The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imagine You Are Federer

+8
Manojchandra
invisiblecoolers
BuLioli
sirfredperry
noleisthebest
break_in_the_fifth
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
12 posters

Go down

Only One More Tournament Win. You Choose

Imagine You Are Federer Vote_lcap11%Imagine You Are Federer Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
Imagine You Are Federer Vote_lcap21%Imagine You Are Federer Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]
Imagine You Are Federer Vote_lcap21%Imagine You Are Federer Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]
Imagine You Are Federer Vote_lcap47%Imagine You Are Federer Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 19

Imagine You Are Federer Empty Imagine You Are Federer

Post by hawkeye Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

Imagine you are Federer. In your trophy cabinet you have 6 Wimbledon Trophies, 1 French Open Trophy, 5 US Open trophies, 4 Australian Open Trophies and 6 WTF trophies. Its a nice thought isn't it? But don't feel too smug as you don't have any Davis Cup Trophies or any Olympic gold medals for singles. Hard to believe but true!

Now imagine you can only win one more tournament. What would you like it to be?

Last edited by hawkeye on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Imagine You Are Federer Empty Re: Imagine You Are Federer

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

In your trophy cabinet you have 5 Wimbledon Trophies

I believe he wants the Wimbledon above all else, probably 2nd is Olympics for his kids and parents though nobody remembers Olympics when it comes to Tennis trophies.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:06 pm

Previously I would have said wimbledon but he's been rubbish there for the last 2 years. I'm not just going by his results when saying that.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:07 pm

Wimbers, what else...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
In your trophy cabinet you have 5 Wimbledon Trophies

I believe he wants the Wimbledon above all else, probably 2nd is Olympics for his kids and parents though nobody remembers Olympics when it comes to Tennis trophies.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected it.

Sigh there I was imagining I was Federer and I miss counted my Wimbledon Trophies. Its so hard keeping track when you have so many...

I havn't voted yet in this poll as I can't make up my mind.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

Gotta be Wimbledon, where it all started for him GS-wise. Failing that I'm sure he'd settle for ANY GS. Not sure it's gonna happen for him, but let's hope he gives it a go for a while yet.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by BuLioli Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

He might like another US Open, because that would give him 6, and the outright lead in that tournament (Connors and Sampras both have 5).

BuLioli

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:55 pm

I'm surprised! I thought a Davis Cup, an Olympic gold or even a second FO trophy would be the most popular choice. Now that everyones voted for Wimbledon I think I might be changing my mind. That Wimbledon trophy is so beautiful...

Just goes to show how you can be swayed by popular opinion.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

SW19 just sucks you in. Look at Agassi. First he hated it, then he loved it, then he won it. Winning the Olympics there would be extra special but would probably still not match winning a GS Wimbledon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

Wimbledon without doubt. (His favourite, probably most prestigious)

Then French open. (would complete the set of at least 2 of each)

Then USO. (probably 2nd most prestigious in the eyes of most tennis fans)

Then AUS

Then OG

Then WTF (cause he already holds the record with 6)

Then DC.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

Yeah, isn't that an amazing stat - that NO ONE in the Open era has won each slam twice. Makes the Steffi Graf record even more amazing - winning each one at least four times, I think.
Rafa might stop Nole doing it (winning each one twice) and vice versa. Incidentally, just one win in the French will give Fed:
1. Most wins in GS matches (currently tied with Connors)
2. 50 match wins in each of the slams - fairly handy record that

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

Take no pressure and enjoy the game, everything else falls automatically.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

You have a point invisible. I think what I'd like to see from him now is just to produce awesome displays time after time from now and do what he obviously enjoys. It must be fun playing tennis like that. If he could be more detached from the winning or losing side to it and just play his best regardless of things out of his control I think his fans can't ask anything more of him. To be fair he did this until his semi at the AO and provided good displays against Tomic and Del Potro. As long as he can continue to perform like he did there then things look good.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:15 pm

If I were Federer ... chin

Probably the Great Britain Futures Tournament in Newcastle this May. It's on the fast clay you know. Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:You have a point invisible. I think what I'd like to see from him now is just to produce awesome displays time after time from now and do what he obviously enjoys. It must be fun playing tennis like that. If he could be more detached from the winning or losing side to it and just play his best regardless of things out of his control I think his fans can't ask anything more of him. To be fair he did this until his semi at the AO and provided good displays against Tomic and Del Potro. As long as he can continue to perform like he did there then things look good.

Yup BITF, people just read too much into Federer's game and forget he is playing coz he is enjoying the sport, in my view he played very good in AO semi too its just that he doesnt have that stamina anymore to outlast an opponent, he now needs a bit of luck to win a tournament outside his brilliance.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

FO final, straight set win against a healthy player called....

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

Manojchandra wrote:FO final, straight set win against a healthy player called....

that player can never be healthy if he lose, so ur wish will never come true.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

Manojchandra wrote:FO final, straight set win against a healthy player called....

I'm sorry Manojchandra you cannot choose the opponant. That is against the rules of my poll. If you want to change your choice because of this you could try conntacting Y I Man...

I still can't make up my mind what trophy to choose. However because today Wawrinka managed to lose 7-9 in the final set (sigh...) and I'm not quite sure what happened to Federer I'm feeling drawn to that elusive Davis Cup win. Maybe because it appears to remaining more elusive than ever (sigh... again)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:45 pm

I think the only choices are Olympics, Davis Cup, French Open and Wimbledon.

If he only had one to win, I don't think that Australian Open or World Tour finals would get a look in.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:14 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I think the only choices are Olympics, Davis Cup, French Open and Wimbledon.

If he only had one to win, I don't think that Australian Open or World Tour finals would get a look in.

So what would you choose?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:18 am

IMO he'd take a Slam over anything else, then probably OG, then TMC, then Davis Cup.

Of the Slams, Wimbledon, RG, USO, AO in that order.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:02 am

hawkeye wrote:Imagine you are Federer. In your trophy cabinet you have 6 Wimbledon Trophies, 1 French Open Trophy, 5 US Open trophies, 4 Australian Open Trophies and 6 WTF trophies. Its a nice thought isn't it? But don't feel too smug as you don't have any Davis Cup Trophies or any Olympic gold medals for singles. Hard to believe but true!

Now imagine you can only win one more tournament. What would you like it to be?

The greatness of Roger’s records speaks for itself. Imagine You Are Federer 3610695981 Imagine You Are Federer 3610695981 The currently top 2 combined still does NOT equal Roger’s 16 at the moment!! He’s already got the big fat juicy steak sound & save. Olympic and
DC are mere small potatoes. Win them or lose them, gravy won't change the history he’s made.

FO. He almost did it last year. He will succeed this year. The king of clay will be limping with xyz injury excuses and Roger will take him out in the final. You hear it here first. Imagine You Are Federer 810156456 Imagine You Are Federer 810156456

Last edited by CommonSense on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing)

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 16 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

I think he would love to win a gold medal in the singles, but at least he and Stan won a gold in the doubles for Switzerland.

If he was given an absolute choice for just one - pretty sure that it would be another grand slam victory.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

A second FO would be very welcome, IMVHO.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 16 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

laverfan wrote:A second FO would be very welcome, IMVHO.
I agree laver - it would be nice if he could just win one more. Six finals with one win is obviously very impressive especially as each loss has been to one of the very greatest, if not the greatest, clay courters of all time - you sort of feel he has earned another for effort alone in reaching so many finals.

(Thank goodness he did scoop 2009, how sad if the FO had remained a blank on his CV - my fingernails still haven't recovered from the Haas and Del Potro matches!)

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

time please wrote:
laverfan wrote:A second FO would be very welcome, IMVHO.
I agree laver - it would be nice if he could just win one more. Six finals with one win is obviously very impressive especially as each loss has been to one of the very greatest, if not the greatest, clay courters of all time - you sort of feel he has earned another for effort alone in reaching so many finals.

(Thank goodness he did scoop 2009, how sad if the FO had remained a blank on his CV - my fingernails still haven't recovered from the Haas and Del Potro matches!)
The Haas match was surreal; how he lst the first set I still do not know but once the third was his it was straightforward.
Del Potro was another thing entirely, he won thy on guts.

Soldering started as a romp but by the end he was hugely relieved - robin was homing in.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

The whole tournament had that nervy feeling of it was now or never - probably more pressure on him then than at any other time of his career, arguably.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Once Rafa went out of the French in 09, Rog was probably under more pressure than at any other Slam. He knew he would never have a better chance to win RG, yet there then followed - as has been said - two of the most nail-biting matches he's ever played at the top level.
Interesting that sometimes even the greatest players need a bit of luck. Fed's came in the under-par (injured?) performance of Rafa against an inspired Soderling at the French in 09.
Murray had his chance at the AO 11 when he didn't have to pay Rafa and had his one chance (so far) to win a slam without having to beat Fed or Rafa. Wonder if he'll get a better opportunity?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:29 pm

If the FO 2012 draw is Murray-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic, I would fancy Murray giving Nadal a workout before the final. Wink

Good to see the 'old' man, being the only one out of Top 4 playing this week. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

They all get some good, some bad. Things rolled for Fed at RG 09 (inluding a sideline forehand never to be forgotten) but his health issues arguably cost him 6 successive Wimbledons (to Nadals benefit).

I think looking back he'll feel most disappointed at the GF year -he still had it in him to clean up as was usual back then, probably cost him 2 Slams.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

laverfan wrote:If the FO 2012 draw is Murray-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic, I would fancy Murray giving Nadal a workout before the final. Wink

Good to see the 'old' man, being the only one out of Top 4 playing this week. Cool
Do workouts matter any more? When a man can play a 5 hour semi and two days later win a 6 hour final against an attritional opponent I think something has happened to make stamina irrelevant.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

health permitting, sure he will get many opportunities particularly as miles obviously telling on Fed, not sure about Rafa yet, but you would think a few more punishing encounters like the AO and anno domini will begin to tap him on the shoulder too.

I know it was disappointing that Murray lost an epic semi, but the way he lost was very encouraging as was his demeanour after the match - felt he had really grown up this year and hope it will prove to be the beginning of a really positive 2012

Last edited by time please on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting goobledegook!)

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

Main prob for Andy is that we've entered a remarkable run of Slams in which the top four are not showing any signs of wilting before the semis - hence no "easy" or "surprise" opponents in the semis or final. Also, the way the seedings are, Andy can't face Fed who, on paper, is the "easiest" semi-final opponent for him out of the top four.
Same can be said in reverse for Fed, although I still think he'd rather face Djoko in a semi than Rafa, particularly at the French.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 16 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

laverfan wrote:If the FO 2012 draw is Murray-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic, I would fancy Murray giving Nadal a workout before the final. Wink

Please, Please tennis Gods let that be the FO draw. I'm already feeling worried...

As for the "one more tournament win" for Federer. I still havn't made up my mind. So many choosing Wimbledon made me think that would be nice. Two FO's would mean he had won each GS twice. Originally my choice would have been between the Olympics and the Davis Cup...

I wonder if it's too late to change the poll to "two more tounament wins" or maybe three more...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Feb 2012, 6:46 pm

hawkeye wrote:
I wonder if it's too late to change the poll to "two more tounament wins" or maybe three more...

You are 'insatiable', HE. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 16 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm

Has Amritia not bee on today then?

Usually these responses would've been debunked by now .. Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content