The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer press conference after Nadal win

+4
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
Tenez
CAS
8 posters

Go down

Federer press conference after Nadal win Empty Federer press conference after Nadal win

Post by CAS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

I have heard a few people mention comments made by Federer after his match with Rafa, but it wasn't in any of the articles so I had a search and I found the interview. Its quite interesting, he talks a bit about the mental struggle he has with Nadal and also talks about his match with Isner in the Davis Cup.

The link to the whole press conference is below, I have taken out the question about Rafa as it was quite far down.

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Roger-Federer-Semifinals.aspx

Q. Just following up on that, you have had some great wins against Rafa, but obviously some tough defeats. When you go out into a new match like tonight, are there any doubts walking on court, or you say, No, new match; my game is gonna work and if I execute I'll be fine?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, I have had doubts in the past against Rafa. It's just normal, I guess. If you get destroyed like in the finals of Paris, next time you play him around, which for me unfortunately was the Wimbledon finals, that epic one we had, of course you'll be affected a little bit, even though now you are on your favorite surface potentially.

But it did take maybe potentially take me a set or two to shake that off, and then it cost me the match in the end. So sometimes I've gone into matches with Rafa where I knew it was gonna probably gonna be difficult at this point because either maybe he's coming in on an incredible hot streak or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par.
I've maybe come through some other matches against other players, but against Rafa it's a different story. So tonight I felt good about my game. I guess I had a no lose mentality. You know, I've not felt great this week. I didn't expect myself to play so well tonight, and this is sometimes when you can pull off the biggest wins of your career.
That's where I'm happy I gave myself a chance this week.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Federer press conference after Nadal win Empty Re: Federer press conference after Nadal win

Post by Tenez Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Yes - He talks about the mental side but bewtween teh lines he says also that therearematch he was not expected to win cause "because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par".

So in fact there is little we can draw from that piece.

It's like the 2008 FO defeat. He felt he did not have it in him to win. SO it can be seen as a mental collapse...but only because physically he may not have felt he had it in him.

As most of their clay matches have been pretty close, I tend to believe that the FO defeat was essentially down to physique even if the score reflects a mental collapse.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Federer press conference after Nadal win Empty Re: Federer press conference after Nadal win

Post by hawkeye Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

Tenez

I don't think we should count 2008 FO and Wimbledon as losses for Federer. Do You? It's not fair when Nadal insists on playing him not only when he is not feeling right but also when his game is not upto par. I think that sneaky Nadal is "evil" to take advantage of poor but "good" Federer in this way. What do you think?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

hawkeye wrote:Tenez

I don't think we should count 2008 FO and Wimbledon as losses for Federer. Do You? It's not fair when Nadal insists on playing him not only when he is not feeling right but also when his game is not upto par. I think that sneaky Nadal is "evil" to take advantage of poor but "good" Federer in this way. What do you think?

I think you have a problem (maybe when it comes to Nadal) as I am not sure what you are talking about.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Semifinals.aspx - Nadal press conference, quite interesting as well

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

Tenez

That's funny! I was thinking the same about you.

I'm very sorry CAS for going off topic but sometimes I can't help myself...

Thank you for both links. I'de been looking for the Nadal Federer post match press transcipts but couldn't find them anywhere.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

Tennis transcripts -
http://www.asapsports.com/showcat.php?id=7

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Thanks Cas and backs what I said yesterday about Federer's change in fortunes against Nadal - a far better mental state and approach to the match coupled with enhanced self belief.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

Definitely agree CC. The break point conversion rate is indicative: 4/6. I'd love to see when the last time was when Federer had a similar conversion rate against Rafa. I believe the rate @ the Wimbledon '08 epic was 1/14, horrendous in comparison. I'd suggest being unable to convert break point opportunities in an indication of a problem more than just physical (although perhaps that can be a factor...). We'll have to see if this self belief will continue when they play next.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

CAS wrote:
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, I have had doubts in the past against Rafa. It's just normal, I guess. If you get destroyed like in the finals of Paris, next time you play him around, which for me unfortunately was the Wimbledon finals, that epic one we had, of course you'll be affected a little bit, even though now you are on your favorite surface potentially.

But it did take maybe potentially take me a set or two to shake that off, and then it cost me the match in the end. So sometimes I've gone into matches with Rafa where I knew it was gonna probably gonna be difficult at this point because either maybe he's coming in on an incredible hot streak or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par.

A straightforward assessment by Fed. Cant see him talking about physical steam mysteries. Maybe I do not understand English but he seems to say some days Nadal was simply too good for him and FO final left a lasting impact his psyche. Maybe somebody with a refined taste in tennis and better grasp of English language can enlighten us.

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

No 10IS, your english is perfectly fine. It's just that you do not want to read what federer says. So It's there again in bold....
or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

Tenez wrote:No 10IS, your english is perfectly fine. It's just that you do not want to read what federer says. So It's there again in bold....

or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par.

does that mean Nadal won only because of his physical brutal talent-less game?

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

10IS wrote:
Tenez wrote:No 10IS, your english is perfectly fine. It's just that you do not want to read what federer says. So It's there again in bold....

It just means that you want to read what suits you.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

Tenez wrote:
10IS wrote:

It just means that you want to read what suits you.

Thanks. I was looking for that confirmation for a long time. You have opened my eyes and enlightened me.

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:31 pm

Tenez, it's extremely clear in the article that this is referring to a mental issue if you read the whole comment. He is referring to how the Paris match affected the Wimbledon final. After three short sets at the FO, it was obviously not going to affect how physically a month later. He is clearly talking about confidence. It is so clear.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

Tenez, it's extremely clear in the article that this is referring to a mental issue if you read the whole comment. He is referring to how the Paris match affected the Wimbledon final. After three short sets at the FO, it was obviously not going to affect how physically a month later. He is clearly talking about confidence. It is so clear.

Sorry for intruding HB but I think I already know the answer: The mental issue would not be there if Roger had not been "destroyed" . And he got destroyed because the talent-less Nadal is too physical. Bottom line: Nadal is physical and talent less. laughing

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:03 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

Yes I see he is referring to the mental issue here but he is as clearly referring to some physical issues to leading to those mental issues. I have hilighted the parts. 2008 is the year he had mono and says after his FO09 win (remember this interview hehas with l'equipe ina taxi leading to the airport) how much it had affected his preparation for FO 08 and Wimbledon. That I think is the mental challenge he faced at that time. And if you read the whole interview it's also why he says that mentally being sick most of the week in IW it coudl have affected him mentally but just played well for reasons v Nadal for reasons he can't quite explain.

You are trying to separate the mental side from the physical, which certainly can be the case when the physique is no issue, but against Nadal it's always an issue and a big one. That's why this FO 08 collapse doesn;t look any of the other clay encounter they had.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down