The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions?

+27
GavinDragon
Woodstock
BigTrevsbigmac
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
TrailApe
red_stag
doctor_grey
fa0019
The Great Aukster
doctornickolas
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
SecretFly
Taylorman
Biltong
Shifty
majesticimperialman
Comfort
Notch
glamorganalun
RubyGuby
HERSH
Cardiff Taffy
maestegmafia
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
Pot Hale
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions? - Page 3 Empty Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions?

Post by Pot Hale Tue 20 Mar - 3:10

First topic message reminder :

He's a Kiwi. He's touchy. He's grumpy. And he's managed to get Wales to a semi-final in the RWC and to the top of the 6 Nations tree in 2012.

He's the only coach that the British & Irish Lions managment are likely to select since they said it would be based on 6N form.

Welsh players like and respect him. But would he get the same response from Scottish, English and Irish players to bind them into a Lions team that can compete and win next year in Australia?

[Edit]

To clarify, I'm not questioning as to whether he'll get time off from the WRU - they've already said they will accommodate him.

I'm not questioning the fact that he's a foreign coach (the Kiwi comments was intended as a joke). He's got the best creds of the 6 Nations coaches, with probably Lancaster the second best given 6N results.

The question is whether he has the ability as Head Coach - and the guy who'll make the final call on the touring party - to get the British and Irish Lions to cohere and compete as a team. Does he command sufficient respect and can he get buy-in from players from other nations besides Wales?

Last edited by Pot Hale on Tue 20 Mar - 5:06; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions?

Post by Taylorman Wed 21 Mar - 2:02

fa0019 wrote:GavinDragon

On the contrary IMO... I think it will be more difficult for Gatland than Henry... why, because the Welsh players in 01 could hardly have had large expectations due to them coming last in the 6N that year (of the home nations)... this time they will go in as one of the largest contributing sides with many egos to consider. What happens if Faletau gets excluded for Morgan (very possible given both are playing very well at the moment), Powell for Youngs, Farrell for Priestland? 12 months is a long time in rugby.

Whilst Wales have done well this season, ENG are well up there and I find it perculiar that bloggers continue to disregard ENG players... they are the top rated team in the NH, lost out to a GS by the smallest of margins and the last 10 mins vs. Wales..... yet most non english bloggers put 1 or 2 players in their 22 at best.

How can Healy deserve a starting berth when he is now continually dominated by most props? Other looseheads have a better all round game too so you won't start him for that either.

With ENG and WAL very close in terms of quality and only 30 places on tour as well as IRE being strong in many departments I doubt any team will dominate selections (if chosen on merit alone rather the Andy Powell defence i.e. so and so is a good bloke and people find him humourous which is good for tour morale).

Well henry lost his series in the last 10 minutes as well but that doesnt seem to matter so cant see why england nearly winning is seen as a positive.

When clearing the wood for the trees the entire problem being confirmed here is the inference that people in this position cant act and think objectively and that somehow the results prove his.

Henry gets blamed for selection problems yet scw is 'unlucky' for playing a clearly out of form jw? go figure.
England did it again last year. Couldnt decide on a 10 because of blinkered vision.
As stag says. Best person for the job and no single person on the planet is better qualified.

Should someone else go and fail the excuse this time will be regardless of how they lose that Gatland should have been coach. And theyd be right.

NH rugby is saturated by external sources for its power- both playing and administrative. More so than any other area worldwide. It depends on and gets results because of it. Look at Leinster...and now Mark Anscombe with Ulster.

To then declare the lions coach position as off limits is hypocritical and nonsensical. With any coach and more importantly the uniqueness that is the lions trust is required and failing to go with the best person for the job will ultimately be seen as naive and in all honesty...dumb. And dumb isnt the best way to be when taking on the SH.

Far to much narcissism going on here. Of course players will miss out. There are four players in each of the 15 positions now. Combinations across the four are untried so any Lions team is by definition at an immediate disadvantage on tour.

Thats why the best person for the job is required.

Last edited by Taylorman on Wed 21 Mar - 3:51; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Warren Gatland the right coach for the Lions?

Post by Taylorman Wed 21 Mar - 2:05

Fix typos later... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 21 Mar - 2:09

offload wrote:Everyone thinks this is Gatlands to turn down. I hope not - in fact I hope they give it to Geech and that Gatland goes as "senior" coach. Worked before and can work in Australia, only this time with a series win. thumbsup

I dread these threads now (The Lions ones)............ for fear of hearing the name Geech!

Once more onto the Breach, Geech!

Will someone let that man retire gracefully and believe that there is actually someone else alive in the world right now that can take a group of players to Australia and win a three game series. I do always laugh at what the SH must think.... "Oh here they come again - the Geech mob, with their pools, the jokes, their farmer tans and seismic hopes."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 21 Mar - 9:07

I think Gatland will be appointed as head coach (even if he thinks they can't afford him).

Gatland may look to harmonise the coaching team more by selecting Kidney, Edwards, and Rowntree. Wilkinson or Wotsiface from Wales on kicking.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3