The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding!

+7
McLaren
John Cregan
princedracula
pedro
super_realist
navyblueshorts
Redrage
11 posters

Go down

Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding! Empty Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding!

Post by Redrage Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

In the beebs breaking news section it states that he has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding. The good news is that he shouldn't need surgery and can be hitting balls again in weeks rather than months. This is a nightmare for his RC chanes as he plays well in the gulf swing and he'll probably miss all of it and possibly the Bridgestone. I've avoided playing 7 asides for 2 months because I have a fitness test for a job and a half marathon to run in early march, I find it pretty silly and unprofessional that he has injured himself in this fashion right before the start of the season in an RC year. What are your thoughts on this?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding! Empty Re: Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding!

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 06 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

I tend to agree. What a wally. I guess if you're loaded already it makes less difference? If he was already a decent, regular snow boarder I might have some sympathy but if he's been doing it as a jolly it's a bit daft. If he's dislocated his shoulder properly, it might not be the same again short of surgery.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding! Empty Re: Paul Casey has dislocated his shoulder snow boarding!

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:10 am

He should just do a Mel Gibson in lethal weapon and push it back in himself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Shouldn't these golfers take care? If it isn't skiing, gocarting, surfing, boxing, it's something else than puts them out of business. Don't see that in other sports, do we?

If Casey is a decent snowboarder I also can't blame him too hard. Otherwise not.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

Personally don't have this extreme sports bug at all and don't quite understand it. Not sure about his snowboarding skills, but I know Casey is keen on these sort of sports and came across a couple of clips with him mountain biking. There's one of them...

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Steve-Peat-and-Paul-Casey-on-Crank-It-Up,4768/sspomer,2

I got dizzy watching that after about 30 seconds...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

It is the timing that I find silly. A couple of weeks before the season kicks off and you have a title to defend... there are safer ways to let off some steam.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm

A big deal about nothing really, he could hardly go snowboarding in the summer.
He could do his back in getting out of bed or could have a swing which damages his knee.
Chances of injury are pretty low for snowbaording anyway, I doubt he was backflipping off a cornice or catching ten feet of air in the half pipe. Just unfortunate. At least we aren't reading about Shane Lowry starting an avalanche.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 07 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

super_realist wrote:A big deal about nothing really, he could hardly go snowboarding in the summer.
He could do his back in getting out of bed or could have a swing which damages his knee.
Chances of injury are pretty low for snowbaording anyway, I doubt he was backflipping off a cornice or catching ten feet of air in the half pipe. Just unfortunate. At least we aren't reading about Shane Lowry starting an avalanche.
Received a sharp knock to the head S_R?
Getting out of bed is not optional and doing his knee playing golf is at least injury while pursuing your chosen living. I don't know what Casey was doing when injured but I'd disagree that the chance of injury is low. Compared to what, for example?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

It's not a particularly risky pursuit if you stay within your limits, which I'm sure he was doing, of course there is always the chance of an injury as there is in any sport but I would think that something like football would be more risky as its a contact sport, he could do an ankle out running, or pull a muscle in the gym,or fall off a bike etc, and plenty of sportsmen do those sort of things for fun. Therefore I don't think its anymore irresponsible to go boarding than many other options he could be doing.

Yes, it is his living and he can only compete when fit, but perhaps he sees life as too short to live in cotton wool, better to be happy doing something you like, than sitting at home, bored, wishing you were doing it.
It was a calculated risk for him, which on this occasion didn't work out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Seems a bit of a silly sport to be playing as a hobbie(what's wrong with snooker or darts!) but I suppose it's hard to criticise Casey given the fact that Golf is not a team game so the only person Casey is putting at risk is himself.....

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 07 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

True it's (hopefully) a calculated risk. Guess he can't be a hermit but a dislocated shoulder is exactly what I might expect to see quite frequently in any sport where your feet can go pretty quickly from under you. Reaction arm/elbow out to brace fall, full body weight hard onto ground, arm/elbow wrenched upwards against joint. Ouch.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

real shame for casey however he knew the risks of doing it, and it has gone wrong for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Quite a rare injury for a boarder actually navy, I've been a boarder for nearly twenty years and the most common injuries are wrist breaks or collarbones, usually by beginners falling at slow speeds, I've seen far worse skiing accidents as I think there's more scope for things to go wrong. I saw a skier dislocate their hip once. Heard he was in hospital for about a month. So it could have been much worse for Casey.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

I managed to miss about 1-2 months of football a few seasons back when I fell over in the queue for the ski lift. Twisted knee and some serious embarrassment. I actually skied on for the rest of the day and only noticed it was more serious when I got up the next day and could barely walk the next day.

I am not an experienced skier and cannot snow board to save myself. For us scots at least winter sports injuries dont interfere with the golf season.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

There are reports that a 50-y-o man almost severed his leg skiing at Stowe today. Thank goodness that didn't happen to our Paul.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:53 am

Hope it doesn't jeopardise his chances of getting into the Ryder Cup team.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

4putt wrote: Hope it doesn't jeopardise his chances of getting into the Ryder Cup team.

Well it definately will if he misses the Gulf swing and the Matchplay......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:09 am

4putt wrote: Hope it doesn't jeopardise his chances of getting into the Ryder Cup team.

There are so many exhibitions the players can choose from to play towards the back end of the season these days, I doubt if he will care about missing the Ryder cup.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:44 am

super_realist wrote:Quite a rare injury for a boarder actually navy, I've been a boarder for nearly twenty years and the most common injuries are wrist breaks or collarbones, usually by beginners falling at slow speeds, I've seen far worse skiing accidents as I think there's more scope for things to go wrong. I saw a skier dislocate their hip once. Heard he was in hospital for about a month. So it could have been much worse for Casey.

Agreed on that re injury types. I had a NY skiing in Andorra once. Weather was rubbish, icy snow and flat light. Lots of beginners zooming about on full pistes, our hotel was like a casualty ward by the end of the week. I'm a reasonably OK skier at best but I felt like Franz Klammer they week.
Snowboarding seems like scuba to me, seems to attract people who think they are experts after a week. The think is both sports are easy in benign conditions but change those variables and they are far more tricky.
Casey is a guy in his mid 30's, I don't begrudge him having fun while he's still a reasonably young man.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 09 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Paul Casey fashion sense, Oh dear... http://tiny.cc/a2p92

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down