The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

+46
damngoodOvalball
Islingtonv2
R!skysports
BlueNote
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
slartibartfast
stlowe
Sgt_Pooly
Pot Hale
hugo124
wales606
21st Century Schizoid Man
Gretgael1
Mad for Chelsea
Feckless Rogue
flankertye
thebluesmancometh
BigTrevsbigmac
Barney McGrew did it
SecretFly
beshocked
B91212
tomhughesnice
ChequeredJersey
UlstermaninGlasgow
WELL-PAST-IT
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
lostinwales
mr_stonelea
gowales
J_D
rodders
Glas a du
RubyGuby
screamingaddabs
bsando
Geordie
Liam
Ozzy3213
Notch
Standulstermen
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
50 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Well I think all in all its been a good Six Nations so far, unless you are French where i haven't seen many positives outside of the front row and the inside centre.

That said we all have seen ups and downs in our own teams, positives and negatives.

The exciting thing for all of us rugby fans despite our nationality is the fact that there are some great new players for us to swoon over each weekend and for the future too.

This championship is very much one that alludes to what will happen in the future not the present despite your teams current standing, a very positive championship in that respect that hopefully will be a pointer to the coaches of what they have to work with and what they have to expect over the next RWC cycle.

Who are your stand out players after round 4...?

USUAL GENTLEMANLY RULES APPLY, DO NOT CRITICISE SOMEONE ELSE TEAM SELECTION UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED YOUR OWN...!!!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Re: Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Hookisms

I agree about Preistland mate, a sharper 9 would take the pressure off a bit, we all know a defence that blitz the 10 is a set defense, which Phillips allows them to be. I also think Phillips delivery is off, Preistland is having to take passes behind him, above his head etc, I don't think he trusts Phillips delivery, he is reluctant to come flat sometimes, and when he stands deep has to stand really deep to give himself time, which makes Phillips pass less reliable etc... round and round we go, thats why I think Phillips box isn't that bad, he probably gets more distance, but if he were better he wouldn't need to as much!

That said he is a weapon in the arsenal, and very good defencively. He's the type of player you want on your team and not in the opposing team.

I wanted to see Williams V Italy, but obviously he had to pull out and Webb isn't ready for int rugby yet.

Aukster

Falatau anonymous??? REALLY? I'd say he's been very solid within a structure he's playing. It would be easy for him to let rip, and start charging around like a wild bull, but he is not allowed. Especially as 2 of his 4 games has been with a rooky next to him, oh and theres the fact he is a kid himself.

asoreleftshoulder

Just out of interest if Wales were to win the slam then go to Aus and win the series 2/3 or maybe 3/3 where would the teams case to start in the lions test stand then? I know theres another year to go, but if the Wales team did manage it?

I am very nervy about the SH teams, we have a poor record against them, and although we have lost the last 12 meetings or so by less than 7 we have still lost. We just tend to come up short these days and I think we need a mental boost with a win somehow.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations - Page 6 Empty Re: Who were your choice players from 1 to 15 in week four of the Six Nations

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Nope, I quite clearly did not make a case for an entirely welsh lions team.

Yes you made a very good case when you posted

maestegmafia wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

The welsh back row works well because of the welsh backs. If you paired the welsh back row with the Ireland team, they wouldn't be nearly as effective. We need some big guys who can carry there. Wales have those guys in the backs, so they play a very defensive back row. Plus Heaslip is just out of sorts atm anyway. Ferris is the 6 any team would want, and is also very adaptable/dependable.

I didn't think that the lions would pick the entire welsh team but you are making a very good case for it mate...! Ha ha ha...

Good thing I don't want the entire welsh back row then isn't it? Or all the welsh backs. There are better players out there you know.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Bluesman - why would Faletau not be allowed to carry ball?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:05 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
asoreleftshoulder

Just out of interest if Wales were to win the slam then go to Aus and win the series 2/3 or maybe 3/3 where would the teams case to start in the lions test stand then? I know theres another year to go, but if the Wales team did manage it?

I am very nervy about the SH teams, we have a poor record against them, and although we have lost the last 12 meetings or so by less than 7 we have still lost. We just tend to come up short these days and I think we need a mental boost with a win somehow.

Just to clarify I put the smilie at the end of the post to show I was only joking.

One win down under for Wales would be a decent showing as it's a tough ask to go from losing consistently home and away to the SH to trying to win a series away from home.I think at the moment it's going to be a Welsh dominated team with a good few Irish,1 Scot and between 1-3 English depending on form.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Rory

You know full well that he has carried plenty of ball, he runs the shoulders and makes the offloads. What he hasn't done is drift out wide to the 15m channels to carry into smaller players, he has stayed in the tight.

The theory goes, the more ball carrying and more tackling you do is forced upon you because of lack of options around you.

Why would Falatau need to carry over and over when the likes of Phillips likes to carry from the base, Ian Evans and Gethin Jenkins offer themselves time and time again, then off the back of the set peice Phillips, Roberts, Cuthbert and North are options at first phase, or 2nd and 3rd return and wide ball.
The Wales gameplan is based around the kick chase game, keep the ball infeild and put pressure on the back 3, then explode on turnover ball.

As with what I told you about Lydiates tackle count, the same premise applies. If Wales dominate ball and territory how does Lydiate get his tackle count up? If Wales have 8 players who are 6'4 plus and carry like monsters how does Lydiate go up getting his carry stats up?

As you rightly stated, the Wales back row plays defencive and plays the odds, they do not get dragged from pillar to post, get caught out wide, or go searching for work for the sake of it. Wales have more ball carriers than any other team in the 6N and arguably the world, why not use them all?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Falatau not Lydiate sorry

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah but while Lydiate's tackle count has been fairly low, Faletau's has been massive. I don't think he offers the same go forward momentum as most other 8s, but as we both agree, maybe that isn't required with the welsh backs.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Falataus has been higher partly due to the set peice too mind.

At the back of scrums we employ a defnce that pushes Lydiate/Warbs outside and Falatau covers their inside shoulder so he always makes more tackles. Also a small point I dislike about Falatau is that he's a tad over eager at the breakdown, he tends to get himself into the guard position and won't give it up to the bigger lads, which is ok most of the time, in the odd occasion it can be detrimental. The Scottish try proves my point, he was duped!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6