The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

+29
Shane_Williams
gregortree
Ozzy3213
HERSH
gowales
BlueNote
Taffineastbourne
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Liam
Morgannwg
whocares
samuraidragon
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
Knowsit17
dragonbreath
Cari
RubyGuby
Cardiff Taffy
eirebilly
lauriehow
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
Woodstock
Biltong
slartibartfast
maestegmafia
33 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who will win?

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Vote_lcap54%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 37 ]
Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Vote_lcap46%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 31 ]

Total Votes : 68

Poll closed

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Empty Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:44 am

First topic message reminder :

Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Date: Saturday, 17 March Kick-off: 1445 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One, BBC One HD, Red Button and online; listen on BBC Radio 5 Live and Radio Wales; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles; watch again on BBC iPlayer

43 games won by each side

Wales have scored one more point against France than France have against Wales.

France

Poitrenaud - Fofana, Rougerie, Fritz, Palisson - Beauxis, Yachvili - Bonnaire, Harinordoquy, (Cap.) Dusautoir - Maestri, Papé - Attoub, Servat, Poux

bench: Szarzewski, Debaty, Pierre, Picamoles, Parra, Trinh-Duc, Buttin

Wales

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips;
Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

Replacements:

Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm; edited 9 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Not happy to see Florian Fritz there, he tends to play well against us.

2006 Sad That day was a choker.

Should be a great day Saturday. I do think we will win, but then I don't know for sure. It will be one tense day though.

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

With Wales’ day of Grand Slam destiny just 48 hours away, Delme Parfitt looks at the selection dilemma facing coach Warren Gatland

If we ever doubted the importance of a match-day 22 as opposed to just a starting XV, then we could well be in for a jolt when Wales face France for the Grand Slam on Saturday.

Warren Gatland has won praise for his selectorial ability, his choices having been borne out more often than not when the highest stakes are up for grabs, even if Wales haven’t always got the results they were after.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/03/15/analysis-the-selection-dilemmas-wales-have-posed-for-warren-gatland-91466-30535273/#ixzz1pBMCJ8iE

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:02 am

It worries me that quite a lot of people seem to be taking it for granted we're going to win (I don't just mean on this website). France have a lot of very talented players, they could easily beat us if they gel properly.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:10 am

BlueNote - Very few welsh fans are taking this for granted - there are nerves everywhere - Its a similar scenario to the England game and if we play near our potential then we have a good chance of winning thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

I'm not sure who you think is taking this match for granted.

I have read mainly trepidation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:13 am

France imo are now more dangerous then they have been at any other points in the tournament. They have nothing to lose 6N's wise, they can just go out and play, and a French team that can do that is sooo so dangerous.

A bit worried they have started with Servat, that guy is incredible.

Think perhaps we need to target Fofana on the wing.

Also maybe having the lush haired hooker (I can't spell his name, please don't make me!) to come on 2nd half might play into our hands, as I think we'll have the stronger bench options.

A close one though, we'll have to be at our best to win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

If France play to the gameplan they had against England, I think we'll win. It seemed very un-French for them to be kicking so much ball. When the keep it in the hand and play off the cuff, they're at their most dangerous.

The key could be defence. I'd say ours is better than theirs - there seems to be more urgency / commitment to keep the opposition out.

Finally, our discipline needs to be good. Yachvili tends not to miss many kicks at goal.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:19 am

Charteris and Evans to start for me.Ryan and AWJ on bench.If Sam doesnt make it my backrow would be Toby,Ryan and Dan with Tuperic on bench.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Charteris and Evans to start for me.Ryan and AWJ on bench.If Sam doesnt make it my backrow would be Toby,Ryan and Dan with Tuperic on bench.
thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

Actually you know what, I just want us to get through a match without having a yellow card!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

It would make a change, wouldn't it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:45 am

It would. We've played a whole 40mins now in this tournament with just 14 men on the pitch, not good enough really.

Taff - agree with those choices OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

I think that we are trying to play Rugby League but 14 players is as close as we have managed,thus far!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:02 pm

If Warburton isn't fit I'd want to see Tipuric start.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips;
Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

Replacements:

Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm

I like that team. A lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

Strong XV, strong bench (although I'd have liked to see Rhys Webb ahead of Lloyd Williams).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

Pretty happy

French look good. Very surprised they are going with Beauxis again???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

Agree good team. Like Luckless said Webb should be on the bench instead of Lloyd

France want the roof opened and they've picked Beauxis, i think we know what they're planning to do

Last edited by gowales on Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

Lets hype this up a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KnkIgFJ1U

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

This one's good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YehLVpBE8&feature=related

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

Beauxis???? Yahoo

Yachvilli is far more dangerous than Dupuy sadly!!

Gutted Servat and Fritz are in I think they are the right call.

This French line up screams of defence mind, Fritz and Rougerie in midfeild to guard against the big running threats, Beauxis boot to get them out of trouble etc...

I have a feeling they are here to spoil, they will be non comital at the rucks and spread wide in defence. I hope we are better at breaking it down!!!

I would be more worried about an experimental french side, that came to throw the ball around and see what we had. If I were in that position I would def start Parra Trin DUc and Picamoles, I would've ditched Rougerie and played Fofana outside Fritz and brought in an out and out winger!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Good call bluesman..!

No one is ever quiet sure what the French selectors are thinking though are they.

That's a very big very experienced pack, good to see the backrow recovered.

Can't wait..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

I fancy the French to spoil the party.

But good luck.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

I have a horrible feeling you may be right HERSH! I certainly won't be suprised if that was the case.

Nerves are at an all time high already, am going to be a complete mess by kick off on Sat I reckon!

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

Me too dreamer, but I have the feeling we are talking about 2 completely different messes!!!

I will be a mess on legs!

It is a very experienced pack, but I just get the feeling it is also a conservative one, as with the backline. I really hope I'm right but I just can't get over the thought that this team has damage limitation all over it!

You know what, I have this feeling and I'm going to put my nuts on the line before the feeling passes in 10 mins and I can see nothing but a humiliating loss...

Wales by 16 - 20!!!!

Shocked

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Unbeaten Wales have also been able to name the same back line for the fifth match running, with the Blues and the Scarlets providing three backs each and France-based Mike Phillips the only player in the starting line-up currently plying his trade outside Welsh rugby.

Previous Grand Slam winning front row Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees and Adam Jones all keep their places to face the French with Jenkins returning the captaincy to his regional team-mate Warburton and Rees winning his 50th cap.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/03/15/captain-sam-warburton-returns-for-wales-grand-slam-shot-91466-30544530/#ixzz1pCKI0gyg

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

Damage limitation might very well work against us though that's t he problem, it almost worked for England and we sure as hell struggled more than we should have against Italy (it was an incredible defensive display from them, if France do the same....we're in trouble!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

I have gone for France in my 6 Nations treble this week. It would be, well, very French of them to pull out a big performance now.

I don't think they will win by much though, and certainly by nowhere near enough to give England a sniff of the trophy later in the day.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

Dreamer

I disagree, Italy defended like France are not able to, Italy sacrificed any attacking threat they had, and I have never seen us be more dominant and in control over Italy. Normally there are a few nervy moments, but I didn't even get out of my seat for Italy!

France will want to attack more than England and Italy looked to, and as shown V Ireland and Scotland thats when we are more dangerous.

I hope France come here to defend though, 1/2p's boot will prove to classy for Beauxis's!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

It's one of those matches that is so completely difficult to call Ozzy, if I were a neutral, I'd be very tempted to pick France as well!

I just so want Wales to win, so we've moved on from the rwc, and I want us to play well too. Haven't been too impressed with us since the Ireland match if I'm honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

thumbsup Where is this great french defence? - the french resistance is non-existant - We will over-power them behind and dump them back in the tackle time and time again - They will crack and we will gorge on what is left thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Bluesman: v good points that about the France and Italian defences, but I dunno, France's defence, especially in and around the ruck area, is exceptional. England and Italy have proven that if they slow Welsh ball down, we struggle to create anything. Also last yr's 6N's, France counter rucked us out of the match, while I don't think they can do that again, they can certainly disrupt us enough to ruin our game plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:10 pm

Ruby - I want some of whatever it is you're taking! Wink OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

I've voted for France here and I've gone for a draw on Sportguru. That gives you an idea how nervous I am about this match.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

I think it's the other way round mate, Italy and England disrupted us without really commting numbers, Italy especially were all over the wrong side of the ruck, and the amount of penalties we conceded in attack will not happen again!

It was the discipline out wider I was impressed with, both teams ran our blitz against us, and we were slow to react, surely that won't happen a third time!

I think the Welsh team will go out there knowing we owe them one and the 2 players who hurt us in the WC are both non starters, Parra and CLERC!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

I think more importantly, we need Adam to last the whole game (twas a massive blow for us when he went off) and we've got Rhys P to help straighten up our backline. Those two were massive losses in the SF.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

Dreamer - Adam won't, he is too big at present, he'll last 60/65!

But by that time we'll be out of sight obviously!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I think that we are trying to play Rugby League but 14 players is as close as we have managed,thus far!

Laugh Taffin sees the lighter side of life.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Pretty much the team expected really and no complaints.

I would have been tempted to start Ownes and Charteris but don't won't to many changes.

We have a strong bench in the forwards.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:we owe them one and the 2 players who hurt us in the WC are both non starters, Parra and CLERC!

How did Vincent Clerc hurt us? By not defying gravity? By not landing on his feet like a cat? Blame Sam Warburton for the red card if you're going to blame anyone.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:40 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:we owe them one and the 2 players who hurt us in the WC are both non starters, Parra and CLERC!

How did Vincent Clerc hurt us? By not defying gravity? By not landing on his feet like a cat? Blame Sam Warburton for the red card if you're going to blame anyone.

I now have that song from the musical Wicked, in my head now. I'm holding you completely responsible!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

If it takes your mind off your knee, Dreamer, I'm happy! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

well, I guess I can forgive you then.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

+1 clap
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

HERSH wrote:

+1 clap

I think we owe Clerc for rolling around on the floor like the worst kind of diving wendyball player. He does it a lot and not just with Wales.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Please let's not start this one up again folks. Move on from the Clerc/Warrburton debate and concentrate on this game, not one that has long since passed.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Please let's not start this one up again folks. Move on from the Clerc/Warrburton debate and concentrate on this game, not one that has long since passed.

no complaints about the red card ozzy, never did have was pointing out a habit of unsportsmanlike conduct by clerc against a nember of sides.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

It would be wonderful to have a match of just pure rugby and no controversial behaviour by players or officials.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

I agree it would be wonderful to have a match of just pure rugby and no controversial behaviour by Welsh players or officials.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next