The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tovey WILL join the Blues

+6
Impossible Standards
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
pioden gorllewin
wales606
Londonwelsh
10 posters

Go down

Tovey WILL join the Blues Empty Tovey WILL join the Blues

Post by Londonwelsh Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 am

Tovey has signed a two-year deal at the Blues

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Tovey WILL join the Blues Empty Re: Tovey WILL join the Blues

Post by wales606 Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 am

WOOP!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 am

I flyhalf who can run, kick, pass and tackle - and its only taken us since the inception of regional rugby to get one...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 am

I don't want to sound like a bitter Dragons fan, which I probably am, but he does blow hot and cold. Consistency is his main problem. Hope he does well for you and can kick on for international honours, but he's got a long way to go. I for one was certainly not calling for him to be called up to the Wales squad in the last few years.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:41 am

Cant be more inconsistent than Robinson/Sweeney/Parks/SNK/(insert Blues FH here)

Not even George North can be that inconsistent, and I hear he can do anything...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 am

Actually, I should be fair. SNK was consistent, just not in a good way.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 am

wales606:

have the blues also just signed another kiwi? heard something on the grapevine. abraham something?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 am

pioden gorllewin wrote:wales606:

have the blues also just signed another kiwi? heard something on the grapevine. abraham something?

Havent heard anything,

Got anymore info? Abraham who? What position?

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Good to see promoting from within again as usual by the Blues.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm not saying it isn't true, but the article says 'BBC understands' he's signed for the Blues. There's nothing on the Dragons website and nothing on the Blues website.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 pm

I flyhalf who can run, kick, pass and tackle - and its only taken us since the inception of regional rugby to get one...

Then you really need to question your academy. Why can't you produce a decent 10?

As a Dragons fan it's sad to see him go as I don't think we will get a better replacement for him. However I understand the Dragons at the moment can't offer what their ambitious players want...HC rugby, good training facilities. It's been a VERY bad season for us. Sad

Anyway I hope he does well and wish him the best!

Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm not going to be one of those Dragons fans who'll turn against him if he moves. What would be the point? He's provided us with some great performances and I wish him all the best for the rest of his rugby career.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 pm

And so the Dragons are starting to fulfil their inevitable role as a feeder club.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 am

IronMike wrote:And so the Dragons are starting to fulfil their inevitable role as a feeder club.

Why is it their inevitable role ? - If the Dragons go into huge debt like the other regions & buy some players they will be exactly the same as them. Dragons being punished for being prudent more like!!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 am

Tovey is a very good player, the main problem he has is that he does seem a touch injury prone at the moment. If he can manage to keep himself fit and on the pitch, I would like to think that he would prosper at the Blues as he is good at seeing what is around him, and the Blues do have some classy backs.

As for the Dragons being a feeder club, I think that is a bit harsh. The only player being 'poached' by another region (so far) is Tovey, the others who are leaving are doing the same thing as the other (rumoured) players leaving the other regions, and sodding off for a nice pay check before their best days are behind them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 am

I jest, the Dragons produce good players but they have not really achieved much.

Then again none of the regions are performing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 am

This is a big shame for the Dragons - but hopefully they can blood more youngsters and encourage a new raft of exciting young players to come through - also be interesting to see with the loss of Luke's and Tovey's wages from the wagebill if they'll be able to sign someone exciting

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 am

"First of 4 very decent signings, like you say if he has signed the in's and stayings can't be too shabby as that was the only reason he was holding off.
We could be in for a decent 2012/13, up to 5 league games at CAP and LV at Sardis and a number 10 at last"
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:49 am

wales606 wrote:"First of 4 very decent signings, like you say if he has signed the in's and stayings can't be too shabby as that was the only reason he was holding off.
We could be in for a decent 2012/13, up to 5 league games at CAP and LV at Sardis and a number 10 at last"

Would't it be good if the Blues could produce an outside half from their own acadamy?

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:55 am

dragon999 wrote:
wales606 wrote:"First of 4 very decent signings, like you say if he has signed the in's and stayings can't be too shabby as that was the only reason he was holding off.

Would't it be good if the Blues could produce an outside half from their own acadamy?

Dragon come on now be serious, there's having a laugh and then there's just sheer stupidity Whistle
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 am

If the Blues sign a prop (Rhys Gill maybe?) and Delve, together with Tovey and a reinvigorated Blair and Henson then they could have a seriously good team - backs Williams, Tovey, Halfpenny, Roberts, Henson, Cuthbert, Blair
Fowards - Geth, Thomas, Gill, Bradley, Tito, Patterson, Warbs, Delve

And with that team is only 3 NWQ and isn't Patterson a project player? that's would be an amazing turnaround from this season or 8 NWQ players many of whom are beginning to get over the hill - plus you'd have to see Down (or is it Downes?) and the Welsh u20's captain from last year challenging Tito for his place.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 am

Is ex Cardiff player Steffan Jones going to take over from Tovey?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:39 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:If the Blues sign a prop (Rhys Gill maybe?) and Delve, together with Tovey and a reinvigorated Blair and Henson then they could have a seriously good team - backs Williams, Tovey, Halfpenny, Roberts, Henson, Cuthbert, Blair
Fowards - Geth, Thomas, Gill, Bradley, Tito, Patterson, Warbs, Delve

And with that team is only 3 NWQ and isn't Patterson a project player? that's would be an amazing turnaround from this season or 8 NWQ players many of whom are beginning to get over the hill - plus you'd have to see Down (or is it Downes?) and the Welsh u20's captain from last year challenging Tito for his place.

Down (Downes is the SH) looked to be on a par with Tito for selection before injury.

Gill is LHP, so would only be signed if Gethin leaves (which would not be good, especially if Gill becomes a regular in the Welsh squad) - I expect Andrews to start at THP next season (though I would love it if we sign someone in that position as Andrews isnt ready)

Laulaula is off the Munster (pretty sure its munster, he is off) - So I don't know who will be playing 13. Henson and Hewitt are 12s. Roberts has played 13 for Wales, but now is at 12 with a 12 playing 13??? and Evans is not up to standard. We could see another NWQ come in to replace Laulaula, especially as Henson and Roberts will miss a lot of games.

We also have our player of the season Andreus Pretorious to come back in which everyone seems to have forgotten - he is now WQ and will likely replace Patterson at 6 next season, with Patterson moving into the second row for Tito.

Rumours of 4 good quality signings is very good news (Tovey, Gill, Delve, ???)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 am

Sorry need the facepalm icon for the Gill blunder - of course he plays the same side as Geth oops, i was discussing both their merits on the Wales team thread earlier...
Def need a TH as Andrews isn't ready.
I think Dr Bob could do a good job at 13 with Henson at 12, or vice versa and just change the style of attack. Think it's good for the Blues that Lua Lua is off as I think he's on the wain, just like Rush has been this season.
Forgot about Pretorious - who looked very good when he was playing last season.

While be a very good team with that mystery signing - though I feel the blues need to bring through another raft of youngsters as players like Down, Downes (always get the two mixed up), Robinson and a the other few that have come through this year - they'll all be covering for the ints when they are with Wales, and you'll need more youngsters (as well as Czcekai and James) to give you strength in depth (particularly at 10 where Sweeney just isn't up to regional standard)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Can anyone tell me where the Blues have found this money all of a sudden? Weren't they supposed to be skint? Or have the WRU given the Blues the money to sign a player from another region?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:28 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Can anyone tell me where the Blues have found this money all of a sudden? Weren't they supposed to be skint? Or have the WRU given the Blues the money to sign a player from another region?

Dan Park's contract
Casey Laulaula's contract
Xavier Rush's contract
Fau Filise's contract
Ceri Sweeney's contract
Ritchie Rees's contract
Mamma Molitika's contract

+ HC 1/4 final money (1/2mil?)
+ Tovey doesn't cost much.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Can anyone tell me where the Blues have found this money all of a sudden? Weren't they supposed to be skint? Or have the WRU given the Blues the money to sign a player from another region?

Yes they are very skint.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 am

Didn't they have a wage bill in excess of £4m a year 2 seasons ago?

Though they have got rid of Shanks, G Williams and Powell as well as others - so their loss in wages (minus Hensons) combines with the ones listed above by Wales606 must make a pretty big dent in that £4 (wasn't the Dragons wages something like £1.5m?)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Didn't they have a wage bill in excess of £4m a year 2 seasons ago?

Though they have got rid of Shanks, G Williams and Powell as well as others - so their loss in wages (minus Hensons) combines with the ones listed above by Wales606 must make a pretty big dent in that £4 (wasn't the Dragons wages something like £1.5m?)

It was reported this time last year that they would need to trim £750,000 from the wage bill. Whether they have achieved that yet I couldn't say. But everything needs to be considered especially the cash spent on CCS which is crucifying them and they simply cannot afford it. Early rumours suggest that stadium costs (not rent) have risen substantially and in the last financial year they lost over £2m. The accounts are to be published very soon, so that will give a clearer picture of the state Cardiff Blues are in.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 am

Yup I think I remember that figure of 750,000, but you would have thought with all the players going they would have achieved that, though it doesn't give much room for new signings, especially with increases in wages for the youngsters/main players.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Is ex Cardiff player Steffan Jones going to take over from Tovey?

No, Lewis Roblin from the Dragons academy.

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down