The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jason Tovey

+7
dave568
Dominic Dicoco
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
formerly known as Sam
Taffineastbourne
welsh-matfield
11 posters

Go down

Jason Tovey Empty Jason Tovey

Post by welsh-matfield Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

After most probably being left out of the welsh world cup squad, does anyone think jason still has the potential and talent to become a fully fledged international?, remember he is still very young at 21.

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Jason Tovey Empty Re: Jason Tovey

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

I hope so.The lad has class.My main concern is that he seems to be injury prone.Maybe a little more gym work will do the trick.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Depends on when Stephan Jones decides to retire. The current management seem extremely satisfied with a combination of him and Hook. Priestland, Biggar and Tovey all waiting in the wings. If Hook is left out after his move to France and Jones steps down from international duty post RWC then he could be given the opportunity. 21 is young for a fly half it's not like time is against him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

To be honest I can't see Steve Jones keeping on at international level post RWC (especially as when we crash out at the pool stages he will take a heap of flak). So then it comes down to (as someone else said on another thread) if Hook is getting played at fly half or centre in France. The way I see it is that Dan Biggar and Rhys Priestland are the more Steve Jones style fly half, and Tovey (and young Matthew Morgan) are more in the mould of Hook.

Personally I would like to see Wales looking towards Tovey and Priestland (on at fly half and one at fullback) for the future.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Hook will never be left out of Welsh time unless he chooses to be.

I still have lots of Faith in Tovey, he has natural talent but needs to work on his athleticism and fitness.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

munkian wrote:Hook will never be left out of Welsh time unless he chooses to be.

This is true, but if Hook is playing centre in France, and doesn't get any game time at Fly Half then it would take a mental person to select him at fly half over a talented player who wears the ten shirt 90% of the time.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

[quote="ScarletSpiderman"][quote="munkian"]Hook will never be left out of Welsh time unless he chooses to be.

This is true, but if Hook is playing centre in France, and doesn't get any game time at Fly Half then it would take a mental person to select him at fly half over a talented player who wears the ten shirt 90% of the time.

A mental person ? Lucky our National coaching team are all perfectly sane... 🤦
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Munkian - yeah too true.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

There is still plenty of time for Tovey to step up to internation level. It is a bit dissapointing that he didn't really step it from the previous season, last year. He has seemed to be on the injured list quite a bit though, so this has hindered him.

I do beleive he will make it as a regular in the Wales team, after the world cup. Biggar seems to have fallen out of favour, Steven Jones will retire(I think) and Hook will play centre.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by dave568 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:24 pm

I've said it before , I'll say it again. Having watched Hook for most of his career, HE IS A BETTER AT CENTRE THAN OUTSIDE HALF.
The calls for him to play at outside half have more to do with Jones seeming inability to get the threequarters moving than Hooks ability to play in the 10 shirt.
To be honest, on current form, I would like to see Priestland at 10 to see if he can get the Wales backs moving as he does for the Scarlets, and thats from an Ospreys supporter!

dave568

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

Tovey has confidence and is a gifted player. I think he still needs to bulk up a bit. he has the cheek that only a fly half has. He just needs more consistency in his game, but there's no doubting he can be Wales 10 and I'd love to see him given the chance.
He carried a constant niggle last season and maybe a team with more resources would have given him a rest. He blamed the injury for (sometimes) his erratic place kicking. The season before however, his place kicking was superb (23 from 23 consecutive kicks at one point and his % was in the 90's. He needs a big season next year and hopefully will gain his first cap. Oh and his vision is excellent and like his old coach, Paul turner, has a good grubber.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

Tovey will be involved come the 6 Nations, he has had bit of injury beginning of last season but finished it in top form and being a leftie is a big plus for him IMO.

I can see next season being mainly bewteen Hook Tovey and Biggar unless Morgan gets game time at the O's
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 30 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Tovey will be involved come the 6 Nations, he has had bit of injury beginning of last season but finished it in top form and being a leftie is a big plus for him IMO.

I can see next season being mainly bewteen Hook Tovey and Biggar unless Morgan gets game time at the O's

Honestly I think it will be between Hook and Priestland after teh world cup, Biggar is going to get ousted by Morgan this season I hope, and whilst Tovey has the talent he does seem to get injured a lot and at the worst times.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:39 am

dave568 wrote:I've said it before , I'll say it again. Having watched Hook for most of his career, HE IS A BETTER AT CENTRE THAN OUTSIDE HALF.
The calls for him to play at outside half have more to do with Jones seeming inability to get the threequarters moving than Hooks ability to play in the 10 shirt.
To be honest, on current form, I would like to see Priestland at 10 to see if he can get the Wales backs moving as he does for the Scarlets, and thats from an Ospreys supporter!

I dont necesarily agree with your point on Hook being a better center, but I do very much concur with your second statement and third.

I agree that Priestland really has been the form playmaker in Wales, he and Knoyle has been far more instrumental than any other halfback pairing. THe only one that came close was Tovey and Evans. Webb and Biggar had their moments too.

These guys are all pretty young and Wales are very lucky to have a large group of young players of that ability all vying for the halfback positions.

I think Tovey is the most gifted out of all the Welsh Flyhalfs, but he needs game time, experience and a good run of form to prove he can do it. He also needs to make the Dragons a better team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:57 am

Wayne Evans gets the ball away sharpish.Not always tidy but usually quick;this gives Tovey a bit more space to create something.Shame he didnt make the squad.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Wayne Evans gets the ball away sharpish.Not always tidy but usually quick;this gives Tovey a bit more space to create something.Shame he didnt make the squad.
He is injured, we can only speculate on what he may have achieved if he had been fit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down