The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

+46
damngoodOvalball
Islingtonv2
R!skysports
BlueNote
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
slartibartfast
stlowe
Sgt_Pooly
Pot Hale
hugo124
wales606
21st Century Schizoid Man
Gretgael1
Mad for Chelsea
Feckless Rogue
flankertye
thebluesmancometh
BigTrevsbigmac
Barney McGrew did it
SecretFly
beshocked
B91212
tomhughesnice
ChequeredJersey
UlstermaninGlasgow
WELL-PAST-IT
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
lostinwales
mr_stonelea
gowales
J_D
rodders
Glas a du
RubyGuby
screamingaddabs
bsando
Geordie
Liam
Ozzy3213
Notch
Standulstermen
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
50 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Well I think all in all its been a good Six Nations so far, unless you are French where i haven't seen many positives outside of the front row and the inside centre.

That said we all have seen ups and downs in our own teams, positives and negatives.

The exciting thing for all of us rugby fans despite our nationality is the fact that there are some great new players for us to swoon over each weekend and for the future too.

This championship is very much one that alludes to what will happen in the future not the present despite your teams current standing, a very positive championship in that respect that hopefully will be a pointer to the coaches of what they have to work with and what they have to expect over the next RWC cycle.

Who are your stand out players after round 4...?

USUAL GENTLEMANLY RULES APPLY, DO NOT CRITICISE SOMEONE ELSE TEAM SELECTION UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR OWN...!!!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Re: Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by wales606 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

On the Ferris/Lydiate debate.

I would take

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton

over

6. Ferris
7. SOB

(anyone wanting to know why, see the last 2 games between Ireland and Wales)

But I would prefer

6. Ferris

to

6. Lydiate

and im pretty much tied between

6. Ferris
7. Warburton

and

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton

for the Lions.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 4 Empty Re: Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by stlowe Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Is the ball carrier automatically responsible for the turnover though stlowe?

I'd say definately not!

No, but it doesn't change the fact that they don't list turnovers won, just conceded. I was simply speculating as to why that may be.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

I've just seen your comments Blueman:

"I can't beleive anyone put Hartley or Tuilagi into their side, they were both awfull in a very good team yesterday!"

Neither Hartley or Tuilagi were AWFUL.... especially Tuilagi, can't believe you actually put that tbh.

"Davies and Fofana were both dangerous at 13, and with little competition I couldn't pick between them, so Fofana beat Bowe to the wing."

Fofana played 12 and then later in the game when Clerc went off he played wing. He never played 13.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

Sorry but some of these posts I am reading really are just bizarre Erm

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Yes I did say that Rory, All 3 back rowers in Heaslip, SOB and Ferris all love to carry, run supporting lines, attack out in wider channells, and are quick flexible and like to make a big tackle.

These are common 8 attributes no?

There is no breakdown guy, there is no tight muscle and an athletic one in between them. Thats how a lot of back row units are based.

The Wales back row has a better balance than the Irish wouldn't you say? Would another 8 style ball carrier, drift out wide, athlete be what they need at 6?

As I said for me Ferris is arguably first choice at a lions test jersey at present, but there is an argumant for a lesser player to help the unit work better is there not?

SOB has been doing fine as the "breakdown guy" so to speak. He is developing into that role nicely and is not as effective a carrier anymore. You must be watching a different Ferris from me though. As I have said about 10 times before now, all those things you attribute Lydiate as (the "defensive guy") Ferris does, but to greater effect. Plus he offers an option going forward. I think he could make a great 8 actually, but he is quite clearly suited to 6 and does what any good 6 is expected to do. He is world class because he does it better than anyone else right now.

The welsh back row works well because of the welsh backs. If you paired the welsh back row with the Ireland team, they wouldn't be nearly as effective. We need some big guys who can carry there. Wales have those guys in the backs, so they play a very defensive back row. Plus Heaslip is just out of sorts atm anyway. Ferris is the 6 any team would want, and is also very adaptable/dependable.

I didn't think that the lions would pick the entire welsh team but you are making a very good case for it mate...! Ha ha ha...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I've just seen your comments Blueman:

"I can't beleive anyone put Hartley or Tuilagi into their side, they were both awfull in a very good team yesterday!"

Neither Hartley or Tuilagi were AWFUL.... especially Tuilagi, can't believe you actually put that tbh.

"Davies and Fofana were both dangerous at 13, and with little competition I couldn't pick between them, so Fofana beat Bowe to the wing."

Fofana played 12 and then later in the game when Clerc went off he played wing. He never played 13.
#

Never been impressed with Hartley at international level to be honest

Off the top of my head, I can think of 6 Hookers I would rather see on a Lions tour - Best, Ford, Cronin, Rees, Owens and Bennett.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
stlowe wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Ferris was attributed just one turnover.

The turnovers that appear in those stat packages are the turnovers the player conceded, not won. I thought it was turnovers won as well when I first started using those stat sites, but realised that when you totalled them up they matched the turnovers conceded by the team shown in the "match stats" section.

I haven't found a stat package that attributes individual players with turnovers won yet, just the team as a whole. I assume that is because in messy rucks and mauls it's often near impossible to work out the player responsible for winning the turnover, but you invariably know who took it in and was responsible for losing it.

If you read the rest of the post you quoted from you'd see that I stated that Ferris may well have contributed to other turn overs. His tackling was immense. 18 none missed.

I think you might have misunderstood the point I was trying to make maestegmafia. I wasn't really interested in making a point about the individual player, just about what that particular column of those stat packages shows as I thought it had ramifications for all the player stats you listed on the previous page.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm

Yea I'm sure Ferris would never get in that Welsh backrow.....

He'd be warming the bench with Carter, BdP & JOC whilst Lydiate, Priestland, Rees and Cuthbert show them how it's done?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure 3 Welsh hookers would not be ahead of Hartley. He may not be world class but he has this skill of sometimes hitting his jumpers whilst this seems to be trained out of the Welsh lads at an early age.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

Warburton? Doh

If only we were comparing Warburton to Ferris. Warburton has a tendancy to lift in the tackle, it is something he had to work on. Luckily though Ferris isn't in competition for the 7 spot, although I get the feeling you think he'd be better than Warbs there too!

Rory

Just a few questions, I hope you answer seriously...

If SOB has become so good at the breakdown (Iagree he's getting better but is not a natural by any stretch of the imagination) why is Irelands gameplan to avoid the breakdown? Why do they hold up in the tackle for turnover constantly rather than play the breakdown now and then on their terms? Why do they play the offload constantly when it would sometimes be better to drop reset and employ a little more structure?

You are right regarding the defencive back row (ish) and if the Lions goes with Gatland we all know that Roberts, North, Cuthbert, Tuilagi, Bowe Kearney etc will all travel, so by your own terms wouldn't Lydiate be the better option as we don't need any more ball carriers?

Ferris is not an out and out 6, as said by both Ian Mgcheecan, on the last Lions tour and EOS. What he offers is not the traditional 6 attributes.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

Welsh bias on this thread is reaching meltdown level, time to move on boys.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Yea I'm sure Ferris would never get in that Welsh backrow.....

He'd be warming the bench with Carter, BdP & JOC whilst Lydiate, Priestland, Rees and Cuthbert show them how it's done?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure 3 Welsh hookers would not be ahead of Hartley. He may not be world class but he has this skill of sometimes hitting his jumpers whilst this seems to be trained out of the Welsh lads at an early age.

Hartley was a poor example mate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm

Sorry bluesman but there is so much rubbish there I don't actually know where to start. If you truly don't think Ferris has the attributes that the "traditional 6" offers, then you are really in cuckoo land. I don't think you will find one person on these entire forums who will agree with that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

Ireland's backrow is made of individuals, Wales' is a combination - I doubt any Irish fan would argue that.

Ferris, SOB and Heaslip are very similar players, SOB and Ferris are VERY good at what they do (Heaslip not so much these days) - But, they don't work aswell as a unit and don't adapt to different circumstances as well at the welsh backrow.

Ferris, SOB and Heaslip have come second best to Lydiate, Warburton and Faletau two times in a row - and were completely unable to change their tactics for the second encounter.

Ireland have great individuals in the backrow, but are in desperate need on an out-and-out fetcher

6. Ferris
7. Tipuric
8. SOB

Would be a decently balanced backrow for the Irish

Tell you what, you give us Sexton for a bit and you can have Tips (you have ROG after all)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:50 pm

stlowe

Sorry mate my bad!

Pooly your right, it is late, but you know what I mean, in attack generally Fofana runs the 13 lines outside to inside and opposing etc... with Rougerie as the 12 playmaker. Lets not be petty and compare Ferris to Carter, Carter is head and shoulders best in the world in his position, Ferris is arguably top 3/5.

Rory if their that bizzarre just stop typing them mate OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm

Only once actually wales606, and even in that case, we had the underperforming Heaslip and Ferris/SOB being used as battering rams, which was such a one dimensional game plan. They have been so much more effective this 6 nations. The second time, Lydiate wasn't even playing.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm

I think Ferris plays an excellent 6 (better than Lydiate in isolation certainly) but I would be open to the argument that he makes an even better L/R type flanker
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:53 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:stlowe

Sorry mate my bad!

Pooly your right, it is late, but you know what I mean, in attack generally Fofana runs the 13 lines outside to inside and opposing etc... with Rougerie as the 12 playmaker. Lets not be petty and compare Ferris to Carter, Carter is head and shoulders best in the world in his position, Ferris is arguably top 3/5.

Rory if their that bizzarre just stop typing them mate OK

It is hardly me typing them, there you have another one. Rougerie is not a playmaker!! He is a wing playing at 13, and he stays there at 13. Fofana is playing the illusive 12 role, skipping through defences. However he needs to learn when to give the ball more effectively.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm

Rory mate don't pick and choose what you respond to, answer my questions!!!

I can hand on heart say this is not Welsh bias, I have admitted Ferris is a better player than Lydiate, I have admitted that Ferris is one of the best in the world, and in most sides he would start, but there are a few he would unbalance, and Wales would be one of them! He would make some of the best teams in the world though, I think his style would suit NZ and SA really well.

I'm trying to give you guys as much credit as I can, but when your responses just give nothing of interest or thought provoking in return and just keep uttering the same lines over and over I have to deduce your bias is too hard to get over!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Only once actually wales606, and even in that case, we had the underperforming Heaslip and Ferris/SOB being used as battering rams, which was such a one dimensional game plan. They have been so much more effective this 6 nations. The second time, Lydiate wasn't even playing.

Forgot Lydiate missed the Ireland game. Still, the balance of the Irish backrow really needs to be sorted out - Much like with the Ireland team, they play better as units for their clubs (but Jennings isn't the answer, and you can't have Hines)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Rory mate don't pick and choose what you respond to, answer my questions!!!

I can hand on heart say this is not Welsh bias, I have admitted Ferris is a better player than Lydiate, I have admitted that Ferris is one of the best in the world, and in most sides he would start, but there are a few he would unbalance, and Wales would be one of them! He would make some of the best teams in the world though, I think his style would suit NZ and SA really well.

I'm trying to give you guys as much credit as I can, but when your responses just give nothing of interest or thought provoking in return and just keep uttering the same lines over and over I have to deduce your bias is too hard to get over!

Certainly a similar style to Kaino.

Might have better luck replacing Elsom for Aus though, Kaino would be hard to displace, even for Ferris.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Rory mate don't pick and choose what you respond to, answer my questions!!!

What questions are you talking about? I have responded to everything you have asked, but as you say I am uttering the same lines over and over. That is because my answer is still the same, and your analysis on Ferris is just bizarre. It is hard to give anything thought provoking to someone who thinks Ferris doesn't offer the attributes that a traditional 6 offers, and that he isn't an out and out 6.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:00 am

Rory

Look back at the Bowe interception try, Rougerie at 12 playing a pass to Fofana at 13, look at the Croft try, Rougerie outside of Hari, look at the way they set up. He is a converted wing but he very often trades places with Fofana to utilise his pace out wide, they interchange regularly. Mate come on!!!

I agree he isn't a playmaker naturally but he hasn't the pace for 13 any more, he is trying to turn into one as his career progresses!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

If SOB has become so good at the breakdown (Iagree he's getting better but is not a natural by any stretch of the imagination) why is Irelands gameplan to avoid the breakdown? Why do they hold up in the tackle for turnover constantly rather than play the breakdown now and then on their terms? Why do they play the offload constantly when it would sometimes be better to drop reset and employ a little more structure?

You are right regarding the defencive back row (ish) and if the Lions goes with Gatland we all know that Roberts, North, Cuthbert, Tuilagi, Bowe Kearney etc will all travel, so by your own terms wouldn't Lydiate be the better option as we don't need any more ball carriers?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

wales606 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Only once actually wales606, and even in that case, we had the underperforming Heaslip and Ferris/SOB being used as battering rams, which was such a one dimensional game plan. They have been so much more effective this 6 nations. The second time, Lydiate wasn't even playing.

Forgot Lydiate missed the Ireland game. Still, the balance of the Irish backrow really needs to be sorted out - Much like with the Ireland team, they play better as units for their clubs (but Jennings isn't the answer, and you can't have Hines)

Well to me the first thing to realise is we have a weak link right now in Heaslip who isn't pulling his weight. Secondly, I actually think SOB and Ferris have been playing really well together lately, especially against France. Lastly, one of the strengths in how Leinster play is their fast paced style and quick ball, produced by their expertise at the breakdown. Now, SOB has been playing 7 for Leinster in a number of their HEC matches and the results have been the same. So his role at 7 isn't the problem IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:05 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:If SOB has become so good at the breakdown (Iagree he's getting better but is not a natural by any stretch of the imagination) why is Irelands gameplan to avoid the breakdown? Why do they hold up in the tackle for turnover constantly rather than play the breakdown now and then on their terms? Why do they play the offload constantly when it would sometimes be better to drop reset and employ a little more structure?

For the first paragraph, refer to my above post. For the second one, as I have explained so many times already now, no Lydiate wouldn't be the better option for Wales. Because, as I have already said, Ferris does all the defensive work that Lydiate is known to do (yet he is better at it also), except he also offers the option of going forward that Lydiate does not. So why would Lydiate be the better option?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:05 am

I agree with that one Rory, I don't think SOB is the problem, I would definately move Ferris to 8 and get an out and out 6 in Whistle

Just a little point, would you consider the Ulsterman in the back row Henry?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:07 am

There's no point arguing for Lydiate because he's part of a settled combo. We just don't know what combo will be the best on tour. Same as other positions.

I think Roberts/Tuilagi simply has to be tested in training and warmup games, because of the potential devastation they could wreak if they click. If they do click well, then happy days. If they don't, then the settled partnership of Roberts/Davies is proven to be effective. There's also the possibility that O'Driscoll could still be around and performing to a high level. And we know how good Roberts/BOD was.

You just don't know what will work best until they squad has travelled and started playing. That' why when discussing Lions selections, I always just pick the best individual for each position. I see no reason why having the best 6 (Ferris) and the best 7 (Warbs) wouldn't be the best flanking combo.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:08 am

Well your words were along the lines of the welsh backrow plays very defencive and works because of the big boys in the backline. If thats the case it works, and with bigger boys in the backline for the Lions it will work better, Lydiate therefore has a case surely! I would say that if he is to play a test it he would be better off at 8, which I would quite like to see.

And remember I said Ferris is first choice, over and over which you like to ignore for the sake of an argument.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:stlowe

Sorry mate my bad!

Not an issue mate

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I agree with that one Rory, I don't think SOB is the problem, I would definately move Ferris to 8 and get an out and out 6 in Whistle

Just a little point, would you consider the Ulsterman in the back row Henry?

Ferris is an out and out 6, but you know since Heaslip isn't pulling his weight and Ferris is our best option going forward (aswell as our best defender) he would probably be the best 8 available. But since he is our best 6 he should stay there. And yes, I would definitely have considered playing Henry this 6 nations, but obviously Kidney thinks Jennings is ahead of him.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:12 am

Feckless you make a very good point regarding Roberts and Tuilagi, they could be devestating, but don't you think that Tuilagi's weakness is bringing others into the game, the English back 3 now are not in games unless their running back kicks, or supporting up the middle.

Also is Roberts nailed on? I'd like to see how Tuilagi went at 12 and Davies at 13, or even the other way round!

Picking the best players in each position is niaive IMO!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:14 am

I think Kidneys missed a trick there Henry has been excellent this season, and demolishing breakdowns too!

I would consider now SOB at 6, Ferris at 8 and Henry at 7, although pre tourny I wouldn't have thought about dropping Heaslip!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

Have you seen England's lineout stats?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

Or even just Henry at 8, where I feel he is still possibly best at.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:21 am

Not a bad call, but Ferris would struggle at 7 and I want to see SOB at 6 now he has attempted to develop his game and doesn't run around like a headless chicken. I know a lot of people see him as an 8 who couldn't oust Heaslip so settled into a position Ireland were struggling in, but I really think his eventual position will be 6.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:23 am

Rees is a top quality player who is still injured IMO, Owens has done well, and Bennet had a great world cup, but all 3 ahead of Hartley?

I could see arguments for and against, but Ford, Best and Rees will go so I don't think theres a point arguing it.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:24 am

slartibartfast wrote:

Have you seen England's lineout stats?

have you? whats wrong with them?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:25 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Not a bad call, but Ferris would struggle at 7 and I want to see SOB at 6 now he has attempted to develop his game and doesn't run around like a headless chicken. I know a lot of people see him as an 8 who couldn't oust Heaslip so settled into a position Ireland were struggling in, but I really think his eventual position will be 6.

No, I mean just keeping Ferris where he is at 6 and SOB at 7, and Henry just coming in to play 8.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:30 am

Nah Ferris is lacking at 6, plays too much like a winger, and can't do the dirty work, he's all flare no substance, loses games with silly tackles and is made of glass!!!

angel

I think it's time for bed before I go on the wind up...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:32 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Feckless you make a very good point regarding Roberts and Tuilagi, they could be devestating, but don't you think that Tuilagi's weakness is bringing others into the game, the English back 3 now are not in games unless their running back kicks, or supporting up the middle.

Also is Roberts nailed on? I'd like to see how Tuilagi went at 12 and Davies at 13, or even the other way round!

True, Roberts and Tuilagi mightn't gel because their strengths are similar. Roberts/BOD worked so well because they complemented each other. O'Driscoll used his vision, intelligience and reading of the game to maximize the pace and power (and intelligient running) of Roberts. They looked like natural partners pretty much from the start of the last. Far better than the settled combo of D'arcy/BOD by the way. Whistle

I'd just like to see Roberts/Tuilagi, because they could be very destructive. However they could also be lacking in ability to bring others into the game. I don't know. It should definitely be tried. I'm a huge Roberts fan. I'd have him nailed on at 12. Who comes close to him in the 12 jersey?

The nailed on atm for me are

Adam Jones
Richie Gray
Ferris
Warburton
Roberts
North

All world class in my opinion and markedly better than their nearest rivals.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:38 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Feckless you make a very good point regarding Roberts and Tuilagi, they could be devestating, but don't you think that Tuilagi's weakness is bringing others into the game, the English back 3 now are not in games unless their running back kicks, or supporting up the middle.

True, Roberts and Tuilagi mightn't gel because their strengths are similar. Roberts/BOD worked so well because they complemented each other. O'Driscoll used his vision, intelligience and reading of the game to maximize the pace and power (and intelligient running) of Roberts. They looked like natural partners pretty much from the start of the last. Far better than the settled combo of D'arcy/BOD by the way. Whistle

I'd just like to see Roberts/Tuilagi, because they could be very destructive. However they could also be lacking in ability to bring others into the game. I don't know. It should definitely be tried. I'm a huge Roberts fan. I'd have him nailed on at 12. Who comes close to him in the 12 jersey?

The nailed on atm for me are

Adam Jones
Richie Gray
Ferris
Warburton
Roberts
North

All world class in my opinion and markedly better than their nearest rivals.

Disagree with Roberts atm.

North, Gray, Warburton and Jones are the only ones I would say are 99.9% in the 22 (if fit).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:39 am

Have to agree with that, I'd also say that Phillips, Tuilagi, Bowe are nailed on too, not that I necesarily agree with them, but they get the plaudits from the people who count.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:43 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Have to agree with that, I'd also say that Phillips, Tuilagi, Bowe are nailed on too, not that I necesarily agree with them, but they get the plaudits from the people who count.

Bowe maybe.

Phillips is the best option at the moment, but has flaws which could still be exposed over the next 12 months and a youngster could come through (including Williams and Webb for Wales)

Tuilagi isn't nailed on - He will have to fight off JD2 all the way - and perhaps a returning BOD or even Earls.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:45 am

wales606 wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Have to agree with that, I'd also say that Phillips, Tuilagi, Bowe are nailed on too, not that I necesarily agree with them, but they get the plaudits from the people who count.

Bowe maybe.

Phillips is the best option at the moment, but has flaws which could still be exposed over the next 12 months and a youngster could come through (including Williams and Webb for Wales)

Tuilagi isn't nailed on - He will have to fight off JD2 all the way - and perhaps a returning BOD or even Earls.

He'll tour though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:47 am

I'd say Bowe is a frontrunner, but I didn't list him as nailed on because there's a few other top candidates there. Also I'd definitely pick POC, but there's a lot of strength in depth there from all 4 nations.

I have absolutely no problem with the Lions being built around a Welsh core, but as good as Wales are, the Lions could be much better. The very best of four nations will be better than the very best of one nation.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:52 am

I'd argue against building the lions around any team, the last one was a mess as it was a dominant Wales GS and twice as many English over the hill players went.

This time around there are way too many top class players from all four teams that have to be involved. GS aside it would be hard to argue against an Irish English test team at the minute.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:57 am

Let's just say this is not the time for picking. Final week in 6N to come and much more importantly some tours to the SH later in the year. Those games will tell us more than anything in this 6N will.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

Good point fly.

What happens if Wales have a good tour to Aus and win one, infact what happens if they come back and have whitewashed the Ausies?

Unlikely I know, but the players are bound to know that a good performance down under highlights them to what might be the lions coaching team, a whitewash and they would have to be considered.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:06 am

I'm not counting on any European team white washing any SANZAR side on their own turf. If it does happen then we'll have plenty to discuss.

I do like the idea of Ireland whitewashing the All Blacks 3-0 though. I'm off to bed. I'm starting to get delusional.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

Planet Rugby's Selection

15 Ben Foden (England): Exorcised the ghost of last year's World Cup defeat to France with a world-class performance in the number 15 jersey for England. Foden also returned to try-scoring form after rounding off Ben Morgan's storming run.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Wales): A strong-running display against the Italians that deservedly reaped the reward of a late try for Wales. Picked up the man of the match award that was the icing on the cake for the Cardiff Blues speedster.

13 Manu Tuilagi (England): Plenty of power and a turn of pace made him a constant threat at the Stade de France, with his opening try setting the tone for the rest of the match. Arguably one of his most impressive afternoons in an England jersey.

12 Wesley Fofana (France): The pick of France's backs. What a dream Six Nations debut the Clemont star is having... four tries from four outings for the French - enough said.

11 Chris Ashton (England): We were pretty stumped on this one. Ashton gets the nod after relatively quite performances from everyone else in the left wing position. Always in the thick of it, Ashton's tackle on half-way did set up Tuilagi's try which ultimately was a game-changing moment for England.

10 Owen Farrell (England): Another authoritative display from England's young gun on Sunday, typified by some excellent place-kicking. At 20 years old, Owen Farrell has already drawn comparisons with Jonny Wilkinson, and if the prodigiously talented fly-half continues to produce his best form in an England shirt, he could be the man to ensure Stuart Lancaster gets the job.

9 Mike Phillips (Wales): A workaholic display by the Wales scrum-half, who was relentless behind his forwards' heels to set up numerous attacks. Worthy mentions for England's Lee Dickson and Eoin Reddan of Ireland, who are both a tad unlucky to be missing out following top notch outings for their respective teams.

8 Ben Morgan (England): A titanic performance against France by the Gloucester-bound number eight, who roamed the Paris pitch at times as if he owned it. It was a tough call between Morgan and opposite number Imanol Harinordoquy, who played at full throttle from start to finish for Les Bleus.

7 Peter O'Mahony (Ireland): With Sean O'Brien set for a return to Ireland's line-up this weekend, O'Mahony can count himself desperately unlucky if he misses out on a starting spot at Twickenham. The 22-year-old marked his full debut with a purposeful showing, proving he's one to watch for the future.

6 Tom Croft (England): Arguably his best outing at international level since his starring role for the 2009 British and Irish Lions, Croft beats off stiff competition from Ireland's Stephen Ferris and Wales flank Dan Lydiate. Croft scored the decisive try in the closing stages against France to cap the kind of commanding all-round display he has been striving for with England for three years.

5 Donnacha Ryan (Ireland): A man-of-the-match display from Ireland's tall timber after being given the ardous task of filling in for the injured Paul O'Connell. However, he didn't disappoint. Ryan put in a tireless performance - dominating the line-out by winning Ireland clean ball and disrupting the Scots' set-piece. He was everywhere...

4 Richie Gray (Scotland): Scotland may have produced their poorest performance of the tournament in Dublin, but Gray was able to leave the field with his head held high. Without a doubt Scotland's most dangerous attacking player, Gray was rewarded with a try for his efforts. If he wasn't before, the second-rower must now be a certain Lion in 2013.

3 Dan Cole (England): Replaced at half-time when England last visited Paris, but he was a tower of strength this time around in the set-pieces and open play. Also made a telling contribution in defence, with one tackle saving a potential try.

2 Rory Best (Ireland): Wearing the skipper arm band in O'Connell's absence, Best acquitted himself well in the emphatic Irish victory over Scotland. Ireland's stand-in captain courageous led from the front, and helped lay the foundation of the home side's win with his spectacular try early on.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales): Another player handed the captaincy reigns with regular leader Sam Warburton sidelined with injury. Was a rock at scrum-time against the Azzurri, and a constant menace in the loose.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next