The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another weird interview from Rafa

+10
carrieg4
break_in_the_fifth
Henman Bill
Jubbahey
Positively 4th Street
laverfan
amritia3ee
hawkeye
Mad for Chelsea
Tenez
14 posters

Go down

Another weird interview from Rafa Empty Another weird interview from Rafa

Post by Tenez Sat 07 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

1 - He says he took more risk than Monfils in his 2 sets defeat!?!?! From what I saw Monfils hit lots of winners so I am not sure Nadal took more risk.
2 - He admits that playing offensive v Gael was not the right tactic and needed to be more patient and play "slower" (his usual I guess) - That's what I always said. Should he start to play more agressive it might play in his opponents hands.
3 - We are learning he was injured at Wimby 2011 up to Cincy. Then that he was injured (knees) at the davis cup final and finally later on his shoulder!. Not sure he means before Paris or after...I guess probably both.
4 - they have added 3 grams to the top of his racquet. Not much but could have a positive effect. We shall see.

The whole interview there:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=76707

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Another weird interview from Rafa Empty Re: Another weird interview from Rafa

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:01 pm

Tenez wrote:... 4 - they have added 3 grams to the top of his racquet. ...
Are you saying that all the discussion and analysis here, the newspapers, sporting channels etc concerning Nadal using a heavier racket has been over a three gram increase only?
:facepalm:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

From the transcript:
Rafael Nadal wrote:...... I played all Wimbledon, injury. You are remember in my fourth against Del Potro? I had problems, so I finished the tournament playing with infiltrations every day. ...

Any suggestions (anyone?) as to what "infiltrations" corresponds to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm

painkilling injections I'd have thought, sounds like he tried to translate a Spanish word.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:painkilling injections I'd have thought, sounds like he tried to translate a Spanish word.
OK

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm

Tenez

I thought it was a good interview. What was "weird" about it?

From your link. This is what he said about trying to play aggresive against Monfils.

He can move the ball. He can move around the court very good. And the
court is not very fast, so is very difficult to hit a winner straight,
because his movements are fantastic, probably the best on the tour, no?

He appeared to be agreeing with you that slow courts make aggresive play difficult. No?

This is what he said about his injury problems and adding weight to his racquet

Q. Can you talk a little bit about the reason why your new racquet
is a little bit heavier? And when did you think about that and when did
you decide to try this?

RAFAEL NADAL: We thought about that after Wimbledon, but I, you know, I
was injured. I played all Wimbledon, injury. You are remember in my
fourth against Del Potro? I had problems, so I finished the tournament
playing with infiltrations every day.
So after Wimbledon I had to stop for three weeks. I only was able to
practice five days before Montreal, Cincinnati. So I did not have the
chance to do it.
We wanted to do it after US Open, and we put it a little bit too much
weight on the racquet. So I felt that I was ‑‑it was very difficult for
me to have the control of the ball, and I had to play Tokyo and
Shanghai. So we felt that it was too much, too much risky for those two
tournaments.
After that, in theory, I had to go to Bercy so I didn't have a lot of
time. So we decided to do it at the end of the season. Worse thing is,
in theory, we had to practice one month with a new racquet. Finally I
get injury on the knees in the final of Davis Cup, and after, on the
shoulder. So I wasn't able to play.
So we reduce a little bit the weight in the beginning we prepared the
racquet. So now we just playing with three more grams on the top of the
racquet. But if you put three grams in a different part of racquet, is
nothing, but in the top, yes. You feel.
We decided to do that, because we believed that with this racquet, can
help a little bit with the serve, can help a little bit to hit the ball a
little bit longer with less, how to say? We found it to play that
aggressive, to play a little bit easier, and to hit the winners
sometimes can help me, no?
So I need time, but I felt positive things during all this tournament,
and, you know, I thought it would be much more difficult than what there
is today. So I'm very happy.

He was talking about finding the time to try out the new weighted racquet. I think Nadals injury problems are well documented (including by you) so this is not news. He was explaining that this left him with little time for practise. Nadal also explained that an extra 3 grams placed at the top of the racquet made a big difference to the "feel".

Maybe it was the fact that Nadal was speaking in a second language that made it appear "weird" to you?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:47 pm

I really think a SF performance before in the tournament before the slam is pretty much perfect. That said you don't want to lose to your rivals- but monfils is a good player to lose to- rafa probably won't even play and if they do monfils is very inconsistent + it is a 5 set match.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:48 pm

As for the interview, good stuff, looks much more positive than a few months ago.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm

HE, I put some ??!!?? where I thought it was weird. Nadal thinking he took more risk than Monfils is again a comment showing a complete lack of objectivity. He may have tried to play outside his comfort zone but it was certainly not very risky and certainly less than Monfils who played much more riskily/aggressively.

Very weird to read him talk about all his injuries again. He plays a ridiculously physical game. If he was really "injured" he woudl be nowhere able to play that kind of tennis. He is injured but still runs faster and hits harder than everybody else.

When Federer is injured he doesn't play. End of. If he can play he does not mention injuries. Certainly not systematically like Nadal.

Honestly don't you think it's getting ridiculous? Maybe you right his english doesn't allow him to make the difference between an injury and an itch!.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

Tenez

How long have you been closely following Nadals rapid decline?...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:32 am

amritia3ee wrote:I really think a SF performance before in the tournament before the slam is pretty much perfect. That said you don't want to lose to your rivals- but monfils is a good player to lose to- rafa probably won't even play and if they do monfils is very inconsistent + it is a 5 set match.
The only other time Rafael Nadal lost to Monfils was in the quarterfinals of the same tournament (the Qatar ExxonMobil Open) back in 2009, and we know what happened in 2009 at the Australian Open. So one can take whatever meaning one wishes for this latest result.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:32 am

Nore Staat wrote:
The only other time Rafael Nadal lost to Monfils was in the quarterfinals of the same tournament (the Qatar ExxonMobil Open) back in 2009, and we know what happened in 2009 at the Australian Open. So one can take whatever meaning one wishes for this latest result.

Are you implying that 2012 will be a repetition of 2009? Erm

At least, I hope not. But if you are, then a withdrawal similar to W 2009 and a loss similar to FO 2009 is going to raise more 'ugly' questions. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

laverfan wrote:
Nore Staat wrote: The only other time Rafael Nadal lost to Monfils was in the quarterfinals of the same tournament (the Qatar ExxonMobil Open) back in 2009, and we know what happened in 2009 at the Australian Open. So one can take whatever meaning one wishes for this latest result.

Are you implying that 2012 will be a repetition of 2009? Erm

At least, I hope not. But if you are, then a withdrawal similar to W 2009 and a loss similar to FO 2009 is going to raise more 'ugly' questions. Sad

As I mentioned
Nore Staat wrote: ... one can take whatever meaning one wishes for this latest result.

Nadal says he will take time out in February so maybe he won't have the type of problem he had in 2009.

I am not sure what to make of Rafael Nadals current "injury". He says he should be fine for the AO 2012, so I am probably going to have to reinstall him back as second or third most likely to win it, with Federer below Nadal, and Murray oscillating above and below Nadal. Everything leading up to the AO 2012 is suggesting Murray should do "better" than last year, but last year he never met Nadal at the AO and he didn't take any sets off Djokovic in the final. Hmmm I think I am drifting off topic ...

Now what are the odds of Federer and Nadal being drawn on opposite sides of the draw ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

Tenez wrote:HE, I put some ??!!?? where I thought it was weird. Nadal thinking he took more risk than Monfils is again a comment showing a complete lack of objectivity. He may have tried to play outside his comfort zone but it was certainly not very risky and certainly less than Monfils who played much more riskily/aggressively.

I agree that Monfils was more the aggressor. However, it is difficult to be objective about oneself.

The weight change was never going to see him radically alter his game, be interesting to see if there is any discernible change over the next few months.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubbahey Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

Actually Laverfan, I would rather not advertise my website on here, not ethical really, and I definitely don't want to PM Tenez, as I would like his feelings and opinions to be broadcast on V2 where everyone can see him for what he is.

My website is private and of no consequence to anyone here, unless they ask me for info in a PM. I have no wish to push its membership up.

But I will resist any further posting on this thread.

Jubbahey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

Jubbahey wrote:But I will resist any further posting on this thread.

My apologies, Jubba. I did not mean to stop your discussion, but was just suggesting that the Nadal vs. Website discussion be separated.

sportslover wrote:As for now but what does the future hold? - remember 606 Erm

Hopefully this site provides a better home for diverse opinions than 606. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

I think Nadal was trying to hit more agreissvely for me, but only by a small amount, he was trying relatively more to work a 3-7 shot rally leading to a chance for a winner, rather than going for an outright winner.

His opponent played very well, and given this is a minor tournament on a fast surface, a semi final defeat is decent practice and preparation for Rafa.

If his fitness is good there is no reason he can't do well at the Australian Open.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

I don't know who's side to take.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:I don't know who's side to take.

Id prefer it if there wasn't any sides and everyone did their part to simply debate or ignore threads that may annoy them.

We dont have a problem in other sections on here with members attacking other members so much. I really do not understand why it happens here so much.
You all like tennis, so what if you like different players of the game. You all like the same sport.

Last edited by Y I Man on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

In fairness there's almost an equal number of Rafa fans so it's evened out.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:In fairness there's almost an equal number of Rafa fans so it's evened out.
There really isn't. I think I'm the only Nadal fan (who is an active user) who has started using 606v2 in the last few weeks.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

laverfan wrote:Did you watch Raonic-Tipsy?

Happy for Raonic, he is certainly one to watch. As will Tomic be in a year or two once he beefs up.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:29 pm

Yes LF what a match between Raonic and Tipsy. Raonic didnt lose serve all tournament! He was my pick for a top10 finish this year before 2011 year end. He could do some damage at AO for sure!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

All this tribalism is getting on my nerves though.

Federer is a great player
Nadal is a great player
Djokovic is a great player
Murray is a great player
etc.etc.

They ALL deserve and have earned respect.

Anyway, mini-rant over Sorry , yep good start to the year for Raonic with 2nd title and 1st SF for Tomic. Would also include Dolgopolov in this but he is only a year or so younger than Murray and Djokovic so not sure he can be in the up and coming class so much as get there already!??

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:41 pm

Indeed carrieg4 but some on here are obsessed with proving some are greater than others...and some arent great at all.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 08 Jan 2012, 5:42 pm

carrieg4 wrote:

Nadal is a great player
Murray is a great player
etc.etc.

Spot on.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:09 pm

amritia3ee wrote:
break_in_the_fifth wrote:In fairness there's almost an equal number of Rafa fans so it's evened out.
There really isn't. I think I'm the only Nadal fan (who is an active user) who has started using 606v2 in the last few weeks.

Simple has become more active over the past few weeks, eric comes across as a Nadal fan and there's some other new ones and old ones showing more activity... Really you should be better at spotting them than me unless it doesn't suit your 'tenez haven' view of this forum.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
amritia3ee wrote:

Simple has become more active over the past few weeks, eric comes across as a Nadal fan and there's some other new ones and old ones showing more activity... Really you should be better at spotting them than me unless it doesn't suit your 'tenez haven' view of this forum.
Yh both Eric and simple have been using this site before December.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:18 pm

Yes but if there are more active fans on now than before so much so that it's almost equal to the number of fed fans then what's the problem? You signed up before December but are active now others signed up before, were active for a bit then became inactive and are now active again. What's the difference?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:32 pm

Tenez wrote:HE, I put some ??!!?? where I thought it was weird. Nadal thinking he took more risk than Monfils is again a comment showing a complete lack of objectivity. He may have tried to play outside his comfort zone but it was certainly not very risky and certainly less than Monfils who played much more riskily/aggressively.

Very weird to read him talk about all his injuries again. He plays a ridiculously physical game. If he was really "injured" he woudl be nowhere able to play that kind of tennis. He is injured but still runs faster and hits harder than everybody else.

When Federer is injured he doesn't play. End of. If he can play he does not mention injuries. Certainly not systematically like Nadal.

Honestly don't you think it's getting ridiculous? Maybe you right his english doesn't allow him to make the difference between an injury and an itch!.

Hilarious stuff. Fact is Nadal hasn't been "able to play that kind of Tennis" since the US Open (and probably before) which is why he is, rightly, 4th favourite for the Aus Open.

So in other words, he is frank about his injury problems and completes the dots as to why he's not been himself but this is "weird" chin

And please don't mention Fed with respect to injuries as if he's some Saint!! Besides now looking utterly ridiculous with his "man up" comments, at the O2, given that he's a doubt for the first Slam of the year, have you forgotten that introspective, miserable press conference he gave when he lost to Nole at Miami 09? The one where he proceeded to tell the whole world that his back had been bothering him for six months!!

Of course you have!! You're Tenez and in your world what is sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:34 pm

carrieg4 wrote:All this tribalism is getting on my nerves though.

Nadal is a great player
Murray is a great player
etc.etc.

They ALL deserve and have earned respect.

Anyway, mini-rant over Sorry , yep good start to the year for Raonic with 2nd title and 1st SF for Tomic. Would also include Dolgopolov in this but he is only a year or so younger than Murray and Djokovic so not sure he can be in the up and coming class so much as get there already!??

Thoroughly agree. It's a privilege to be watching the Tennis of this era. But in Tenez's world, only Fed plays 'proper' Tennis - everyone else are just fitness freaks who happen to play the sport!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:36 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Hilarious stuff. Fact is Nadal hasn't been "able to play that kind of Tennis" since the US Open (and probably before) which is why he is, rightly, 4th favourite for the Aus Open.

So in other words, he is frank about his injury problems and completes the dots as to why he's not been himself but this is "weird" chin

And please don't mention Fed with respect to injuries as if he's some Saint!! Besides now looking utterly ridiculous with his "man up" comments, at the O2, given that he's a doubt for the first Slam of the year, have you forgotten that introspective, miserable press conference he gave when he lost to Nole at Miami 09? The one where he proceeded to tell the whole world that his back had been bothering him for six months!!

Of course you have!! You're Tenez and in your world what is sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander!!

clap

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:37 pm

amritia3ee wrote:

You just give the appearance of there being a dozen.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

Am I the only one feeling uncomfortable reading some of the comments on here?

I suggest you stick to debating tennis rather than having pops at each other otherwise I'm going to seriously start kicking some butt.

We dont have this problem in any other section on v2 so I strongly suggest you sort it out or I will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 8:07 pm

We calmed down now?

The thread is about an interview made by Rafa, please just stick to debating that.

Thread unlocked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down