The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wales selections...

4 posters

Go down

The Wales selections... Empty The Wales selections...

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

Anyone start to think that this Wales side is a bit negative?

Rushing Rees into the side to help the scrum seems a panic'd move to me, Owens was going well and this type of challenge would really benefit him, I'm sure he'll get plenty of game time but it's not the same.

I understand Phillips gives you something around the park that the other SH's don't but wouldn't Webb have been a more exciting option?

Then theres Williams, after a very good performance V England I really thought he deserved a starting spot, Roberts isn't 100% so why risk him?

I just get the feeling Gatland could've given Owens, Webb and Williams a crack and kept certain players looking over their shoulders, and given us an immensely exciting bench.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

The Wales selections... Empty Re: The Wales selections...

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

Gatland changed way to many a few years back against Italy and it nearly came a cropper so like many I am glad he didn't make wholesale changes.

What I would like to see is that if we have a comfortable lead by half time or just after then use the bench wisely.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

I do agree that it would have been good to see Scott Williams in for Roberts for this one given Roberts' injury and Williams' winning try vs England but can see why he's brought Rees in as we really want our Lions front row up and running for France and Rees needs game time. I wouldn't see any point in resting Phillips at this stage. Agree with Bedford that too many changes would have been an error this time round. We need a good win, continuity and momentum for the France game.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

It's a test match in which we'll be doing our best to win. But from another view, the selectors see this as a training session. They are eager to see the Lions front row get some game time together before facing the powerful French. I might have not had Roberts in the 22 if it was my way. Hopefully he is just there for 40 mins for Scott Williams to come on. JD needs to stay at 13, and that may give Nigel Davies something to think about too.

As for SH, well I think Lloyd might have started if he was not injured. Let Webb come on in the 2nd half though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

Yeah I agree that Roberts could have been rested anyway for this game giving him an extra week before the French game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Definitely. He really stood up in the quarter final. Shame we lost Warbs and A.Jones, we were never going to win from then on.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:15 pm

Morgannwg wrote:It's a test match in which we'll be doing our best to win. But from another view, the selectors see this as a training session. They are eager to see the Lions front row get some game time together before facing the powerful French. I might have not had Roberts in the 22 if it was my way. Hopefully he is just there for 40 mins for Scott Williams to come on. JD needs to stay at 13, and that may give Nigel Davies something to think about too.

As for SH, well I think Lloyd might have started if he was not injured. Let Webb come on in the 2nd half though.

Agree with all that. Slight digression this, but interesting point about JD's and the Scarlets - people generally still say he is a natural 12, but I think since the world cup his game at 13 has come on so much that 13 is now clearly his best position. Though I personally think Scott Williams is also more of a 13 than a 12 as well, his pace and outside break are a bit wasted at 12 and he's not necessarily the best distributor. Odd as they are both generally thought of as 12s by preference. Scott is currently the next in line but if Roberts is injured or rested (or dare I say it dropped) at some point soon I would like to see a combination of Beck at 12 and JD at 13 at some point - perhaps on the tour to Aus this summer.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

Yes. JD's passing was poor for a long time, but it seems to be good now. Perhaps Scott can also improve his distribution. As far as I know, both played 12 and 13 growing up and whilst progressing through academies. Maule has always been 13, not sure about Adam Warren who seems to have featured mostly at 12 for Scarlets (but for some reason Nige had them the wrong way around a few weeks ago!).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down