The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great?

+3
RinoGattuso
TRUSSMAN66
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
7 posters

Go down

if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great? Empty if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great?

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:30

First off, I'm smart enough to recognise the significant differences between the two fighters I'm about to reference hear but here me out...

This stems from a comment on a non-boxing forum about last night's fight.

In the blue corner we have Wladimir Klitschko. Its fair to say Wlad's glaring flaws have been totally exposed in the past. As a result, he fights in a totally defensive style, minimising any risk of him taking a full blooded shot. It makes for terrible viewing but its kept him at the top of the HW division. Obvious caveat is the standard of opposition but he can only fight whoever's in front of him.

In the red corner you have Floyd Mayweather, a fighter with an immaculate record and no obvious flaws that have been seen in the ring. That's not to say he doesn't have any, and his reluctance to get drawn into a brawl could suggest he wouldn't do well in an all out slugfest. So he plays to his strengths, with a wonderful defence keeping him safe and picking opponents off with style.

So on one hand Wlad stinks out the HW division with a defence first approach and gets dogs abuse for it, and on the other Floyd serves up a stinker last night (as entertainment it was rotten) with his defence based approach, but he's a genius.

Are they really that far removed for each other, or is it just the better standard of Floyd's opposition that differentiates him, plus Wlad's known flaws?

Back to top Go down

if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great? Empty Re: if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:31

If you can't see the difference between the two............It's pointless..

We are talking about negating Manny Pac here not some fat useless slob..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great? Empty Re: if one fighter does it, he's hampering the division, if another fighter does it, he's an all time great?

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:32

Hence my initial caveat...

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:49

But you're not smart enough to know the difference between, hear and here?

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 3 May 2015 - 18:54

I think a better comparison is Rigondeaux. The Mayweather v Pacquaio fight last night was like a less entertaining version of Rigondeaux v Donaire fight a coupe of years prior. I bet a lot of the Mayweather fans who are also Donaire fans were slamming Rigondeauxs style in that fight. Although in fairness to Rigondeaux, he at least took on Donaire when the guy was operating closer to the top of his game and he didnt wait 5 years and in fairness to Donaire hes been the only top name to actually front up and take Rigondeaux on without using the usual excuses.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 3 May 2015 - 19:02

I think if Wlad did dancing programmes, WWE, and smack talking whilst Floyd fought in Germany with a huge KO percentage but lacked any charisma, then they would be viewed differently.

Floyd is miles better, I would much rather watch him fight, but public perception is much kinder to him for additional reasons

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 3 May 2015 - 19:09

catchweight wrote:I think a better comparison is Rigondeaux. The Mayweather v Pacquaio fight last night was like a less entertaining version of Rigondeaux v Donaire fight a coupe of years prior. I bet a lot of the Mayweather fans who are also Donaire fans were slamming Rigondeauxs style in that fight. Although in fairness to Rigondeaux, he at least took on Donaire when the guy was operating closer to the top of his game and he didnt wait 5 years and in fairness to Donaire hes been the only top name to actually front up and take Rigondeaux on without using the usual excuses.

Of Course they are, same with Dirrell, but they can't see the wood from the trees

The biggest hypocrite is Froch, who called Mayweather's performance a master class, but when Dirrell did it to him he was a negative runner.

I've given up, props to Mayweather did what he had to do and won clearly

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 3 May 2015 - 19:14

Lance wrote:I think if Wlad did dancing programmes, WWE, and smack talking whilst Floyd fought in Germany with a huge KO percentage but lacked any charisma, then they would be viewed differently.

Floyd is miles better, I would much rather watch him fight, but public perception is much kinder to him for additional reasons
]]

Absolutely and Floyd doesn't usually do that style anyway, he is usually far more exciting to watch and displays masterful skills. However that style was as boring as Klitchsko or Rigondeux in some of his fights.

I think he was genuinely worried about Pacquiao, so took as little risks as possible. He got the W after all.

All this talk about "Didn't get out of 2nd gear" "Easy Work" "Domination" is just laughable

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 3 May 2015 - 21:04

It's always different with heavyweights though. Was watching a Wlad fight and he threw a beautiful crushing shot and Jim Lampleys voice cried out in adulation 'THATS what heavyweights are supposed to do'. With Mayweather you know what you'll get but Wlad just when you've thought you've got him sussed will burst out of his shell and bludgeon his opponent to the floor with a savage hook or cross then proceed to let the opponent hang around when he could quite clearly flatten him. what Mayweather did last night which was eliminate all risk entirely Wlad does that as a matter of course.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down