The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts?

+12
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
bhb001
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
davidemore
88Chris05
KingMonkey
TopHat24/7
Waingro
AlexHuckerby
Herman Jaeger
Seanusarrilius
16 posters

Go down

Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts? Empty Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:47 am

Simple really, looks like a two fight deal is on its way. Personally I think Froch should hold out for Kessler at home but understand why at this stage of his career he would go to Canada.

Now, the rematch is mooted for August. This I do see issues with.

Firstly if one fighter dominates I don't see the point. Also I Bute wins by any means I see him finding a way out of a rematch, if he decides that's what he wants. Plus, Aprl then August is only four months. Say its a cruelling fight, they'll both need at least two months off then another 8 week camp. Hmmmmm.

Anyway here is the link, wish Froch didn't have to go there first as I beleive depsite being the challenger Bute needs him more than the opposite. Who the hell has Bute got without Froch? But anyway.

Outcomes please, and thoughts.

http://www.boxingscene.com/bute-vs-froch-april-14th-rematch-on-august-4th--48320

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts? Empty Re: Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts?

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

If Ward cancels out a prime Roy, then it's fully possible Carl cann still yet catch Joe up. Destroys Bute then avenges the Dane, possible he might still even get past Joe either with some good work at the higher weight or a legendary revenge over a still unbeaten Ward. That revenge will of course be dependant on a revised fight plan on Carl's part and Ward to keep winning. Everyone's going to be wanting a piece of that 'o' now, so very interesting to watch how Ward will handle the pressure(he's mentally very strong,) and also his fight selection. Could his hand trouble come to plague him? That is not a given, but there can be no easy fights now for Ward as unified champ and undisputed number one.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts? Empty Re: Froch v Bute almost set for April 14th. Thoughts?

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:58 am

Don't think Carl's good enough to win the fights necessary to outdo Joe now, he was firmly second best against Ward and looked mighty slower than he did against Dirrell.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:08 am

I think its a great idea having two fights this means there is no advantage. Bute is a stay at home figter though so Im not sure he will stick to going to Britain. I reckon Froch will destroy Bute who is not in his class my biggest fear would be that he gets robbed out there in Canada he will probably need a KO to win. After that he should fight Ward in Britain in a rematch. I think he can win thi fight with different tactics. Froch was not at his best for the first fight he said so himself he is a very honest fighter so I think Ward should prove he is a proper champ and go to Britain and give Froch the rematch he deserves. That fight would be for three titles then so it would make sense.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

I'm with Alex on this one, see Bute taking a UD in Canada unless Froch can get him out of there (which I doubt). Froch's power is good but not great and hasn't troubled the top tier of the division. Given the state Andrade had Bute in and still didn't get the win I severely doubt Froch can do enough.

I also thought Bute dealt with Johnson with much more aplomb than Froch did, therefore would be tempted to say Froch might only squeek a points decision even fighting at home.

Would back him to outpoint Kessler on home turf though. Agree he can't catch Joe now. He needed to win S6, avenge Kessler and clean-up Bute for that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Froch cruised against Johnson and probably ended up making it harder than it needed to be, I'm not sure you can really use it as a fair comparison.

It's a good match up. I'm not sure the two fight thing will quite work but I like the thinking behind it all the same.

Bring it on I say!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

Did Froch actually cruise, there hasn't been much of a suggestion to me that he can make a fight easy for himself, his left hand is low and that set up Johnsons best punch all night and he doesn't really have the quickness or the elusiveness to stop that on reactions alone, he wasn't cruising in my opinion just that Johnson can be a handful if you let him land that straight right.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:36 am

Well in the broadest sense, it's good news for Froch; another world title fight, good payday and a chance to keep his place as a major player at 168 lb. For us boxing fans it's also a step in the right direction, I suppose, as we'll know for sure afterwards just how good Bute is. But there are a couple of concerns.

I would have much preferred the first fight to be in Britain, naturally enough. As has been pointed out, there's a niggling feeling at the back of my mind that should Bute win over in Canada, he'd find a way out of the second bout or at the very least try to. That said, it depends on the strength of the contract in place and, of course, I may just be selling Bute short with that concern there.

Next up, let's say that it's a convincing win for either man. Would a rematch seem obsolete all of a sudden?

Luckily, I don't forsee a one-sided fight here. In theory, then, a two fight deal of this nature would be brilliant.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

not sure i like this.Foch has to go there first which is annoying and what if one of them gets completely dusted? Bute and his safety net, predicted this...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

I don't see the fight being as one sided as I originally thought but feel Bute will be far too quick for Froch, who to me seemed dead slow and a bit clumsy against Ward, but perhaps I am selling Ward short in the fact that it was possibly Ward making that apparent.

I do worry though if we see a boring fight that goes in the same direction of Bute/Johnson as in it's basically a no contest, (Though far more unlikely) would we really want to see a rematch?

Will give us a better indication of how good Bute is.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Will tell us about Bute, and Carl was slow against Ward. I think nerves. In the early rounds he kept playing with his shorts, almost impulsively, like it was a twitch, too tense. Still, Froch isn't quick anyway so speed wont win against Bute. Power, pressure and lot's of punches being thrown will.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

I'm a bit disappointed about this tbh. I was hoping for Ward vs Bute. I don't think Froch will win this in fact I reckon he probably loses pretty soundly on the cards again.

He was very slow against Ward much slower that when the tournament started against Dirrell. Bute has the speed and is a good enough boxer to win the rounds leaving Froch chasing the fight. Frochs defence is also very poor for a guy who boxes at his level.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

I tend to agree with Alma. I like Froch, especially his desire to test himself against the best out there. He has a granite chin and some decent boxing ability, but a decent champion is always likely to beat him. If I am wrong and Froch beats Bute, then no one will be happier about it than I.

Last edited by bhb001 on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gran Ma)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

He's gone from fighting nobodies and Johnson to fight a genuine contender in Froch - Think a step up from the average to the best is a bit big - two or three fights at a higher level before you attempt to climb to the top is sensible.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

I think they are well matched. Should be a close enough fight. I dont read too much into Frochs last performance because I rate Ward very highly. I think Froch, Kessler and Bute are all quite well matched but a clear step below Ward.

With Froch its pretty much there to see what kind of level he is at. Bute is more unknown. Id imagine hes better than his opposition allows but exactly how much better is hard to say. A fight with Froch would tell us alot.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderFist Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

Waingro wrote:I think its a great idea having two fights this means there is no advantage. Bute is a stay at home figter though so Im not sure he will stick to going to Britain. I reckon Froch will destroy Bute who is not in his class my biggest fear would be that he gets robbed out there in Canada he will probably need a KO to win. After that he should fight Ward in Britain in a rematch. I think he can win thi fight with different tactics. Froch was not at his best for the first fight he said so himself he is a very honest fighter so I think Ward should prove he is a proper champ and go to Britain and give Froch the rematch he deserves. That fight would be for three titles then so it would make sense.

Why are you so obsessed with robberies you nutter? Everythin isn't a robbery mate.

ThunderFist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

I think Froch can beat Bute (although Bute is fav at the mo), but like some others, I wish the first fight was in Nottingham. Forch has earned it, and I honestly believe Bute needs him more than vice versa.

Froch has longer arms, a better chin, a good jab and uppercat if he uses it. But has the speed, at least equal if not better pwoer, is far fresher and home backing. Uphill task, but not impossible. Bute has had it easy, yes he made short work of Johnson but Johnson had sparred a bazillion rounds with him and was terrible on the night.

I might be going ot this as i only live a few hours away, WAR FROCH!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

WAR FROCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!

Smile

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

Bute will win this on points no problem. Stay behind the jab and fight on the outside. Froch will have his moments in this fight but Bute has far too much class for him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

I hope you are wrong Steffan but they are fair points

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

Froch by KO!!!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I hope you are wrong Steffan but they are fair points

If Froch can take Bute into the trenches then he has every chance but Bute looks like a solid pucher and will keep him at bay. While there was no shame in Froch losing to Ward who looks pure class the way he ran out of ideas fairly early on was worrying from a Froch fans point of view. The way Bute dominated Johnson was impressive to say the least

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

davidemore wrote:Froch by KO!!!

People say that before every Froch fight...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

Yeah I think it will be about as close as Ward/Froch to be honest, Froch having moments but being soundly outboxed. Think Froch might end up getting into trouble as well, he has an very good chin but not indestructable and I think Bute will want to try and put on a performance so may end up taking Froch out late in truth.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

question is,can Froch get in and tear it up with Bute? Because Ward was so good on the inside that never materialized, but Bute? Might be able to rattle him, needs to do far more than Johsnon did

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

No problems with Bute being the favourite here; the smart money, all things considered, would be for him to take a decision. It does surprise me a little though that so few are even giving Froch a chance of making it close, never mind pulling off the upset.

I don't necessarily think that the disparity between Froch and Ward will play all that much of a part; for me, Ward will be sitting atop the 168 lb pile for as long as he wants it, or until he goes after Light-Heavyweight honours. I genuinely think he's something special, and would have done to Bute exactly as he did to Froch.

There's little doubting that Froch has proved his mettle against better opposition than Bute has, which could be a factor. A common theme of Froch fights is that they're tough, sometimes gruelling twelve rounders, and I expect the same here. We've seen Bute in a world of trouble in such fights in the past, against lesser fighters than Froch to boot.

I see this being a close, competitive fight regardless of which side of the Atlantic it takes place.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Steffan i think Frock by KO, get behind him!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

88Chris05 wrote:No problems with Bute being the favourite here; the smart money, all things considered, would be for him to take a decision. It does surprise me a little though that so few are even giving Froch a chance of making it close, never mind pulling off the upset.

I don't necessarily think that the disparity between Froch and Ward will play all that much of a part; for me, Ward will be sitting atop the 168 lb pile for as long as he wants it, or until he goes after Light-Heavyweight honours. I genuinely think he's something special, and would have done to Bute exactly as he did to Froch.

There's little doubting that Froch has proved his mettle against better opposition than Bute has, which could be a factor. A common theme of Froch fights is that they're tough, sometimes gruelling twelve rounders, and I expect the same here. We've seen Bute in a world of trouble in such fights in the past, against lesser fighters than Froch to boot.

I see this being a close, competitive fight regardless of which side of the Atlantic it takes place.

Here here

I think Froch this will be close, i have never seen Bute grab much or fight inside, if Froch can get at him with decent regularity from the start, he can win this.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

Personally it seems as we're looking at the Andrade fight as a reason why this is close, not for me. Bute is a better fighter since then and to be honest I just think he had a bit of a poor performance, which he rectified in the next fight. It's not as though Carl is going to take the fight to him from the word go and will end up starting slowly as usual.

See a wideish decision to Bute with Carl trying to take the fight to him at the end with Bute cruising and giving up the last couple, similar to the Ward fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

Bute wont do to Froch exactly what Froch did because he isn't good enough. Ward is exceptional, Bute is very good. Magee was able to tag Bute at times, if Froch can do that early he has a good chance. But yes, he'll have to start quicker. The first three rounds are up for grabs, he needs to use both hands and take em

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

Good on the Cobra for taking this match if it happens but I have to agree with people above that he is facing a wide points beating in this fight.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

Will be hoping Froch wins,not too sure how good Bute is,hasn't really fought anyone of note.
One things for sure Froch will take it to him and I feel needs to try to engage him into a war, we will find out how good Bute is after this.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down