The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation

+5
Union Cane
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Galveston Giant
manos de piedra
Rowley
9 posters

Go down

Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation Empty Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:03 am

I couldn’t help feeling a little disappointed watching Chris Eubank fight. This of course wasn’t justified at all, it was only the kid’s second fight and his opponent turned out to be more game than expected. The fight was close but Eubank edged the decision.

Eubank Jnr. could turn out to be an excellent prospect but I have to wonder how much the pressure of expectation will ultimately affect his career. Rightly or wrongly, carrying his father’s name is likely to draw even more comparisons between father and son, and junior has much to live up to. But is this fair?

Just searching the name Eubank Jnr. online brings up articles talking about Chris “emerging from his father’s shadow” and, interestingly, similar articles are written about another active fighter: Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr. Personally, I think these articles are a little premature, but it’s not impossible for the son to eclipse the achievements of the father - as is the case with the Mayweathers.

So, quite simply, is it fair to compare the achievements of father and son?
And, does the extra pressure of expectation make it more likely for the son to ultimately underachieve when compared to the father?

Back to top Go down

Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation Empty Re: Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation

Post by Rowley Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

It is a swings and roundabouts situation though whilst the name and expectation obviously creates pressure it also opens doors. How many other two fight novices who do not own Olympic gold medals can claim to have had both their fights shown on terrestrial TV, in full with the ring walks,build ups and interviews etc more befitting a bigger star or have been the subject of a three page Boxing News feature as Eubank was last week, would also have to think he would have earned in disproportion to his experience as well.

It may well be unfair to compare father and son, but given journalists and fans are unimaginative it as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning. For me boxing is an unforgiving sport with nowhere to hide ultimately whatever doors the name opens or pressures it creates if you're good enough you'll get there as your Mayweather example ultimately proves.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation Empty Re: Emerging From the Shadows - The Pressure of Expectation

Post by manos de piedra Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

I think this question is usually a two way street. The pressure on the son is alot more and if the father has been very successful then its going to be hard to match that.

But the flip side is your name will get you more publicity, interest and ultimately more opportunities and money. If Eubank Jr didnt have a famous dad would we even be talking about him? Look at how JCC Jr has benefited from having an ATG dad.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

I don't think it is fair and i'll be treating him the same as any other fighter coming through, i may compare them when Jr has finished his career. He seems happy with it though and it looks like Sr will be playing a part in his career.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

Its hard not too criticise his performance when his own "promoter" claimed he was the best middleweight in the country after only one fight haha.

I like the fact he was tested, it can only make him better. A lot of prospects are knocking people out in a few seconds up until there 10th fight.

At least Jr will be wary that he will have to be on his guard even more after Saturdays effort.

Don't like the ring walk/music etc. That was his dads thing. He should create his own.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:54 am

Fair point reborn, Eubank Jnr is hardly a guy who can complain about comparisions with his dad because lets be honest thus far between the music, the vault into the ring and literally emerging from his father's shadow on his first ring walk he can hardly claim to have played the association down can he.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

Let's not forget that he was fighting one handed through injury on Saturday, bearing that in mind criticism of his performance is a little harsh to say the least.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:16 am

Union Cane wrote:Let's not forget that he was fighting one handed through injury on Saturday, bearing that in mind criticism of his performance is a little harsh to say the least.

But he still got himself into a situation where he could have lost the fight. It was a little bit silly to risk his health/record or whatever on going into a fight with an injury. Ok he won, but he shouldn't be so stupid to do that again. He just about got away with it on Saturday.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

He does seem to be encouraging the comparison - good point. I think this could be a mistake although, as mentioned, it will probably open doors for him that remain shut for other fighters. What tune do you think he should be walking in to then, Reborn?

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

MediaCat wrote:He does seem to be encouraging the comparison - good point. I think this could be a mistake although, as mentioned, it will probably open doors for him that remain shut for other fighters. What tune do you think he should be walking in to then, Reborn?

Well the door seems to be already opened for him in regards to publicity in boxing mags and sites. He has a well recognised name. I don't know the guy or what music he is into but Im sure he can think of something other than what his dad used.

Can only see people going off him if he keeps up the entrance he has done in his last 2 fights. He is on terrestial TV being watched by millions who know who his dad is, there is no need to remind us he is a Eubank haha.

But then again, its probably that fat waste of space Hennessy who has encouraged it all.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

Has anyone actually thought that the guy might really look up to his Dad's boxing achievements and uses his music as a "tribute" to him as well as becoming instantly recognisable as a result?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

what a sensitive soul - does mrs bounce wear the trousers in your relationship Wink. I agree with you.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:what a sensitive soul - does mrs bounce wear the trousers in your relationship Wink. I agree with you.

Just about to post the selfsame thing.

We're far too quick to judge and criticise on here. Frankly - Eubank Jr is always in a lose:lose situation - anything he does that isn't incredibly impressive - people will leap on him for something too ostentatious in the ring walks. Its a little ridiculous really.

Much of the hate that goes on Tyson Fury is based on his promoter's words (thought they were supposed to be ridiculous) and the fact that he fights on terrestrial TV.

All of which seems a bit harsh to me.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

Fury could have just hung on to the belts and fought Price if he thought he would win. A fight against Rogan isn't going to generate the money or interest which the Price fight would have hyped.

Are we really supposed to believe that Hennessy gave up Fury's belts. No chance. He took a very disappointing route and nobody can excuse it. Not even his tarmacing fans.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:26 pm

While its unfair to compare father and son human nature tells us we will alway's compare them,

If Eubank jr became a world champ for instance we will still ask the question is he as good as his father.

If you look at other boxing sons Ross Minter,Chavez jr,Tommy Hearns son ,even going back to Marvis Frazier all of these have had big shoes to fill and fall well short of the mark.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Fury could have just hung on to the belts and fought Price if he thought he would win. A fight against Rogan isn't going to generate the money or interest which the Price fight would have hyped.

Are we really supposed to believe that Hennessy gave up Fury's belts. No chance. He took a very disappointing route and nobody can excuse it. Not even his tarmacing fans.

I won't defend him for dropping the belts - even if I understand why he did it. The hate for Fury goes back a lot further than the belts fiasco though Reeborn - you know that.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down