The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jason Roy

+2
guildfordbat
Liam_Main
6 posters

Go down

Jason Roy Empty Jason Roy

Post by Liam_Main Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 pm

He looks to have a bright future in County Cricket and possibly even for England. Do any of you Surrey fans see him getting in Englands line-up in the future? and If so in which form?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Jason Roy Empty Re: Jason Roy

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes, most definitely. All forms. Sooner rather than later.

Jason Roy has bundles of ability and is a scintillating batsman. He strikes both bad and ordinary balls so hard and cleanly.

He is far more than a ''whack it and hope merchant''. However, he can be impulsive which is why he's not yet ready to do himself justice at test level. He could though certainly play t20 international cricket now. He is a very quick scorer who would be a tremendous ''batting finisher'' today at around number seven.

I suspect his best position in all forms of the game will ultimately be at number four. However, he is adaptable and is currently opening with some success despite it not being his natural position.

In addition, he is a superb fielder. Not only can he catch but his run out of Dimi Mascaherenhas on Friday was the best I have seen live or on television in well over forty years of watching cricket.

Am I going too far over board about such a young player? All I can add is that I was fantastically impressed the first time I saw him for the Surrey seconds well over a year ago and have stuck by him ever since. I first sung his praises to the Surrey faithful on the old 606. Although they were very polite about it at the time, I'm sure they had some doubts. Now he is one of the first names down on almost every supporter's teamsheet.

I see no reson why his development cannot go from county to country.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:12 pm

You certainly are the 'Roy boy' of the Surrey page, guildford!

He is a very talented young batsman still at the beginning of his career and I think patience needs to be had in terms of expecting too much too soon. Certainly his strongest form is T20 and 40 over cricket but I think he will be a key player for Surrey in all forms for many years to come. As he develops and gains experience his shot selection and decision making will improve as he has the ability to play any shot he wants. I agree that number 4 will be his ideal position in the future but he is perfectly adept at opening in limited overs cricket, and is a vital part of our batting line up in those formats. As for 4 day cricket, IMO he should be at number 6 while he develops but he has been asked to open the inning and done pretty well considering.

In answer to the OP I believe he will play for England in limited overs cricket in the next 2/3 years. Test cricket is certainly a possibility but all depends on how he goes and what happens with the current side.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:04 am

Seems to me that Roy plays a bit like Kevin Pietersen used to when he was good.

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Give him the England armband now!!!

Le Roi king

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 pm

It's quite hard to make out, but this is his great catch against Sussex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdeF1tqc7hA

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 pm

We need to be careful he isn't turned into another James Benning and that his huge talent is nurtured carefully. He'll have bad spells alongside the good ones and we should be patient. I'd give him a Lions tour this winter and see how he goes. If he shines there then he's on his way. If not, it won't make him a bad player, just an exceptional young one who needs a bit more time before he's ready top step up to the highest level.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 pm

He failed again today while opening, I really wish he was given a chance to develop at 6/7 in the order instead of forcing him to face the new ball. Why can't Ramps open? Would hardly ruin his development!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down