The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Va va voom missing

+6
Cymroglan
TycroesOsprey
Taylorman
Biltong
TJ1
Weybridge Welsh
10 posters

Go down

Va va voom missing Empty Va va voom missing

Post by Weybridge Welsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Come on guys. Just watched Wales stumble to victory over a pretty average azzuri. Have to admit to being totally underwhelmed. Blame it on greater expectation but just don't have the same optimism going into next weekend's match as I did in block 628 millennium stadium 2005 and 2008. Anybody else getting this feeling?

Weybridge Welsh

Back to top Go down

Va va voom missing Empty Re: Va va voom missing

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:49 pm

Wales might not be playing with the same fluency of 2005 or effectiveness of 2008 but it still could well be good enough for a slam (or championship) this year.

That a 20 point win over Italy (even at home) is slightly disappointing shows that Wales have progressed. Expectations are higher and you aren't always going to hit top gear.

You shouldn't be too depressed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Weybridge Welsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

It just seems like the momentum factor that was building game by game in the other slams is not there this time. On top of that there is a huge question mark at no.10 where Priestland has been misfiring for the last 3 matches. I think Hook should have been given at least 30 mins at 10 today because another hesitant performance from Rhys next weekend will see the championship head over the channel.

Weybridge Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

Italy put in one heck of a defensive performance to nullify Wales.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:04 pm

Weybridge Welsh wrote:It just seems like the momentum factor that was building game by game in the other slams is not there this time. On top of that there is a huge question mark at no.10 where Priestland has been misfiring for the last 3 matches. I think Hook should have been given at least 30 mins at 10 today because another hesitant performance from Rhys next weekend will see the championship head over the channel.
Yeah, there are improvements to be made. There always are. One thing in Wales' favour is that they seem to still be getting the wins when one or two players are off-form. Another plus is that although discipline hasn't been great Wales haven't been caving in during sin-bin phases as they have in the past. Fitness and mental attitude are better along with some fine players coming through.

Right, that's enough compliments for you lot for the time being! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

you aren't giving Italy enough credit here. wales played as well as Italy alllowed them to play, if it wasn't for the yellow card and Priestland kicking turnover possession away a number of times, wales would have maintained momentum and scored more points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:18 pm

biltongbek wrote:you aren't giving Italy enough credit here. wales played as well as Italy alllowed them to play
Agreed. Not all sides can play free-running, try-scoring, record-breaking rugby at home against Italy. (59-13 cough!) Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

safeasmilk, you are fishing mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:safeasmilk, you are fishing mate.
I've just given some major compliments to the Welsh so I figured I was being a little too one-eyed in Wales' favour on this thread. Just trying to be balanced Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:27 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
biltongbek wrote:safeasmilk, you are fishing mate.
I've just given some major compliments to the Welsh so I figured I was being a little too one-eyed in Wales' favour on this thread. Just trying to be balanced Wink

uhuh. I believe you. A million other won't. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

All Wales were missing was a bit more accuracy. They play a high risk all out attack game in the same way many SH sides do.

Sometimes though spin spin spin crash crash crash isnt enough.

Its like they think if we have 30 runs at the opposition at least 3 or 4 have to get through.

But a high risk helter skelter approach can go awry under good defences as italy showed. Wales would do better applyng the pace close in to draw the defences in, commit them. Then spin to stretch the defence.
I just thought they looked so keen to spread the ball the sacrificed accuracy and execution many times. Lost ball, turnover etc.
The passing and handling skills arent as good as their SH equals and it showed a bit even though the speed of the game was right up there, at times faster.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

Im not too despondent really.

Our pack went well in the setpiece outperforming the Italians in the scrum and even in the lineout we managed a couple of steals. It was good to see Charts come on and make a couple of big hits. overall the forwards provided a very good setpiece platform.

The breakdown was dissapointing, the Italians spoiled well whilst never really challenging us at the ruck but we didnt pick and go to tie the defence in and force it to constantly reset before going wide. We did maul effectively though and against the Italian 8 thats no mean feat. However we were constantly being served up slow ball from second phase and needed a couple of the big boys to really start hitting the rucks clearing out and some quick pick and go around teh fringes. Faletau looked like he was struggling today I wasnt suprised when he was subbed for Ryan.

Defensively we wrent stretched at all.

Phillips service was slow today agasint a spoiling Italian back row and when he took it on he had the tendency to become isolated. At the end of that slow service Priestland was hesitant and under pressure. The Italians had a simple gameplan, stop the quick ball and pressurise the halfbacks to limit the ball to our strike runners. They did it very well. However a but more nous at the breakdown and we could have generated the ball our backs need.

our midfield looked a bit ponderous and Im not convinced Roberts was back to full fitness but our wingers both looked for work and Cuthbert deserved his try after all the graft he has put in today.

All in all I think some of the boys were a bit complacent with an eye on the frrench game already. Italy came witha limited gameplan and executed it well but if Wales were a bit more streetwise they would have dealt with it and run in a few more tries sinbin or not. Fortunatly the welsh are young enough to learn from this game and its much better learning in victory than in defeat.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

Four from four what more can we ask for ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

Wales' midfield is unbalanced -- Roberts and JD are not a good pairing. If JR is to play, there must be an all-round footballer alongside him -- someone who can pass/distribute, kick well, has good footwork, a bit of pace, and can tackle. Wales willl really struggle to beat the top 3 with such a pairing. We aren't scoring enough tries.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

Cymroglan wrote:Four from four what more can we ask for ?

Thats true Cymro... shouldnt really forget that. I think Wales have entered that eerie realm of analysing how they win rather than whether they can win. Gotta be a good thing in some as you can bet France will be doing it.

Fair point though. Enjoyed the match thoroughly so well done Wales- may the continuity continue thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:01 am

Weybridge Welsh wrote:but just don't have the same optimism going into next weekend's match as I did in block 628 millennium stadium 2005 and 2008. Anybody else getting this feeling?

That's a good thing, because the last thing we wanted is to blow Italy away and have Wales going out there thinking they can't possibly lose.
This game will focus Wales and the fans a lot more and we will be far more alert and edgy about facing France now.

I can assure you, we are more than capable of beating a French team who have played 3 internationals in 3 weeks, and whom would of had 6 days rest before coming to Cardiff.

To be fair most of this weeks preperation would of been France focused anyway, I think Gatland winged the Italy game a bit.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Weybridge Welsh Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

Good point although I have to reluctantly agree with Paul Ackford who finishes off his article "Wales fret". This is in contrast to last time when the whole country was going ballistic with confidence.

Weybridge Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

Taylorman wrote:All Wales were missing was a bit more accuracy. They play a high risk all out attack game in the same way many SH sides do.

Sometimes though spin spin spin crash crash crash isnt enough.

Its like they think if we have 30 runs at the opposition at least 3 or 4 have to get through.

But a high risk helter skelter approach can go awry under good defences as italy showed. Wales would do better applyng the pace close in to draw the defences in, commit them. Then spin to stretch the defence.
I just thought they looked so keen to spread the ball the sacrificed accuracy and execution many times. Lost ball, turnover etc.The passing and handling skills arent as good as their SH equals and it showed a bit even though the speed of the game was right up there, at times faster.

Almost exactly what i was thinking. I thought that Wales were trying way too hard to punish Italy when they were more better in playing a bit more % rugby and trying to a little more patient. Wales probably have the best attacking game in the NH but it can be very predictable and easy to read.

That said, they are winning which is a great hing for them. I honestly hope that they do what Ireland couldnt do and beat the French for the GS.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:30 am

wales are winning. we are winning well; 7 point win in hq, 20 point win at home. our oposition are aiming to contain wales: scotland, italy, even england at home could only hope to hold us.

wales have been contained, but not stopped from winning

wales are a very effective and efficient test match winning machine.

enjoy it.

Last edited by dogtooth on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:39 am

Good point dogtooth. Teams game plans against Wales are desinged to defend defend defend and that is a very hard approach to break but Wales are doing that and doing it well.

The only team to approach Wales in the way Wales should be approached was Ireland and they nearly saw it home but for a period of 3 minutes when Wales drove beautifully out of their own 22 and into the Irish half winning a penalty. That to me is still the best game of this 6N.

Come on Wales, go get that GS OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down