The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather eyes Martinez move

+8
ShahenshahG
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
azania
JabMachineMK2
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
12 posters

Go down

Mayweather eyes Martinez move  Empty Mayweather eyes Martinez move

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Taken from ESPN:http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/144057.html#

The Floyd Mayweather Jnr v Manny Pacquiao super-fight that the world wants to see could be fading on Mayweather's list of objectives, as he contemplates an assault on the world middleweight championship.

The American is preparing to face Miguel Cotto on May 5 for the WBA light-middleweight title, after which calls will once again grow for him to take on Pacquiao, who fights Timothy Bradley a month later.

However, rather than considering a drop in weight - or a demand for Pacquiao to step up - in order for the pair to square off, Mayweather's trainer and uncle Roger recently revealed a move up to middleweight could be on the agenda. That was later confirmed by the fighter himself, who has WBC champion Sergio Martinez in his sights.

"I can't rule out the future, you know down the line I may want to make that jump and fight at middleweight, you just never know," Mayweather stated over the weekend.

"I just want to give the fans exciting fights and if Martinez is the guy at that time then we shall see, but right now my main focus is on Miguel Cotto."

Victory over Martinez would make Mayweather the first boxer to win a world title in six weight divisions without suffering a single loss. For a man obsessed with his own legacy, such a statistic would greatly appeal to Mayweather.

Martinez, unofficially recognised as one of the top five pound-for-pounders in the world, has previously recorded his interest in a Mayweather bout, and promoter Lou DiBella has even offered terms that would surely appeal to the American.

"Look, I want him (Martinez) to get the big fight. I want him to get the pay-per-view fight," DiBella told FIGHTHYPE. "We'll take 20 per cent to fight Mayweather at 150lbs. It's a fascinating fight and Mayweather could probably make a good portion of the money he would make fighting Pacquiao."

What do we reckon lads?

Mayweather doesn't usually name drop opponents, so I think he must be taking a fight with Martinez seriously.

Would be fasinating to see him fight at Middleweight as well.

Thoughts~?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Mayweather eyes Martinez move  Empty Re: Mayweather eyes Martinez move

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Martinez is a natural LMW/JMW anyway so the drop as a catchweight wouldn't be too much although given his age, it'll be some ask to get there and who knows what he'll be losing in terms of power and the ability to stop Mayweather.

That said, Martinez is a true warrior - great for the sport. I see him killing himself to make that weight but doing it for the fans. Mayweather will rip him apart and get a wide UD - Martinez is great, but Mayweather is better.

I'd prefer this fight over Mayweather vs Pacquiao just because no money is going near Bob Arum. And thats a good thing. Its the biggest fight outside Mayweather vs Pacquiao and the numbers will give Uncle Bob a heart attack.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I have serious doubts about this. If it happens at 160 I can only see one winner and it wont be Floyd. Floyd doesn't have the frame to carry 160 comfortably. At 150 I see Floyd beating a seriously drained fighter.

Were the fight to happen it should only be at 160. None of this catchweight nonsense.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Sergio is a warrior, but he wont be doing it for the fans. $4-5m reasons why he will do it if offered (drop weight that is).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 pm

This is not a 160 fight. This is a 154 fight. Martinez makes that easy and floyd is already traingin for one v Cotto.

160 is nonsense. 150 is too much weight loss for MArtinez.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Wouldn't read too much in to this, personally. Very loose terms used by Floyd, there. It would be fascinating to see Mayweather at Middleweight, I agree, but if he went anywhere near Martinez I imagine he'd want it to be a few lb south of 160. I think Floyd's '0' is becoming more and more important to him the closer he gets to the end of his career - he knows the effect it'll have on his legacy if he can get out of the sport with it still intact after two or three more good wins. Martinez, given his size and current form, represents a little too much risk, I'd imagine. After Cotto, I'd imagine Pacquiao will still be on his radar, perhaps Alvarez too, but I can't see this one myself. Don't blame Mayweather, either. He owes nobody a step up to Middleweight given his size.

Would have absolutely nothing but the most effusive praise for Mayweather if he did go after Martinez, mind you.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:29 pm

If he were to go up to 160, fights and beats Martinez then he should be a nailed on top 10 ATG. Will not fighting Paq affect whereabout inside the top 10 he finishes?

But the whole thing could be a ploy to drag Pac out for a fight in November.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I can't see how it will happen at 160. Mayweather's heaviest weigh to date was 150 at the weigh in vs DLH at 154 and he supposingly weighed in at 148 on the actual fight night.

He walks around normally at around 150. Although Martinez is a small middleweight, he would still be massive compared to floyd. Martinez weighed 157 las fight, so I think e can shed those last 3 lbs easily enough.

Massive respect to floyd if he takes the fight but I can't see it being at 160 when Martinez is willing to go to 150. Why would mayweather want to be at a disadvantage

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Ortiz weighed 161lb against Floyd last year so I don't think Martinez coming in at 157lb would make a difference.

I think a catchweight for Martinez's middleweight title wouldn't be out of the question. Martinez and Williams fought a catchweight of 158/157 (cant remember which it was). So I could maybe see this happening if it ever to unfold.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Don't think Floyd would do the catchweight, get the impression he likes sticking it to Manny by saying I fight people at their natural weight. Like others have said will not get too excited until signed sealed and delivered but no ifs or buts if Floyd was to take on and beat Martinez at 160 after Cotto it would be the kind of acheivement you would have to give praise to pretty much without qualification.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Ortiz rehydrated to that weight. Martinez would probably rehydrate to 168 or there abouts. Plus Martinez is simply a better boxer than Ortiz.

I wouldn't like to see titles on the line at a catchweight fight. But interesting fight and would say a pick em at 156 or even 154.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Well its still a great matchup that the fans would definitly fork out the readies to see. I would be a real chess match I think, and a complete different style for Floyd to deal with.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, if there's even a hint of truth in all of this, Martinez is going to have to find a few decent fights from somewhere in the meantime, because something tells me that, after Cotto, it won't be until early 2013 that we see Mayweather back in the ring, at best. Can't see him wanting to sit at the negotiating table and then jump in to a hard ten week training camp straight after coming out of the big house.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm

I'd be a bigger fan than I am now. De la Hoya came in at 154 and I imagine about 160 on fight night, but he really doesnt have the strength comparable to Martinez. If he beats him then he makes top ten and not fighting Pacquiao is half forgiven. If he beats both of them and Alvarez then where does he go?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

why are we talking about 160? 154 is Martinez better weight class and much closer to where Floyd can get to safely. 160 should not even be mentioned, unless it's for a belt, which shouldn't matter

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:17 pm

A pick 'em at 156 or 154?

I don't even like Mayweather, I hope Martinez tears him apart - but honestly - Mayweather will win this easily.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

This catchweight nonsense should be kicked into touch Middleweight limit is at 160.

If the jump in weight is too much then its simple stay where you are instead of trying to gain unfair advantage with this catchweight crud.

If Martinez weighs in at 159 and comes in 168 on the night tough.

That's why I admire De la Hoya,fought BHop at the 160 limit.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Nico the gman wrote:This catchweight nonsense should be kicked into touch Middleweight limit is at 160.

If the jump in weight is too much then its simple stay where you are instead of trying to gain unfair advantage with this catchweight crud.

If Martinez weighs in at 159 and comes in 168 on the night tough.

That's why I admire De la Hoya,fought BHop at the 160 limit.

Wasn't that a catchweight fight?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeh 158 lbs LTM

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Yep, Hopkins-De la Hoya was a catchweight bout, I'm fairly sure. 156 / 157 lb. That said, I agree with the general point Nico is making. Not a fan of catchweight bouts, even less so if there's a title involved.

Fully appreciate that they have allowed us to see some excellent fights in the past, but I've always been of the opinion that if someone is clearly too big / small, heavy / light for you, then don't fight them.

Say it to yourselves slowly - there are seventeen weight classes these days. Seven...Teen. More than enough to do away with catchweights, surely? I genuinely don't see the point of having all of these weight divisions (most of which aren't separated by all that much) if we're going to decide now and then not to use them.

I take slight exception to the idea that a couple of lb here or there doesn't make any difference. If that's the case, then why do you need the catchweight in the first place? The simple answer is that it's designed to put one fighter at some kind of disadvantage, a concept which just doesn't sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never suggest that a catchweight makes Pacquiao beating Cotto, Martinez beating Williams etc meaningless. But I'd be more impressed had those wins been secured at the full and proper weight limit of their respective divisions. I'll say it again - there are seventeen of the bleedin' things.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Yeh 158 lbs LTM
I stand corrected,and don't agree with it been at 158 ,thought it was 160,therefore De La Hoya your fired.

The governing bodies should be doing something about it,but at the end of the day its about money,and to be honest the promoters seem to have the last say,makes you wonder where some of the money goes to.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Martinez will drop to 154 for floyd, would be a great fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:A pick 'em at 156 or 154?

I don't even like Mayweather, I hope Martinez tears him apart - but honestly - Mayweather will win this easily.

I dont think it will be easy for him. Lets not forget that he started off at SFW. And he's a small WW. He may have all the skills in the world, but I believe at 160 it will be a step too far even for him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Please make it happen Floyd, forget about Pacquiao I want Alvarez and Martinez, those two fights would in my opinion make the matter of not fighting Pacquiao fairly meaningless. Would imagine the fight would be at the full 160lb limit because as Rowley pointed out he likes to really rub Arums nose in it with the fights he takes.

Mosley, Marquez and Cotto were all taken to spite him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down