The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is your favourite fighter of all time

+18
aja424
azania
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
bhb001
Valero's Conscience
eddyfightfan
GeoffSnapes
Sir. badgerhands
Rowley
bellchees
coxy0001
Imperial Ghosty
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
The Galveston Giant
licence_007
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is your favourite fighter of all time Empty Who is your favourite fighter of all time

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 20 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm

It's a topic me and a few of my mates were discussing the other night. It's not who you think is the best but who was your favourite. I went for floyd Mayweather in the end I'm only 25 and found it hard to pick someone I never watched live, you don't get the excitement of the fight.
Mayweather was the best I've ever watched so good defencively and his hands were so quick. People may say he picked and chose his fighters but he has outclassed top 10 contenders for years and has never been pushed to his limit.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Who is your favourite fighter of all time Empty Re: Who is your favourite fighter of all time

Post by licence_007 Sun 20 Mar 2011, 7:27 pm

It's a pretty hard choice for me to make. ODLH and Roberto Duran are both up there. I'd say Lennox Lewis and Amir Khan are in with shouts as well.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Who is your favourite fighter of all time Empty Re: Who is your favourite fighter of all time

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

Very suprised about Khan just because he hasn't had a career of top fights yet but think in 5 or 6 years he will be right up their for me as well
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:21 pm

Unfortunately i can't pin down any one fighter as my favourite, will be good to see how many people have one, i probably have about 10 - 15 fighters i can't separate.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I see dead people)
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:26 pm

I have a lot of fighters I like as well. Probably a list of about 20 it's just that Mayweather stands out as my absolute favourite
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:38 pm

Ali and Hearns are at the top for me. Ali is the reason I got interested in boxing and Hearns is a guy with class. Froch is my favourite current fighter but the way he whined after he lost to Kessler? He shouldve taken a leaf out of the book of Hearns. I beieve he was genuinely robbed in the second Leonard fight but he was so cool about it, never moaned about the decision just carried on with life.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 20 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

I still find this a basically impossible task. Frank Bruno was my first boxing hero back in the days when I first discovered the sport as a six year old, so he'd be up there. On top of that, there's other Heavyweights such as Ali and Dempsey, and then down the scale some of my other favourties include Benny Leonard, Barney Ross, Alexis Arguello, 'Barbados' Joe Walcott, Bobby Chacon, Victor Galindez, Matthew Saad Muhammad, Eder Jofre, Roberto Duran and Oscar De la Hoya.

Right now if I had to pick, I'd go with Benny Leonard and Barney Ross, but it changes basically every day.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Mar 2011, 9:02 pm

Too many to mention

Moore, Charles, Marciano, Chavez, Duran, Hamed, Fitzsimmons, Armstrong, Jofre etc.

Leaning towards Moore nowadays but on another day would choose Duran

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 20 Mar 2011, 9:19 pm

Please don't tell me Shantel has turned up again (username may give it away)

Favourite fighter? Ask me in 30 mins and i'd give you a different answer, but i still love Eubank. HATED him for many years but by the time he went life and death with the massively bigger Thomson i'd found a lot of respect for the guy.

In terms of shear excitement Gatti takes it by a mile though. Every fight of his seemed to be a FOTY contender, sadly people get lost in the Ward trilogy but arguably one of his finest fights was when behind, fighting near blind against Rueles and then found a punch from knowhere after shipping his usual amount of punishment

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:05 pm

Gatti for me. I bought his career box set and there are so many good fights on there its crazy. His fight against Rodriguez being my person favourite but as Coxy said there must be 10 FOTY candidates.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

Of the modern era my favourite is Erik Morales, willing to fight anyone and rarely in a bad fight. Admire Floyd's ability but he is a moob outside the ring and also does not fight anywhere near often enough for my liking.

Of the old timers which I tend to prefer my favourites are Burley, Langford and McLarnin, also have a soft spot for Fitz

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

Nigel Benn for me but not by much. Can interchange with many others I've enjoyed over the years.

Out of the current crop I really enjoy watching Manny and Floyd.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:33 am

Pacquaio - never a boring fight, even when one sided

Fitness challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:46 am

can't name a favourite- although much respect to the eubank, watson, benn era of boxing, such intense fights a highspot in the history of boxing for me.

always liked ali, foreman, liston etc all the old time boxers as well

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 21 Mar 2011, 12:22 pm

It's very hard as I only got massively into boxing 3 years ago and as someone said, hard to have a real connection with past fighters you never saw live so going from current fighters I would have to say Juan Manuel Marquez.

He's class to watch, great skill, ability and heart, albeit if i watched him from the start of his career I would probably have a different opinion.

I could imagine being a huge Benn, Hearns, Tyson, Chavez and Duran fan during when they were active (still a fan now but haven't got that bond).

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 12:28 pm

Hagler. Hard as nails and a brilliant boxer. The only dull fight was his last with Leonard

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

Juan Manuel Marquez, although i'm a younger boxing fan....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:16 pm

Don Curry
Larry Holmes
Livingstone Bramble
Floyd Mayweather
Marlon Starling
Vinny Pazienza....................All favourites of mine..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

Ali, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Larry Holmes, Tyson

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don Curry
Larry Holmes
Livingstone Bramble
Floyd Mayweather
Marlon Starling

Bramble was a nut. Didn't he turn Rasta at one stage. Ras-I-Aluja or something like that.

As for Vinny Paz, the least said about him the better. Classic physique of someone juicing. He looked more like a WWF 'wrestler' after his injury.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

azania wrote:
Larry Holmes
Livingstone Bramble
Floyd Mayweather
Marlon Starling

Bramble was a nut. Didn't he turn Rasta at one stage. Ras-I-Aluja or something like that.

As for Vinny Paz, the least said about him the better. Classic physique of someone juicing. He looked more like a WWF 'wrestler' after his injury.

Do think its time you stopped accusing people of juicing without proof to be honest

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

imperialghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Larry Holmes
Livingstone Bramble
Floyd Mayweather
Marlon Starling

Do think its time you stopped accusing people of juicing without proof to be honest

I am near on certain he was on something. A JWW stacking up to a muscle bound SMW and looking like a WWF wrestler is highly sus imo. Take a look at some pics of him. The muscle definition, the groups, the shoulders and back muscles are all indications to me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm

Have any proof?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm

azania wrote:
imperialghosty wrote:
azania wrote:
Larry Holmes
Livingstone Bramble
Floyd Mayweather
Marlon Starling

I am near on certain he was on something. A JWW stacking up to a muscle bound SMW and looking like a WWF wrestler is highly sus imo. Take a look at some pics of him. The muscle definition, the groups, the shoulders and back muscles are all indications to me. Moreover, I didn't accuse him of juicing. I gave an opinion. A strong legal difference.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Have any proof?

I've been around athletes, mainly sprinters, for a long time. I can give you a long list of sprinters who I know and am 100% certain have been juicing (English, Welsh, Canadian, American and Caribbean). Some have been caught and some have got away with it. I can tell by their behaviour and importantly by the changes in body type and muscle structure.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm

So your basing your libellous opinion on purely aesthetics then, that isn't proof

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm

imperialghosty wrote:So your basing your libellous opinion on purely aesthetics then, that isn't proof

It would be libellous if I claimed he was juicing. I didn't. Read what I said. I deliberately did not say he was juicing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:57 pm

Either way your accusing someone without proof

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:01 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Either way your accusing someone without proof

I haven't accused anyone. I gave an opinion.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:14 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:Very suprised about Khan just because he hasn't had a career of top fights yet but think in 5 or 6 years he will be right up their for me as well

I'm not sure why, but there's something I just like about him. Especially after the Prescott fight. Feel like it done him the world of good.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 22 Mar 2011, 10:40 am

i've always been a massive fan of khan since i saw him in the olympics and he avenged his lose to kindelan before turning pro

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:29 am

I'm a massive Khan fan as well just suprised he was mentioned on this post at this early stage of his career.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:05 am

I was growing up in the Tyson era and can just about remember the build up to the fights with Bruno, must of only been about 10-12 at the time but there was something about him that made me a boxing fan from then onwards. But nowadays I follow Frochs career, he talks a lot but have met him regularly in the gym and hes a sound lad. His hardest fight of his career so far is arguably Pascal(or probably Kessler), and he is adament that he will give him a rematch, just shows that hes got bottle. Other boxers with better skills than him(certainly defence) but to me Froch is my favourite present day boxer.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

Thomas Hearns,
Barry McGuigan,
Evander Holyfield,
Herol Graham,
Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooono,
Marvin Hagler,
Roberton Duran

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by khantdrive Wed 23 Mar 2011, 7:56 pm

My first favourite was Ali. Later on I was a big fan of Leonard, Herol Graham, Lewis, Benn and RJJ. Nowadays I like Khan, Manny Pac and Froch.

khantdrive

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 23 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

prince naz is deserved of a mention

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

Ali, Hearns and Hagler. I was torn when Marvin fought Hearns. Gutted when SRL (git) beat Hearns. I'll add Duran also. Modern times, easilt RJJ and Floyd. Chavez and Azumah also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

For a moderator it's pretty poor form slandering a guy you know nothing about..

Pazienza went from 135 to 160 by lifting weights...No big deal when I started training I went from 12 st to 13 st 7 after a year....

He had a bad career threatening crash and ballooned to 170 whilst recovering..lifting weights was part of the recovery..

You'd know this if you looked him up..

You really should watch what you say...because you are out of order.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:For a moderator it's pretty poor form slandering a guy you know nothing about..

Pazienza went from 135 to 160 by lifting weights...No big deal when I started training I went from 12 st to 13 st 7 after a year....

He had a bad career threatening crash and ballooned to 170 whilst recovering..lifting weights was part of the recovery..

You'd know this if you looked him up..

You really should watch what you say...because you are out of order.

I'm quite aware of that and the halo he wore. I'm questioning his physique. He looks more like a WWF wrassler. He went to 168lbs of pure wwf style muscle. Unheard of in a boxer.

All boxers lift weights. Also part of his recovery would probably have been prescribed doses of steroids.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

Have you ever seen natural bodybuilders and how big they are....

"Probably" means bo diddley..It's pretty poor maligning without proof..

Good boxer with plenty of heart..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Have you ever seen natural bodybuilders and how big they are....

"Probably" means bo diddley..It's pretty poor maligning without proof..

Good boxer with plenty of heart..

Yes I have. Have you seen body builders on roids? Before and after? A totally different body mass and look.

Paz was fun to watch in and out of the ring.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

You're bound to have more mass If you lift weights....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're bound to have more mass If you lift weights....

The body shape differs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:21 pm

Why bother testing when you can judge by a photo? Such a waste of money.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

Scottrf wrote:Why bother testing when you can judge by a photo? Such a waste of money.

You need to test you can't say you're banned because you like you're on PEDs. But I see your point but when someone does get caught they do get fined so should square it up financially but regardless of the outcome of the test the cost should be taken from the purse in the first place or paid fo by the BBBoC or one of the delightful world organisations in the sport.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

Was being sarcastic prettyboy with Azania who can tell who is on drugs.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

James Toney.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

Scottrf wrote:Was being sarcastic prettyboy with Azania who can tell who is on drugs.

Sorry m8 Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:53 pm

Scottrf wrote:Why bother testing when you can judge by a photo? Such a waste of money.

Ha.

As I said, its an opinion. The same guys who claimed Paz was roided up also said the same thing about Evan Fields, ooops Holyfield.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:55 pm

Bob wrote:James Toney.

If you train with Burger King and roids, you just put on weight. Roids aids recovery during sessions. It made Toney eat more obviously.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next