The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man United - Tottenham - Spoilers

+2
sirfredperry
AlexHuckerby
6 posters

Go down

Man United - Tottenham - Spoilers  Empty Man United - Tottenham - Spoilers

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Wrong team won in a way, Spurs played great but United took there chances Spurs have to hold onto that 3rd spot with Arsenal closing, what you lot reckon to the game today?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Man United - Tottenham - Spoilers  Empty Re: Man United - Tottenham - Spoilers

Post by Guest Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

Obviously the right team won. You said it yourself we took our chances, that's what the games about

I do feel sorry for spurs though. Poor refereeing disallowing a goal I thought should have stood, who knows how that could of changed the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:47 am

Was at WHL yesterday. The most recent Man U teams may lack the flair of the earlier SAF sides but they are clinically effective. Sound defence and they take their chances.
Having seen Man City win 5-1 at Tottenham earlier in the season I would have thought that both Manchester clubs would have done really well in the Champions league this season.
But it was not to be despite the fact that both sides defend well and break quickly. It's a bit of a mystery as to why neither qualified for the latter stages, while Arsenal and Chelsea, who have struggled at times, managed to do so.
As for Spurs, the rest of the season could be a struggle. They have Everton away and Chelsea away next, and could end up missing out on fourth spot, let alone third.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

Sir Fred,

Unit'ed inconsistent home form stopped us really, draws at home to Benfica and Basel in games we controlled for long periods, coupled with a nightmare trip to Switzerland.

As for the OP, have a word with yourself fella, football is a game where the winner takes their chances. You can play the slickest, most beautiful passing game ever and still get mauled if you don't take your chances and for all their effervescence, Spurs just didn't capitalise on their pressure whereas United used their knack of getting important goals at critical points once more.

Furthermore, Ashley Youngs goals were good enough to seal any game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

I think the result merely exposed the fact that whilst Harry is a fantastic moticatior and man manager, tactically he is shocking.

Modric; easily one of Spurs best players this year out on the left?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

There is that, too!

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm

gazzyD wrote:I do feel sorry for spurs though. Poor refereeing disallowing a goal I thought should have stood, who knows how that could of changed the game.

I think it was harsh but right, by the letter of the law it should have been given but when the touch helps the ball fall so he can score its a foul its up there with a keeper rushing out and catching the ball with his hand accidentally

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

So what do United fans think of the current style of play of their team ? Granted that this year's challenge is coming from the noisy neighbours, it's not as if winning another title is any big deal for a side that has been champions so often.
So it all comes down to swagger and attacking play. United yesterday did not really start knocking it around and looking really confident until they were 3-0 up. Was the 6-1 City defeat, when they poured forward with 10 men only to concede heavily at the end, an inhibiting factor ?
Many will concede that United were not that exciting last year, either. Say one thing though, they can get the business done. But is it all that entertaining? There is a dourness to their football that has been - mercifully - rarely present under SAF.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

We're a team going through a brief period of transition so the results are all that matters at the moment, we have the odd game here and there that we turn on the style but it's important for the young players to be involved in a winning mentality.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

Id rather us playing ugly and winnig than playing pretty football that goes nowhere Ive always said it that the substance is the better foundation rather than the style

Hopefully we can get Cleverley fit to get his game going I think him Rooney and Carrick and be a great combination with Welbeck or Hernandez as the advanced striker

Apparently Welbeck and Cleverly are on the same wavelength and looking like a pair thatll go far together

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

Marty2086. I quite agree that most fans - nearly all fans - want to see a winning team rather than an attractive one. I merely mentioned the style simply cos this is United we're talking about where not only have they won a host of titles but done it playing thrilling, attacking football.
If it was a side that had never sniffed a championship, I think ALL the fans would accept dour football if that's what it took. Do some of the older United fans yearn for the days of old?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

In previous seasons we haven't been battling with the noisy neighbours so it changes the focus of the team drastically, winning is all that matters this season.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

Well if City don't win it with the number of points they've got this season then perhaps they'll never win it. Either Manchester club would normally be asbolutely miles ahead at this stage with the points they've got. As it is, there's little in it.
Praps I've been spoiled by matches like the 2001 Spurs-Man U encounter (5-3) but one doesn't normally associate United sides with scrapping for points.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Marty2086. I quite agree that most fans - nearly all fans - want to see a winning team rather than an attractive one. I merely mentioned the style simply cos this is United we're talking about where not only have they won a host of titles but done it playing thrilling, attacking football.
If it was a side that had never sniffed a championship, I think ALL the fans would accept dour football if that's what it took. Do some of the older United fans yearn for the days of old?

I think its a team that hasnt yet figured out its best style yet Young and Nani havnt been fit for parts of this season and defensivly we can do better so that foundation for freedom hasnt been there and with so many young players coming in they need to learn that mentality to an extent as it was a big problem earlier in the season especially in Europe

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

Man U are one of those teams who when they play well they win in style and when they play badly they still win. I just think somebody up there likes them. I am neither a fan of Utd or City but I hope City win it because they have been better to watch.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down