The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year?

+11
Golden
profitius
clivemcl
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Standulstermen
JmD
thebandwagonsociety
Kingshu
red_stag
Thomond
Rory_Gallagher
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year? Empty Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

I have to say, I cannot wait to see Ulster, Leinster, Munster and Connacht next year. I will be interested to see how all four do in the HEC, especially Ulster (obviously) and Connacht, and I hope that again we can look to an all irish final. Wink

However what I am really looking forward to next season, is how our next generation of players will get on. I want to see who is going to be challenging the international team next year, in the same fashion that Murray, O'Mahony and Zebo have done this year. I have a feeling we are going to unearth a few gems next season, from each of the provinces. I was wondering who you are most looking forward to from firstly your own province, and secondly the other provinces. I shall go first:

Ulster: Gilroy to have a huge season, and make his claim for the irish shirt. Also Spence to get much more game time at 13, and challenge Cave for the starting 13 shirt, and hopefully make his mark as the best prospect at 13 for the future. Apart from this I hope to see Hendy get a shot at second row as much as possible, though he will mostly be playing 6 if he does play next season. Birch is another guy who needs game time, as he is an IQ 7 and has looked a good prospect when he has featured.

Munster: O'Mahony to continue to grow as a real candidate as a future irish option, and as a possible captain. I also hope to see how the Munster 7s (whoever they decide to play) will get on, as they have quite a few options there, and O'Donnell has impressed me in the latter stages of the season just past. The guy I am most excited about however, is Hanrahan. Will he get a lot of game time? I hope so.

Leinster: Leinster have quite a few players I will be looking forward to seeing. The likes of Dave Kearney, Ian Madigan and O'Malley are all players who have shown great potential this past season. Madigan especially looks the real deal. I hope he can get more starts for Leinster, possibly even at 12. Kearney will probably get quite a bit of game time on the wing due to Fitzgerald's injury. One of the guys I am most interested about however, is Dominic Ryan. The last game I saw him play I was impressed, and I know he is highly rated by many Leinster fans on here. I hope to see him make a huge impact. Lastly, is Furlong going to get any game time at this point or is it too early for him?

Connacht: The player I will be most interested in will be Faloon, for obvious reasons. Ex-Ulster player in Connacht, a natural 7, and a guy with a lot of talent, though he hasn't lived up to his potential over the past few seasons. I hope to see a revival of his potential irish career. Apart from Faloon, I will be keen to see Griffin progress and to see if he is a contender for the 13 shirt for Ireland.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year? Empty Re: Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year?

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

I don't see JJ getting much game time. DOCv2 is an exciting prospect as is Paddy Butler. With a lot of retirements in the backrow, we need to unearth some new guys and I think these could step up. Hoping to see Luke O'Dea improve on what was a pretty solid first season.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year? Empty Re: Irish fans: Who are you most excited about next year?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

Yeah I forgot about DOCv2, I think he looks impressive. I have seen it suggested that he is likely to play in the second row eventually though? As for Hanrahan, why do you not see him getting much game time? At 10 there are a few guys ahead of him, but at 12 who is there? Downey and..?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

I think he will be seen mainly as a 10 and he won't get much game time ahead of Rog and Keatley/Deasy. At 12 he could see some alright. I think Johne Murphy and maybe Barnes could be ahead of him for inside centre. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see him gettign massive game time.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

I hope you are wrong about Murphy and Barnes being seen ahead of him at 12, when they aren't even 12s. I don't think Hanrahan should be exclusively seen as a 10 either, he has played both to a high standard and I think the versatility will serve him well. As long as he doesn't start playing wing, full back, 13 etc too..

I would like to see a Murray-Hanrahan half back partnership in the future and I believe it could be fantastic, but it might be a while yet until we see it. So in order to get him game time, experience, and to see where he really is best, Munster should play him at 12 ASAP.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

Both have played 12 a few times AFAIK.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

Rory,

We may see Keith Earls as first choice 12 with Downey being the Pro 12 cover:

09 Conor Murray
10 Ronan O'Gara
11 Simon Zebo
12 Keith Earls
13 Casey Laulala
14 Doug Howlett
15 Felix Jones

09 Peter Stringer
10 Ian Keatley
11 Johne Murphy
12 James Downey
13 Danny Barnes
14 Luke O'Dea
15 Denis Hurley

I really really worry about Hanrahans development but I am hoping Mr Penney will recognise his talent.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

I'd probably have Hurley in the HC team at the moment.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

I probably would as well but next season who knows.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm

Well that isn't a good sign stag.. why are you worried about his development? Also Earls at 12 would be very interesting indeed.. he has certainly improved on his awareness dramatically. He could be very effective there now. Would he be happy at 12?

About Furlong btw, I have just checked and next season it seems that he could be 3rd choice tight head? With Ireland calling for Ross, that could potentially mean Furlong is on the bench in his absence. I really hope that is the case, when he came on against Italy in the U20s our scrum was a real weapon (before he came on it was a shambles).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

From my own pint of view, I don't think Hanrahan will see a lot of game time for another season or two, ROG staying on could hurt his development. In Ireland we also tend to pigeon hole our outhalves so I wonder will he get game time at centre. I think that's where his development could be a problem.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

I'm worried for JJ as I fear that there are too many guys ahead of him when he needs gametime.

I think Earls would love to play there. Its where he played all his youth rugby. He formed a dangerous partnership with Darren Cave there for the Irish U20s like that and I know his favourite position is centre (though he hasn't said which).

I think Laulala is creative enough to make that partership work.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

In fact despite having never played there, Hanrahan could actually see game time at fullback given Felix Jones injury, Hurley carrying a knock, a lack of other fullbacks and the fact we have seen Irish teams play 10s at fullback in the past.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

I'm looking foward to seeing Bowe next year, think he'll pick up a few caps as well.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

I would rather not see Hanrahan play 15, I think that would damage his development more than getting no game time. We have too many jack-of-all-trades players. 10/12 are interchangeable positions for many of the world's greatest 10s/12s. Carter began his career at 12, and this season for the Crusaders he has been playing at 12.

Hanrahan needs his talent to be seen ASAP. He is what 19? He has plenty of time, but the sooner he gets noticed the better. Lets not wait until he is 25 before deciding he is good enough. I mean, does the idea of an on form Murray and Hanrahan not excite you?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

Oh yeah I certainly can't wait to see Bowe tear the place up for Ulster. Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Rory - your preaching to the choir. You know I have been harping on about JJ for about 2 season. I would have had him in the team last season no doubt and it will madden me if he doesn't get a go this time.

Bowe will be interesting to see.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Well seeing as we haven't seen an on form Murray for nearly all of last season it doesn't! I think we all went to see JJ in action but whether it happens or not is another thing. We're saying it mighn't happen we're not saying we don't want it to.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Well hopefully if we can see it, so will Penney. Where would you have had him play in the season just past?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

Thomond wrote:Well seeing as we haven't seen an on form Murray for nearly all of last season it doesn't! I think we all went to see JJ in action but whether it happens or not is another thing. We're saying it mighn't happen we're not saying we don't want it to.

In terms of natural ability, they could be absolutely fantastic.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

Centre, could have gotten game time instead of Save Tokula picard

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how Ivan Dineen gets on. He is very fast and is strong enough too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

I would have had him at 12 without a shadow of a doubt. I feel he is a 10 but we needed a 12.

Thomond great shout re: Dineen
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:34 pm

I'll be interested to see how Henderson progresses up in Ulster.

This coming season will be key for McFadden to see if he starts taking Darcy's 12 jersey from him on a consistent basis. But for who I look forward to seeing, Flanagan to get more time in the second row and Auv'a to get more pro12 starts.

In connacht, I want to see griffin and TO'H kick on. I don't know why, but I think/hope that Parks provides more options to the backline for one half of every game down there (the other half of the game, the wind will be in Parks back and the ball will be kicked continuously into the opposition 22.

In Munster, I don't know who I'm looking forward to seeing. I want to say Hanrahan but doubt he gets the starts with all the new centres brought in and then ROG/Keatley holding the outhalf options on the depth chart. But maybe Penney surprises a few people and shakes it up a bit.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

Dineen has played both 12 and 13 this season. Which is he best at? He doesn't look anything special to me so far honestly.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Surely Hanrahan would have a chance to get ahead of Keatley this season no?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

Ulster fans have to be looking forward to see how Paddy Jackson performs as first choice 10, can he make the necessary step up?

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

Doh

Another very obvious player that I left out.. of course that will be one of the biggest things to look forward to next season.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

He is a good inside man. Tends to get over the gainline and has decent distribution. If he is given space he has neough pace to exploit it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

For ulster

Henderson - he will get game time
Luke Marshall- needs games and to realise he is potentially in last chance saloon given Farrell is king along just behind
Jackson- ulster needs him to step up. Ireland will benefit too.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

Stand - do you think Marshall has more talent than Farrell? From what I have seen, he is a lot better. Farrell looks sluggish.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

I really hope Connacht have a good season next year, they are i the best group they could hope for, they should beat Zebre home and away (if away game is early in cup before they get settled as a team) Baritz are the weakest french team in it (arguable) and they are familar with Harliquins.
they really should be aiming for a best runner up spot and have a good chance of getting it.

looking forward to seeing Griffen and Sherry this year home overall Connacht have improved on last year, parks kicking in Galway will be important and fits the stadium.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

I think Marshall has more potential than any of our youngsters Rory but he needs to show anscombe in training and deliver it when he gets his chance. After the dragons and Cardiff games of two seasons ago I felt he would significantly challenge paddy when he returned from the RWC. But McL preferred spence initially and when Marshall did get a chance it was between Jackson and spence with small P, Gilroy, D'arcy in the back line as well playing behind a pack that was being routinely beaten.

Despite that he looked our most dangerous back but was dropped when cave returned. From there injuries have stymied him. Farrell looks like a massive unit that can shift and pass which mustn't be ignored. He is the closest thing Ireland have to a roberts style centre.

Marshall needs to vary his game accordingly and really challenge paddy Wallace. Anscombe won't care if he is a Ireland international, if Marshall provides a bett option he will pick him. That being said it will take some preformance for Marshall to challenge paddy.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

Interesting. I still think he and Spence last season looked like the future.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

I agree Rory but Marshall needs to be on top of his game to bring the best from spence.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

From an Ulster point of view I'm with Stand here on this one. Can't wait to see Henderson get a few run outs and perhaps might get a shot in big matches in the second row depending on his development. I know Tuohy might be the best we have at the moment to deputise for Ryan or O'Connell, but he is a pretty average player to be honest. I can see him being thrown in in what is an experienced pack, especially with Muller beside him.

I really want to see Spence and Marshall in the centre, particularly Marshall if he can bring some of what we saw a couple of seasons ago when he burst on the Magners scene.

Really excited however to see the signing we have all forgotten about- Jared Payne. Here's hoping he can show some of that Super 15 form.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:27 pm

I also think Henderson could be the replacement for Tuohy eventually.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

Wont he replace Muller before Tuohy needs replacing?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

I don't think Hendy and Tuohy would work as a partnership. Neither do enough of the donkey work.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:43 pm

One will have to learn to. Henderson will get some time with muller this year. No better man to bring him on. I see the Irish U20s have him starting at 6 against England.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:44 pm

Unless Stevenson and Tuohy start with Henderson on the bench, which I imagine the team will look like in the future.

Haven't they already played England?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

Standulstermen wrote:One will have to learn to. Henderson will get some time with muller this year. No better man to bring him on. I see the Irish U20s have him starting at 6 against England.

Great! Ireland desperately need a dynamic second row and Henderson is one for the medium term to long term. A season of playing a handful of the big matches, perhaps a couple of Heineken Cup games if form merits it.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

The have to find ranks for everyone so England play Ireland again and then the winner plays the winner of France v Australia I think

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:07 pm

Agree regarding Luke Marshall. Looks to have the class to play international rugby in the future. He needs a run of games to show what he can do. A player like him at 12 also gives teams options and takes the pressure off the 10.

Also in Ulster I'll be interested to see how the following players go: Henderson, Gilroy, Fitzpatrick, Macklin

In Leinster: Madigan, Martin Moore, Tom Denton, Jack McGrath, Dom Ryan

In Connacht: Marmion, O'Halloran, Griffin, Harris-Wright

In Munster: Hanrahan, DOC2, John Ryan, Kilcoyne, Sherry, Cotter, Cathal O'Flaherty (if he gets a few starts), Butler, Dineen.

Munster have to rebuild so theres plenty of players I'm looking forward to seeing.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
About Furlong btw, I have just checked and next season it seems that he could be 3rd choice tight head? With Ireland calling for Ross, that could potentially mean Furlong is on the bench in his absence. I really hope that is the case, when he came on against Italy in the U20s our scrum was a real weapon (before he came on it was a shambles).

Ross, Hagan and Bent should be ahead of him, not sure in what order though. Hopefully Bent turns out to be able to scrummage.
Cant see him getting much if any game time. Hagan after a full season of starting at Connacht got hardly any game time so i cany imagine a player straight out of the under 20s will stroll into such a specialised position.

Have Leinster not produced some of the THs in the previous few years under 20s??

Im excited to see McGrath x2 get some time this season as well as seen more of Kearney Jnr, Conway, O'Malley, Madigan and top of the list is Dom Ryan, cant wait for him to get some consistent game time.

For Connacht i thought Griffin-McSherry had started a good partnership which id like to see continued. Also O' Halloran and Layden will hopefully see some time and not be too hampered by Parks.

For Ulster it has to be Maklin for me, he looks very promising and in our most lacking position. Then Henderson, Marshall and Spence and of course Payne back from injury.

At munster id love to see Jones get a full season without a major injury and the continued developmemt of O'Dea, Barnes, Hanarahan, POM and Dave O'Callaghan.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

Who is Bent?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

Henderson and Hanaran for me for the newbies....

Looking forward to seeing more of Madigan and Kearney jr..exceptional talents and surely closing in on international selection .

At Connacht I think Mr Faloon can really make a name for himself.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

I hope we see Madigan get a few starts this season at 12 outside Sexton. He could be an option there.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Who is Bent?

Some Irish qualified kiwi who they have signed up from the Canes i think. Can play both sides of the scum. No idea how good he is though

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:33 pm

Golden wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Who is Bent?

Some Irish qualified kiwi who they have signed up from the Canes i think. Can play both sides of the scum. No idea how good he is though

Interesting. Has he had much game time for the Canes?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:42 pm

Eh i havent seen much super XV so i dont really know.

But going by Wikipedia hes only played 11 times for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bent

It says hes only played 40 games since 2009 as well (29 for Taranaki, 11 for the Hurricanes) that seems very low, wonder was he injured.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next