The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray

+32
sportslover
ChequeredJersey
carrieg4
liverbnz
eirebilly
Henman Bill
Union Cane
barrystar
dummy_half
luciusmann
Jahu
lydian
Tom_____
davidl1061
daraghj82
droogle
Adam D
gallery play
prostaff85
legendkillar
Tenez
erictheblueuk
JuliusHMarx
LuvSports!
bogbrush
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
Simple_Analyst
HM Murdock
socal1976
break_in_the_fifth
CaledonianCraig
36 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray - Page 10 Empty Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:25 am

First topic message reminder :

All set for the off. I hope it is a great match and best of luck Andy.

Discuss....
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray - Page 10 Empty Re: Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

Anyone got the latest score in the 5th set. Lost stream and BBC is so slow with the updates.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray - Page 10 Empty Re: Semi-Final Thread - Djokovic V Murray

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

gsm

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

It's done.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

Game over for the plucky Scot.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

Ah, bollox

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Murray Crying or Very sad

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Djokovic wins king clap

Almost, but not enough. Yogi Lendl now needs to work on Murrays service game.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Hopefully Djokovic can be ready for Sunday.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

i luv this sport

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

well, that is my least favourite matchup in the top 4, though it's been a while since I saw Murray v Nadal

what's with the slow-mo moth?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:38 pm

So its over?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Oh minions, what had been foretold has come to pass

I am the emancipatoooooooooooor

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

That's all down to experience for me. Djoko's been in those situations many times before, it's the first time for Murray.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Union Cane wrote:Nadal's title though, whoever wins here is going to be knazzed.
Djokovic will probably win comfortably.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Congratulations Djokovic clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Ben Dirs on the BBC is so painfully slow with updates Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

eirebilly wrote:So its over?

Yep, 7-5 in the fifth.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

There's a thread on the fact that if Nadal loses now he may as well call it a day.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

Djokovic now needs to get himself inside that egg chamber!

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

Well played to both of them. I hope Murray can go on to much better things from here.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

Great effort by Murray, much better than I expected.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Djokovic is apologising for all the running along the baseline. ...

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

carrieg4 wrote:

Yep, 7-5 in the fifth.

Thanks mate, i started to believe that Andy may just pull it out when he broke back in the 5th Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

barrystar wrote:That's all down to experience for me. Djoko's been in those situations many times before, it's the first time for Murray.

nah c'mon they've been playing each other since they were children, that's no excuse

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:I think Novak's tiredness is just an act wheras Murray's tiredness looks genuine, cause of this I'm expecting Novak to run away with these last 2 sets.

clap Novak
clap Murray
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

seriously what is with Rusedski's face

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:44 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Well played to both of them. I hope Murray can go on to much better things from here.
This performance is already a feather in his career cap. Hopefully this type of performance will become the norm from now on - with some improvement on his serve, and perhaps some improvement in his court and match awareness (he wasted his Hawkeye challenges).

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

I think as he stays on the baseline, his forehand can only get better as well.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

Murray came close, very close, well done to him.

What this means is that Djokovic has know got one finger on the trophy, the question is if Rafa can do what Murray did and push him to 5 sets!

Glad Djokovic won, I was worried my prediction of a Rafa vs Djoko final was going to be wrong...but after Wimbledon, I never really doubted it!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:48 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:
erictheblueuk wrote:I think Novak's tiredness is just an act wheras Murray's tiredness looks genuine, cause of this I'm expecting Novak to run away with these last 2 sets.

clap Novak
clap Murray

Well Djokovic didn't run away with the last set, and that will be important for when they next meet up. It will be interesting to see how Lendl prepares Murray for the clay (and I hope this Murray - Lendl partnership continues).

It has been argued that when Murray fired his coach Miles MccLagen, and didn't appoint a replacement coach (until now with Lendl), he "wasted" 18 months of his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

Now I only correctly predicted one of the finalists Sad

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

eirebilly wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:

Yep, 7-5 in the fifth.

Thanks mate, i started to believe that Andy may just pull it out when he broke back in the 5th Sad

Me too Sad

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:51 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
erictheblueuk wrote:

clap Novak
clap Murray

Well Djokovic didn't run away with the last set, and that will be important for when they next meet up. It will be interesting to see how Lendl prepares Murray for the clay (and I hope this Murray - Lendl partnership continues).

It has been argued that when Murray fired his coach Miles MccLagen, and didn't appoint a replacement coach (until now with Lendl), he "wasted" 18 months of his career.

That's probably quite valid actually.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

Fantastic match, great defense by both players and for a while there I thought Murray might win, which I do not usually do. I used to think that Murray might not be "there" mentally to win a major, but on that (admittedly losing) display, I'm now convinced he will
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

Remarkable match truely an epic and wonderful advertising for the modern game. Had a little bit of everything it took the two guys about a set and half to really get the flow. But the large amount of errors is expected when the two best returners in the game, and two of the best retrievers play each other on a very slow hardcourt.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

That's the first time I've thought Murray looked like the real deal, that at times he'd relaxed into the fierce rhythm of the match and could trust his groundstrokes. The forehand looked more relaxed and assured than I've seen it.
That must be the best training session he's ever had and ought to take from it that he can win a slam.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

Great match and thanks to both players they both gave a 100%+

As socal says a great advert for the game.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightbreeze Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

I was impressed by Murray, for the first time he looked like a grand slam event winner in that he made some extraordinary plays.
The only way I think he could improve on todays performance is to lose some of that muscle, it's just too much weight to carry around.

Lightbreeze

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

Congrats to murray really deserves the accolades even in defeat. His forehand looked fierce for most of the match. If he hits it that well and aggressively from the forehand wing the whole season I think he will get his grandslam this year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

Andy played so well! But it all came down to 3 wasted break points that could have seen him serve out the match, I think that will really upset him. Credit to djokovic, he showed a bit more composure, but overall I think both players were very even! Andy's closed the gap again between him and djokovic so i think its only a matter of time now before he gets a grandslam.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

socal1976 wrote:Remarkable match truely an epic and wonderful advertising for the modern game. Had a little bit of everything it took the two guys about a set and half to really get the flow. But the large amount of errors is expected when the two best returners in the game, and two of the best retrievers play each other on a very slow hardcourt.

wow we have very different tastes socal. glad you enjoyed this sort of "tennis" - you're likely to see a lot of it for the next decade or so.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

bsando wrote:Andy played so well! But it all came down to 3 wasted break points that could have seen him serve out the match, I think that will really upset him. Credit to djokovic, he showed a bit more composure, but overall I think both players were very even! Andy's closed the gap again between him and djokovic so i think its only a matter of time now before he gets a grandslam.

If Djokovic was carrying an injury rather than carrying the "injury", then Murray would have won that match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

reckoner wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Remarkable match truely an epic and wonderful advertising for the modern game. Had a little bit of everything it took the two guys about a set and half to really get the flow. But the large amount of errors is expected when the two best returners in the game, and two of the best retrievers play each other on a very slow hardcourt.

wow we have very different tastes socal. glad you enjoyed this sort of "tennis" - you're likely to see a lot of it for the next decade or so.
As I say I envision the day of the endless baseline retrieval match, when deep furrows are created along the baseline, with the girlfriend rule being invoked after 5 days of play.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Reckoner Nore Saat judge by the cheers from the fans and the standing ovation I am not the only one. There were plenty of great shots, great defense, and some net forays and aces as well. Nothing, nothing I find duller than watching an ace contest where the first to 40 aces wins. If that is the kind of tennis you like to watch I suggest starting an Ivo karlovic fan club and following him around as he plays in obscure indoor events in eastern europe.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

to all Murray fans which must feel gutted now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A39093816

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

Yeah Socal because those are the 2 choices Rolling Eyes

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Yeah Socal because those are the 2 choices Rolling Eyes

heh yeah socal, there's more to it than that.. oh well

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:Reckoner Nore Saat judge by the cheers from the fans and the standing ovation I am not the only one. There were plenty of great shots, great defense, and some net forays and aces as well. Nothing, nothing I find duller than watching an ace contest where the first to 40 aces wins. If that is the kind of tennis you like to watch I suggest starting an Ivo karlovic fan club and following him around as he plays in obscure indoor events in eastern europe.
Hi Socal, we are talking of having a balance - between serve-volley slug fests, and endless rallies. The Djokovic - Murray match was a long drawn out drama, with many acts, following a similar plan. But you can see the direction where the modern game is going, longer and longer rallies, longer and longer breathers to maintain the intensity of each rally.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:33 pm

Like i said it is about finding a balance but if I had to choose between the tennis of the late 90s and the tennis today I would take today's tennis every single day and twice on sunday. With the modern racquets and bigger athletes maybe we need the somewhat slower conditions because with the same conditions of 10 or 20 years ago we might get a tour filled with Ivo Karlovic's. If there are to be any changes I would want them to be minor at most. I like today's tennis, sorry, like most fans I like lengthy rallies and both players tonight still hit some great winners. But both guys are great returners, and great defenders playing on a slow court so of course most of the points are going to end in errors.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:36 pm

Lol you seem more scared of Ivo than someone preparing for a return game against him. When has he ever looked close to dominating anything?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next