The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap

+8
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
Valero's Conscience
The Galveston Giant
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
School Project
azania
Mr Bounce
12 posters

Go down

Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap Empty Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

Dear Lordy.

Fight News has confirmed that WBA heavyweight champ Alexander Povetkin (the one that looks like a poorly paid security guard) is to fight WBO Cruiserweight Champ Marco Huck in his next "defence". Sounds like a German fight promoter's dream. And not much else... Doh

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/povetkin-huck-press-conference-106160#more-106160

I am seriously considering starting up Boxing at the age of 39 and trying for a belt. The division is so bad I might just get one... Rolling Eyes

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap Empty Re: Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap

Post by azania Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

No Holy fight against Pov?

azania

Back to top Go down

Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap Empty Re: Povetkin to Face Huck for WBA Heavy Strap

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

Guess they thought Huck had a stronger pulse...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Guess they thought Huck had a stronger pulse...

Does Holy still have a pulse?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

azania wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Guess they thought Huck had a stronger pulse...

Does Holy still have a pulse?

Depends if he sees the opportunity to get another woman pregnant.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:19 am

Holyfield was asking for too much money according to Sauerland. This is a much better fight than that anyway.

Judging by the comments above (or lack of them) I seem to be the only one looking forward to this. Huck isn't great but he likes a fight and Povetkin isn't shy. I think it will be a good fight and that's all I ever want to see.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:11 am

It's a competitive fight at the very least, not been many of them in the division recently, these are the fights Haye should be taking just now, i don't know why reporters bother speaking to him, the state boxing is in just now it would be refreshing to have a few people who weren't scared to ask some serious questions, instead they just suck up each others ass. Same with Manny/Floyd and everyone lapping up the cheap publicity, i would not attend any of their silly press conferences until they decided to fight, same with Haye, ignore him and he will stop his petty attention seeking.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Holyfield was asking for too much money according to Sauerland. This is a much better fight than that anyway.

Judging by the comments above (or lack of them) I seem to be the only one looking forward to this. Huck isn't great but he likes a fight and Povetkin isn't shy. I think it will be a good fight and that's all I ever want to see.

Huck has stated Holyfield will be helping him prepare for the fight! A bit odd but at least it should be an entertaining HW fight for a change.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 18 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Povetkin doesn't have the stomach for a fight with Wlad but still calls himself a World Champ. It's a sorry state of affairs. Bloomin' WBA and their "Super Champion" and "Regular Champion" statuses...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Povetkin doesn't have the stomach for a fight with Wlad but still calls himself a World Champ. It's a sorry state of affairs. Bloomin' WBA and their "Super Champion" and "Regular Champion" statuses...

It's tragic, but boxing and ducking go hand in hand today.

Could imagine after Ali's ban, that Frazier and him didn't want to fight each other to prove who was best so another organisation was formed so they could both be champs!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

HUCK HUCK HUCK!

I like Captain Huck, don't know why. Just so weirdly aggresive in his style.

Povetkin looked good against Boswell, albeit the mans 42 year old legs couldn't carry him on and looked dead tired after a bit, making Povetkin capitalise.

I would see this as a Povetkin win, but if Hook gets through with one of his (Albeit very telegraphed) vicious exchanges then you never know, not sure how much power he will have up at Heavy, but Povetkin isn't the biggest ever Heavy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

Don't rate Huck, personally. Not all that sold on Povetkin, mind you, but think he wins this by a decent margin on the cards. I think he has enough about him to see off Huck's incredibly repetitive attack. 116-112 to Povetkin.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

I don't rate him all that highly, but I like watching him fight, Chris. Can you really dislike his incredibly telegraphed and repetetive, ridicously loaded up attacks?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Don't rate Huck, personally. Not all that sold on Povetkin, mind you, but think he wins this by a decent margin on the cards. I think he has enough about him to see off Huck's incredibly repetitive attack. 116-112 to Povetkin.

I don't rate either that highly but on paper this looks a good fight I think. It's a step in the right direction from Povetkin and his people. At least this is a competitive fight remember the original opponent was Holyfield.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

I think Povetkin is good. He has been somewhat silently establishing himself as the best of the rest, and he has a very good amateur pedigree so I think hes been unfairly tarred with the weak era brush when hes probably quite a decent fighter. He managed good solid wins over the like of Byrd, Chambers, Donald and Chagaev so far and I think hes an example of a good fighter but hidden away from mainstream view and lacking the self promotion of someone like Haye, despite having a better record and a more solid game (and better amateur pedigree). If he was from Britain/U.S I think there would be alot more noise about him. At 32 now though I would like him to challenge one of the brothers now as he is one of the few credible challengers left.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:13 pm

Nonsense fight for a nonsense title. There may as well be a WBA Super Interim Champ as well as an Interim Champ.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

While the belt is worthless unless your a German/Russian. The fight should be a good one. Looking forward to Povetkin bringing down Huck.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:45 pm

What has Huck doen to deserve a shot at a heavyweight trinket? Its a disgrace, He's completetly untested at heavyweight, where's his monty barrett, if he win's he'll get a K brother next. He hasn't even got a big mouth.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:13 pm

jimdig wrote:What has Huck doen to deserve a shot at a heavyweight trinket? Its a disgrace, He's completetly untested at heavyweight, where's his monty barrett, if he win's he'll get a K brother next. He hasn't even got a big mouth.

True, but he does have a big nose!

You don't have to earn your shot at a title in any weight class now, as long as the promoter is powerful enough they'll get you what you want.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:

You don't have to earn your shot at a title in any weight class now,

Very true, have you read the piece by Bob Mee in Boxing News this week, even dying is not enough to stop you moving up the rankings.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

alma wrote:Huck's got as much right as any fighter jumping up a weight class and immediately fighting for a title. Amir Khan for example.

Quite right, he's also doing it for a challenge and not to dodge one.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down