The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

+29
Shane_Williams
gregortree
Ozzy3213
HERSH
gowales
BlueNote
Taffineastbourne
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Liam
Morgannwg
whocares
samuraidragon
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
Knowsit17
dragonbreath
Cari
RubyGuby
Cardiff Taffy
eirebilly
lauriehow
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
Woodstock
Biltong
slartibartfast
maestegmafia
33 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Who will win?

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Vote_lcap54%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 37 ]
Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Vote_lcap46%Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 31 ]

Total Votes : 68

Poll closed

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Empty Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:44 am

First topic message reminder :

Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Date: Saturday, 17 March Kick-off: 1445 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One, BBC One HD, Red Button and online; listen on BBC Radio 5 Live and Radio Wales; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles; watch again on BBC iPlayer

43 games won by each side

Wales have scored one more point against France than France have against Wales.

France

Poitrenaud - Fofana, Rougerie, Fritz, Palisson - Beauxis, Yachvili - Bonnaire, Harinordoquy, (Cap.) Dusautoir - Maestri, Papé - Attoub, Servat, Poux

bench: Szarzewski, Debaty, Pierre, Picamoles, Parra, Trinh-Duc, Buttin

Wales

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips;
Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

Replacements:

Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:01 am; edited 9 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

I don't get why so many of you are worried?

Wales will win.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced.

Post by Guest Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm

HERSH wrote:I agree it would be wonderful to have a match of just pure rugby and no controversial behaviour by Welsh any players or officials.

Fixed that for you HERSH OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

HERSH wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:we owe them one and the 2 players who hurt us in the WC are both non starters, Parra and CLERC!

How did Vincent Clerc hurt us? By not defying gravity? By not landing on his feet like a cat? Blame Sam Warburton for the red card if you're going to blame anyone.

+1 clap

Urrmmmm, Luckless I think he was fooling around. Headscratch
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:27 pm

Thanks for that dreamer thumbsup

C'mon guys how can Wales lose, stop worrying about this French team they're past their best they have a limited game plan and they can't drop kick.

Ireland should have won, England did, 3rd weekend on the trot at the MS with thousand of passionate fans behind you, they don't stand a chance.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

The team is what most had expected, apart from some places on the bench. I thought Tips was pretty poor against Italy. Some fans must have been excited over the time he almost scored a try. Remember his shocking pass to Ian Evans?

I agree with whocares, some of the French selections seem odd but when that happens they tend to be really good! They have got me nervous now. So they'll be targetting our lineout no doubt and they are also very good at the rolling maul. The centre's are odd, Fritz at 12 with an ordinary Rougerie outside him? When they attack, I think it will be mainly counter-attacking through their back 3.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

We will roll their maul back to Calais - We will pound them, We will slice through them in a brutal fashion holding back all that pent up aggression for what has been a poor 6 Nations for this welsh side so far. We will absolutely destroy any hope that they may have and when we have destroyed it we will flatten them beyond recognition leaving nothing left but a worn out bag of french shoite. Then after the first 15 minutes we can then relax and run a few more trys in enjoying another memorable Slam at the MS - Wales Wales Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

Poor old Care Bear. Trained twice and needed medical attention !
Hope there are enough medics left by Sunday morning to take care of the good people of Cardiff the morning after.
Wales are not only a v good team righty now, but are on that all important 'roll' of momentum. Just cannot see them letting this one slip through their grasp. Wales by 10+

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 15 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

I see StAndrae has made some changes for the game on saturday, Bringing back Yashvile into the team is a good move in my opinion, but would have thought that he(STandrae) would have started Morgan Para, after all when he came on France looked totaly different, a more of a threat.

Regards Wales, it is more or less the side that i thought would of started,
would of thought that Gatland would of started Ken Owens instead of Mathew Rees.

I think it will be a tight game, this just might be the game that France finaly wake up. I do think that Wales will have to up their game to win against France. can they (Wales) do it? yes, will they do it? I have a sneeky feeling France will win.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 15 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

Whilst not underestimating them I don't think the Welsh side will be worried about the French.

I am sure that they know if they go out there and perform well and cut put some silly mistakes they will be to good for France.

Its us fans who seem more nervous
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

Too true Bedford

I think the boys will be relishing the chance to give the French a run for their money. What with tw history and the fact they are so close to winning a third grandslam in eight years.

I can't wait for the kick off.. No matter how nervous I am.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Thu 15 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

dunno why rougerie wasn't shifted to wing, when he was at his best he was playing on the wing.
and im starting to think st andré is ML in disguise, classic mixing and matching players seemingly randomly. Why Malzieu was dropped no idea..
France have so much depth, especially in the backs, what's happened to Heymans, he was very classy, and Michalak (is he playing in NZ or AUS or smthn). All that was missing is for St André to pick Traille and Chabal. Oh and Bastareaud hahahah

its wales' game to lose.

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Shane_Williams wrote:dunno why rougerie wasn't shifted to wing, when he was at his best he was playing on the wing.
and im starting to think st andré is ML in disguise, classic mixing and matching players seemingly randomly. Why Malzieu was dropped no idea..
France have so much depth, especially in the backs, what's happened to Heymans, he was very classy, and Michalak (is he playing in NZ or AUS or smthn). All that was missing is for St André to pick Traille and Chabal. Oh and Bastareaud hahahah

its wales' game to lose.

The amount of players can hinder selection. In Wales we are lucky to have a heirachial system that gears good players towards the welsh national team. Other countries do not have such simple systems.

The system we have seems to be working well for us.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

Is it just me or did it take until the day after the French team was announced before it was even mentioned on this thread? Perhaps I am wrong but thought I noticed that the other day and can't be bothered going back to check now. If that is the case though, perhaps the Welsh on here aren't as worried about the French as they claim to be? Whistle

And before anyone decides that I may be a WUM I am nothing of the sort, look through my posting history and you will realise I have actually never written a WUM, I'm boring that way Smile I just found it strange reading this thread on the day when I thought the French team was announced and nobody seemed it important enough to mention! Think it was Wednesday when it was announced?

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

The French were announced today. They had a number of injury concerns.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

maestegmafia wrote:The French were announced today. They had a number of injury concerns.

Oh ok fair enough, but it was early in the morning then? Because am pretty sure the firt post here about it was earlyish this morning?

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

Yeah just checked was 9:23am today when good oul Who Cares posted it, for some reason I thought it was supposed to be announced Wednesday and then thought it must have been announced then because the post here was so early in the morning Smile

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:09 am

Irishhoneymonster wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The French were announced today. They had a number of injury concerns.

Oh ok fair enough, but it was early in the morning then? Because am pretty sure the firt post here about it was earlyish this morning?

XV France
Revivez la conférence de presse du 15 mars 2012 relative à l’annonce de la composition du XV de France qui affrontera le Pays de Galles, le 17 mars 2012.  

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xpggaf_pays-de-galles-france-conference-de-presse-15-mars-2012_sport

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 16 Mar 2012, 6:23 am

HERSH wrote:I agree it would be wonderful to have a match of just pure rugby and no controversial behaviour by Welsh players or officials.

Back are we? Nice holiday away Yahoo
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 16 Mar 2012, 6:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3hFzpUq6w4

You won't let me down:)
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

From this mornings Guardian.

Six Nations 2012: Wales's land of giants has no room for small wonders
Something is missing from the Six Nations grand slam contenders – the delicate arts once associated with Welsh backs

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sdTRW9CAPu_ze3RtcOrYA_w/view.m?id=15&gid=sport/blog/2012/mar/15/six-nations-wales-giants&cat=rugby-union

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

maestegmafia wrote:From this mornings Guardian.

Something is missing from the Six Nations grand slam contenders – the delicate arts once associated with Welsh backs

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sdTRW9CAPu_ze3RtcOrYA_w/view.m?id=15&gid=sport/blog/2012/mar/15/six-nations-wales-giants&cat=rugby-union

Very thought provoking.
Most fans would swap skill for success but would they admit it?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:12 am

There's been a distinct lack of subtlety to our attacking play, especially in the last couple of games. Yes, we have big, powerful backs, but they're skilful too if we let them express that. The plan at the moment seems to be pretty much bish, bash, bosh; the problem with that is that our last two opponents have shown France that that approach can be largely contained. We'll need to vary our attack tomorrow if we really want to unlock this French defence.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:24 am

What a pile of pants, Roberts score was from a turnover and a well timed pass from priestland. Roberts didn't bosh anyone. Ciuthbert didn'tbosh for his try. They can't help being fast.

I didn't see Scott Williams bosh anyone for his try at twickenham ?

This is just someone's perception and totally ignores the better back row play and crisper passing which is the real reason why Wales are doing well. I'll give him George north though.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

..........remember Georges subtle pass to Williams? Superb skill.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17389846

Talk from the French camp, they're well up for this one. Bit gutted Servat and Bonnaire will be retiring along with Nallet after the tournament though. Some of my fave players right there.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:33 am

Dreamer

That article intrigues me, from a psych point of veiw, they are seeing themselves as underdogs, and as the lesser team. The fact that they want to prove the WC semi was no 'fluke' tells me they beleived they were the lesser team in that game, and by beating Wales their world reacted like it was an upset.

This is far removed from the usual french psyche, they normally believe they are better than us based on their recent history.

I think they're worried...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Worried perhaps, but Imonal does go on to say, that after Sam got carded, The French stopped playing as they thought they'd already got the game won.

I think they want to prove they are better then they appeared that day, and that's a pretty strong motiviating factor.

A worried France is a dangerous France.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

slartibartfast wrote:

What a pile of pants, Roberts score was from a turnover and a well timed pass from priestland. Roberts didn't bosh anyone. Ciuthbert didn'tbosh for his try. They can't help being fast.

Sorry did you just try to claim Roberts is fast?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:

Sorry did you just try to claim Roberts is fast?

He allegedly is very quick, though has rarely proved it. Though he is certainly looking faster and quicker accelerating this championship.

Basics are that he was fast enough to be faster than the opposition..!

Does any faster really matter???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

Hersh, wahahha , glad you are back Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

gregortree wrote:Hersh, wahahha , glad you are back Laugh

How many glove puppet ids has HERSH got ???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17389846

Talk from the French camp, they're well up for this one. Bit gutted Servat and Bonnaire will be retiring along with Nallet after the tournament though. Some of my fave players right there.

I really like that France want to try to prove that their RWC semi final win over a fourteen man Wales was not a fluke.

There is a very big compliment by mes Amis from the other side of La Manche in that statement by Harinourdiquy.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:There is a very big compliment by mes Amis from the other side of the pond in that statement by Harinourdiquy.

Have the French been training in the States this week? Headscratch

Sorry

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Ha ha ha...! No they only got a little bit of Canada and filled it full of strip bars.

Will amend...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

No need to amend, Maesteg, it's Friday afternoon and it's Super Saturday tomorrow! Very Happy

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:59 pm

Tomorrow...!

Godits tomorrow already that only means tonight is gonna last forever, tomorrow morning an eternity...!

Time will pass as Christmas eve does when you are a kid..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

From S4C wrote:

Gwyn Jonse’s thoughts

The Championship has been all but secured – but it’s the Grand Slam we want. Eighty minutes of biting nerves, screaming at the action and maybe even the odd prayer and Wales could be lifting their third Grand Slam in a generation.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

France will enjoy nothing more than to spoil the party and the inclusion of Dimitri Yachvili causes me concern.  He is one of those rare players who can get the game to be played around him. His vision, skill and authority can dominate not just his own team but the opposition too. At his best the game dances to his rhythm and he is able to provide the direction of which this French side is in most need.

Dan Lydiate with his leg chopping tackles will be key to putting the veteran scrum half under pressure. Physically Yachvili could struggle against those scything hits.

Their other major threat is Wesley Fofana in midfield. Through the course of the championship he has grown in confidence and stature. He has devastating pace and obviously a knack of scoring tries. I’d like to see big George North run down his channel to welcome him to Cardiff and see how much he fancies the physical challenge.

WINNING THE CONTACT AREA

The 2005 Grand Slam was wonderful. It was rugby played the ‘Welsh way’. It was non-contact rugby, attacking space not the man. It had moments of genius, which were exhilarating.  But it was also high risk and fragile. Rugby is a collision sport and ultimately to win matches over a long period you must be able to consistently win the contact. South Africa and England have proven that, especially in World Cups.

That is the aspect of play that Warren Gatland has brought. Without subduing the natural flair of individuals, he has made Wales a team capable of consistently winning the battle at the contact area.

That is where international rugby is won and lost and that is why players such as Mike Phillips and Jonathan Davies have been ever present, getting picked instead of other players who offer different virtues.

PREDICTION

I think it will be close. Games of this magnitude often are. Wales are a second half side, which is proven by the points scored in the second period compared to the first. However, three yellow cards in four matches in that crucial second half has disrupted the plans significantly.

We want to see the extra fitness pushing home an advantage rather than being used to soak up pressure, and so discipline will be vital yet again.

Anyone who spends time in the company of the Welsh squad cannot but be impressed by their calmness, their pleasant demeanor and their unbending determination.

I think that by a margin of less than one score, Wales will win the match, seal the championship and deliver a Grand Slam to a proud and jubilant nation.

In the words of the current popular song, “don’t let us down”. They won’t, no matter what.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Re the Locks, i really dont know, there is an excellent case for all the candidates. It would be very tough on Ian Evans to drop him.

Chateris looked great when he cam on, AWJ Jones has been getting back to fitness and starting to look his usual useful self. Ryan Jones has been fantastic as a lock and as a backrow.

What do we do.

I would guess that if Warburton is fit Gats will likely start with AWJ and Ian Evans with Ryan Jones covering and no room for Charteris.

Personally I think I would try out AWJ and Evans to start with Charteris and Jones on the bench at the expense of Tuperic.

Evening posties

Twitchy bum time and I am not even from the land of somebodys fathers Wink

Interesting talking about the locks.........
I think this side is probably better as a balance and man for man than the 05 and 08 slam sides, with the exception of

Shanklin at 13 (such a close call as Foxy is probably overall your best player of the 6Ns so far)

but..... I really think that Ryan Jones (a back three player really) and Charteris are better locks (and should be in your starting 15) than AWJ and Evans who I think under pressure are penalties waiting to happen.

I have a funny feeling the North God is going to have a barnstorming MOM game along with Foxy Davies and Smiler Rees and the SLAM DUNK is yours bretheren

But of course the main game as you know is that earlier "top of the bottom of the tableclash" between the two giants of rugby Whistle

Enjoy the moment chaps it will never come again
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm

Best if luck in Rome mate..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm

"Rugby football is about grace and style

About making the difficult look easy

We fans have long memories, a precise recall of special moments, there are always new stars in the firmament. One myth perpetuates another.

The moment we think that the past is irretrievably lost, we rediscover it." Richard Burton

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sat 17 Mar 2012, 3:04 am

"We are the nation of the possessed where rugby football is concerned.
We identify with our national team more completely than any other nation.

Now again we are in ecstacy"

Richard Burton OK
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:44 am

Love it...!

I'm like a kid at Christmas... Hope you watched Scrum V classics last night. Scott Quinnell's debut season. First time we hadbeaten the French in years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Listening to the build up show on bbc radio Wales

Great show..!!!

Supersticious reasons reflecting who might win this afternoon.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

God this is driving me bonkers, I wish the game was over already Wales vs France Build up Thread - Teams announced. - Page 4 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4