The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superbowl XLV

5 posters

Go down

Superbowl XLV Empty Superbowl XLV

Post by GB1919 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 18:20

I was re-watching the game recently (not for the first time either) and had a couple of questions about Green Bay's second touchdown.

1. Would the interception have stood under the new rules that are being discussed. Howard Green obviously got the hit on Roethlisberger but surely this was in the act of throwing, or am I mistaken and 'in the act of throwing' is already a defenceless player and the kind of 'hit' that Green made is allowed?

2. What was the penalty called on Nick Collins? Buck and Aikman claimed it was excessive celebration but what was excessive about it if that was the case, all I could see was him kneeling in the endzone?

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Superbowl XLV Empty Re: Superbowl XLV

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 20:59

2. The penalty on Nick Collins was for "Excessive Celebration" because he "Went to the ground in the act of celebrating"
However, the same situation happens weekly and doesn't draw the flag so I think it was all a bit silly... it was the Superbowl after all and how many defensive players score TD's at the Superbowl! It also made me get very nervous when the yellow "FLAG" sign popped up on the scoreboard and I though it was going to get called back for defensive holding or something!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 21:04

1. (To answer in reverse order) Can't say I would call the penalty under the new rules as "QB in the act of throwing". Main reason is because Keamoeatu and Green we basically pushing each other into Roethlisberger. The fact that it also took place in front of the QB possible lessens the chance of the flag being called. As I said, if this was a penalty I would be pretty peeved as I really don't see it as problem play.

Here's the NFL.com link for anyone who needs a refresh
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81e2b240/Super-Bowl-XLV-Can-t-Miss-Play-Collins-INT-return?r_src=ramp

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 21:54

Thanks for that. I completely agree regarding the penalty on the celebration. I can't really imagine there could possibly be an excessive amount of celebration after returning an interception for a touchdown in the Superbowl. Even though the rules are there you think there might be some leeway in these situations. It also had me incredibly nervous seeing the flags land (even on repeat viewings).

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:57

I thought the penalty was given for delay of game, with them having to set up the play for the conversion? I can't think they would call it for taking a knee, as that happened every week!

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:36

If I recall correctly, didn't he dive in/into the end zone?

The penalty is called for unnecessarily going to ground, and regardless of how draconian you may think the rules are, they can't make exceptions regardless of the circumstances. The rules were made to stop taunting, and as you can't legislate for officials interpretation of the rule, they excluded all excessive celebration.

Hence, its now known by many as the No Fun League. :|

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:39

Personally, I think it's a bit of a pathetic rule. I love the taunting and trash talk and I love the celebrations of Ocho and T.O.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 23 Mar 2011, 12:41

And the American networks love sport on TV that's shows of good wholesome family values. Blame TO and Janet Jackson. Sad

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Thu 24 Mar 2011, 08:52

skins4ever wrote:If I recall correctly, didn't he dive in/into the end zone?

The penalty is called for unnecessarily going to ground, and regardless of how draconian you may think the rules are, they can't make exceptions regardless of the circumstances. The rules were made to stop taunting, and as you can't legislate for officials interpretation of the rule, they excluded all excessive celebration.

Hence, its now known by many as the No Fun League. :|

Nick Collins jumped into the endzone to score the touchdown, otherwise he would have been tackled. It's when he gets back up, runs to opposite side of endzone then goes down on both knees! So it was a correct penalty to give.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down