The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED!

+64
Dai Tryin
Adam D
Biltong
Cowshot
Chunky Norwich
EnglishReign
Cadair Idris
Noble-Surfer
iso
Hound_of_Harrow
senghenydd1913
RubyGuby
damage_13
damngoodOvalball
trebellbobaggins
Luckless Pedestrian
andy powells minder
Duty281
mystiroakey
slartibartfast
eirebilly
Knowsit17
pontylad
gelodge
Dim
kiakahaaotearoa
Ozzy3213
flankertye
Cymroglan
Knackeredknees
Glas a du
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
KickAndChase
TrailApe
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
english warrior
mckay1402
Morgannwg
emack2
dogtooth
munkian
NeverMySoul
gregortree
bathmad
wales606
Comfort
WELL-PAST-IT
HERSH
Equo Troiano
Taffineastbourne
bluestonevedder
maestegmafia
Alex_Germany
Breadvan
Woodstock
Gatts
Shifty
beshocked
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
miteyironpaw
Effervescing Elephant
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
68 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED! Empty The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED!

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

OK, every year we see threads that actually contain really good rugby discussion derailed by the ongoing Wales vs England bickering and WUMMING! I will name no names. I guess we have all been guilty Tumbleweed .

Since most of the general bickering comes from the respective fans of Wales and England kiss ; I thought I would create a thread for it in an effort to keep decent rugby discussion relatively WUM free in other threads. warning

So I will begin, An article in the Western Mail today pointed out how England are copying Gatlands youthful approach with a squad that has an average age of 25 and 428 caps between them.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/01/12/analysis-new-look-england-follow-youthful-wales-lead-91466-30105333/

Wales probable squad (once you have taken out Shane and Wellies from the World cup squad with their probable replacements) lines up at the same average age and about 820 caps between them. England are copying Wales' approcach but are way behind. Clearly all things point to a wales victory in HQ this year. Wales

Discuss The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED! 1347041234

post script

Please may I emphasise that this is a bickering and banter thread, whilst mild wumming and banter are allowed please try not to stray over the line of decency.

Last edited by TycroesOsprey on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED! Empty Re: The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED!

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:31 pm

Tycroes,

You said it all, we will win but then again of course it won't matter as it will have been classed as a de-valued championship by then because England are in re-build mode Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED! Empty Re: The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED!

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Laugh

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

If you do win we'll get the 'moral' victory for some reason i'm sure. I just haven't thought of one yet! Smile
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

Some reasons for England fans to dismiss their upcoming losses.

Its a young squad,
were building for the future,
Who could have guessed Manu would get drunk, dive off Richmond Bridge two days before the game?
The ref had a welsh grandmother,
His foot was definitely not in touch the tmo got it wrong.
Sir Clive would have won it for us.
All our outside halfs are injured.
If only Ashton hadnt dropped the ball swallow diving.

thumbsup

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

Welsh Post Match Loss Reaction Script
=============================

Well, we never wanted or expected the win today. We were happy to make progress and put in a good display. We ticked those boxes and are progressing nicely, so we're very happy. The outcome of [tournament] is largely irrelevant this year in light of [next year's tournament].

I didn't think we got the rub of the green today and it's always hard to put in a consistent 80 minutes this early/this late [pick one] in the season. Although in the periods where we fired, we certainly looked the better team.

Once those out with injuries return and those just returning come up to match fitness, then we know on the strength of today's performance that on our day, we can beat anyone in the world.

Post Tournament Loss Reaction Script

Although the outcome of this tournament is largely irrelevant this year, we're disappointed not to have won it of course.

We certainly play to win, and we know we have the squad of players, and that on our day we can beat anyone in the world.

I think in the future, we have to look at the draw which certainly favours [team who won].

We're more interested in the world rankings at this stage as we build for [distant tournament], and if you think that we beat [Ireland in the world cup, who beat Australia, who are the tri-nations champions beating New Zealand who are the world champions][substitute this line for the shortest chain of A->B results showing Wales as world champions], then it's easy to see that we really are close, if not top of the world at the moment. It's a matter of backing that up with 80 minute performances on the day and not getting on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

All in all we're very happy with where we are and look forward to playing England next year.

miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

Tycroes, Hersh has just come up with another one on his thread. Back to back away fixtures for England. Scotland then Italy so i call jet lag! Whistle
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

Oh I see the Welshmen are getting over confident again. Nothing like an arrogant Welshman to get things off on the wrong foot is there? I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed this post comes back to bite them. After-all they ain't all that are they? They lost a shedfull of games in the last RWC.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:55 pm

England have shed a lot of the old guard since the Rugby World Cup and brought in alot of younger players, but to say Wales have a better team than England is, well a joke realy.

If you want proof of this look at the World Rankins, and you will find that Wales are below England. enough said. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm

Post match comments from Gatland after Wales lose to England:

"
Wales were the better side throughout the full 80 but let England have too many easy points.

Wales were the better side when it was XV vs XV unfortunately we were undone by that controversial sin binning.

Can't understand the ref's decision to sin bin Warburton. Warburton's a good bloke who doesn't mean any harm.

England's two tries during that 10 minute period decided the game. It was painful to watch but credit to the boys for not conceding anymore.

The performance was excellent but Twickenham is a tough place to go. I am very happy with the boys and expect them to continue to improve.

On a different day we would have beaten England convincingly but unfortunately we didn't get the rub of the green. The ball was against us, the ref was against us, even Ashton didn't swan dive which disappointed us. Well onto next week."

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

Morally speaking I'm all in favour of provoking the English posters come the 6 Nations, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, lets at least have a pop at the Irish first, after all they are our first game.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Morally speaking I'm all in favour of provoking the English posters come the 6 Nations, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, lets at least have a pop at the Irish first, after all they are our first game.

Would love to but they are all busy in the potato fields

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

HOnestly Alyn it is an attempt to keep the bickering that normally infects the other threads confined to one place. Call it the Naughty corner if you will. censored

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:18 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Oh I see the Welshmen are getting over confident again. Nothing like an arrogant Welshman to get things off on the wrong foot is there? I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed this post comes back to bite them. After-all they ain't all that are they? They lost a shedfull of games in the last RWC.

Oooooooooooooooooohhhh how biting and nasty of this horrible englishman hahaha Bless you for posting, your opinion is so important to us...honest laughing

england just another little country in Europe, not much to go bonkers about.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:09 am

AlynDavies wrote:Morally speaking I'm all in favour of provoking the English posters come the 6 Nations, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, lets at least have a pop at the Irish first, after all they are our first game.

Yeh exactly. Eng and Wales bickering is so like 3 years ago. Erm Your "celt" brothers across the Irish sea are the new bullies given the recent history in 6N games between yous... The Wales vs England bickering thread, 2012 - PONIES ALLOWED! 1347041234 Run
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:20 am

Can you lend them a fiver while you're at it. One with 9 zeros after it.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:35 am

majesticimperialman wrote:England have shed a lot of the old guard since the Rugby World Cup and brought in alot of younger players, but to say Wales have a better team than England is, well a joke realy.

If you want proof of this look at the World Rankings, and you will find that Wales are below England. enough said. thumbsup

Surely you shed the old guard, Wilkinson, Moody, Easter, Tindall, Cueto, Sheridan, Thompson, The players that got you to those rankings, then the Rankings are not a reflection of the team that England are about to put out?

You cant call on the former and the future as an example if neither exist....!

You could say that you thought that the old Guard had a better ranking, but the new Guard are even better players and you expect good things?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:24 am

Just got into work and all this handbags is making for a very enjoyable day!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:33 am

As I look into my crystal ball I can hear Jonny Wilkinson getting more mentions in commentary than either 10 actually playing on the day.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

Taff,

You're not wrong especially as InverDull will be in studio.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Why do the BBC insist on employing men of the calibre of Inverdale, Steve Ryder, Nigel Stammer-Smith.

Bring back Des Lynam, the man set the central commentary role bar very high in his day.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

maestegmafia wrote:Why do the BBC insist on employing men of the calibre of Inverdale, Steve Ryder, Nigel Stammer-Smith.

Gosh and you wrote that without even a hint of irony.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

Is there a 'France vs England bickering thread, 2012'?

After all thats the one that really matters as its the one that will decide the Championship.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

HERSH wrote:Is there a 'France vs England bickering thread, 2012'?

After all thats the one that really matters as its the one that will decide the Championship.

Laugh

One of your better comments Hersh I like.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

Careful with the use of that word "Championship" HERSH. You'll be sued by a southern hemisphere rugby union for trademark infringement.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

If farrell plays 10 and has a stormer then I expect him to become Inverdales golden boy. I would like to hear a collective nationwide ironic cheer the first time he mentions JW tho...

Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:55 am

Bread,

You would get odds it will be inside first 5 minutes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:55 am

There will surely be a JW career memorial service in the build up to the 6N kick off.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:16 am

Why take the mick?

Wilkinson was the best 10 in the world for quite a few years, and probably the best England have ever had. He will obviously and rightly be missed. It is only natural that whoever is presenting the 6N coverage would refer to Wilkinson and whether his successors will be able to emulate his achievements.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

Exactly Equo. Who was taking the Mick? We haven't had nearly enough televised testimonal services to his talent in my mind. In fact if we could organise a national holiday similar to last years royal wedding I'd be all in favour.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

How many forward passes or quick lineouts will Wales get away with this 6 nations?

IMO without Shane Wales will lack that spark, but at least we won't have to see anymore over the top try celebrations.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

miteyironpaw wrote:Exactly Equo. Who was taking the Mick? We haven't had nearly enough televised testimonal services to his talent in my mind. In fact if we could organise a national holiday similar to last years royal wedding I'd be all in favour.

Its good to see you are giving him the respect he deserves.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

HERSH wrote: at least we won't have to see anymore over the top try celebrations.

Why don't you expect Ashton to score many Hersh?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:28 am

Forward roll!

C'mon Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

Owen Farrell is similar to Jonny Wilkinson in a quite a few ways so it's hardly surprising there will be comparisons. Both are relatively shy. Both have good mental strength. Both are known for their defence - putting in big hits. Both are excellent tactical and place kickers. Also both seem to struggle to get a backline moving.

Obviously Farrell is nowhere near Wilkinson's level or status yet but he's on the path.

I think Farrell would rather be compared to Wilkinson than Flood!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

Happy New Year to the Gwaun Valley thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Exactly Equo. Who was taking the Mick?
The Welsh again, obviously. Someone should tell them to stop being derogatory to the Irish and leave them in Ireland; don't take them anywhere.

Very Happy Whistle
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Welsh Post Match Loss Reaction Script

Well, we never wanted or expected the win today. We were happy to make progress and put in a good display. We ticked those boxes and are progressing nicely, so we're very happy. The outcome of [tournament] is largely irrelevant this year in light of [next year's tournament].

I didn't think we got the rub of the green today and it's always hard to put in a consistent 80 minutes this early/this late [pick one] in the season. Although in the periods where we fired, we certainly looked the better team.

Once those out with injuries return and those just returning come up to match fitness, then we know on the strength of today's performance that on our day, we can beat anyone in the world.

Although the outcome of this tournament is largely irrelevant this year, we're disappointed not to have won it of course.

We certainly play to win, and we know we have the squad of players, and that on our day we can beat anyone in the world.

I think in the future, we have to look at the draw which certainly favours [team who won].

We're more interested in the world rankings at this stage as we build for [distant tournament], and if you think that we beat [Ireland in the world cup, who beat Australia, who are the tri-nations champions beating New Zealand who are the world champions][substitute this line for the shortest chain of A->B results showing Wales as world champions], then it's easy to see that we really are close, if not top of the world at the moment. It's a matter of backing that up with 80 minute performances on the day and not getting on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

All in all we're very happy with where we are and look forward to playing England next year.

how did you get your hands on Sean Holleys post-match scripts?

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Comfort wrote:
miteyironpaw wrote:Welsh Post Match Loss Reaction Script

how did you get your hands on Sean Holleys post-match scripts?

laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

HERSH wrote:Forward roll!

C'mon Laugh

I would say that the only time a player really could be allowed a little respite for an elaborate celebration is after they just scored in the last second of their last ever match in front of a home crowd.

Certainly a far more worthy occasion than any other.

What did you do when you scored your last try in your illustrious professional rugby career HERSH?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
HERSH wrote:Forward roll!

C'mon Laugh

I would say that the only time a player really could be allowed a little respite for an elaborate celebration is after they just scored in the last second of their last ever match in front of a home crowd.

Certainly a far more worthy occasion than any other.

What did you do when you scored your last try in your illustrious professional rugby career HERSH?

Can't speak for Hersh, but I had a heart attack. Front rower runs one in from 50 yards - shock.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:26 pm

Can't remember, I took more pride in out scrumaging my opposite number and winning my final game.

I'd forgiven Williams if it had won Wales the game, the way he celebrated was out of order.

He was there to boost his ego not to win.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

Tycroes, I'm late to this thread. but this is a cracking idea.
Create a major flack magnet, to clear the way for real rugby threads to operate without the bickering - well we can all hope. thumbsup

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

Just a reminder

2011 final standings

1 England
2 France
3 Ireland
4 Wales
5 Scotland
6 Italy

I see no reason why it will be an different this year. Smile
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

A joyous read HERSH, perhaps the RFU could turn it into a short movie.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:A joyous read HERSH, perhaps the RFU could turn it into a short movie.
laughing

Even as an Englishman, that is damn funny.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverMySoul Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

I've been listening to Gatland now for a few years and I think Wales no how to win matches. If they do these they should win:

Be clinical,
Be accurate.
Play well for the first twenty minutes,
Play well for the last twenty minutes,
Play well for the middle forty minutes.
Play what’s in front of them,
Play what’s behind them,
Play what’s beside them.
Be disciplined.
Replicate the squad ethic that was there in the week.
Front up.
Execute (Courtney Lawes?)
Earn the right to go wide.
Win the contact.
Play in the right areas.
Take the sting out of the game (Remove any London Wasps players?)
Come away with points every time.
Play the percentages.
Kick well,
Run well,
Tackle well,
Not be in any way like Hugo Southwell.
Gain the hard yards.
Take the positives from the first half.
Be streetwise.

AND do not dump anyone on their head in the first twenty minutes!

NeverMySoul

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 13 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

you forgot:

Bring your own ball boy.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Sure fire way to spend a night in A and E - have drink EVERYTIME Johnny is mentioned, really livens up the Scotland v England drudge match Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next