fighter who was impulsive by nature. Someone who acted seemingly randomly or spoke their mind or fought on impulse. Impulse in relation to boxing, someone who did things that seemed spontaneous.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:17 am

Stay on topic please, nice thread developing here.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

azania wrote:

=

Spoiler:

Genuinely never watched one. Guess I spent my youth with the opposite sex having a different kind of fun.

Can't all be studs I guess Wink

Number one impule fighter... Always found Tysons rants to be funny, if not a little over the top at times. Not a top ten heavy though.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

It can go from impulse to warp 9 faster than anything the Federation possessed. Plus it could fire proton torpedoes at warp speed. Beat that! Very Happy

The Impulse Fighter is non-warp so I can't beat you on that respect. But, it is a nippy little beast, unlike the super heavy Delta.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

coxy0001 wrote:I was joking Az by the way....

Become a PR consultant then Az, your talents are clearly wasted.

And bearing in mind whatsherface Lohan got 31 days and served about 2 minutes i somehow doubt he'll be doing his 'thang' in the showers for more than a week.

That's the way i see it he won't be doing long if anything.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

davidemore wrote:mind the windows please grow up Smile

Azania i mean a fighter who was impulsive by nature. Someone who acted seemingly randomly or spoke their mind or fought on impulse. Impulse in relation to boxing, someone who did things that seemed spontaneous.

Ali

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

johnson2 wrote:
azania wrote:

=

Spoiler:

Genuinely never watched one. Guess I spent my youth with the opposite sex having a different kind of fun.

Number one impule fighter... Always found Tysons rants to be funny, if not a little over the top at times. Not a top ten heavy though.

You missed out. Were you trying to find the needle in thehaystack?

Tyson not a top 10 HW?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

Oh god, here we go again...... I give it 10mins before we've got Tyson vs Azania's #152nd rated heavyweight......

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:33 am

coxy0001 wrote:Oh god, here we go again...... I give it 10mins before we've got Tyson vs Azania's #152nd rated heavyweight......

Tumbleweed

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm

Maybe my idea was too big?maybe i expected too much from my fellow posters? i mean a cactus isn't what this article was aiming for. Although an interesting and very diligent plant.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

azania wrote:
johnson2 wrote:
azania wrote:

=

Spoiler:

Tyson not a top 10 HW?

NO. Not by a long way.

In no special order: Ali, Johnson, Dempsey, Foreman, Frazier, Marciano, Holmes, Lewis, Charles, Tunney, Jeffries, Holyfield, Vitali - I can make a better argument for all of the above - than Tyson.

Holyfield beat him twice. Douglas whipped him in Tokyo. His wins were impressive and he lit up the division and ignited interest in the sport of boxing - but his resume isn't top 10 material.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

davidemore wrote:Maybe my idea was too big?maybe i expected too much from my fellow posters? i mean a cactus isn't what this article was aiming for. Although an interesting and very diligent plant.

Laugh It's comments like this that make me glad you're back, D-man.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

Thanks Il Gialloblo!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

The jury is still out on you with me davidemore...

No offense like

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

Steffen i do not understand where this animosity comes from. Was it all the touching comments of years gone by? Look at my posts, so cultured, so committed to boxing.

I can only hope you don't judge me Steffen. I playing it straight this time.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

davidemore wrote:Steffen i do not understand where this animosity comes from. Was it all the touching comments of years gone by? Look at my posts, so cultured, so committed to boxing.

I can only hope you don't judge me Steffen. I playing it straight this time.

There is no animosity

Its just that I have opened up to so many people on here and trusted them only to be savagely let down that I cannot allow you back into my life that easily im afraid

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

Steffen, i too have been betrayed by the boards, but we cannot let them take our trust. Let me in Steffen, i can be good to you, we can talk...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

davidemore wrote:Steffen, i too have been betrayed by the boards, but we cannot let them take our trust. Let me in Steffen, i can be good to you, we can talk...

Start spelling my name right and il have a think about it Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:24 pm

Forgive me Steffan, it was my aloof move, but it back fired. Forgive me.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

I read a story about Tony Ayala breaking into a school teacher's house, brutally sexually assaulting her, then being found wandering naked in her garden by police...in January.

Is that the kind of impulse you were looking for David?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

Oxy, Tyson has to be above Vitali by a long long way, the 80's heavyweights weren't great by any stretch of the imagination but are a clear step up from the likes of Williams, Hide and Peter.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

No john bloody wayne it is not. that is a humorous remark about a tragic situation. come on john, this is good stuff, let it not become part of the dung pile.

Mike Tyson in the ring was impulsive, Lewis at his best, Naz, RRJ, that kind of impulse.

And just so you know, crimes like that, statistically, are usually by someone the victim knows, planned, and executed through the knowledge gained by the relationship. Hardly impulsive. More cowardice.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:
johnson2 wrote:
azania wrote:

=

Spoiler:

Tyson not a top 10 HW?

NO. Not by a long way.

In no special order: Ali, Johnson, Dempsey, Foreman, Frazier, Marciano, Holmes, Lewis, Charles, Tunney, Jeffries, Holyfield, Vitali - I can make a better argument for all of the above - than Tyson.

Holyfield beat him twice. Douglas whipped him in Tokyo. His wins were impressive and he lit up the division and ignited interest in the sport of boxing - but his resume isn't top 10 material.

Cant be based on his record.

So what if he lost to Holy. Ali lost 3 times to Norton (got giften twice). Why place so much emphasis on losses Tyson had yet ignore the losses Lewis, Tunney, Jeffries ( Laugh ) Johnson, Dempsey and others suffered? Tyson's record stands on its merit as a top 10 ATG. Certainly better than Rocky's record and Foremans, Dempsey, Holy's and more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

What Tunney losses were they then?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:44 pm

Dempsey should not be a top ten heavyweight Tyson would destroy him.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

Tyson was 'destroyed' by Douglas so therefore can't be a top ten heavyweight either

Lewis was 'destroyed' by Rahman and McCall
Ali was 'schooled' by Frazier
Frazier was 'destroyed' by Foreman
Foreman was 'schooled' by Ali

Not many fighters left for this top ten now.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:49 pm

Waingro wrote:Dempsey should not be a top ten heavyweight Tyson would destroy him.

Tyson shouldn't be a top ten heavy Marciano, Ali, Louis, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, Johnson, Lewis and V Klitschko would destroy him!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:51 pm

SugarRayRussell wrote:
Waingro wrote:Dempsey should not be a top ten heavyweight Tyson would destroy him.

Tyson shouldn't be a top ten heavy Marciano, Ali, Louis, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, Johnson, Lewis and V Klitschko would destroy him!

Tyson destroyed Holmes lol. Lewis and Ali would beat Tyson in his prime and maybe Marciano would to but the rest would lose imo.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

Waingro wrote:
SugarRayRussell wrote:

Tyson destroyed Holmes lol. Lewis and Ali would beat Tyson in his prime and maybe Marciano would to but the rest would lose imo.

Holmes was washed up by the time Tyson beat him. Johnson would lose? laughing
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

Tyson 'destroyed' a past his best Larry Holmes who had noticeably declined by the time of the Spinks fights a couple of years previously, need to remember how damm good Trevor Berbick was for 'destroying' Ali.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:54 pm

This would be my top ten.

1. Ali
2. Lewis
3. Tyson
4. Marciano
5. Foreman
6. Frazier
7. Holyfield
8. Holmes
9. Klitschko
10. Joe Louis

These guys all faced the best did not duck anyone and fought black and white fighters so they were proper champions.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

So basically the ten heavyweights you've heard of?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:
azania wrote:
johnson2 wrote:
azania wrote:

=

Spoiler:

Tyson not a top 10 HW?

NO. Not by a long way.

Cant be based on his record.

So what if he lost to Holy. Ali lost 3 times to Norton (got giften twice). Why place so much emphasis on losses Tyson had yet ignore the losses Lewis, Tunney, Jeffries ( Laugh ) Johnson, Dempsey and others suffered? Tyson's record stands on its merit as a top 10 ATG. Certainly better than Rocky's record and Foremans, Dempsey, Holy's and more.

I forgot. Ibeabuchi was in your top 15. Based on looking exciting and beating Byrd and Tua.

Seemingly, all you have to do to be rated by azania is look good, regardless of results or opposition.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

Yep, lets look at their opposition and results. Tyson - 8/9 defensed in 4 years. All average and above average fighters including 2 atgs.

How many did foreman, frazier, dempsey, johnson, tunney and rocky have? Lets ignore rocky as the concensus is that he fought and beat 4 beasts of atgs who fought the best they ever fought in their entire career even though they were washed up......all hail Berbick.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

What you find Oxy is that people aren't able to grasp how much it hurts Tyson losing a fight while in his best years and not avenging it.

Lewis avenged both of his losses
Dempsey lost to one of the best fighters of all time after an extended absence
Jeffries lost after 7 years out of the ring
Johnson lost when in his late 30's

You can't make any excuse for Tyson losing to Douglas.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:What Tunney losses were they then?

Hope you can remained mannered when there is a disagreement ghosty. Anyway he lost to a middleweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

Frazier had ten defences including wins over Ali, Quarry, Ellis and Foster before running into his worst nightmare, far outdoes Tyson beating Holmes, Spinks and the rest before losing to Douglas.

Foreman did destroy two great heavweights in Frazier and Norton before reclaiming the title almost 20 years later

Tyson just didn't do enough to make up for Douglas and Holyfield.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

azania wrote:

Hope you can remained mannered when there is a disagreement ghosty. Anyway he lost to a middleweight.

You mean a loss he avenged no less than 5 times to one of the top three fighters who ever lived? You mean that loss in the light heavyweight and not heavyweight division? That one?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

Oxy could you please put an end to this constant provocative behaviour? It's starting to get highly irritating.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:What you find Oxy is that people aren't able to grasp how much it hurts Tyson losing a fight while in his best years and not avenging it.

Lewis avenged both of his losses
Dempsey lost to one of the best fighters of all time after an extended absence
Jeffries lost after 7 years out of the ring
Johnson lost when in his late 30's

You can't make any excuse for Tyson losing to Douglas.

What excuse is that? Douglas fought a great fight and would have beaten most Hws that night or have been a handful for most. How come the same isn't applied to foreman for his loss to Young and not avenging it whilst in his best years. And Ali - Norton. The sae level of scrutiny is not applied to all. If you guys can be honest with yourselves you would agree with me. Yet you give that glorified clubfighter greatly elevated status for beating 4 washed up fighters. Mike spinks would have beaten him easily. \Schooled him even if he could punch through buildings and made superman wet himself.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

You mean a loss he avenged no less than 5 times to one of the top three fighters who ever lived? You mean that loss in the light heavyweight and not heavyweight division? That one?

A middleweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Oxy could you please put an end to this constant provocative behaviour? It's starting to get highly irritating.

So you think telling another poster to go F themselves is not provocative? my goodness you are like an old woman ghosty. quit bleating for help and grow a set please.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum