The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury relinquishes his titles......

+21
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
manos de piedra
compelling and rich
KingMonkey
hampo17
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
alanqlm
Pound-for-Pound
huw
Rowley
Boxtthis
bhb001
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
Soldier_Of_Fortune
hogey
Mind the windows Tino.
Adam D
88Chris05
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fury relinquishes his titles...... Empty Re: Fury relinquishes his titles......

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

I am a little surprised, I have to say; Fury seemed very genuine and sincere when he said he was desperate to earn a Lonsdale belt outright.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Huh?

Could you please edit the OP to include some detail or this one gets locked.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I really thought he would go ahead with this fight. Haven't heard the reasons behind it but he has always talked, in his rather silly accent, about taking on 'anybody' and being a 'fighter'. I genuinely thought he would step up and fight Price. He should as well. Price looks rather good but he is hyped up beyond all comprehension on here and I would make Fury a live underdog.

Perhaps he has good reasons but it doesn't look all that promising, right now.

Ducker.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 pm

No suprise really he and Mick Hennessy surely know Price is in a different league than him, this way he can stay unbeaten and keep his earning potential alive for a little longer.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Theres a surprise!!!

Price would spank him out in a round.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Added some substance to the article.

If Fury's next fight is not a K-Bro or Povetkin, then he is a charlatan and a knave, and will go down considerably in my opinion.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Think we all understood the thread from the title and OP immediately, though thanks for the extra detail anyway.

The only thing Fury can't duck now, is the accusations of ducking. As blatant as the day is long and an embarrassment to the gypsy heritage he likes to talk about.

Would back Price to take him out in less than 6-8 rounds but it'd still be a live and competitive match-up.

Ducker.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Union Cane wrote:
If Fury's next fight is not a K-Bro or Povetkin, then he is a charlatan and a knave, and will go down considerably in my opinion.

Highly unlikely though. If he's running scared of Price and claims to be going after a world title he'll spend the next 2-3 years fighting fat nightclub bouncers, dodging anyone of real quality.

Lose against Price. Earning potential damaged.

Lose against K-Bro/ Povetkin. Earning potential damaged.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 pm

This is a mistake by Fury. He is not ready for a K-Bro or Povetkin yet, but it would be a good fight with Price. I think you'll see him against a nobody in his pursuit for a world championship belt!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 am

Price is streets ahead of Fury, and both Fury and Hennessy know it. In this day and age it doesn't take too much to get a shot at the HW title. Chisora is already getting his shot, and Fury has beaten Chisora. I figure that Hennessy gets Tyson a few more fights, maybe a few names, and then gets him thrown in to be schooled by a Klitschko for his big payday. If he puts Tyson up against Price, he gets schooled, and the hype train behind Fury stops.

Fury is a decent boxer at times and he has heart, but he doesn't use his height, he doesn't even punch his weight, he's clumsy as hell, he's slow, and his cardio is atrocious. Given time to train with someone like say Emanuel Steward could work out well for him, but these days it's difficult to build any HW contender up because as soon as they do anything well they are being touted for a possible title shot (as Fury has been). Plus, I'm not convinced that Fury has enough base level skill to mould into a champion anyway. Right now some of the main reasons that he's an attraction are his massive size and his memorable name. Comparing him to the controlled movement and tight technique of a similarly big HW in David Price is like night and day as far as I can see.

It makes perfect sense that he avoided Price (at least that's exactly what it looks like to me), but I'm perhaps a little surprised because I kind of believed Fury's 'I'm a fighting man' gypsy attitude.

I wonder who Price is going to find to fight? No one seems to want any part of him. It'll be a shame if he's rushed towards a world title shot. Given the correct build up I think Price could get himself right up there in the upper echelons of the HW division.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 am

Hate to use the word ducker and will go out of my way to avoid using it but this does not reflect well on Fury, is all very well Hennessy mentioning £100k and no denying it seems a big offer for a domestic title, but it is not a big offer if Maloney can put the fight on and pay Price £200k, there is a process in place, if an offer is turned down the rival promoter is allowed to make a counter offer if negotiations fail they should go to purse bids and the best offer wins, you do not dump your belt the minute an offer is turned down as it will only be interpreted one way.

As an aside early days but wouldn't it be nice if for once we got to discuss on here two fighters doing everything they could to make a fight the fans want rather than discussing why another good match up has fallen by the wayside.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am

This may be a very hasty decision by Fury, as I am still to be convinced about Price. The McDermott fight showed us nothing, and Price is known to be susceptible to a smack on the chin, which Fury is more than capable of giving him.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:15 am

Union Cane wrote:This may be a very hasty decision by Fury, as I am still to be convinced about Price. The McDermott fight showed us nothing, and Price is known to be susceptible to a smack on the chin, which Fury is more than capable of giving him.

I agree. I think Price does everything better than Fury and is clearly in better shape but he the one thing Fury has shown is the ability to get involved in a tough battle and come through. Chisora, albeit an out of shape Chisora, is still way better than anything Price has on his record.

Price would probably stop him at some point but I think the hype train is already disappearing off over the horizon. Fury has/had a chance. You would think all Price has to do is turn up and knock him out.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

Maybe Fury has signed exclusively to C5 / Primetime and as such wouldn't be able to let this go to purse bids as he would be breaking contract.

If Price were Khan there would be talks of him being to greedy and he would earn considerably more after beating Fury etc.

Don't know the ins and outs of this but feel there is a little more info needed before the 'ducker' comments start.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Got to agree with both Tina and Union, I think Price beats him as I'm not a massive Fury fan but think a degree of perspective is necessary with Price, he is not the reincarnation of Loe Louis, he may develop into a decent heavy but he is still pretty green and the best names on his record are Tom Dallas and a woefully out of shape McDermott

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 am

rowley wrote:Got to agree with both Tina and Union, I think Price beats him as I'm not a massive Fury fan but think a degree of perspective is necessary with Price, he is not the reincarnation of Loe Louis, he may develop into a decent heavy but he is still pretty green and the best names on his record are Tom Dallas and a woefully out of shape McDermott

At least Price looks like a boxer.

Fury looks like someone scrapping outside the kebab shop at 2am

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am

Preaching to the converted Cpt, I am far from convinced by Fury, in fact will go on record as saying I think he is ordinary but the point I am making is he has mixed in better company and has more experience than Price, he should be willing to take this fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 am

Agreed

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Probably a good idea by the Fury team to be honest. I have a feeling in a few years Tyson Fury will be the british equivalent of Tye Fields.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 am

Fury has a tough and relentless battle with Chisora, a fight that, from memory, almost everyone on here had Dereck winning. Yes, Chisora was out of shape but he was still firing punches at the end.

Price has a walkover with a John McDermott who was in equally as bad, if not worse, shape than Chisora and he was hailed on here a few weeks back as the likely successor to Lennox Lewis.

Crazy.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

The arguement that Price at least looks in better shape than Fury is completely irrelavent in my opinion.

Pretty certain Olubamiwo looked alot more like a boxer than McDermott when they fought but look what happened there. Now I know Price is leagues ahead of Larry but at the same point Fury is miles ahead of McDermott.

While I prefer Price and think he will go further, Id call this a 50/50 fight mainly due to not knowing how capable Price is of taking a shot that Fury will no doubt land on him.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 am

Not surprised in the slightest I said this would happen and I got stick for it. The Price fight is a stupid fight for Fury to take regardless of how much we all wanted to see it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 am

A very blatent duck. If certain fighters had done this people would be up in arms. I'm not sure how much better Fury is than McDermott, I had McDermott winning the first fight, and the second one I think it was more fatigue that ended the fight than anything else.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Not surprised in the slightest I said this would happen and I got stick for it.

Link?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:56 am

As per a tweet I saw earlier today this just reeks of one camp not being as convinced about their man as they originally claimed.

Fury's team have pulled him out and if his next fight isn't against a respected name then he has ducked Price. Pure and simple.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:57 am

Union Cane wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Not surprised in the slightest I said this would happen and I got stick for it.

Link?

https://www.606v2.com/t22373-fury-v-price-i-m-not-sure-this-will-happen
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 am

Such a fight would have been "to the winner the spoils" and left the other man picking up the pieces of his career. I remember slagging off Fury before the Chisora fight and eating humble pie afterwards, so I don't think that he can be written off before fighting an inexperienced fighter in Price. Against a K-bro, yes, but he has a decent chance against almost everyone else who is around now. 50/50 sounds right to me

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 am

thumbsup

(Never doubted you for a second!)
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

Union Cane wrote:

thumbsup

I remember that article and you were definitely proven right. The point at the time seemed to be that it would be a pity if the fight didn't happen, which is the view I still hold.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 am

i dont realy get this decsion, he says he's moving on to bigger things yet the only bigger fight than price in uk at least would be one of the K brothers. yet imo and many others he would get beat by price let alone either of the brothers. the only thing i can see would be he's wants a big pay day against either klitschos before he gets beaten by someone like price and a fight would go out the window.

the problem i see is i dont see him going on to anything bigger than price, he fight some nobody with a padded record earning money from fighting on 5. it is a blatant case of ducking but his team and him must think there not ready for price and are putting it off untill fury improves, fair enough imo but price isnt going anywhere and he's going to have to fight him sooner or later.

finally, if he does take this route theres a good chance of furys stock falling before he will take on price. he's looked very beatable his last few fights and if he does step up in class there a very possible chance he will get beat, which at that point im sure he'll be knocking on prices door asking for a shot at his british title.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

Union Cane wrote:

thumbsup

pwned

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

Hasn't Hennessey booked MSG for 17th March?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 am

bhb001 wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

thumbsup

I remember that article and you were definitely proven right. The point at the time seemed to be that it would be a pity if the fight didn't happen, which is the view I still hold.

I said I wanted it but I knew this fight wouldn't happen it makes no sense for Fury.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:16 am

Union Cane wrote:Hasn't Hennessey booked MSG for 17th March?

He said he had and so did Fury on one of the Bunce shows a while back but there's been nothing else said about it. Apparently one of Furys children are unwell so that may affect him travelling.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Apparently one of Furys children are unwell so that may affect him travelling.

There's a joke in there somewhere...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 am

Union Cane wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Apparently one of Furys children are unwell so that may affect him travelling.

There's a joke in there somewhere...

You think unwell children is funny.......!!!!!!

Would you if it happened to you........??????????

No class.........

Cool Tinoey Cool

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 am

This was discussed recently enough whether or not Fury would give up his titles and I have to say I am surprised he has. There isnt any real explnation for it other than his team dont want Price.

I could be wrong, but had Fury been able to secure some kind of world/euro title I am sure that, like Chisora before him, he would have been given a generous timeframe to defend his belts and they would have accomodated him. That would have allowe him to at least keep his titles until after a title shot. But the fact hes relinquishing them straight away means he obviously has no intention of defending them.

Unless he has some sort of unofficial deal in place to fight for the interim/vacated Euro title or plans on fighting a big divisional name then I dont really get the move. Although Price has looked good I cant say for sure he would be better than his equivalents in Eastern Europe or the U.S like Boytsov, Mitchell, Pulev, Dmitrenko etc or whether he would have the beating of more experienced guys like Arreola, Adamek, Chambers and so on.

Unless Fury delivers some credible names in the next 12 months its going to very hard to excuse this fight not happening. Because even if you did want to step it up onto world level thees no harm in hanging onto your domestic titles in the meantime.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 am

In doing so he loses what credibility he had.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

One point I don't agree on is that a fight against Price would stop a fight against a K bot.

After all Fursy beat Chisora.

Would be a dangerous fight for Fury no doubt and I would say a 50/50 at the moment.

Haven't seen enough of Price under pressure to have any idea how he'd cope being hit by Fury but feel Fury would somehow cope, not in a pretty way but somehow hang on!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Fury should be ashamed.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Sporting Life are reporting as expected it will be Price vs Sexton for the British title, very disappointed in Fury.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=boxing/12/02/09/manual_111130.html&BID=543

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 pm

rowley wrote:Sporting Life are reporting as expected it will be Price vs Sexton for the British title, very disappointed in Fury.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=boxing/12/02/09/manual_111130.html&BID=543

Laugh

Why am I not in the least bit surprised that you read the Sporting Life, jeff! Whippet lead in one hand and rolled up Sporting Life under the other arm!

Big shame though, Sexton has been a little exposed by Chisora and it doesn't get the juices flowing as much as Fury v Price. But, trying to put a positive spin on it, it is step up from anything Price has faced so far.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Ha, I genuinely don't, am not a gambler, I have google news as my homepage at work and the link was on there, honest!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm

chin

I think we should wait for Fury to announce his next fight before slaughtering him, give the lad a chance.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:20 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I could be wrong, but had Fury been able to secure some kind of world/euro title I am sure that, like Chisora before him, he would have been given a generous timeframe to defend his belts and they would have accomodated him. That would have allowe him to at least keep his titles until after a title shot. But the fact hes relinquishing them straight away means he obviously has no intention of defending them.

Unless he has some sort of unofficial deal in place to fight for the interim/vacated Euro title or plans on fighting a big divisional name then I dont really get the move.

These points from Manos sums up my feelings on this.

Even if he didnt want any part of Price he still could of held on to the belts for a fair while before abandoning them all together. The way I see it now is his team has to get a fight with one of the Klit boys this year otherwise its going to look very bad for him and his team.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 pm

The only excuse I could see for Fury is that at 23 he doesn't want to risk a loss. There is plenty of time to fight Price in the future should both go on to do well.

Fury could do with a few easy fights. He's been knocked about in recent outings.

The usual complaint stands that Fury needs to knuckle down and get in shape if he wants to take on tougher fights.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Thing for me Strongy is there is always a reason not to take a fight, be it money, unbeaten record, something better on the horizon, waiting till it is bigger etc etc, would be nice just once if fighters found a reason to take a fight rather than not to. This is a decent match up on paper and had fans close to something resembling excitement, what more do they need.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Unless he has some sort of unofficial deal in place to fight for the interim/vacated Euro title or plans on fighting a big divisional name then I dont really get the move.

Exactly so.

If in the next fortnight we hear that Fury's signed to fight the K-bros - then we'd all let him off.

I don't think we're going to hear that, though.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:10 am

rowley wrote:Thing for me Strongy is there is always a reason not to take a fight, be it money, unbeaten record, something better on the horizon, waiting till it is bigger etc etc, would be nice just once if fighters found a reason to take a fight rather than not to. This is a decent match up on paper and had fans close to something resembling excitement, what more do they need.

I agree from a fans point of view. The bad precedent set at the top by the Floyd/Manny debacle seems to have trickled down the hill to domestic level.

In saying that I think Fury looks vulnerable at the moment and maybe they just don't fancy his chances against Price's power.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 am

Is a shame though mate, as you say does seen to be something of a theme at the minute, do get sick of people talking about doesn't make business sense etc. May well be a utopian view of things but Fury is British champion (was) someone has emerged as a legitimate threat to his title and status as top dog in Britain, he should have dealt with him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next