The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva"

+20
The Gramlin
Standulstermen
GunsGerms
Intotouch
Notch
Feckless Rogue
SubsBench
dublin_dave
Rocky
thebluesmancometh
eirebilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
SecretFly
geoff998rugby
MrsP
Portnoy
red_stag
clivemcl
pete (buachaill on eirne)
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many stars would you give the atmosphere for an Irish game in Dublin?

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_lcap28%Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]
Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_lcap42%Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 15 ]
Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_lcap19%Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]
Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_lcap8%Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_lcap3%Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 36

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Empty Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva"

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:36 am

Hi all,

This is a bit of a puzzler to me. Since the old Lansdowne road has been redeveloped Ireland's win ratio there hasn't been good, losing to S.Africa, France twice and England. Leinster on the other hand seem quite at home there when they play there, with a 100% win record in the new ground.

I've been to a few games in the new Lansdowne Road, to the detriment of my wallet, I might add. I went to the game against S.Africa, Samo and France. I've also been to the Leicester and Tolouse games. My opinion is that the atmosphere at the Irish games has been awful. Does anyone else have this view too?

The IRFU have brought in new music, cheesy voiceovers, girls wearing next to nothing waving flags, drums, yet I think the Fields of Athenry was heard for the first time for an Irish team in the new stadium against the Scots. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In contrast to this. The atmosphere for the Irish games in New Zealand was by all accounts unbelievable. The game versus Australia being an obvious highlight but also the Italian game and Irish fans made a good name for themselves.

So if the Irish team is supported well away from Dublin, and Leinster are supported well in Dublin, how come the atmosphere for the Irish games in Dublin seems so poor? Commentators say it, you can notice it on the TV easily, the games I've been to have had poor enough atmosphere.

Thoughts?
Views?
Past experiences?

Back to top Go down

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Empty Re: Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva"

Post by clivemcl Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:39 am

I wentto my first Six nations match against Italy a few weeks back. I had previously been to a world cup warm up match. I figured Six nations would be different. It wasnt.

I was glad to be there, it was a nice experience, but to be blunt. I'd rather have spent my money on two Ulster tickets than one Ireland ticket.

We did get a bit of a mexican wave on the go at a point, which was good craic, but very quiet, even during the anthems. The handful of italians put us to shame.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" Empty Re: Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva"

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

Very poor. I would say 2 stars. It isnt dreadful but certainly below average.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

"We did get a bit of a mexican wave on the go at a point, which was good craic"

Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" 2650018817 Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" 739524634 Atmosphere at Irish Games in the "Aviva" 177851
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

I'm completely with you there Clive.

Do you have any reason why this is the case?
We don't seem to want to urge our team on, they urge us into shouting rather than our shouting urges them into playing better.

I noticed that at the anthems too. I was in the porterhouse for the French game, and "Ireland's call" was played and no one sang, it's not our national anthem I guess but it's in English so EVERYONE knows the words and the tune is pretty catchy. Whatever, no one sang, then the French anthem came on (which as a musician, I must say is one of the best patriotic anthems in the world) and the French in the bar, errupted and we were put to shame again.

Is there any reason why we aren't spurring on our team as much as we used to.
That match versus England in 07 or the one against S.Africa in 06 were unbelievable atmospherically, what has happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:51 am

Stag-

Is there a team who are a developed rugby nation who have worse support at home vocally?

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:08 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Stag-

Is there a team who are a developed rugby nation who have worse support at home vocally?

Nope.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:51 am

That's a sad state of affairs.

This is going to sound awful but....

The reason at times I think the atmosphere can be bad is because there are a lot of very subdued famillies at games.

Husband Wife and two kids kind of scenario and none seem to be that into rugby. Maybe they got the tickets through working in the right place or some such but they sit there mute without a jersey on to experience the occassion while not contributing to it and therefor there being no occassion.
Of course this is very genaralised and only things I've seen in my small pocket of the stadium on the few occassions I've been there

I can remember at one game at half time they were doing a draw thing to give away tickets to an Irish game and the camera panned around and slowly zoomed in on who the person would be to get the tickets.
The camera panned right past some guys painted green with flags and jerseys and St.Patrick outfits and settled on a girl who was far too young to even know what was going on. That kind of thing really grates my nerves I must say.

It's cute and all but the real fans were literally passed by.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

I never got to the old Lansdowne Road so I'll have to rely on you all to tell me but what did the crowd do differently then?

What did they sing?

Is it that different people are going to matches now? Or is it that the new stadium is inhibiting the Irish from being vocal? I doubt it's the acoustics as the Fench fans managed to create an atmosphere when I was there last year.

Has the temporary move to Croke Park left us less willing to shout/sing?

We certainly need a few songs that every Irish fan is willing and able to sing and some folks to get it started.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

It poor, very poor. Croke was poor too.

Too many non rugby fans going
The open end is crap atmosphere wise.

Sad to say our home games have far less atmosphere than Edinburgh, Cardiff or Paris.

In truth we are a candidate for being last of the 6N

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

People who travel to the other side of the world for an event have two things going for them. They have dedication to the sport they are travelling to see...and they have the right temperament to want to go and get value for their money - ie, a good time, a loud and boisterous time.

People who get out of bed and can drive to a game in a taxi or bring the kids to horse riding classes and then saunter the few miles to a rugby game, are a different breed. More grounded, more 'mature' about things...and often afraid to let themselves go for fear that the neighbours might catch a glimpse of them being animals when their daily front is casual chique urbane, preferably in diamonds and gold.

So, first reason is simply that Home crowds are a mix of two distinct peoples whereas Away crowds tend to be more focused and dedicated.

Second reason though is that in an age of many forms of entertainment, people need continuous stimulation to lift the constant yawn of apathy. Most people don't think they owe the world a living but that the world owes them. So they wait to be given reasons to shout and scream and sing.

Up until the Scotland game, the Irish team has being doing little in the way of motivating the lazy crowd to get involved. But if Ireland reclaim Lansdowne as their winning home ground where they turn on the style and the aggression, then I think there is a pretty good chance the crowd will be goaded into finding a more regular mood to match the fireworks onfield.

50 or 60 minutes of turgid defending won't light up Lansdowne. Scotland game is a beacon of hope.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:16 am

One or two myths:

1 - That "the suits" are not rugby fans. If you want to entertain a business client you bring him places he/she want to go. Some of them want GAA matches, some rugby, some to a concert.

3 - That we have no children or blazers at RDS, Thomond or Ravenhill. Heinken Cup is a massive corporate event but it has a cracking atmosphere.

To me the honest answer is that people are more passionate about their province than their country. Its a drum Ive been beating for a while but I think its true. I certainly get happier when Munster won the HEC than when Ireland won the Slam. We see the amount of provincial bickering that goes on in these forums during 6 Nations - this is the attitude rugby fans are taking into the international matches.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

I was surprised on Saturday that after the national anthems, the vast majority (Irish) were largely silent - we had several renditions of Flower of Scotland, some bag pipes, and eventually in the 60-odd minute, Fields of Athenry started up

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

I did notice the lack of atmosphere at the start of the match on Saturday but it got vocal as the match got going.

I have been to the Aviva, LR and CP and have always found it a brilliant atmosphere? Have i been incredibly drunk every time??? I have sat there, sang songs with people from all provinces and had a very good time, everytime...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

MrsP wrote:

We certainly need a few songs that every Irish fan is willing and able to sing and some folks to get it started.

Precisely MmeF -

They were happy to sing Swing Low at Ravenhill.

That could catch on Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

I think the lack of a standing section in the new Lansdowne is a draw back. The Hill was the same kinda thing too. Where people (myself most definitely included) bought the cheap tickets, a couple of pints and we made friends with whoever was beside us and roared until out throats could take no more.

Schoolboy tickets were great for that.

I have to say Stag, that I don't think that all the suits love rugby and even then if you are there with your boss you are less likely to be screaming from the edge of your cushion.

The familly situation is the same maybe the husband would be roaring his head off with the lads but not with his wife and kids there.

I just don't see the point in that familly going in a way. Maybe that's harsh as they have every right to obviously but it seems they are just looking for a day out much like the zoo, a walk on Dun Laoghaire pier or some such thing. I fully admit that not all families support in this way, just the ones I have seen.

There are songs we all can sing it's just people are more nervous about starting them and some won't follow the ones who do start them either.

Maybe I am being cynical and if so I apologise.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

I have been to the Aviva only twice, both for club games.

Leicester being one and Munster being the other.

I thought the Munster game was good, cracking crowd, and all up for a laugh.

Croker was poor, but then I put it down to the size, open ness and the fact that it didn't have a rugby feel, but then I had been there before for an all Ireland semi (I think) and that was much much better!

The crappy music, cheerleaders and such is a virus that has plagued just about all NH stadiu, I mean what does mexican fanfare have anything to do with things?!

Although on a Friday night at the MS the fire and music in the build up does contribute to the atmosphere, of which is like nothing Ive experienced in the NH at least, but I would say that as a Welshman!

There is part of the current MS crowd that annoys me, middle aged women in stupid cowby hats, plastered and screatching non sensical things about players, refs and the game! It's amazing but i never see them at Rodney parade on a wet and windy friday night, or the City stadium? Or Sardis road, I wonder which clubs they support because I tend not to see them anywhere!

Sorry I tend to be hyjacking the thread, back to the Aviva! I think the fact that ticket prices are so high, attracts the wrong type of crowd, and in Dublin rugby tends to be a trendy thing rather than a passion, not for all obviously but most parts of Dublin are awfull to try to watch the rugby. Plenty of young girls sitting with their backs to the screen in Ireland shirts.

First time I went to Dublin was Ireland England in the old Landsdowne last game before the knock down, I went to the pub and couldn't beleive the so called Irish fans, sat on their tables checking their mobile phones, going out for a smoke etc... They were there in body but hearts not so much. I ended up taggin on with a young group of English lads and had a great time, although we were asked to keep the noise down during the game, that has never happened to me anywhere else!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

Could it have anything got to do with the style of rugby that's being played? It's can be quite negative at times with our defense largely dominating. I think the provinces are definitely playing the more exciting rugby. After watching Leinster, Munster and Ulster rip teams apart it can be fairly disheartening to see our back line so clue-less. Still no excuse for supporters not to make themselves heard

Rocky

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:35 am

the performances are a real factor even more so than results. we have played poorly in so many home games and played a "style" of rugby that certainly does not excite and get you out of your seat. line breaks have been at an absolute premium over the last few years and there also has been a lack of intensity in our forward efforts (with the always noticeable exception of England games).

scotland represented a step in the right direction but we must kick on. We played some good stuff on Saturday and there was lots of off the cuff moments of inspiration from Kearney in particular.

International rugby is an expensive day out and to be honest it gives you far less bang for your buck than say the HC supporting your province. The product has been a let down the last 18months with the exception of a small number of games.

Financial reasons are a factor too. Its extortionate to get tickets, buy a drink a burger etc for what a poor game, a cold burger and a horrible beer. even the hot whiskeys are not hot. I enjoy the atmosphere in town on International rugby days but the harsh reality is the match experience is typically the low point of the day.

the make up of the crowd has also changed. everything is very sanitised and its full of families. in terms of banter i preferred when we were no good in the 90's and landsdowne was full of drunken loons : )

best atmosphere for a rugby game in Aviva was Leinster v Toulouse. best atmosphere full stop was the final 20 minutes v Russia in soccer. slim pickings

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

red_stag wrote:
To me the honest answer is that people are more passionate about their province than their country. Its a drum Ive been beating for a while but I think its true.

Therefore? - Who is to blame then?

The thread highlights the lack of atmosphere at Lansdowne for International games. The Provincial fans are the only ones asking the question as I'm sure the casuals don't care - so the questioners are the very guilty party the thread alludes to?

Question then becomes: Why can't the Provincials get animated by a game of rugby where theoretically the very best of the Provincial players play in a common 'club' to take on tribal enemies of old? Why the lack of emotion and the lack of involvement and the dead rendition of Fields of Athenry? The answer lies here, in a forum like this - by people being honest with themselves.

I detect a certain esoteric pride when people suggest Provincial rugby is more important than International. I think for whatever the reasons (and everyone is certainly entitled to their preferences) that Provincial passion verses International apathy is a tragedy.

My idea of a real Irish rugby fan is one who regards each equally. If International rugby lacks that something unexplainable for the Provincial fan - then if might be a good guess that lacking that Provincial fan's support is a big part of the mystery.

Last edited by SecretFly on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:47 am

SecretFly wrote:
red_stag wrote:
To me the honest answer is that people are more passionate about their province than their country. Its a drum Ive been beating for a while but I think its true.

IRFU is the obvious answer. Make the match day a better experience. Promote a new song - Dublin did a great job promoting Molly Malone. There are enough Irish songs out there and people are matches are sheep. its all about not being the one who wants to start singing it seems.

Even give free tickets to a few dozen strategically placed singers dressed as fans who will burst into song throughout the game and get the crowd around them going.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:59 am

ok being completely honest here.

i am equally passionate about both my province and country but get far more enjoyment from watching my province.

granted leinster fans have been spoilt for last few years but watching ireland has bored me and i find our style of play in the main to be turgid and uninspiring.

i also get far more enjoyment as a neutral watching munster and ulster in HC then watching Ireland.

From the bottom of my heart i hope this changes and Ireland start performing with some consistency and continue to score tries like they have this tournament. We have shown glimpses of what we can achieve but we are maddeningly inconsistent. wouldnt surprise me if we do lose comfortably on Saturday

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

I'd argue Ireland are the most consistent team in the 6N of previous years, they generally play to a standard and teams who beat them have to play to a very high standard.

Take this tourny for example, arguably the better team for long periods V Wales, lost by an 80th min pen to the WC semi finalists, then drawing with the WC finalists on their own turf.

Now I know how I sound, but when you compare Irelands team to the Welsh or French...

When was the last time you put in the kind of performance that France did against England, or Italy last year? I'd argue the last world cup in France.

When was the last time the team imploded and ended the tourny with only 2 wins? As Wales did a few years ago.

And from a performance point of view, Ireland are consistently one of the better teams in the tourny, imagine how the fans would react to being wooden spoon contenders year in year out as Scotland and Italy have been recently, and Wales before that? How many times have Ireland been on streaks where they don't score tries, like Scotland and Wales have? How many losing streaks have Ireland been on?

Using performance as a marker is a poor call, especially from one of the most consistent teams in the tourny in recent years!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

dublin_dave wrote:ok being completely honest here.

i am equally passionate about both my province and country but get far more enjoyment from watching my province.

granted leinster fans have been spoilt for last few years but watching ireland has bored me and i find our style of play in the main to be turgid and uninspiring.

i also get far more enjoyment as a neutral watching munster and ulster in HC then watching Ireland.

From the bottom of my heart i hope this changes and Ireland start performing with some consistency and continue to score tries like they have this tournament. We have shown glimpses of what we can achieve but we are maddeningly inconsistent. wouldnt surprise me if we do lose comfortably on Saturday

Yes, for me it all comes back to the style of play. How Ireland inc. plays. The style a nation plays is a brand - it's a brand. People fall in love with brands. They like the label or they don't.

I'd suggest the Provincial brands are successful because they are successful for a start! (Let's see how much passion drifts back to the International side if Provinces start going backwards). But our Provinces are also brands that appeal to the senses. Munster's traditional no-nonsense belligerent aggression/ Leinster's silky smooth running game. People tend to find something to love in those brands. Ulster too are creating a blueprint for themselves, - an identifyable way of playing that gets their fans blood up, gets those fans shouting and then benefits from the adrenaline punch that shouting and passionate involvement can give.

That's why I heavily criticise the cool, methodical, slow and purposeful, not-too-showy, caution-caution defensive game Ireland produce as their brand of the moment.

The brand needs to change and I think the only reason passion is not in the stands is because the Brand doesn't rise heartbeats in a postive way.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm

Sorry to say my Province means more to me.

If Ireland beat England I will be cheering my head off and when we won the Grand Slam I was jumping up and down with beer flowing everywhere (Also lost my glasses in the chaos - couldn't care less)

However if Ulster beat Munster I will be shaking with joy and a few tears will appear. If go onto to win a SF at the Aviva I will be babbling like a 2 year old and Dublin better watch out because anything goes that night for me and thousands of Ulstermen

The passion is just greater pure and simple

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

I should add my provincal team is close to me - I feel part of it.

The National side is, inevitably, moore remote and if I am honest I do feel that to a degree the North is at arms length.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:40 pm

red_stag wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
red_stag wrote:

IRFU is the obvious answer. Make the match day a better experience. Promote a new song - Dublin did a great job promoting Molly Malone. There are enough Irish songs out there and people are matches are sheep. its all about not being the one who wants to start singing it seems.

Even give free tickets to a few dozen strategically placed singers dressed as fans who will burst into song throughout the game and get the crowd around them going.

I have to say that is a great idea. I thought of it before. Some guys who will come into the stadium with the right attitude, sing their hearts out will inspire others to the same cos there is nothing as embarressing as starting a chant and no one joining in with you, been there so many times and pure stubborness and passion has kept me going when maybe I should stop.

A group of 7/10 die hard supporters could really ignite a larger group of about 70/100 if it caught on and I'm sure it would.

I don't think those "families" go to provinicial games as much and that IMO is a reason why the support at those games is better.
Also Ireland paly worse rugby, but nothing gets me going more than Leinster on their own line defending as if their lives depended on it, with every ounce of energy and every collision being a titanic wrestle.

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

I was in the new stadium for Ireland v Wales. I thought that the nature and quality of the game together with the exciting conclusion would have set the stadium alight, it didnt, it was very flat throughout the game. At one point a lone voice started singing the Fields of Athenry, I'd say he was at least 3 blocks away from me but I could hear him clearly, thats how quiet it was. He gave up after the first verse because nobody joined in!

The structure of the stadium makes it feel quite open which isnt really condusive to creating a good atmosphere, in the MS its very enclosed and you feel that you are almost on top of the pitch and this really helps to create an atmosphere (I agree fully with bluesman as to the middle aged cowboy hat wearing women).

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

Well i dont know. I dont see any difference in supporting my province or supporting Ireland. I also dont give two poopies about who is around me (suits or not), i sing and cheer my country on with pride.

Most of the people i am around also seem to be of the same attitude so i guess that i have always been lucky to stand in the good areas.

Dont be ashamed when at a match lads, step up, sing and cheer your heart out for the boys. Make yourselves heard and people will join in. I have no idea why people are being 'supposedly' so conservative.

A few good Culchies at a match will get the cheer going Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

Billy

Where have you been 'standing' in the Aviva???

Just to put your woes into perspective boys I have a funny story from the City stadium (Blues play there, it is not their home)

I am sat in the stadium watching Blues V Leinster last season, I do not want to be there, I refuse to spend a penny (please no pee jokes) in that stadium, CCFC will not profit from my love of the Blues! The tickets were given to me and my nephews of 8 and 10 love to go to games.

The stadium is 3/4's empty as usual, maybe 5k turnout against the HC and ML champs (ish) which we all know is poor but anyway..

Mid way through the first half, games tight the odd point in it, and there is no atmosphere or much noise, I am in conversation with a Leinster fan and his wife, explaining why it's so poor a turnout, politics blah blah blah when the wife sneazes. A quick bless you followed by me about to carry on my discussion when in a faint voice from the OPPOSITE STAND comes 'bless you'

Cue 5000 people burst into laughter and the biggest cheer of the day!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 13 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

haha nice one bluesman.

the millenium stadium is a phenomenal ground when full so at least you have that. Im sure you will find a decent atmosphere in the Aviva if you are over for the HC quarters. Nice spring day in Dublin pub from midday = louder drunken support and good atmosphere. Cant wait personally

The atmosphere at Welsh region home games looks poor in particular at Cardiff alright. Not sure why you even bothered moving to that souless bowl. If you are getting gates of that size you would be better off in the Arms park wouldnt you?

Even Cardiff FC fans are saying it was not a patch on Ninian which though a dump had character

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 5:57 pm

Remember the atmosphere in the new Aviva when we started tearing into England from the 1st minute? It was loud. Remember Ben Youngs was nealry in tears and Flood didn't want to be there. It was fever pitch. That's what the fans want to see. What Irish fans have always loved above all else is aggression and intensity and our team making the other team feel like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world but here. Our provinces give many opposing teams that feeling, regardless of the "style".

I think I remember some ex-English player remarking that the Irish would treat you like royalty off the field, and then kick lumps out of you on the field. And the crowd would be enthusiastically urging them on. Baying for blood would be an exaggeration but not far off. The old Lansdowne had a brilliant atmosphere at a time when Ireland couldn't buy a win. But the team always gave the clear impression that they were giving every ounce of themselves. Back then, like the provinces do now, the teams passion and the crowds passion feed off each other. It's not a one way street. They lift each other.

Now I'm not saying that Ireland should just "give it a lash" like the old days. We still expect quality rugby and results. But the cool, ponderous, confused, cautious way that Ireland play is completely uninspiring and more frustrating than anything else. Frustrating for the crowd and I think for a lot of the players. Seeing Ryan and POM recently grab their chance by the scruff of the neck was great. Their zeal and aggression cheered up everybody who was watching. Everybody was talking about them. But now POM has been dropped because the established player got over his skin rash.

There's a lack of energy about Ireland. POMs enthusiasm should have been rewarded with a 2nd start.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

I'd be happy enough to sing and shout like I do at Ulster games but

a) I'm sitting down- crap for atmosphere, hate sitting down at sporting events.
b) I'd be the only one. I'm surrounded by day trippers and young families.

I want Ireland to win every bit as much as Ulster but at an Ulster match I'm in an environment where you can sing and shout all game. An Ireland match isn't like that, I'd sing the anthems but I wouldn't make much noise apart from that because I know the people around me won't join in. Probably look at me like I've two heads in fact.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

What you need is a terrace around the pitch were all the fans who want to sing and shout will congregate and stands behind that with better views were the families and so on will end up.

Instant solution.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:16 pm

Notch wrote:What you need is a terrace around the pitch were all the fans who want to sing and shout will congregate and stands behind that with better views were the families and so on will end up.

Instant solution.

Like Thomond Park.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

I went to the Ireland v Wales match this year and I really enjoyed it, but then I think I was in a noisy part with lots of Welsh fans. Had plenty of renditions of Hymns and Arias and Sospan Fach. It was a bit quiet apart from that though, but still I enjoyed it, more enjoyable then any of my recent trips to the Millennium Stadium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

But how can it be the stadium itself, if the atmosphere is great in the same place for Leinster matches?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

Notch wrote:I'd be happy enough to sing and shout like I do at Ulster games but

a) I'm sitting down- crap for atmosphere, hate sitting down at sporting events.
b) I'd be the only one. I'm surrounded by day trippers and young families.

I want Ireland to win every bit as much as Ulster but at an Ulster match I'm in an environment where you can sing and shout all game. An Ireland match isn't like that, I'd sing the anthems but I wouldn't make much noise apart from that because I know the people around me won't join in. Probably look at me like I've two heads in fact.

Completely agree notch. I'd be in the same boat. And in the last few games I have gone to I deck myself on green and throw on the facepaint and I scream my head off (got a fair set of lungs) and on two separate occasions/matches a woman in an expensive looking coat with her family turned and gave me a look that made me think she thought I was a barbarian.

These are not the kind of people I want to be sitting with at a match and the kind of people iv never sat with at a Leinster game

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm

"That miserable shyte with the long face next to me won't even get effing involved. An effing reject from the Bodies exhibition?"

The miserable shyte:
"Dear Lord, this guy standing next to me looks so cold I think rigor mortis might be setting in - an effing frown on him like a skinny guy's ass".

I think there should be stickers handed out to those who want to sing and shout. They can stick them on their forehead and that way people will know who they're sitting beside Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:11 pm

The atmosphere isnt great in the new stadium. But whether it was better before is a hard one to quantify. For Leinster games there you have a lot more casual punters who are up for the game and the craic and get involved (a bit like the people who went to the World cup games).

For Ireland matches there are too many of the corporate brigade I think.

Also some of the Munster games in recent years have not had next to near the same atmosphere that the old Thomond park has had so I think its a misnomer to say that its better there.

I went to a couple of the connacht games in the HC and there was a great atmosphere at them...

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm

Well, were I was sitting on Saturday is not the part of the Stadium corporate tickets would be in... Irish people around me where middle aged men, families, young girls. And it was pretty quiet apart form the lads from a Scottish rugby club in the adjoining block.

The lads from about 18 - 30 are priced out of test matches, they'd probably make the most noise!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:24 pm

Corporate brigade is a catchall phrase (so incorrect by me). I guess what I mean is that the tickets are still distributed by clubs while the provinces have mostly moved on from this way of distribution. This means that there is a mixture of the corporate brigade and club afficionados who might not necessarily be as involved in the provincial scene and are more casual in terms of the games they go to while still being strongly involved in the club scene (if you get what I mean). The irish games are a day out for them but emotionally they might not be as connected to the team as others on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 13 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

I got a free ticket last year to an international and was amazed by the quietness of the crowd around me. Talking to them I quickly discovered that most of them also had free tickets. These were fantastic seats, six rows back and only me and the little girl next to me were singing or shouting. She was English.

Serious fans make an effort to see their team. Corporate and complimentary tickets bring in people who think it would be nice for a day out. The price also excludes many who really love the team but can't afford it. This is my theory anyway to explain the dull atmosphere.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

I think most of us seem to be in a kind of agreement that the Irish games attract more people who aren't as interested in the rugby in comparisson to games at provincial level.

I'm sure the IRFU give out free tickets to companies, my girlfriend works in an auctioneers and they get free tickets, my friends dad works in a funeral service and he gets free tickets (albeit he is an actual sports fan) he still however may not cheer considering he will be there with colleagues.

Does anyone know how many seats there are in the new Lansdowne compared to how many seats are VIP or corporate?

The IRFu really has balls-ed it up for sure. The new stadium so far has been a failure.

May right a letter to the IRFU linking this thread, would anyone prefer if I didn't?

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:39 am

Reminds me of a game at Croke park where they guy next to me asked me to point out which one was BOD and which one was ROG.

He then preceeded to be an 'expert' on the game for the next 80 mins - yer right steam

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

My last point is actually a factor in why I prefer Ulster games.

90% of those there are passionate Rugby fans.

For an Ireland game it feels more like 50/50.
The crowd lack passion at Ireland internationals and it shows.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:42 am

Pete, they aren't bothered about atmosphere once they're done counting their money.

Although it seems so many free tickets are given away I'm not sure how that works Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

geoff998rugby wrote:My last point is actually a factor in why I prefer Ulster games.

90% of those there are passionate Rugby fans.

For an Ireland game it feels more like 50/50.
The crowd lack passion at Ireland internationals and it shows.

Completely agree.
How have the IRFU messed it up so bad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Sorry but i find this thread rather negative. Maybe some of you should start singing and bring the 'so called' missing atmosphere with you?

As i have said ealier, i love my province but i love Ireland as well so when i am at any match i cheer them both on as loud as i can.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:46 pm

Depends on the match. The atmosphere for Ireland v England 6n last year was better than any other I've seen. Atmosphere v Wales this year wasn't great.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next