The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

+17
djlovesyou
hampo17
Mind the windows Tino.
J.Benson II
The Galveston Giant
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
tcribb
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Valero's Conscience
TRUSSMAN66
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
AlexHuckerby
bhb001
Rowley
Mr Bounce
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen Empty Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

After David Price's 73 second wipe out of John McDermott he became the mandatory challenger for Tyson Furys British Heavyweight title.

Price looks a terrific prospect. His foot movement for a man of 6ft 8 and 17 and a half stone is excellent. He seems to have the power and picks his shots beautifully.

Fury on the other hand is the more famous of the 2 due to his contract with channel 5 where in his 3 fights so far has delivered on entertainment no doubt about that but it has also shown the flaws so many could see a year ago. The big traveller doesn't do boxing he comes to fight and is wild and wide open. He is getting floored by smaller men who aren't punchers which should be a real worry for his promoter Mick Hennessey.

This being said will Hennessey be interested in this fight? Fury looks made for Price. Tyson is heading out to New York to fight on the under card of the Martinez v Macklin bout against an unnamed opponent so a fight with the Big Scouser won't be in the mix until the summer.

If I was Big Mick I would do with the British strap what Riddick Bowe did all those years ago with his WBC heavyweight title and chuck it in the bin. Fury should have no part of Price. If he was promoted by Frank Warren or Matchroom you can guarantee this fight wouldn't happen.

Think of it as if you were Mick Hennessey would you make this fight? Fury is a big draw and could make a lot of money but Price could really set him back or worse.

Last edited by SugarRayRussell (PBK) on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen Empty Re: Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

Fury may be a big draw, but it's all about the entertainment factor. If he takes the Price fight and loses, it won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Because of the way he fights he will always be a crowd pleaser, so whilst Price goes off in search of Euro-level scalps, Fury can re-take the British and Commonwealth titles and be knocking over has-beens and never-weres.

Price destroys Fury in less than 5 rounds.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen Empty Re: Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:16 am

Get the impression Fury is a guy who will genuinely want the fight as he does not seem to lack for self belief or a willingness to test himself, got to remember a the time he fought Big John it was considered quite a step up, given Mick has virtually no stable left he will need to deliver what Fury wants so if Tyson wants this think it will happen, also what are his options, go over to Europe and fight Helenius, after what happened to Chisora can't see guys lining up for that job.

However like you I fancy Price for this, really don't rate Fury, think the fact he is reckoned as prospect says more about the era than it does him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

I understand the logic from a business perspective, but I still think that there is a right and proper way to do things. Prove your best in the country, then in the continent and then on to world glories. And the fight would make both fighters a decent wedge, so hopefully this and glory will be enough!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

bhb001 wrote:I understand the logic from a business perspective, but I still think that there is a right and proper way to do things. Prove your best in the country, then in the continent and then on to world glories. And the fight would make both fighters a decent wedge, so hopefully this and glory will be enough!!

Completely agree.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

bhb001 wrote:I understand the logic from a business perspective, but I still think that there is a right and proper way to do things. Prove your best in the country, then in the continent and then on to world glories. And the fight would make both fighters a decent wedge, so hopefully this and glory will be enough!!

When did this ever matter. Fury can dodge Price and still improve his World ranking by beating Euro trash and American bums. I would like to see the fight but I don't think we will.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

I think it's still possible.

Fury will look like a ducker if he steps to one side or relinquishes his belts to not face Price, Price has come out and challenged him rather openly (Pretty much) I don't think Fury wants to look like a ducker or have a ducker tag and I think he reckons he's a hell of a lot better than he is. Plus it's probably a decent wage for the fight as well, maybe higher than the Chisora fight for Fury, so you never know...

Hope it happens would love to see Tyson "Flailing armed" Fury get sparked, it's almost a miracle he's lasted this long.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

I think it will happen in April/May as Fury has gained a reputation as a fighting man and will lose all credibility if he avoids Price who is mandatory.

I do think Fury has the power to KO Price early so I would fancy him; but it could be a case of the first big punch landing ending it. Remember they fought in the amateurs and though Price won narrowly, he was floored (twice I think) which does not bode well for the pro's!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:27 pm

Disagree.....I don't think it makes sense to risk an undefeated record for relatively paltry money at Brit level...In an ideal world they should and would fight..

World heavy title fights always sell and the combatants get paid such good money..that these two taking eachother on would be financially stupid!!

Shame but I don't think both camps will want it........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:14 pm

It's a hard fight for Fury to turn down. His biggest stock is in the UK and it's probably the biggest fight he can have ATM.

He can't be claiming to be ready to fight World level opposition when he won't fight British Champion level opposition and also needs a fight like this to raise his profile to be seen as earning the right to compete for bigger and better things.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm

He can claim wrongly that he's already done the British thing and is ready for World opposition...

Spin makes the world go wrong..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Big Price will rip his head clean AFF!!!!! I tells ya
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

Price has done nothing wrong at looks tidy, however I have that sneaky horrible feeling that when someone tests his whiskers he'll topple, whether Fury is that man I'm not sure, it'll be a closer fight than many are predicting.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Interesting to see what happens as Fury on the face of things stands next to no chance of beating Price, if he lasts more than two rounds i'd be surprised.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

Whats the incentive for Fury to dump his titles? Better to lose them in the ring and give yourself a fighting chance as well as some credibility than throwing them away and having nowhere to go. A loss for Fury, if indeed it comes to that, is not the end of the world. Especially if Price moves along quickly. I think this fight is a good one for both fighters to take unless there ambition is little more than to fight journeymen for the best part of their careers.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Fury doesn't need Price. Fury is a name and Price isn't. Fury is World ranked and a couple of bums away from a World title shot. Why risk that for a British title defence he looks pretty certain to lose.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:20 pm

Exactly my point..

Lose for big money......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Fury doesn't need Price. Fury is a name and Price isn't. Fury is World ranked and a couple of bums away from a World title shot. Why risk that for a British title defence he looks pretty certain to lose.

And do what? If he cant beat Price he isnt going to get much farther anyway. Unless he gets a Euro shot or opts to have his head caved in by a Klitschko I dont really see the benefit of throwing away the titles he has will have on his career. Price is the kind of opponent he needs to be able to beat if he want to advance properly. If he wants to lose credibility by ducking Price and fight trash in the meantime the so be it but I dont see how it advances his career. Price will most likely just outstrip him in that event anyhow. I dont think a loss sets his carrer back badly either. Chisora has got back to back Euro and world shots on losses. Fury needs proper tests like Price to either advance as a fighter or show him where hes going wrong.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

This is part of the problem with boxing now, the fans themselves seem to excuse fighters for fighting those at their level, we should want to see Fury fight Price not make excuses why it shouldn't.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Fury doesn't need Price. Fury is a name and Price isn't. Fury is World ranked and a couple of bums away from a World title shot. Why risk that for a British title defence he looks pretty certain to lose.

And do what? If he cant beat Price he isnt going to get much farther anyway. Unless he gets a Euro shot or opts to have his head caved in by a Klitschko I dont really see the benefit of throwing away the titles he has will have on his career. Price is the kind of opponent he needs to be able to beat if he want to advance properly. If he wants to lose credibility by ducking Price and fight trash in the meantime the so be it but I dont see how it advances his career. Price will most likely just outstrip him in that event anyhow. I dont think a loss sets his carrer back badly either. Chisora has got back to back Euro and world shots on losses. Fury needs proper tests like Price to either advance as a fighter or show him where hes going wrong.

But Price beats him for what about £50k. He beats a couple of bums for similar money and then gets a shot at a Klitschko and makes good money. Why risk it Price will batter him.

It's a fight I want tot see but I don't think we will because of the reasons I've gave.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

If he doesn't fight Price then he'll quickly find himself behind him in the pecking list.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

Not really because he can fight other ranked fighters and Price isn't anywhere near as active as Fury.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

If he's not going to fight Price then I doubt he'll be fighting any ranked fighters either.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

But Price beats him for what about £50k. He beats a couple of bums for similar money and then gets a shot at a Klitschko and makes good money. Why risk it Price will batter him.

It's a fight I want tot see but I don't think we will because of the reasons I've gave.

To me thats like throwing in the towel on your career. I would hope someone in Furys position would actually look to develop and improve as a fighter and try give himself the best possible chance in a world title shot rather than rush into a fight he is woefully outmatched in.

The Klitschkos are not going anywhere. Even if they do it just makes getting a world title that much easier. So why rush in would be my take. Look to develop your career and your skills. If you start ducking at domestic level then your done for really and will never hope to improve properly.

Unless he can garauntee a tite shot very soon either then Price will simply overtake him anyway and Furys credibility for lining up bums and ditching his title will be badly damaged.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

You're wrong Ghosty...In the old days the British crown was probably something you'd have to win to get a shot at a world belt...

Boxing is a hard sport....Who'll care about Fury when he's gone..

From a business perspective if you can get rich without taking undue risk...then take it..

for the fan it may not be so good...but times have changed.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

What am I wrong about?

Price will overtake Fury if they don't fight anyway so where does that get him?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

He won't overtake him...

Fury beat Chisora who is fighting for the prestigious WBC belt.....

So how can Price overtake Fury in this day and age...

One will go one route and the other guy will take the other!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

To me thats like throwing in the towel on your career. I would hope someone in Furys position would actually look to develop and improve as a fighter and try give himself the best possible chance in a world title shot rather than rush into a fight he is woefully outmatched in.

The Klitschkos are not going anywhere. Even if they do it just makes getting a world title that much easier. So why rush in would be my take. Look to develop your career and your skills. If you start ducking at domestic level then your done for really and will never hope to improve properly.

Unless he can garauntee a tite shot very soon either then Price will simply overtake him anyway and Furys credibility for lining up bums and ditching his title will be badly damaged.

Fury isn't looking to improve he is looking to make money. He has stated many times that he won't change his style he will go in and fight and if he gets knocked out then so be it. Furys credibility will be shot amongst real fans like us but amongst the general public who actually matter they won't care. He's entertaining and even if he ducks Price he will still entertain and pull massive viewing figures on channel 5 which will always put him in a better position than price to challenge for World honours.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

I'm sorry but are we all Fury's accountant on here or beneficaries on his will or something, all this path of least resistance talk and taking the easiest way to the biggest payday stuff makes we want to puke, if he wants to make the most money for the least risk as a guy of 6ft 9 he should have joined the WWE. He is British Champion, a legitmate threat to his status as champion has emerged, he should face him, boxing has survived over 100 years from fighters stepping up to challenges and fans demanding it of them not from fans worrying about if they can earn more for taking less of a risk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

Who is condoning it........we are just suggesting it's financially more sensible to avoid him!!!

I want to see it..just suggesting we won't see it...

Chill out!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

I think ducking Price will be bad for his career in many ways. Robs him of an opportunity to test himself/develop. Loses his titles. Damages his credibility. Gives the Price a clear path to overtake him. While I also think Price would win, I dont think it should be viewed as a foregone conculsion and at this point Fury has the better record so I dont think its reasonable for Fury to be looking to opt out of this just because it represents a challenge.

If he cant beat guys like Price, and he isnt even willing to ty, he will get absolutely nowhere in the sport. If hes lucky, the Klitschkos run out of opponents and hand him a destructive beating as his career highlight. Bt I think ditching his titles will hurt his chances of a fight with either Klitschko and even the general public will be wise to it if he goes from Domestic champ to nothing without valid explanation.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

This fight has to happen for me, although Chisora has went on to bigger and better things Fury hasn't, this fight makes sense.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:31 pm

How can it make sense???????

Two unbeaten fighters guaranteed huge paydays for world title fights...(three champions to aim for and the Klits are getting old)

Makes no sense..to risk your career for peanuts!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:35 pm

Because they will take a battering off the Klitschko's and Povetkin, although they should take what they feel is the best route to a title the challenge is staring them in the face, as has been mentioned Chisora's loss to Fury done him no harm at all.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

Neither fighter is garaunteed a fight with the Klitschkos in any event. Especially in the next 12 months. Its debatable if either camp even want a fight with the Klitschkos (Price certainly doesnt).

Why not go down the Groves/DeGale, Chisora/Fury or Murray/Mitchell route which has hardly ended the losers career. In fact in all three casesthe loser got a title shot straight after at either world/euro level honours as well.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

Neither of them are promoted by Frank Warren so the route the fighters you mentioned took isn't available to them.

This is a horrendous fight for Fury. Price clearly has the beating of him and he is the big name. Its a huge risk with little reward. Only a poor promoter would make this fight for Fury right now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

Carl Froch took that route with Hennessey and it seemed to work pretty well for him, I have to say the promoters of today have done a great job in swaying so called boxing fans.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Neither of them are promoted by Frank Warren so the route the fighters you mentioned took isn't available to them.

This is a horrendous fight for Fury. Price clearly has the beating of him and he is the big name. Its a huge risk with little reward. Only a poor promoter would make this fight for Fury right now.

If your a promoter that believes Fury is nothing more than a lamb to be slaughtered.

I dont believe his management do. I think they believe he is a good prospect and will look to develop him rather than throw him in with a Klitschko to get decimated at the first opportunity. I also think they have more faith in him and less faith in Price than most people on here. They wont be as afraid of the fight as everyone else is and I think Fury will fancy it himself.

If it was a choice between Price and Klitschko I think Furys team would choose Price. I think they view the Klitschkos as longer term. If Fury does ditch his titls. Then it had better be to make a step up to either Euro (Hellenius) or world level because the Klitschkos are not going to look at him seriously in 12 months time if he is an unranked fighter with no titles who has ditched his belts in order to fight journeymen. Especially if Price has been impressing in the meantime.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

I think this fight will happen.

One thing I admire about Fury is that he doesnt appear to be the sort of boxer who ducks his rivals. He's already taken on quite a few challenging fights in his short career. Given the fact he's also has had a few verbal digs at Price in the past, it would look cowardly if he ditches the belt to avoid fighting the man he's constantly teased.

Price would certainly take the fight. Fury is starting to get household name-recognition and Price's popularity would sky rocket if he beats him. It would also possibly lift Price status alongside the top HW fighters as Fury himself is highly ranked by boxrec.

Price should beat Fury inside 6 rounds. Unless Fury can iron out his defence, he'll find himself a sitting duck for Price's big right hand.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

So called boxing fans? Headscratch

Froch is different from Fury he was talented and had a great chin. Fury is an accident waiting to happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Just highlighting that not having Warren as a promoter can in fact benefit a fighters career, Hennessey and Maloney aren't stupid they're not going to throw there fighters in with a K Bro straight away.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

Yes you don't need Warren just go to Matchroom who I mentioned in the topic.

Do you think if Maloney was in charge of Fury he would be desperate to make this fight?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

Yes he would, he's never been the kind of promoter to mollycoddle his fighters.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm

No he wouldn't if he had the star (Fury) and Hennessey had the man who is very likely to spark his man out but has no real name (Price) he wouldn't make the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

What makes you say he wouldn't make the fight?

Sorry but I must have missed the bit where Fury was this big star.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm

Maybe he would but that sort of decision is probably the reason he is no longer one of the big promoters in Britain.

Fury is the most watched boxer in Britain. he has a name due to the fact he has a channel 5 contract. In this situation he is the star.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

Have to disagree with that, he's watched by more people than Khan, Haye and Froch but he's not on that level at all, the viewing figures don't really mean anything anymore.

In this situation they are both up and comers with neither bringing anything special to the table.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm

Out of curiosity what would you do then if you were promoting Fury?

You dodge Price and lose your titles and a fair bit of credibility in the process.

Then what? Look to fight journeyman for the next 12 months while systematically avoiding any real threat? Hope the Klitschkos offer you 15% of the purse for a routine defence and destroy your top prospect in the process?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

I never said he was on the level of the top British boxers but he draws bigger audiences than them. Fury brings a name and a huge audience with him Price brings nothing apart from a beating for Fury.

I have said numerous times I would like to see this fight but I don't think it will happen. Would you honestly be surprised if it never happened?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Out of curiosity what would you do then if you were promoting Fury?

You dodge Price and lose your titles and a fair bit of credibility in the process.

Then what? Look to fight journeyman for the next 12 months while systematically avoiding any real threat? Hope the Klitschkos offer you 15% of the purse for a routine defence and destroy your top prospect in the process?

I would ditch the British title. Just say your moving on to bigger and better things. The boxing fans won't buy it but the public will.

Fury is ranked 7th by the WBC the 6 ahead of him are Chris Arreola, Alexander Dimitrenko, Bermane Stiverne, Denis Boytsov, Johnathon Banks, Chauncy Welliver. None of these guys are as dangerous as Price. I would look to make a fight with one of these guys or the other guys in and around him fior a few more fights and get a Klitschko. Then you make the money and you might get lucky and catch them at the right time. If not then you lost to a great fighter get back up and go again.

Losing to Price now sets Fury back a lot more than losing to a Klitschko in 18 months time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next