The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht vs Glasgow Warriors

+7
Mickado
George Carlin
geoff998rugby
Jenifer McLadyboy
Kingshu
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

Connacht vs Glasgow Warriors Empty Connacht vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:23 am

GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY CONNACHT IN THE RABODIRECT PRO12 AT THE SPORTSGROUND ON SATURDAY 18 FEBRUARY (KICK-OFF 5.30PM, LIVE ON BBC ALBA)

15 Peter Murchie

14 Tommy Seymour
13 Troy Nathan
12 Graeme Morrison (Captain)
11 David Lemi

10 Ruaridh Jackson
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Jon Welsh
4 Rob Verbakel
5 Tom Ryder
6 Rob Harley
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES

16 Finlay Gillies
17 Gordon Reid
18 George Hunter
19 Nick Campbell
20 Duncan Weir
21 Alex Dunbar
22 Colin Shaw
23 Calum Forrester

Not considered for selection due to injury: Johnnie Beattie (elbow), Mike Cusack (ankle), Rob Dewey (shoulder), Ed Kalman (neck), Moray Low (knee), DTV van der Merwe (shoulder).

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Connacht vs Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: Connacht vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

Same selection as last time round pretty much, let's hope for the same result. Tough place to get a win, but I'm sure Glasgow won't be lacking for effort.

Let's hope Jackson steps up and starts to deliver. He wasn't good against the Scarlets.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Same selection as last time round pretty much, let's hope for the same result. Tough place to get a win, but I'm sure Glasgow won't be lacking for effort.

Let's hope Jackson steps up and starts to deliver. He wasn't good against the Scarlets.
Thought his place-kicking was particularly ropey - didn't seem that windy an evening?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am

Perfect opportunity for Rob Harley to put his hand up with an awesome display that Robinson cannot ignore

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

Hoping for a Connacht win here, always do.

But it would really help Ulsters play off hopes if Glasgow could start dropping points.

Connacht is always a hard place to go to, will have a full team and Glasgow missing internationals, I predict and hope for a Connacht win.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am

Kingshu wrote:Hoping for a Connacht win here, always do.

But it would really help Ulsters play off hopes if Glasgow could start dropping points.

Connacht is always a hard place to go to, will have a full team and Glasgow missing internationals, I predict and hope for a Connacht win.
Think this will be the measure of how serious Glasgow's playoff ambitions really are, Kingshu - it's the same group of players that did so well at the beginning of the season when the intnerationals were away at the RWC but they need to really step it up again

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

From a Scarlets pov this is a key game in the league. We really need Connacht to get the win otherwise Glasgow are likely to build a bit of a cushion of points above us, what with us highly unlikely to pick up a lot of points this weekend.

The Pro12 is starting to get to the business end now for sure.

Connacht as others have said is such a tough place to go and get a result, would be huge for Glasgow if they could manage it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm

These are the gamse Glasgow need to be winning, if they are to make the playoffs.

But with Ulster, Cardiff and Scarlets chasing them it will be very hard to hang in there till the end of the season.

Personally I think Glasgow will fall short of the play-offs and Ulster will get in there.

But Glagow and Edinburgh have both improved this year under the new SRU guidelines and I see that continueing next year.
The new staium will be a boost, while it can only hold 5000, it should create a better atmosphere that will make people want to come back.

On a side note, are there plans to expand it, Glasgow I think should be aiming for bigger crowds than 5000, within the next few years, is a move back to Firhill or tempory stands a la the RDS the plan for the future?

Think next year will be really tough, Glasgow with a new home, and looking like a better overall squad and less international call ups.

Leinster, Ulster,Munster,Ospreys, Cardiff, Scarlets, Glasgow are will a good chance of making the top 4, 3 sides will be dissapointed.

Hopefully Glasgow with their own stadium will see crowds increase next year.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 pm

That's the great thing about this league now though, that there are 7 teams all with a realistic chance of making the playoffs. Makes this time of the season much, much more interesting!

Also makes it more furstrating depending on what international call ups your teams have Smile

Glasgow are on the up though definitely. They need to finish off this season well, then back it up again next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:From a Scarlets pov this is a key game in the league. We really need Connacht to get the win otherwise Glasgow are likely to build a bit of a cushion of points above us, what with us highly unlikely to pick up a lot of points this weekend.

The Pro12 is starting to get to the business end now for sure.

Connacht as others have said is such a tough place to go and get a result, would be huge for Glasgow if they could manage it.
If myself or my family's vocal chords have anything to do with it....... You'll get fock all. Smile

Kingshu wrote:These are the gamse Glasgow need to be winning, if they are to make the playoffs.

But with Ulster, Cardiff and Scarlets chasing them it will be very hard to hang in there till the end of the season.

Personally I think Glasgow will fall short of the play-offs and Ulster will get in there.

Ulster and Cardiff still in the HC may work against their League campaign. If either or both win their QF.......... I think Glasgow may reap the rewards. They have a few tough away games yet though.

Ulster have to go to Thomond on the last day of the League. Sad

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Ulster finish with Concaht then Leinster then Munster. Someone couldn't have made it much tougher than that.

do you think if Munster and Leinster have 1st and 2nd sown up and no chance of over taking each other or being overtaken, they will lose the games to Ulster on purpose (weakened teams of acamady players?), to have 3 teams in the play offs?

the way I see it the IRFU owning 4 teams have to be careful about such things, especially if they call players up they could be accused of influening the league results.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I find that hugely doubtful Kingshu. There's so much rivalry between all your provinces, there's no chance of a team not wanting to do their damndest to win them, especially not at the end of the season and at play off time. No way. (or I'd very much hope not!)

Scarlets are going to be slightly focused on the Amlin too, so Glasgow really might get a good run of things. The one danger sign though is that Blues have a game in hand over the likes of Scarlets, Glasgow and Ulster. That could prove crucial for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 pm

After Cardiff Ulsters next 5 games are

Home: Ospreys, Aironi, Edinburgh
Away: Treviso, Connacht

Not underestimating anyone but that is a fixture list that really hold the promise of being able to kick on and be in the top 4 before playing Leinster and Munster

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:After Cardiff Ulsters next 5 games are

Home: Ospreys, Aironi, Edinburgh
Away: Treviso, Connacht

Not underestimating anyone but that is a fixture list that really hold the promise of being able to kick on and be in the top 4 before playing Leinster and Munster

Quite true
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 am

No scrum-half cover on the bench for the Weegies? What's happened to the U20 player Murray McConnell? I know that Gregor is still recuperating from 7s duty Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am

Leinster play Ulster the week before the HC semi final. If we’re still involved in Europe at that stage and have 1st place sewn up in the league Leinster will be sending out St Mary’s under11’s to play them.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 am

Hmm, St Mary's U11s vs South Africa - should be quite a good fixture?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:13 am

Not quite South Africa, more like the Diverging Sprinkboks... Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Glasgow should be mortified with how this game has gone - comfortable 10-3 lead, then they stop playing completely, firing pointless drop kicks from half-way, getting YC'ed with no obvious threat for leaping in at the side like a salmon, and slowly the momentum swings to Connacht who bring in it all level at 10 a piece - Lineen should kick this lot round the dressing room afterwards - embarrassing furious

Fortunately wee Duncy is on to calm things down, weegies take the lead with a penalty 13-10

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Finlay Gillies nearly in at the corner, but super play from Connacht to tackle him into touch. Connacht caught napping at the breakground as again a prop makes ground up the middle OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Good to see former Chief players Dave Gannon and Eoghan Grace getting gametime with Connact

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Some kick there to nick a draw

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Connacht have a penalty to draw the match, no more than they deserve tbh - NOC kicks well, 13-13

Glasgow threw that one away, and if they miss out on the playoffs by a matter of points, then they can look back at this game and realise what a dogs breakfast they made of it

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Argh - I was gonna stick a few quid on this for a draw and didnt. Ah well always the way.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Hmm, St Mary's U11s vs South Africa - should be quite a good fixture?

Can't say anything about their U11s but their U13s, U14 and JC sides were all soundly beaten by the wee fella's school before Christmas so that arrangement would suit us just fine. In fact we might reciprocate and send out our U10s just to try to make a game of it.

Very Happy

Is the match at the Sportsground over?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Ye 13-13 Connacht getting a last minute penalty

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 pm

This match report leaves a lot to be desired...

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/12378.php

Not only were Glasgow not 13-3 up with 25 minutes, Declan Kidney and Munster fans will be alarmed to hear it was Paul O'Connell who provided the cross field kick for Connachts try! Shocked
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Temporary contract Notch to ensure he gets some game time ahead of the Italy game, didn't you hear?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 pm

So now its gonna be a load of Sexton/ROG/POC arguments??

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Didn't see the game, but I consider a draw in Galway not a bad result. Certainly a side with playoff aspirations should be winning against Connacht, but without their internationals I think a draw isn't a bad outcome for Glasgow, even taking the match scenario (the late penalty) into account.

It's a shame that Edinburgh can't match Glasgow's knack for picking up points, even playing short of their potential, as Glasgow have done in their last two games (winning at home and drawing away).

Bradley seems to be getting the plaudits for Edinburgh's sparkling style of play and HC performances, but it's Lineen that has built the most consistent side in Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Didn't see the game, but I consider a draw in Galway not a bad result. Certainly a side with playoff aspirations should be winning against Connacht, but without their internationals I think a draw isn't a bad outcome for Glasgow, even taking the match scenario (the late penalty) into account.

It's a shame that Edinburgh can't match Glasgow's knack for picking up points, even playing short of their potential, as Glasgow have done in their last two games (winning at home and drawing away).

Bradley seems to be getting the plaudits for Edinburgh's sparkling style of play and HC performances, but it's Lineen that has built the most consistent side in Scotland.

Correct FES old socks - the only problem is that neither of those teams is complete at the highest level; the only good thing being that Robinson is at last managing to work out that to take the key strengths of each pro team into one international XXII is perhaps not a bad idea.

Incidentally, much as I want to, I can't agree that a draw is a good result for a team with any serious aspirations for a play off place. I cannot help but feel that it's dropped points like these that will cost us in a couple of weeks. Connacht are a nightmare to beat at home, but that's what champions do (and expect to do).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 am

As much as I'd love it I don't see Glasgow as potential champions. I think making the play-offs would be a fine achievement, and in that regard they are effectively competing with Ulster, Cardiff, Ospreys and Scarlets for 2 slots (I don't see Munster and Leinster failing to make it).

I agree, a play-off side should beat Connacht home and away, but with the missing players that Glasgow have to contend with (Cusack, Low, Gray, Kellock, Barclay, Beattie, Cusiter and Hogg), and given that Connacht don't suffer as much, I think in those circumstances a draw isn't too bad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:As much as I'd love it I don't see Glasgow as potential champions. I think making the play-offs would be a fine achievement, and in that regard they are effectively competing with Ulster, Cardiff, Ospreys and Scarlets for 2 slots (I don't see Munster and Leinster failing to make it).

I agree, a play-off side should beat Connacht home and away, but with the missing players that Glasgow have to contend with (Cusack, Low, Gray, Kellock, Barclay, Beattie, Cusiter and Hogg), and given that Connacht don't suffer as much, I think in those circumstances a draw isn't too bad.
fES, you would think that not having seen the game, but trust me, the weegies thru points away with the draw

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Oh well, pity, could prove costly.

Better than Edinburgh though. Sounds like they weren't in with a sniff against the Dragons. Now that's more worrying.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Oh well, pity, could prove costly.

Better than Edinburgh though. Sounds like they weren't in with a sniff against the Dragons. Now that's more worrying.
And that with TWO Vissers in the team...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down