The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal

+17
manos de piedra
Rowley
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
bhb001
GW40
lovely_london
milkyboy
Knowsit17
monzon
Lance
Imperial Ghosty
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TopHat24/7
azania
Commander
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal Empty Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal

Post by Commander Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:47 pm

No info. as yet as to why.

Commander

Back to top Go down

Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal Empty Re: Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal

Post by azania Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

Commander wrote:No info. as yet as to why.

Probably got what they wanted. A rematch. Good publicity also and a guaranteed sell out and good PPV sales.

azania

Back to top Go down

Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal Empty Re: Breaking news: Golden Boy cancel Khan IBF appeal

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16605456.stm

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

Lamont Peterson gets to keep the IBF title, while he has to have a rematch with Khan for the WBA title - which he might relinquish to Khan.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm

Rumours going around twitter that Khan is going to face Mayweather on May 5th!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Rumours going around twitter that Khan is going to face Mayweather on May 5th!

While I ironically think Khan is aside from Pacquiao the most capable fighter of causing Mayweather problems, it would be a disgrace to treat Peterson like that and end up getting a shot at Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Rumours going around twitter that Khan is going to face Mayweather on May 5th!

Reckon it'll be competitive for 2-3 rounds then a good ol' fashion whooping, would love to see it!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:

While I ironically think Khan is aside from Pacquiao the most capable fighter of causing Mayweather problems, it would be a disgrace to treat Peterson like that and end up getting a shot at Mayweather.

A few people in the know are talking about it. Your right after the way they have almost rubbished Petersons win over him if they go on to dodge him will be shameful.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:

A few people in the know are talking about it. Your right after the way they have almost rubbished Petersons win over him if they go on to dodge him will be shameful.

Unfortunately Peterson he a) stands no chance of beating either Pacquiao or Mayweather and b) isn't a big name draw.

He's low risk low reward while Khan is slight risk high reward.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:

Unfortunately Peterson he a) stands no chance of beating either Pacquiao or Mayweather and b) isn't a big name draw.

He's low risk low reward while Khan is slight risk high reward.

I undertsnad why they would dump Peterson for Mayweather. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth given how they have treated Peterson after his win. They have tried to discredit his win over Khan which he worked very hard for.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:42 pm

I agree fully but comes across as a perfect fight for Mayweather, a well known fighter being talked about, less risk than thought before but could pose early problems. It's also very clever because Khan regardless of the Peterson fight is expected to go on to big things, if and when he makes it really big Mayweather can say 'I beat the next big thing'.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:47 pm

In 10 years time this could be a very good name on Floyds record. It makes sense for all concerned but I can't help but feel sorry for Peterson. His best win to date has a big question mark surrounding it now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

That's boxing, if we're realistic the high point of Petersons career will be his win over Khan and it has been tarnished, Khan has places to go but Peterson hasn't, strange thing to say about the respective winner and loser of the bout between them.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:12 am

khan will have a lot of rebuilding to do after mayweather gives him a boxing lesson. the british media will big up his chances of winning and then everybody will feel let down that he barely landed a punch. will be two defeats in a row too. dont think he will care though, he will get the cash he craves by fighting mayweather

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

Mayweather has just tweeted "January 16th was Dr. Martin Luther King Birthday January 17th is Muhammad Ali Birthday and May 5th is Pacquiao ass whooping day!". Doesn't sound like he has his eyes on Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:38 am

This anti Khan stuff is getting crazy. If...and big if at that, that Khan fights Floyd, why the hate? It shows he has good management, Well done to him for employing the best. It Peterson loses out on a big payday, his team are to blame. They should have gone for a rematch immediately to prove that it was no fluke. Face it, were it not for dubious refereering, Peterson would not have been talked about. He got lucky to have a friendly ref.

If Khan had got the rematch with Peterson, most of you guys would be moaning and calling Khan allsorts. He signs for a bigger fight, Khan is in the wrong. Face it also, its hardly Khan or his team organising th floyd fight. Manny, or rather Arum, ducked out again and Floyd went for Khan. Its not Khan going for Floyd but the other way around.

Good luck to Khan. He will need it when Floyd hands him his rear end. I for one will buy this PPV and wager it wont go past 6 rounds. 4 rounds for Flpyd to figure out his speed and 2 rounds to wipe the floor with him. But he will be handsomely rewarded and will be either a great learning fight, or such a demoralising beating that he'll never recover. I know what many of you guys want.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:43 am

Heres why the appeal was cancelled.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171141-golden-boy-withdraw-appeal-of-peterson-khan
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:47 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Mayweather has just tweeted "January 16th was Dr. Martin Luther King Birthday January 17th is Muhammad Ali Birthday and May 5th is Pacquiao ass whooping day!". Doesn't sound like he has his eyes on Khan.

I would have thought Floyd would know that 15th Jan was MLK's birthday seeing as its a national holiday in USA. Muppet.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:48 am

Sunday can't be a national holiday so the holiday was Monday.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:49 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Sunday can't be a national holiday so the holiday was Monday.

Floyd still got it wrong.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:53 am

He gets punched for a living. Whats your excuse for being wrong so often? Wink
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

Veering off topic slightly, but i see there's been talk of Khan facing Mayweather, both on social media websites and above in this very thread.

At this stage, i'd like to point out that im neither pro or anti Amir Khan. I'm not a big fan of the lad, but i do enjoy his fights. I have no opinion on him, positive or otherwise, as a person, but think he was right to push the appeals surrounding his previous fight given what we've now seen...

...anyway, now i've got that out of the way, i'd just like to say that if i was Mayweather, i'd be BEGGING my promoters to get me Khan. Sure, it wouldn't be a huge earner compared to certain others potential fights, but it'd be an absolutely one-side arse-spanking. Look at what Peterson did to Khan in spurts, or Maidana, or others. Floyd would take him apart, and finish him when and how he wanted.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:26 am

The day before Ameen is due to explain his actions, having already been denounced by the IBF as not representing them, the hearing gets called off. Coincidence? I'm not sure, has to be said.

The immediate reaction to every new development in this mess seems to be the same old trashing of Khan. I agree, he has shown himself to be distinctly lacking in class but for argument's sake the elements clearly indicate that the Peterson camp and or Peterson himself may not have their hands entirely clean. Just to keep an open mind.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:29 am

but then mayweather won't fight like maidana and peterson. As they say ad infinitum - styles make fights... i'm of the opinion that khan has a style that could trouble mayweather - Reach, height, fast hands... an ageing oscar showed what a doubled up jab could do and imho provided a blueprint of how best to trouble mayweather... of course he had a tight defence to go with it, and a boxing brain... a couple of crucial deficiencies in khan's armoury.

I genuinely think if he could fight to a game plan, khan could really test mayweather, but he can't and he won't. I would expect it to be competitive early on however.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:23 am

What would be the incentive/motivation for Mayweather to fight Khan before he gets banged up for 3 to 6 months? Khan is a twice loser, having lost his last match and kicked up a huge storm over it. Surely there will be more inspiring fights for Mayweather to have before his porridge and water stint?

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 18 Jan 2012, 8:07 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:That's boxing, if we're realistic the high point of Petersons career will be his win over Khan and it has been tarnished, Khan has places to go but Peterson hasn't, strange thing to say about the respective winner and loser of the bout between them.

And so far the biggest win on Khans record is zab judah ( a past it one as well).....

Hardly an outstanding record.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:15 am

milkyboy wrote:but then mayweather won't fight like maidana and peterson. As they say ad infinitum - styles make fights... i'm of the opinion that khan has a style that could trouble mayweather - Reach, height, fast hands... an ageing oscar showed what a doubled up jab could do and imho provided a blueprint of how best to trouble mayweather... of course he had a tight defence to go with it, and a boxing brain... a couple of crucial deficiencies in khan's armoury.

I genuinely think if he could fight to a game plan, khan could really test mayweather, but he can't and he won't. I would expect it to be competitive early on however.

One of Mayweather's stengths is his ability to adapt. You say he won't fight like Peterson and Maidana, and that may be true, but if he wants to he is capable of getting on the inside. And if he gets on the inside he will take Khan apart - let's not forget he was able to outdo Hatton in this respect.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:19 am

Maidana is the biggest win on Khan's record, albeit Judah is the biggest name.

As has been mentioned previously, Khan has the potential to go on to bigger things, therefore he'd be a slow-burner on PBF's CV, someone who could look a great win in 5-10 years time once Floyd has long since retired. That's his appeal, as long as Floyd doesn't completely break him a la Barrera-Naz.

Agree with Az, I'd give PBF 2-4 rounds to work Khan out then another 2 to finish him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

GW40 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:but then mayweather won't fight like maidana and peterson. As they say ad infinitum - styles make fights... i'm of the opinion that khan has a style that could trouble mayweather - Reach, height, fast hands... an ageing oscar showed what a doubled up jab could do and imho provided a blueprint of how best to trouble mayweather... of course he had a tight defence to go with it, and a boxing brain... a couple of crucial deficiencies in khan's armoury.

One of Mayweather's stengths is his ability to adapt. You say he won't fight like Peterson and Maidana, and that may be true, but if he wants to he is capable of getting on the inside. And if he gets on the inside he will take Khan apart - let's not forget he was able to outdo Hatton in this respect.

Mayweather can fight in the pocket, been said he could fight in a phone box. If he can tie Khan up close he won't ram forwards like Maidana and Peterson but he'll have a large box of dirty tricks up his sleave to wear Khan down and nullify his speed and reach advantages.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:40 am

Good luck to Khan if he gets to fight Mayweather, but I can't see it happening. He is being used as a political pawn to try to get Pacman to the table. Plus only one winner against Mayweather. Khan is world class, but Mayweather is a higher standard

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

The Floyd rumour wasn't true. GBP have apparently offered Peterson 50-50 to make the rematch.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7473052/amir-khan-drops-appeal-offers-50-50-split-rematch-lamont-peterson
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

Khan would never have fought Mayweather after all the childishness of Team Khan and GBP.

Do we honestly think Roach would have allowed Khan to fight Mayweather straight off the back of a loss? No chance.

I doubt Khan will ever face Floyd. Not due to ducking or anything daft like that.

I think Floyd has his eye on one more big win after Pacquiao and that is Canelo. Then retirement will be on the cards.

Khan will more than likely suffer another few defeats in the next few years so that will take him out of contention anyway. I think Maidana and Peterson have made the blueprint to beat Khan now.

Khan is too big headed now to change his ways.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

Reborn

That loss would be a win had it not been for some very dubious refereeing.

Maidana showed the way to beat this version of Khan. He will learn if he changes trainers who teaches him how to properly utilise his jab.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

azania wrote:Reborn

Maidana showed the way to beat this version of Khan. He will learn if he changes trainers who teaches him how to properly utilise his jab.

dubious refereeing? he got points deducted for pushing. it says in the rule book you can deduct points. hardly dubious.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

lovely_london wrote:

dubious refereeing? he got points deducted for pushing. it says in the rule book you can deduct points. hardly dubious.

Its a rule that is hardly ever applied. If it were applied with any regularity, then most boxers would have points deducted when fighting pressure fighters. Ali would have lost more fights also.

Yep, dubious reffing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

Its a rule that is hardly ever applied. If it were applied with any regularity, then most boxers would have points deducted when fighting pressure fighters. Ali would have lost more fights also.

Yep, dubious reffing.

No it is not dubious. The book says it can be used to deduct points so it is irrelevant if other refs use it or not. The fact it is a rule is all that matters.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

Yep, dubious reffing.

When the ref warns you half a dozen times before penalising you, the 'dubious/infrequent' argument goes out the window.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:He gets punched for a living. Whats your excuse for being wrong so often? Wink

That was a cracking shot Kev!!

Az, you could surely understand that it would be very disappointing to see Khan get a shot at Mayweather straight after losing to Peterson as it basically means he hasn't really earned it and you can surely see the side that as boxing fans, not just fans of UK boxing that we would be upset to see the injustice in that. You can talk about dubious refereeing however Khan wasn't able to clearly get the win. End of story really.

Regarding a possible Mayweather/Khan fight (Though it doesn't seem likely) Just because Peterson beat Khan it doesn't really translate as Khan getting ripped to pieces by Mayweather, completely different styles, it's very unlikely that Mayweather will charge in right through and take the fight right into Khan. He likes to fight on the outside generally and that's where Khan is at his best, with a good enough reach to make it a closeish fight. Would back Mayweather to pick him off and make it clear that he was the winner in the championship rounds, but I don't really think that it will be a complete one sided affair.

But Peterson/Khan rematch sounds very interesting, will be rather interesting to see what Khan has learned and whether he can deal with the inside fighting and pressure of Peterson. He has the tools to beat Peterson and for me he's favourite but will have to do a much better job last time, and be much more tactically astute to the attacks that Peterson will fire in at him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

Why have it as a rule if its gonna be cried about when used.

Someone had to use it at some point if it is illegal....oh wait, Khan is special, I forgot.

Cooper never reffed in the Ali fights so your arguement isn't worth a tommy tank.

This notion that Khan shouldn't have been docked points is absurd.

He wasn't nudging Peterson, he was shoving him using the underside of both arms.

Dubious Refereeing is when a fighter gets punished for not breaking rules.

I can't remember when pushing became legal.

Maybe Peterson should have been docked a point for every punch he landed Az, bloodly referee never seen that did he mad
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 18 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm

Maybe Cooper has done us a favor.

Khan seemed to be inventing a new style of fighting on the outside. Just push your opponent off then hit him, then repeat.

Just think, Hatton would never have got as far as he did if this "style" was created.

Az, just a quick question.

You say the rule of pushing never gets used by referees? Name the last fight you watched that had a fighter repeatedly shoving another fighter off him throughout it, the way that Khan did?

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

The issue we have guys, is that, and it's the same in all sports, every ref see's things differently. What the governing bodies need to do is get together, and make the laws black and white and take away all of this interpretation rubbish.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

Yep, dubious reffing.

When the ref warns you half a dozen times before penalising you, the 'dubious/infrequent' argument goes out the window.

He wasn't warned half a dozen times. Lets get real here. Pushing is not in the rules but it happens in every fight. The argument here is whether it was excessive or not. Had the ref literally ignored it no one here would have mentioned it because it is an accepted part of boxing.

I also note that it is mainly the Khan haters who claim it is justified whilst most publications and journos all say it was very harsh.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:He gets punched for a living. Whats your excuse for being wrong so often? Wink

Hmmmmm!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

That was a cracking shot Kev!!

Az, you could surely understand that it would be very disappointing to see Khan get a shot at Mayweather straight after losing to Peterson as it basically means he hasn't really earned it and you can surely see the side that as boxing fans, not just fans of UK boxing that we would be upset to see the injustice in that. You can talk about dubious refereeing however Khan wasn't able to clearly get the win. End of story really.

Regarding a possible Mayweather/Khan fight (Though it doesn't seem likely) Just because Peterson beat Khan it doesn't really translate as Khan getting ripped to pieces by Mayweather, completely different styles, it's very unlikely that Mayweather will charge in right through and take the fight right into Khan. He likes to fight on the outside generally and that's where Khan is at his best, with a good enough reach to make it a closeish fight. Would back Mayweather to pick him off and make it clear that he was the winner in the championship rounds, but I don't really think that it will be a complete one sided affair.

But Peterson/Khan rematch sounds very interesting, will be rather interesting to see what Khan has learned and whether he can deal with the inside fighting and pressure of Peterson. He has the tools to beat Peterson and for me he's favourite but will have to do a much better job last time, and be much more tactically astute to the attacks that Peterson will fire in at him.

Perhaps Mayweather understands that were it not for the dubious reffing, Khan would have got the nod. Likewise Vit giving Chis a shot after 'losing' to Helenius. Same principal.

Come on Alex. I'm not oone for the theory of because Peterson 'won' against Khan ergo Floyd beats him. Khan has nothing that Floyd hasn't seen before but Floyd has much that Khan hasn't seen and will never see. Khan simply isn't good enough for Floyd. He has speed etc but so did Judah. He has a good flurries but they are no good when hitting arms. Khan has fast hands but is too upright and easy to hit. For a fighter with the accuracy of Floyd, it will be an easy night.

I'd also pick Peterson to win a rematch with Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Why have it as a rule if its gonna be cried about when used.

Someone had to use it at some point if it is illegal....oh wait, Khan is special, I forgot.

Cooper never reffed in the Ali fights so your arguement isn't worth a tommy tank.

This notion that Khan shouldn't have been docked points is absurd.

He wasn't nudging Peterson, he was shoving him using the underside of both arms.

Dubious Refereeing is when a fighter gets punished for not breaking rules.

I can't remember when pushing became legal.

Maybe Peterson should have been docked a point for every punch he landed Az, bloodly referee never seen that did he mad

Whose talking about Cooper?

Dunious reffing is when a ref deducts points for a boxer doing what every other boxer does in every fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Maybe Cooper has done us a favor.

Khan seemed to be inventing a new style of fighting on the outside. Just push your opponent off then hit him, then repeat.

Just think, Hatton would never have got as far as he did if this "style" was created.

Az, just a quick question.

You say the rule of pushing never gets used by referees? Name the last fight you watched that had a fighter repeatedly shoving another fighter off him throughout it, the way that Khan did?

In many Ali fights. In many Floyd fights. You say repeatedly. It was done no more or less than most other fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

Yep, dubious reffing.

He wasn't warned half a dozen times. Lets get real here. Pushing is not in the rules but it happens in every fight. The argument here is whether it was excessive or not. Had the ref literally ignored it no one here would have mentioned it because it is an accepted part of boxing.

I also note that it is mainly the Khan haters who claim it is justified whilst most publications and journos all say it was very harsh.

I'm not saying it wasn't harsh, I'm saying it wasn't wrong. Not sure I can be bothered to watch the fight back, but from memory he was warned 2-3 times before each point was deducted, which overall constitutes c.6 times, i.e. half a dozen.

Helpful analogy:

The speed limit in residential areas is 30mph. We all know you get 10%/10%+3 and all those similar rules so will never get pulled for going a shade over (I've driven past, infront and behind police cars doing 33-34mph before.

If on Monday a pedantic copper pulled me over for doing 33mph I'd point this out to him and he'd probably give me a warning and say "Now drive on, son, and don't do it again".

If I drove the same route at the same speed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and each time the same copper pulled me over and said the same thing, finishing on Thursday with "next time I will definitely give you 3 points", and on Friday I drove passed him again at 33mph then I have absolutely no right to argue against the penalty.

Was I technically in the wrong - yes.
Would I normally be punished - no.
Was I warned - yes.
Was I given chance to alter my behaviour - yes.
Did I continue to break the law - yes.
Was the policeman unreasonable in penalising me after repeated warnings - no.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

I understand what you are saying, but my point remains. Boxers never get points deducted for pushing. It is that simple. That the ref decided to apply the letter of the law in this case is very harsh and in most cases unwarranted. It wasn't as though it was excessive either.

Also realise that I am not some Khan nuthugger. Totally objective here. But watch any Floyd fight, any ali fight and in particular any Foreman fight, you will see the amount of pushing that goes on. It makes Khan look amateurish in comparison.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

Taken from SkySports mobile site (not up on the full site yet):

Angry Khan turns back on IBF

Amir Khan has vowed to boycott IBF fights as the fallout from his Lamont Peterson defeat continues.
Hours before an IBF appeal hearing into the much-debated split-decision defeat, Khan's team withdrew their co-operation after learning certain fight officials would not be there to give evidence.
And the Briton's latest outburst suggests a proposed rematch with the American will come under the auspices of the WBA alone.
"Never will I fight for the IBF again," Khan wrote on his Twitter page. "WBA want an immediate rematch so I'll stick with that. I'll prove I won in the rematch but do not want the IBF involved."
Khan was both organisations' light-welterweight champion until Peterson took his belts with victory in Washington DC.
The 25-year-old - docked two points on the way to defeat - maintains he won the fight, while a delay in delivering the verdict and the presence at ringside of Mustafa Ameen prompted appeals to both governing bodies for a rematch.
The WBA granted that request earlier this month and Khan's Golden Boy promoters have asked Peterson to agree to a 50/50 revenue split.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:24 pm

azania wrote: It wasn't as though it was excessive either.

Totally subjective concept what constitutes excessive.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next