The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Fans: Update me please

+8
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
ME-109
Kingshu
red_stag
rodders
Thomond
pete (buachaill on eirne)
12 posters

Go down

Irish Fans: Update me please Empty Irish Fans: Update me please

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:02 pm

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and gearing up for the match on Sunday.
I've been in Asia since New Years day and have missed a large chunck of all rugby (saw the two Leinster HCup games) an I have been very kindly been getting a few updates via text from a few fellow 606ers but largely I'm out of the loop so what's been going on?

I know bits and bobs and am currently reading as fast as my dyslexic brain allows but I know headlines rather than full stories and details mainly

1) Can people give their opinions on who has been playing particularilly well/badly over the last month? Any Irish player or player who plays in Ireland.
2) How our the provinces doing in general? I know we got 3 through to the 1/4 finals (awesome by the way!) but are Ulster a bit more solid and are Munster building back up again (when last I watched them they were winning but playing not so great)?
3) How was the Wolfhounds game? I've read some but not lots on this, surprised (with my limited info) that Tuohy got in ahead of Toner and O'Malley ahead of Spence. Also no Hagan/Buckley?
4) New manager? huh?
5) Welsh fella's injured?
6) Brian McLaughlin?! I thought he'd be pretty safe re 1/4 final qualification 2 years in a row!?!?!?!
7) This 1 cap English captain!?!?!?!!?!
8) Anything else I haven't heard about?
9) OH YEAH! Signings!? Sykes?! Lualaa?! Downey!? Wilson!? Are the IRFU rounding up all the exiles?! Bowe....?

Thanks for the help guys just trying to get back up to speed!
Beagnach abhaile in Eirinn alainn. heart

Back to top Go down

Irish Fans: Update me please Empty Re: Irish Fans: Update me please

Post by Thomond Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

Baby Kearney was great against the Saxons. Zebo lit it up against the Saints. Keatley has been poor. O'Leary is looking solid. O'Mahony just keeps on improving. Earls is doing okay at 13. Kearney senior looking great and the Leinster backs look capable of threatening from anywhere. Griffen and O'Halloran doing well out west, they put in the best defensive performance I have seen against Harlequins.

Trimble is doing what he usually does, Henry is looking like he could get a bench spot, Gilroy is doing alright solid but not outstanding. Marshall (Scrum Half) should have been involved with the wolfhounds. Cave was looking like a2nd choice 13 until he got injured.

Spence hasn't seen a huge amount of game time of the season from Ulster and O'Malley has been better than him. Tuohy was one of the better players in the Wolfhound game in what was a poor performance. Dave K, POM and Tuohy were some of the better performers.

McLaughlin will probably be involved with Ulster in some capacity at least that's what I gather Kirwan being mentioned as a potential replacement. Robshaw is only a caretaker but he has always been a leader for Quins.

Sykes is gone, he never really got going with Leinster, Downey is apparently coming to Munster as is Laulala I don't know if I would want either to be honest Laulala ahead of the one dimensional Downey. Bowe is either going to Ulster/Munster. Munster would probably offer more money so we'll see how it goes. People in Munster don't seem incredibly excited by the prospect we have some talent on the wings in Zebo and 'Dea coming through, he would have to play centre.

Others can help you out better I would imagine but that is a brief synopsis.

You alright for game links? I can sort you out, Iimagine they work in Vietnam!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:32 pm

Thanks Thomond,

Much appreciated buddy. OK

That's a lot of info. How has Darcy been looking? Managed to see the Leinster glasgow game in Saigon but the Montpellier game in Phucket was a disaster trying to get a signal. Got Canal+ in the end and that was dodge too.

Glad Tuohy seems to be doing well always liked him and Kearney's too, that's all good to hear. Pity about Cave I would have liked to have seen

Sexton
Wallace
Cave

don't really rate earls as a 13 love him as a wing.

POM doing well yes?

Leisnter looking for a replacement over seas for Sykes or are they gonna try budge Ruddock/McL in to the second row?

TOL being hunted by French clubs????

Thanks for the offer of links but in Bangkok airport now heading back go dti mo theach. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

Brad Thorn has been touted as a short term signing. D'Arcy has been his usual self. Average at best. Ruddock to munster has been mooted and we could give Nagle in repsonse. Yeah TOL to Perp came out today, he has been pretty decent and he might not want to play second fiddle so could see it happening. We can get a few more years from Strings anyhow.

Sure I sent you the links and if you don't have sky, it can be used from them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

Thanks thomond you are a gent.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:07 am

Welcome back Pete! Hug

Gees buddy you missed some great rugby man, some of the best provincial displays ever!

Flip I wouldn't know where to start there have been so many impressive performances across the board. No one is playing badly but the standout Irish players recently for me have been:

Chris Henry, Stephen Ferris, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave, Dan Touhy, Devin Toner, Ian Madigan, Eoin O'Malley, Simon Zebo, Donnacha Ryan, Peter O'Mahoney, Niall Ronan, Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin Griffin, Tiernan O'Hallaran, Jamie Heaslip, Rob Kearney, Paul O'Connell, Dave Kearney, John Muldoon...amongst others.

Good times man guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

Provinces: All are doing well in the Heineken Cup. Munster won 6 out of 6 and emerged as top seeds. They went over and put 51 points on Northampton. Zebo (who has replaced Doug Howlett in the team) scored a hattrick. Leinster are flying it at home and destroyed Bath in the best attacking display I have ever seen from an Irish team, but were a bit shaky on the road if truth be told against Montpellier and Glasgow. Ulster had a tough group and did brilliantly to emerge from it. They blitzed Tigers in Ravenhill in an amazing match.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:29 am

You forgot to mention Connacht stag! Very Happy ...that defensive performance against quins was the stuff of Irish legend! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:38 am

Rory McIlroy promised if he wins a major this year, he'll pay for Ulster to have either Dan Carter ot McCaw for a year, both if he wins two, and free beer for Ulster fans if he wins three.

Pádraig Harrington said he'd match that for Leinster.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

Rodders not just that but I was very impressed with them against Toulouse in France. Other teams have played far worse down there.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

1) All the Munster players are playing brilliantly and should make up the bulk of the Irish team. Anything else would be a grave injustice. Sexton is playing badly.....
2) See above. Leinster fell over the line, Ulster had an easy time against a limited Leicsester and a Clermont team which are a shadow of previous teams (plus they had an Italian team). Munster were imperious winning 6/6 in a tough pool and topped the seedings (much to Rob Kearneys surprise)
3) The wolfhounds game we scored three tries (two from Munster backs zebo and TOL). TOL showed he still has it.
4) New manager? - nope
5) Welsh fella's injured - they all are.
6) Brian McLaughlin?! Ulster still play a limited game and are completely dependent on their 12 South Africans. As for Mclaughlin I feel sorry for him if he is going.
7) This 1 cap English captain!?!?!?!!?! - no one cares.
8) Anything else I haven't heard about? Our economy is wrecked.
9) OH YEAH! Signings!? -

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

Brian McLaughlin is apparently remaining part of the Ulster set-up in a less high profile role, probably to do with the Academy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

DOD you talk some horlicks a times sir ..........

Pete, Munster finished 6 from 6 because of BJ Botha, take him out of the equation then they'd be 3 from 6 and out of Europe.

They stumbled their way through qualification, relying on two last minute ROG drop goals and their one convincing win was in a dead rubber against a very poor Northampton side that had nothing to play for.

Don't let the top seeding midlead you, they've been the least impressive of the Irish provinces and will be getting their backsides handed to them in the QF......Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

roddersm wrote:DOD you talk some horlicks a times sir ..........

Don't let the top seeding midlead you, they've been the least impressive of the Irish provinces and will be getting their backsides handed to them in the QF......Wink

Pot calling the kettle black Rodders? Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

...well maybe I'm wumming a little Thomond...DOD can have that effect on people...don't tell him that though...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:55 pm

Yeah you have to stoop to his level as if you use real debate it just goes over his head and he runs off claiming to have won an argument that never took place.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm

Have to agree though that Botha has been a staple in the Munster team, as much as some people would not like to admit. He is so important, and with Archer well, Munster I think would not be where they are right now.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

roddersm wrote:DOD you talk some horlicks a times sir ..........

Pete, Munster finished 6 from 6 because of BJ Botha, take him out of the equation then they'd be 3 from 6 and out of Europe.

They stumbled their way through qualification, relying on two last minute ROG drop goals and their one convincing win was in a dead rubber against a very poor Northampton side that had nothing to play for.

That was all done on purpose Rodders, just to keep the public interested. Anyway according to Gibson ROG would have planned it just to undermine Sexton... Laugh

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

We all know Botha is important to the Munster team, who has said otherwise? He is as important to Munster as Afoa,Muller et al are to Ulster

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:43 pm

Not too long ago DOD/Sin, not sure which or if both, said something along those lines. Something about Ulster needing the Saffas but Munster playing full irish packs in the past etc etc.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

We did play full irish packs in the past, they're right but we do need our foreigners now however everyone would admit that.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

They didn't admit that though Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

Cant speak for Sin é but I have been quoted as saying that Botha was our most important player this year...........

As for Ulster they are of course dependent on their 23 Saffas (see they are multiplying). Rodders agrees with me. Run

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

They said we didn't need them in the past.......

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

No Sin said something like it's disappointing that Ulster are trying to buy silverware by using foreign players.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

I think it was Sin actually, apologies DOD. I remember more clearly now what the argument was. Sin said that Ulster were poor for bringing in their foreign players to help win games, instead of to develop younger players. When people questioned this and mentioned Du Preez/Botha he said they weren't there to win them games, and when people said they are needed in Munster he said they weren't, then going on to say they are only here for 2 years and so are brought in to help the younger players only and not win games. Something like that anyway.

The point is, Botha is very important to Munster, just as Muller, Pienaar and Afoa are to Ulster Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

The Irish sides were just lucky that the English were tired by the fierce relegation battle that is raging in the Premiership. There's about 9 teams involved in this relegation war I think. Jeff Table. If it wasn't for that Ulster wouldn't have beaten Tigers 41-7, Leinster wouldn't have beaten Bath 52-27, and Munster wouldn't have beaten Northampton away 36-51.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:28 pm

Considering you were only away for a month here's how the provinces did.

Leinster - Ok away against Glasgow, very good at home to Montpellier with Hagan and Madigan making their first HC start. Hagan was part of a Leinster defensive effort that lasted for about 15 mins, 5m from our line, scrum after scrum and he was up against some 23 stone monster. He made the crucial turnover and we didn't concede. We maybe should have got the BP but it looks like being second seeds will suit us more in the QF anyway.

Munster - Ok at home to Castres, nothing special. Away to Saints they were class though, the backrow was savage. The scrum was killed all the same and they gave up 2 panatly tries. Zebo arrived Wink

Ulster - Excellent in both games, tore Leicester apart and but for some poor kicking at times could very nearly have beaten ASM. Nathan Hines made a block on all of the Ulster pack and is no longer welcome in Belfast.

Connacht - Very good against Toulouse but epic in every sense of the word at home to Quins. Muldoon looked about 15 foot tall on the pitch. That game was the highlight of the month for me. Toulouse thought they were out, but little old Connacht saved them. Madness.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

Haha I heard about that block may have to check it out! Thanks everyone fingers crossed and voice ready for Sunday. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

DOD wrote:
As for Ulster they are of course dependent on their 23 Saffas (see they are multiplying). Rodders agrees with me. Run

Thats 22 saffers DOD ya bollix Robbie Diack is IQ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

laughing

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

roddersm wrote:
DOD wrote:

You seem very confident about the QF Rodders. How will you have a team out seeing as most of them will be at either the Free Pres Church service or the Dutch Reform Church....dont think there are many of those down in Limerick Wink

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Hopefully we won't have to put up with Diack for much longer though Run so yeah make that 22!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:17 pm

DOD wrote:

You seem very confident about the QF Rodders. How will you have a team out seeing as most of them will be at either the Free Pres Church service or the Dutch Reform Church....dont think there are many of those down in Limerick Wink

Will Munster have any fans at the match seeing as it's an Easter Sunday,I know how religious you all are down there attending communions and the like ahead of the big rugby matches.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

DOD wrote:
roddersm wrote:
DOD wrote:

Of course I'm confident DOD...sure as well as having 22 saffers + a project player in our side, the man upstairs in our corner..... ghost .... king
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down