The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing?

+8
Rowley
d260005p
johnson2
BoxingFan88
manos de piedra
Fists of Fury
AlexHuckerby
Valero's Conscience
12 posters

Go down

Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing? Empty Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing?

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm

I've never thought Manny could beat Floyd and this opinion was only further cemented after the latest Manny/JMM fight.

I've always thought Martinez's style would be better suited against Floyd than Manny's style and therefore would this be a more appealing match-up for you?

Because of all the previous and current hype about Manny vs Floyd I don't expect it to receive the same attention or interest from the media but for the more knowledgeable boxing fan, wouldn't this interest you more?

The only thing I don't like is that if the fight is made it would be at 150ibs I expect, which is a c@tchweight, (sorry I shouldn't swear on the boards!) and this is too low for Martinez and it should be met at the middle at 154ibs. Martinez would agree at 150ibs for the likes of Manny and Floyd for the payday and chance of glory but it would irritate me.

If (and that's a big if) this fight is made would you be happy, I know I would!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing? Empty Re: Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing?

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

Floyd wouldn't force a catchweight on a guy bigger than him. He's been too critical of Manny on it also.

If this fight happens at 154 I'd be much happier than I would with a Manny fight I guess as I see it possible that Floyd could lose. Or rather more probable.

Be shocked if it happens though. Don't think Floyd would duck because of the risk, but because he maybe wouldn't want to redo 154, to which you can't really blame him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing? Empty Re: Martinez vs Mayweather more appealing?

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

Yeah, I think it would be a good match up and a bigger test for Floyd. Around the time of the Cotto fight I had Manny vs Floyd as a real pick 'em, in the belief that Manny most definitely had the necessary workrate and unorthodox style to outwork Floyd to a close decision, with Floyd obviously having the counter punching and defensive ability to win a decision himself.

However, Manny looks to have slowed down, thus taking away his one big chance of a win. For me, I agree that Martinez may be the more viable fight now in terms of Floyd's own legacy. Beating a good big guy would do it wonders.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm

Id prefer Pacquiao v Mayweather by some distance I have to say as they have been rivals for a long time now and been in the same weight class. I think Pacquaio is getting written off a little too easily these days but this would definately be the fight Id prefer to see as it answers so many more questions.

A Martinez fight would be a great fight for Floyd but I dont see why not at 154. Anything less and it would raise too many doubts over Martinez if he lost I think.

If the Pacquiao fight didnt/doesnt happen I would like Mayweather to look at moving to 154 where he could potentially face Alvarez/Cotto/Martinez. Much more appealing fights for me than the likes of Khan/Guerrero.

Ideally Martinez could step down and face Cotto who he has long sought a fight with. Mayweather could step up and fight Alvarez in a blockbuster. And then the winners face each other in about a years time.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm

Floyd should fight him at 154 for forget it, no space for catchweights.

Martinez is tied up anyway.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm

Him or Alvarez would be awesome on his CV, but they would still say he drained Martinez to 154 and that he caught Alvarez green, blah blah freakin' blah.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:15 pm

Has Manny really slowed down. I personally dont think so. i think some of his fights have made him look a million dollars, rightly so as he performed well, but as soon as he struggles with a style i.e. Marquez counter punching and Mosely running a marathon people are to quick to say he has faded.

Is Mayweather faded because Shane Mosley caught him with some good shots?

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

Well when you say caught by some good shots, he got caught by 2 big ones the entire night. Everything else missed by miles and then come round 4 Mosley had nothing left physically and mentally from the beating he was taking. If Pacquiao had taken a couple of shots from Marquez in the same manner, and then went on to hammer him, then fine. Fact is though, he didnt do that. He was pot-shotted all night long. Didnt look fast. Didnt look good. Even Pacman thought he lost, along with Freddie Roach, the booing audience and the telecast commentators. Mosley proved that moving to the left against Pacman confuses him. Hence why Marquez did it. Only difference is that Marquez punched, Mosely did not.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:28 pm

I don't think it is that Johnson. He definitely struggled with Marquez on a technical level, as he has done in the past. However, he looked considerably slower in this fight than he did against Marquez previously, and likewise a lot slower than he did against Cotto.

People say that it is because he was facing a good counter puncher, but he never looked that slow before when fighting Marquez. Don't get me wrong, he is still bloody fast, but maybe not the whirlwind that he was a couple of years ago.

It is by no means an enormous decline, but just one that is slightly noticeable to my eyes.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

Personally I still believe Manny and Floyd is the best fight out there, we can debate whether one or both of them has slowed down a beat and so on but the reality remains they are still pretty much the top two of every pound for pound list you are likely to read, and more importantly have enough work behind them to be considered natural and effective at welterweight.

The same cannot be said of Martinez, he has been operating with some distinction at middle so in as much as Floyd is a natual welter he is a natural middle meaning for this fight to happen there has to be concessions made on one or both sides and when that happens so do the reasons/excuses for the defeat.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

It would be a good fight and Floyd might fancy it more now following Martinez's below par performance against Baker. Martinez is a natural 154 fighter and a weight both fighters could make. Floyd by a close decision for me.

I have always thought that Floyd had the edge over Manny but for global appeal for the sport I would always want that fight to be made over any other.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

If we're saying that Martinez is a natural 154lber then Mayweather isn't a natural welterweight as he came up the weights and barely rehydrates, there is definitely at least two divisions difference in there natural weight. That being said Mayweather wouldn't force a 150lb catchweight as he's openly said he's willing to face Cotto or Alvarez at there full weight limit.

Reality is that Mayweather will be facing on of Cotto or Alvarez next as Pacquiao and Martinez are either unavailable or unrealistic.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

Preferred fights in order:

1. Alvarez @ 154
2. Martinez @ 154
3. Pacman @ 140
4. JMM @ 140

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

5. Cotto @ 154

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Preferred fights in order:

1. Alvarez @ 154
2. Martinez @ 154
3. Pacman @ 140
4. JMM @ 140

Mayweather is never going to fight at 140lbs.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

If Martinez scrapes by against Macklin this fight will be possible. Can't see it though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down