The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

+17
djlovesyou
hampo17
Mind the windows Tino.
J.Benson II
The Galveston Giant
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
tcribb
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Valero's Conscience
TRUSSMAN66
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
AlexHuckerby
bhb001
Rowley
Mr Bounce
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen - Page 2 Empty Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

After David Price's 73 second wipe out of John McDermott he became the mandatory challenger for Tyson Furys British Heavyweight title.

Price looks a terrific prospect. His foot movement for a man of 6ft 8 and 17 and a half stone is excellent. He seems to have the power and picks his shots beautifully.

Fury on the other hand is the more famous of the 2 due to his contract with channel 5 where in his 3 fights so far has delivered on entertainment no doubt about that but it has also shown the flaws so many could see a year ago. The big traveller doesn't do boxing he comes to fight and is wild and wide open. He is getting floored by smaller men who aren't punchers which should be a real worry for his promoter Mick Hennessey.

This being said will Hennessey be interested in this fight? Fury looks made for Price. Tyson is heading out to New York to fight on the under card of the Martinez v Macklin bout against an unnamed opponent so a fight with the Big Scouser won't be in the mix until the summer.

If I was Big Mick I would do with the British strap what Riddick Bowe did all those years ago with his WBC heavyweight title and chuck it in the bin. Fury should have no part of Price. If he was promoted by Frank Warren or Matchroom you can guarantee this fight wouldn't happen.

Think of it as if you were Mick Hennessey would you make this fight? Fury is a big draw and could make a lot of money but Price could really set him back or worse.

Last edited by SugarRayRussell (PBK) on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Out of curiosity what would you do then if you were promoting Fury?

You dodge Price and lose your titles and a fair bit of credibility in the process.

Then what? Look to fight journeyman for the next 12 months while systematically avoiding any real threat? Hope the Klitschkos offer you 15% of the purse for a routine defence and destroy your top prospect in the process?

I would ditch the British title. Just say your moving on to bigger and better things. The boxing fans won't buy it but the public will.

Fury is ranked 7th by the WBC the 6 ahead of him are Chris Arreola, Alexander Dimitrenko, Bermane Stiverne, Denis Boytsov, Johnathon Banks, Chauncy Welliver. None of these guys are as dangerous as Price. I would look to make a fight with one of these guys or the other guys in and around him fior a few more fights and get a Klitschko. Then you make the money and you might get lucky and catch them at the right time. If not then you lost to a great fighter get back up and go again.

Losing to Price now sets Fury back a lot more than losing to a Klitschko in 18 months time.

I dont really agree. Price is certainly not proven to be more dangerous than most of those guys. Lets not get to carried away. Hes looked good but his opposition has been very poor.

If he ditches the titles, then he simply has to move on to bigger things. He has no alternative if hes to keep his credibility and ranking. But it becomes a moot point because if hes not good enough to beat Price then he wont be to beat any of the above guys in all probability. So you may aswell keep the titles and respect by fighting Price and treat at as a fight that will be good experience win or lose.

Your talking about protecting a prospect here but really its just throwing him in hopelessly overmatched for a small portion of a bigger purse. He might make a couple of hundred grand but once he takes his beating where he is and what does he do in the next 18 months waiting (hopefully!) for a Klitschko to come calling? He may aswell face Price if hes going to face the guys on your list and he cant spend the next 18 months fighting journeymen trying to keep out of harms way.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury v Price I'm not sure this will happen

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Out of curiosity what would you do then if you were promoting Fury?

You dodge Price and lose your titles and a fair bit of credibility in the process.

Then what? Look to fight journeyman for the next 12 months while systematically avoiding any real threat? Hope the Klitschkos offer you 15% of the purse for a routine defence and destroy your top prospect in the process?

I would ditch the British title. Just say your moving on to bigger and better things. The boxing fans won't buy it but the public will.

Fury is ranked 7th by the WBC the 6 ahead of him are Chris Arreola, Alexander Dimitrenko, Bermane Stiverne, Denis Boytsov, Johnathon Banks, Chauncy Welliver. None of these guys are as dangerous as Price. I would look to make a fight with one of these guys or the other guys in and around him fior a few more fights and get a Klitschko. Then you make the money and you might get lucky and catch them at the right time. If not then you lost to a great fighter get back up and go again.

Losing to Price now sets Fury back a lot more than losing to a Klitschko in 18 months time.

I dont really agree. Price is certainly not proven to be more dangerous than most of those guys. Lets not get to carried away. Hes looked good but his opposition has been very poor.

If he ditches the titles, then he simply has to move on to bigger things. He has no alternative if hes to keep his credibility and ranking. But it becomes a moot point because if hes not good enough to beat Price then he wont be to beat any of the above guys in all probability. So you may aswell keep the titles and respect by fighting Price and treat at as a fight that will be good experience win or lose.

Your talking about protecting a prospect here but really its just throwing him in hopelessly overmatched for a small portion of a bigger purse. He might make a couple of hundred grand but once he takes his beating where he is and what does he do in the next 18 months waiting (hopefully!) for a Klitschko to come calling? He may aswell face Price if hes going to face the guys on your list and he cant spend the next 18 months fighting journeymen trying to keep out of harms way.

Fighting Price is basically throwing away your World ranking for not a lot of money. I'm not convinced guys like Arreola would beat Fury they suit him. They can't out box him they come to fight and so does Fury. Price will pick him off and spark him out. If I was Hennessey I would milk the cash cow for as long as possible. Promoters invest time and money into fighters they need to get some return.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:48 pm

It's not a case of being proven to be more dangerous, despite fighting tin cans he's looked far more destructive than any british heavyweight since Lewis and has better skills than most of the top ranked guys around today. Would far rather face Dimitrenko or Arreola myself.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

Price has fought nobody. Knocking out McDermott in a round doesnt put him above world level operators for me. Hes still unproven and has much less experience. He hasnt even had a fight on Euro level yet. Im quietly optimistic but not going to get too carried away until his opposition gets tougher. How much of those other guys have you seen?

Its doesnt matter to me anyway. If Fury cant beat Price, he wont beat those others guys either. Whats the point in giving up your title to avoid Price in order to lose someone else?

Price is a risk, a big one, but Id give Fury as good a chance than anyone else on that list barring maybe Stiverne, Banks and havent seen any of Welliver so cant comment on him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:02 pm

I've seen Stiverne, Dimitrenko and Banks on a couple of occasions. I would class Arreola as the best of the lot but I've seen him more times Like you I've seen nothing of Welliver and was shocked to see his name so high up the rankings.

Losing to a top ranked fighter like any of those guys wouldn't damage Fury's ranking the way losing to Price would.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

Fighting Price is basically throwing away your World ranking for not a lot of money. I'm not convinced guys like Arreola would beat Fury they suit him. They can't out box him they come to fight and so does Fury. Price will pick him off and spark him out. If I was Hennessey I would milk the cash cow for as long as possible. Promoters invest time and money into fighters they need to get some return.

Well I think your overestimating Price somewhat. I mean you basically see him as a top 5/6/7 world heavyweight already if you rate him above all those guys which is pushing it massively for me.

I still dont really understand what your plan for Fury would be. You talk of milking him, but are saying he should be put in with Arreola (vaguely winnable but huge risk) or Klitschkos (0%chance). Thats not really milking. It sounds like you just want to cash him in ASAP and not look to develop him at all.

If hes targetting a Klitschko for 18 months either you look to try get him the experience needed to give him a chance which means stepping it up, or else you have him fight nobodies for 18 months hoping to keep the unbeaten record but sacrifice titles, experience and ranking points to do so which puts the fight in jeopardy.

And overall, I dont think a loss to Price is crippling for Fury on the current heavywight scene. It might set him back regarding a Klitschko fight but I dont think that should be the short term objective. A loss now can easily be forgotten about in 18-24 months time if you can lern from it and rebuild.

Maybe people will look at Fury and say the guys going nowhere no matter what so lets just throw him in, but the feeling I get is his management are treating him as more than a no hoper and will look to build steadily.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Well I think your overestimating Price somewhat. I mean you basically see him as a top 5/6/7 world heavyweight already if you rate him above all those guys which is pushing it massively for me.

I still dont really understand what your plan for Fury would be. You talk of milking him, but are saying he should be put in with Arreola (vaguely winnable but huge risk) or Klitschkos (0%chance). Thats not really milking. It sounds like you just want to cash him in ASAP and not look to develop him at all.

If hes targetting a Klitschko for 18 months either you look to try get him the experience needed to give him a chance which means stepping it up, or else you have him fight nobodies for 18 months hoping to keep the unbeaten record but sacrifice titles, experience and ranking points to do so which puts the fight in jeopardy.

And overall, I dont think a loss to Price is crippling for Fury on the current heavywight scene. It might set him back regarding a Klitschko fight but I dont think that should be the short term objective. A loss now can easily be forgotten about in 18-24 months time if you can lern from it and rebuild.

Maybe people will look at Fury and say the guys going nowhere no matter what so lets just throw him in, but the feeling I get is his management are treating him as more than a no hoper and will look to build steadily.

Fury isn't interesting in learning or improving. He keeps changing trainers and has stated he will not box. He comes to fight. Losing to a Klitschko isn't damaging in 18 months time. If he fights Price now he earns peanuts and gets beat setting him back quite a bit. Why do that when you can have 4-5 more fights against varied opponents but better matches for Fury and get a big pay day at the end of it. Losing to a K bro doesn't set him back at all.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm

Probably worth adding aswell that if he was looking at a Euro/World title fight in the near future (next 18 months) he would probably be allowed keep his domestic titles and force Price to wait. I think he has to fight Price before Oct/Nov this year but if he secured a title shot for later this year Im sure the BBBC would extend that timeframe for him until sometime next year.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

Fury might not be interested in improving or learning, which I think is debateable. But if given the rights fights and the right experience he is likely to improve with that experience. I think your selling him a little bit short saying hes basically at his peak now with no real prospects of getting better. Maybe he wont, but Id say the jury is out on it and I honestly believe his tougher fights with Chisora and McDermott have benefitted in this regard, as opposed to fighting binmen.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

Helenius has vacated the Euro title because of an injury. He will be out for about 6 months. That could be a real possibility for Fury.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

I wouldn't rate Price as the 6th best fighter in the world but think even at this early stage he has the beating of most in the division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:39 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I wouldn't rate Price as the 6th best fighter in the world but think even at this early stage he has the beating of most in the division.

I think its far too soon to say. Most of the top ranked guys in the division have impressive looking knockout wins similar to the McDermott one. If Price wasnt British I dont think he would be getting the same plaudits on here. Hes looked good but the opposition has been chronic so Im reserving judgement.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:43 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Helenius has vacated the Euro title because of an injury. He will be out for about 6 months. That could be a real possibility for Fury.

If thats the case then this would be a fight to push for naturally. But if he was selected to fight for the vacant strap he probably wouldnt have to give up his British titles. So win or lose he would still face having Price as a mandatory.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Helenius has vacated the Euro title because of an injury. He will be out for about 6 months. That could be a real possibility for Fury.

If thats the case then this would be a fight to push for naturally. But if he was selected to fight for the vacant strap he probably wouldnt have to give up his British titles. So win or lose he would still face having Price as a mandatory.

Dimitrenko was supposed to be Helenius's mandatory so he may fight for the vacant strap. There is a rumour he is being lined up for the winner of Povetkin vs Huck. So he might not fancy risking that for a Euro belt.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

Dimitrenko was supposed to be Helenius's mandatory so he may fight for the vacant strap. There is a rumour he is being lined up for the winner of Povetkin vs Huck. So he might not fancy risking that for a Euro belt.

Looking at the rankings there, Dmitrenko is mandatory. Fury is placed at 3 with Pulev and Boytsov above him who are both top 10 ranked with the Ring I think. Chisora is at number 4 and given how he was robbed and that Warren might have a bit of a clout we could well see him up again. A Chisora v Fury rematch with all the titles on the line would be interesting!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:44 am

manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Looking at the rankings there, Dmitrenko is mandatory. Fury is placed at 3 with Pulev and Boytsov above him who are both top 10 ranked with the Ring I think. Chisora is at number 4 and given how he was robbed and that Warren might have a bit of a clout we could well see him up again. A Chisora v Fury rematch with all the titles on the line would be interesting!

I thought Fury was harshly treated after the Chisora fight. All the talk was about how Chisora was out of shape (he's never in good shape any way) and not up for it because the 2 fights with Wlad had fell through. Fury was good that night he took some good shots off a puncher and boxed well at times.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:12 am

The majority of the opinion seems to be that Fury would have little or no chance, which is exactly what everyone said (including me) before the Chisora fight. Regardless of Chisora's conditioning, Fury fought a good fight that night and currently doesn't know how to lose. I reckon he has a decent chance against anyone in the world at the moment except the K brothers and Povetkin. This isn't to say he would beat them all, but it wouldn't be a mismatch ala Haye and Harrison. Good luck to the lad, I say. Let him make his money when he can and hopefully continue to give us exciting if not technically memorable matches on a TV station we can all watch.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:21 am

bhb001 wrote:The majority of the opinion seems to be that Fury would have little or no chance, which is exactly what everyone said (including me) before the Chisora fight. Regardless of Chisora's conditioning, Fury fought a good fight that night and currently doesn't know how to lose. I reckon he has a decent chance against anyone in the world at the moment except the K brothers and Povetkin. This isn't to say he would beat them all, but it wouldn't be a mismatch ala Haye and Harrison. Good luck to the lad, I say. Let him make his money when he can and hopefully continue to give us exciting if not technically memorable matches on a TV station we can all watch.

Well said. For the record, I think Price would beat Fury but Tyson seems to be set up as some sort of meek lamb to the slaughter, and Price will simply have to turn up to despatch him. Yes, Fury has suspect technique and doesn't always look in the greatest of shape but he has got the job done so far, and the Chisora win is better than anything Price has on his record. He has the knowledge that he can get through a tough fight and win.

There is so much hyperbole around Price following his recent blowouts and the fact he is British, but lets not get too carried away, he is still a work in progress and some of the suggestions of how good he is right now are way over the top. Fury is a big guy and won't be intimidated by Price, that is for sure. You could argue that his bravado would be his downfall, but in a fight of this relative magnitude, I would like to think Fury would be a little more circumspect in his approach.

Price wins, but Fury is not a complete no-hoper.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Vowels are great)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:54 am

alma wrote:I'd just like to see it happen. Too many fights get talked about and never happen. It kills boxing to be honest.

There it is alma, I was wondering what the problem is. You're a pugilistic philosopher if ever I saw one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

alma wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
alma wrote:I'd just like to see it happen. Too many fights get talked about and never happen. It kills boxing to be honest.

There it is alma, I was wondering what the problem is. You're a pugilistic philosopher if ever I saw one.

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not. Too much being forced to watch Cars/Waybuloo is killing my brain to be fair. I'm sure you can empathise Tina. If I was discussing the merits of Lightning McQueen I might be more erudite.

I always find Lightning McQueen a bit on the dull side. Tow Mater makes those films great.

Fillmore: 'he won 4 Piston Cups, you know'

Tow Mater: 'he did what in his cup?'

Classic.

Loving the use of 'erudite' though, alma. Good work.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

alma wrote:I wonder how many people get why Fillmore is called that. I like when he plays the discordant Hendrix Star Spangled Banner theme and has an argument with whatever his neighbour is called.

Sarge: "Will you turn that disrespectful junk off?!"
Fillmore: "Respect the classics, man. It's Hendrix!"

Anyway, better stay on topic. Sorry Union.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

bhb001 wrote:The majority of the opinion seems to be that Fury would have little or no chance, which is exactly what everyone said (including me) before the Chisora fight. Regardless of Chisora's conditioning, Fury fought a good fight that night and currently doesn't know how to lose. I reckon he has a decent chance against anyone in the world at the moment except the K brothers and Povetkin. This isn't to say he would beat them all, but it wouldn't be a mismatch ala Haye and Harrison. Good luck to the lad, I say. Let him make his money when he can and hopefully continue to give us exciting if not technically memorable matches on a TV station we can all watch.

Well said. For the record, I think Price would beat Fury but Tyson seems to be set up as some sort of meek lamb to the slaughter, and Price will simply have to turn up to despatch him. Yes, Fury has suspect technique and doesn't always look in the greatest of shape but he has got the job done so far, and the Chisora win is better than anything Price has on his record. He has the knowledge that he can get through a tough fight and win.

There is so much hyperbole around Price following his recent blowouts and the fact he is British, but lets not get too carried away, he is still a work in progress and some of the suggestions of how good he is right now are way over the top. Fury is a big guy and won't be intimidated by Price, that is for sure. You could argue that his bravado would be his downfall, but in a fight of this relative magnitude, I would like to think Fury would be a little more circumspect in his approach.

Price wins, but Fury is not a complete no-hoper.

Exactly how I see it too.

You would think by reading some of these comments that Fury would be going into a fight with Price as nothing more than cannon fodder. I think he'll most probably lose but he'll be a live underdog. For all his flaws, he has shown some qualities that Price is yet to be tested on (such as fighting through adversity). Fury has also fought the better opposition and gave Price a tough fight as an amateur (which will give him some confidence of winning).

I like Price and rate him highly. However, the hype now surrounding him is OTT. You just have to read a few of the previous comments to see that (ie. the most destructive British HW since Lewis). Lets be honest, a prime Herbie Hide would have blown a +270lb McDermott and an awful Dallas away in under a round too.

David Haye sparred with Price during his preparation for the Klitschko fight and most reports suggest that Haye handled Price with relative ease. Given how comfortably Wlad than handled Haye, it gives you an idea of how far Price still has to go before he gets anyway near that level.

Price Vs Fury is a good match-up. Not a mis-match.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

alma wrote:I wonder how many people get why Fillmore is called that. I like when he plays the discordant Hendrix Star Spangled Banner theme and has an argument with whatever his neighbour is called.

Sarge: "Will you turn that disrespectful junk off?!"
Fillmore: "Respect the classics, man. It's Hendrix!"

Anyway, better stay on topic. Sorry Union.

My son is addicted to Cars, cost me a fortune over the years.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:16 am

According the Liverpool Echo Fury is going to vacate.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

alma wrote:Good point. If Fury gets in great shape it could make things a lot more interesting, but every time he fights we are told "he's in the shape of his life" and he still looks like a beached whale (with no offence meant to our piscine friends)

Now that would be adding insult to injury.

Going up to a beached whale and telling him he looks like Tyson Fury. As if he didn't already have enough to upset about given the lack of water.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Fury doesn't need Price. Fury is a name and Price isn't. Fury is World ranked and a couple of bums away from a World title shot. Why risk that for a British title defence he looks pretty certain to lose.

And do what? If he cant beat Price he isnt going to get much farther anyway. Unless he gets a Euro shot or opts to have his head caved in by a Klitschko I dont really see the benefit of throwing away the titles he has will have on his career. Price is the kind of opponent he needs to be able to beat if he want to advance properly. If he wants to lose credibility by ducking Price and fight trash in the meantime the so be it but I dont see how it advances his career. Price will most likely just outstrip him in that event anyhow. I dont think a loss sets his carrer back badly either. Chisora has got back to back Euro and world shots on losses. Fury needs proper tests like Price to either advance as a fighter or show him where hes going wrong.

But Price beats him for what about £50k. He beats a couple of bums for similar money and then gets a shot at a Klitschko and makes good money. Why risk it Price will batter him.

It's a fight I want tot see but I don't think we will because of the reasons I've gave.

To me thats like throwing in the towel on your career. I would hope someone in Furys position would actually look to develop and improve as a fighter and try give himself the best possible chance in a world title shot rather than rush into a fight he is woefully outmatched in.

The Klitschkos are not going anywhere. Even if they do it just makes getting a world title that much easier. So why rush in would be my take. Look to develop your career and your skills. If you start ducking at domestic level then your done for really and will never hope to improve properly.

Unless he can garauntee a tite shot very soon either then Price will simply overtake him anyway and Furys credibility for lining up bums and ditching his title will be badly damaged.

i agree. many are forgetting that fury thinks he would beat price. if he wants to be the proud fighting champ he claims to be, he'll take on price.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

hampo171 wrote:According the Liverpool Echo Fury is going to vacate.

Funny being that Price is Scouse they are obviously going to big their man up. Think there are far too many comments on here suggesting Fury would be ducking Prce when to be fair he hasn't turned down a challenge yet. I think a fair few of you will be suprised, this fight is very possible in my view. Price wants to prove himself and Fury has a growing reputation of someone who will not duck anyone and goes for a fight, coupled with a close amatuer contest why should either fighter not think they have a good shout in this? I do however see Price winning this i think its foolish to right Fury off completely.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:45 pm

hampo171 wrote:According the Liverpool Echo Fury is going to vacate.

Funny being that Price is Scouse they are obviously going to big their man up. Think there are far too many comments on here suggesting Fury would be ducking Prce when to be fair he hasn't turned down a challenge yet. I think a fair few of you will be suprised, this fight is very possible in my view. Price wants to prove himself and Fury has a growing reputation of someone who will not duck anyone and goes for a fight, coupled with a close amatuer contest why should either fighter not think they have a good shout in this? I do however see Price winning this i think its foolish to right Fury off completely.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Fury doesn't need Price. Fury is a name and Price isn't. Fury is World ranked and a couple of bums away from a World title shot. Why risk that for a British title defence he looks pretty certain to lose.

And do what? If he cant beat Price he isnt going to get much farther anyway. Unless he gets a Euro shot or opts to have his head caved in by a Klitschko I dont really see the benefit of throwing away the titles he has will have on his career. Price is the kind of opponent he needs to be able to beat if he want to advance properly. If he wants to lose credibility by ducking Price and fight trash in the meantime the so be it but I dont see how it advances his career. Price will most likely just outstrip him in that event anyhow. I dont think a loss sets his carrer back badly either. Chisora has got back to back Euro and world shots on losses. Fury needs proper tests like Price to either advance as a fighter or show him where hes going wrong.

But Price beats him for what about £50k. He beats a couple of bums for similar money and then gets a shot at a Klitschko and makes good money. Why risk it Price will batter him.

It's a fight I want tot see but I don't think we will because of the reasons I've gave.

To me thats like throwing in the towel on your career. I would hope someone in Furys position would actually look to develop and improve as a fighter and try give himself the best possible chance in a world title shot rather than rush into a fight he is woefully outmatched in.

The Klitschkos are not going anywhere. Even if they do it just makes getting a world title that much easier. So why rush in would be my take. Look to develop your career and your skills. If you start ducking at domestic level then your done for really and will never hope to improve properly.

Unless he can garauntee a tite shot very soon either then Price will simply overtake him anyway and Furys credibility for lining up bums and ditching his title will be badly damaged.

Fury isn't looking to improve he is looking to make money. He has stated many times that he won't change his style he will go in and fight and if he gets knocked out then so be it. Furys credibility will be shot amongst real fans like us but amongst the general public who actually matter they won't care. He's entertaining and even if he ducks Price he will still entertain and pull massive viewing figures on channel 5 which will always put him in a better position than price to challenge for World honours.

What are you on about he's in it to make money??????????? That is the opposite. His promoter might be in it for the money but Tyson has always correctly said no-one remembers how much money you make but what you achieve. Fury knows he can beat Price so why would he throw away all his morals????

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:47 pm

but I think its foolish *

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Fury isn't looking to improve he is looking to make money. He has stated many times that he won't change his style he will go in and fight and if he gets knocked out then so be it. Furys credibility will be shot amongst real fans like us but amongst the general public who actually matter they won't care. He's entertaining and even if he ducks Price he will still entertain and pull massive viewing figures on channel 5 which will always put him in a better position than price to challenge for World honours.

What are you on about he's in it to make money??????????? That is the opposite. His promoter might be in it for the money but Tyson has always correctly said no-one remembers how much money you make but what you achieve. Fury knows he can beat Price so why would he throw away all his morals????

When was the last time you heard a Fury interview? He talks about making money and how it's a business and will fight people when it makes business sense for the fights to happen. So he should as well it's not a long career he should try and make as much as possible and get out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

Long gone are the days that fans want to see the best possible fights then, too much emphasise is placed on money making now.

We want to see the best fights surely?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

I want to see the best fights and have never said I don't want this fight to happen. I have said from the start I don't think it will and gave the reasons for that which you seem to think are me saying I don't want this fight.

Of course Fury should be interested in money this is his job.

I reckon Fury would fight Price he's a man who likes to fight and I couldn't imagine him shying away from a fight. This is where a promoters job is so important. There is no real need for Fury to take this fight there is a way around it that moves him forward for the same money with less risk.

Not many fighters would take this fight in Fury's position and no good promoter would.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:It's not a case of being proven to be more dangerous, despite fighting tin cans he's looked far more destructive than any british heavyweight since Lewis and has better skills than most of the top ranked guys around today. Would far rather face Dimitrenko or Arreola myself.

I think thats overrating Price pretty massively. His opposition is just too poor to get an idea of where he is at in terms of world level. There are plenty of guys around like Seth Mitchell, Denis Boytsov, Kubrat Pulev etc that are at a more developed stage respectively and have better and more impressive wins/performances on their ledger.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

He should just fight Price, he is never going to be a top heavy the rate he is going anyway, so fight Price in a big domestic fight, if he wins, people like me shut up. If he loses then he loses, but then again he is prob just going to hang on for a Klit and a 100k payday before retirement.

But if your Hennesey, you lick lollipops until your cheeks turn red

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:He should just fight Price, he is never going to be a top heavy the rate he is going anyway, so fight Price in a big domestic fight, if he wins, people like me shut up. If he loses then he loses, but then again he is prob just going to hang on for a Klit and a 100k payday before retirement.

But if your Hennesey, you lick lollipops until your cheeks turn red

I agree. The only reason to avoid Price would be to move up to world/euro level. But I dont think hes ready for that. Price looks good and on potential Id back him to beat Fury (though not as convinced as most) but I think its the kind of fight both fighters need now to gauge where they are at. I dont think a loss is too damaging to either fighter at this stage either. I dont think Fury is looking for a world title fight at the moment though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:37 pm

Lots of people picking Price to do the job on Fury

Im not so sure. Would love to see the matchup either way

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:It's not a case of being proven to be more dangerous, despite fighting tin cans he's looked far more destructive than any british heavyweight since Lewis and has better skills than most of the top ranked guys around today. Would far rather face Dimitrenko or Arreola myself.

I think thats overrating Price pretty massively. His opposition is just too poor to get an idea of where he is at in terms of world level. There are plenty of guys around like Seth Mitchell, Denis Boytsov, Kubrat Pulev etc that are at a more developed stage respectively and have better and more impressive wins/performances on their ledger.

Price beats them all, record aside he looks a far better fighter and prospect than anyone else in the division, not so much over rating him but highlighting the shocking standard of the heavyweights in general.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Price beats them all, record aside he looks a far better fighter and prospect than anyone else in the division, not so much over rating him but highlighting the shocking standard of the heavyweights in general.

How much of the rest of the division do people watch? Mitchells 2 round KO of Timur Ibragimov - a guy who hasd mixed it at world level and never been stopped before was far more impressive to me than anything Price has done for example. Boystsov isnt a hard hitter but is very fast and mobile for a heavyweight. As bad as the division is I would struggle to put a 10 fight guy like Price whos best win is over McDermott as having the beating of all but 5/6 guys in the division. He got decent coverage over here in Britain but there are other guys out there that dont get a mention who are probably equally as deserving as Price as things stand now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

Like I said Manos ignoring records which don't give any sort of indication I think Price beats them all.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

Price hasnt even fought the best at domestic level yet.
There are far too many question marks that need to be answered before we start placing him on such a pedestal.
Yes, he looks very promising and we know his strengths, but we've yet to see how he deals with a stronger opponent, reacts under pressure or copes through adversity.
The hype he's getting seems to be based on his nationality as much as his talent.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2