The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split!

+20
TopHat24/7
manos de piedra
AlexHuckerby
owen10ozzy
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
The genius of PBF
Fists of Fury
Mark2011
Lance
hogey
BoxingFan88
The Galveston Giant
azania
oxring
tcribb
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split! - Page 2 Empty Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split!

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Link below to Boxingscene article.

Basically Floyd says Manny asked for a 50/50 split and Floyd said no it can't happen!

It doesn't say weather Manny agreed to May 5th or any other date but this is extremely dissapointing from Floyd!

It's not that i'm suprised by this from Floyd but regardless if Floyd makes a sells a few more PPV's than Manny, he knows a 50/50 has to happen!

Disapointed Floyd, disapointed Sad

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-rejects-pacquiaos-50-50-proposal-5--48745

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split! - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split!

Post by Adam D Sat 21 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

My opinion on who's the villian..... it's always the Butler!! Cool

Spoiler:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split! - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd & Manny Spoke: Floyd Rejected 50/50 Split!

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 22 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

Both equally to blame in my book. And I dont buy this notion that Arum or any other promoter is stopping this fight from happening. At the end of the day if the fighters really wanted it then it would be signed, end of!!

This is what happens when fighters have so many belts to go for, catch weights to move through (and win belts at)....it becomes far to easy to put a tag on a fight and make it the selling point and increase the fighters earnings. They then know they can continue to trade off easy fights and take a larger cut.

It isnt just one problem in boxing, there is a multi-tude and just like in life at the moment it all comes down to one thing 'MONEY'. People are never happy with what they have and always want more. Whilst the rest of the world withers on in a state of economic melt down we have these twits arguing over who gets the larger portion of a $100 million pie. Absolutly disgusting.

I for one will not purchase the fight, in fact I will make a point of streaming it for free online to get a sense of self satisfaction that neither will have there pockets lined by myself. Unfortunatly unless everyone takes this stance then we will always have this problem in boxing.

Regardless I dont think either fighter will be that fondly remembered when they retire. This whole scenario is why I would put the likes of Hatton, De La Hoya above these two...at least they had the decency to get out their and fight the best. And not just when they were past their prime or out of their weight comfort!

Rant Over!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 22 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

Agreed. You've got to respect De La Hoya for doing what he had to do to get the big fights happening.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

Just look at what D4 is missing!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

Last 5 fights - For Mayweather/Pacquiao - PPV Buys

Mayweather/Oscar De La Hoya - 2.4 Million Buys
Mayweather/Hatton - 920,000 Buys (not including UK)
Mayweather/Marquez - 1.05 Million Buys
Mayweather/Mosley - 1.4 Million Buys
Mayweather/Ortiz - 1.25 Million Buys

Total - 7.02 Million Buys

Pacquiao/Cotto - 1.25 Million Buys
Pacquiao/Clottey - 750,000 Buys
Pacquiao/Margarito - 1.15 Million Buys
Pacquiao/Mosley - 1.3 Million Buys
Pacquiao/Marquez - 1.45 Million Buys

Total - 5.9 Million Buys

Also, Mayweathers fights were generally charged at a higher rate, such as Pac/JMM did more PPV Buys but didn't gross as much money as Mayweather/Ortiz.

Realistically, Mayweather should be getting a higher fee, but at this point -

WHO CARES!?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 22 Jan 2012, 6:35 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Last 5 fights - For Mayweather/Pacquiao - PPV Buys

Total - 5.9 Million Buys

Also, Mayweathers fights were generally charged at a higher rate, such as Pac/JMM did more PPV Buys but didn't gross as much money as Mayweather/Ortiz.

WHO CARES!?

Those figures actually make it look like they do similar enough numbers. When the opponents are common (eg Mosely/Marquez) the difference is negligable. The big difference is the inclusion of de la Hoya in Mayweathers numbers who is probably the biggest seller in the last decade.

50/50 would look fair to me on the basis of the above.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

Mayweather generates a fair bit more money than Pacquiao from his fights which is the most important factor, it should be 50/50 but in reality Mayweather as the bigger money make is well within his rights to ask for more.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

Mayweather is within his rights to ask. HOWEVER - its still an obvious stumbling block that Floyd (this time) has pulled out of nowhere to stop the fight from happening.

And as Manos said - Mayweather-Marquez 1.05 million, Pacquiao-Marquez 1.45 million. Mayweather-Mosley 1.4 million, Pacquiao-Mosley 1.3million.

Against the same opponents, their PPV figures are pretty similar.

Mayweather gets a massive fillip for his fight against Oscar - but we shouldn't overlook quite how big that fight was. It was a non-event, in itself - but it was massive - the current PPV superstar vs the previous golden boy coming back out of retirement off an impressive win (albeit over a human punching bag).
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm

The numbers are fairly misleading though oxy as it seems to suggest that they bring similar money to the fight when the reality is that they don't.

The importance of the fight though means it should be 50/50 as neither would earn that kind of money in any other fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The importance of the fight though means it should be 50/50 as neither would earn that kind of money in any other fight.

Agreed. You've said it before - at some point - which is more important - the money?

How much would the difference be? A couple of million? How much is 2 million worth if you're already earning 30 for the fight (hypothetical figures, obvs).

And what's he going to do with it? Buy a better quality of magazine to decorate his jail cell?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm

He earns about $30mil for every fight as it is let alone the $50mil plus he'd get for fighting Pacquiao, seems a battle of wills between Arum and Mayweather to show who's boss.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:15 am

manos de piedra wrote:

Total - 5.9 Million Buys

WHO CARES!?

Those figures actually make it look like they do similar enough numbers. When the opponents are common (eg Mosely/Marquez) the difference is negligable. The big difference is the inclusion of de la Hoya in Mayweathers numbers who is probably the biggest seller in the last decade.

Those figures are heavily skewed due to the Mayweather-PBF fight. If you take the average of their last 4 fights, they're actually identical (£1.16m) therefore, as per Manos, totally support a 50:50 split. Might also be a point that only 1 of Pac's fights involved an American, all the rest were PPV sales for non-American v non-American, and given America is where those stats come from, and how patriotic/blinkered the Yanks can be, Pac's fights will always be a slightly tougher PPV sell.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:58 am

Looking at ESB, Mayweather could be set to fight Cotto on May 5th and Manny could fight Bradley on June 9th.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:21 am

Any suggestion of what weight the Cotto fight would be at? Bradley presumably would be 147.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

Doesn't say, there is another story that mentions a possibly PBF/Pac fight in November, but in Qatar!

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

Sounds about right....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

hampo171 wrote:Doesn't say, there is another story that mentions a possibly PBF/Pac fight in November, but in Qatar!

That really sticks in your throat.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25012012/58/mayweather-s-mouth.html

Two things were obvious after spending an hour with Floyd Mayweather Jr. last week at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.

He seems to truly believe that Pacquiao’s recent run of success is due to the use of performance-enhancing drugs. And, secondly, though he wouldn’t say it in so many words, he also seems to view Pacquiao as a legitimate threat.

Pacquiao has sued Mayweather for defamation in federal court over allegations that Mayweather has accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs.

Though Mayweather was careful in choosing his words, he also left no doubt that he believes Pacquiao’s incredible streak has been artificially aided.

Mayweather was never asked whether he thought Pacquiao takes PEDs. Asked a question about how a fight between the two greatest fighters in the world might play out if the promoters could ever reach a deal, Mayweather at first expressed confidence he would win, but then seemed to search for an explanation for Pacquiao’s success.

“It’s just so crazy that a guy can pop up out of nowhere and become such an amazing fighter,” Mayweather said. “A guy like me has been doing it since the ’90s, dominating the sport and beating the best out there. This guy just popped up out of nowhere and people are trying to say he’s on the level of a Floyd Mayweather, when I’ve been dominating and doing this for almost 20 years now.”

Mayweather won his first world title in his 18th pro fight on Oct. 3, 1998 – 13 years ago Floyd, not 20 – when he was 21 years, 7 months old.

It might surprise Mayweather to know that Pacquiao won his first world title just two months later, on Dec. 4, 1998, in his 25th pro fight. Pacquiao was two weeks shy of his 20th birthday when he won the World Boxing Council flyweight title.

Pacquiao jumped three classes, bypassing super flyweight and bantamweight, to win his second world title, on June 23, 2001, when he captured the International Boxing Federation junior featherweight title. He was 22 years, 6 months old and it took him 30 months to win that second title. Mayweather needed 44 months to win his second belt, when he captured the WBC lightweight belt on April 20, 2002.

That would seem to debunk his theory that Pacquiao came out of nowhere. But Mayweather also clearly views Pacquiao as a threat, though he tries to dismiss him.

“He’s a pressure fighter, but there are a lot of mistakes that he makes,” Mayweather said. “You can’t make those mistakes with Floyd Mayweather. If you make those mistakes with me, you have to pay.”

Mayweather then went on to say he thought Juan Manuel Marquez defeated Pacquiao easily when they met at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Nov. 12. Mayweather routed Marquez, winning all 12 rounds on one judge’s card, taking 11 on another and 10 on a third. Pacquiao won a majority decision on Nov. 12. Judge Robert Hoyle had it a draw, six rounds to six, but the other two judges had Pacquiao by margins of 7-5 and 8-4.

“I’m not saying he hasn’t earned the right to face Floyd Mayweather, but I can’t say that [Pacquiao is the best in the world other than me],” Mayweather said. “There are a lot of good strong champions out there. Speaking honestly, I thought Marquez won the last fight easily. Easily, yes, absolutely. You can put the fight on mute and just watch it. The guy was getting outboxed real easily. One guy was putting pressure on, but wasn’t landing and the other guy was not taking any punishment and landing basically at will in that last fight.”

Kevin Iole / Yahoo

Mayweather really does talk a lot of nonsense at times.

“It’s just so crazy that a guy can pop up out of nowhere and become such an amazing fighter,” Mayweather said. “A guy like me has been doing it since the ’90s, dominating the sport and beating the best out there. This guy just popped up out of nowhere

Mayweather's first pro fight - 1996

Pacquiao's first pro fight - 1995

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

They were also both the same weight (106, I think) at 17, just Pac went pro quick as he had to put food on the table whereas priveliged Mayweather could work his way through the traditional amateur ranks, therefore bulking up before he turned pro.

Basically Mayweather's full of poopie, but I'd still back him to take Pac by wide UD.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

I can see what he means...Manny wasn't a house hold name really until he beat Oscar, that fight got the arm chair fans talking about him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

hampo171 wrote:I can see what he means...Manny wasn't a house hold name really until he beat Oscar, that fight got the arm chair fans talking about him.

You could also argue Mayweather's ego got him noticed long before Manny

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

Bit tenuous though isn't it, Lionel?

Love him or loath him, just about everybody recognised that Mayweather was a huge and rare talent very early on.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 1:54 pm

hampo171 wrote:I can see what he means...Manny wasn't a house hold name really until he beat Oscar, that fight got the arm chair fans talking about him.

He wasn't a household name because America is the most inward looking Western country in the world. The general public have no idea about the geography, politics or socio-economics of any country outside of North America. He was 6 yrs into his career and already a two weight world champion by the time he fought in America for the first time and even then wouldn't have been noticed until he started fighting the 3 Mexican greats, winning his third weight world title in the process. Arguably 'arm-chair' fans might even then have not heard of him as his career defining fights never invoved an American.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Nobody deserves a bigger share of the purse. They're the two biggest boxers on the planet, it should be 50/50 or the other should rightly say 'no, sorry'.

If only it was so simply hey FoF.

It's insane and 50 - 50 would still be the biggest payday of both their careers!

Did Floyd get 50-50 with Oscar?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

Total - 5.9 Million Buys

WHO CARES!?

Agree Manos.

Also, and surely the biggest point, Floyd and Manny won't get anywhere this much from any other fight except each other. On that basis, 50-50 it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2