The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU

3 posters

Go down

High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU Empty High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU

Post by mystiroakey Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/25933.php.

i sent my CV- being english should be good enough.

Wumming aside, Doesnt it all seem abit deseprate.International Rugby is becoming coach mental- surely its more about the development at the clubs where the players play week in week out and the role of an international set up to just pick the best!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU Empty Re: High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU

Post by Glas a du Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

You don't understand the Irish set up then if that's what you think. I don't claim to, I'll be blunt, but I know that's not the way things are done out there.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU Empty Re: High performance scrum coach needed at the IRFU

Post by mystiroakey Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I think you are misunderstanding the point i am making glas.

This is about debate- what do you think!

not a question about how the irish do stuff!

My opinion as to why they are calling for a high performance srum coach is to appease fans after the dismal display v england! However shouldnt they be more worried about who they are picking rather than trying to 'magically' transform what they have ..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

But they haven't got anybody else to pick. Hayes is retired, Buckley is too tall and the Provinces have mainly non Irish Qualified players at Tight Head. It is not an instant problem. They decided they wanted tall tight heads for lifting in the line out and were prepared to sacrifice scrummaging ability. The Provinces either bought in tight heads or developed that type of player. Their selection policy over a 12 year period (dictated to a large extent by the IRFU central contracts) is now coming home to roost. If they do get a specific coach he is not going to be able to magic up good props overnight. Not that long ago (just over a year in fact) Ross was not that sure of his place in the Ireland side. Now he gets injured and their whole team falls apart.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Glas a du wrote:But they haven't got anybody else to pick. Hayes is retired, Buckley is too tall and the Provinces have mainly non Irish Qualified players at Tight Head. It is not an instant problem. They decided they wanted tall tight heads for lifting in the line out and were prepared to sacrifice scrummaging ability. The Provinces either bought in tight heads or developed that type of player. Their selection policy over a 12 year period (dictated to a large extent by the IRFU central contracts) is now coming home to roost. If they do get a specific coach he is not going to be able to magic up good props overnight. Not that long ago (just over a year in fact) Ross was not that sure of his place in the Ireland side. Now he gets injured and their whole team falls apart.

Eh no tall props was not a policy it just happened that the only semi talented props we produced happened to be tall.

This position is not for scrum coach of the national team,that's already fulfilled by Greg Feek.The person who gets this job will be responsible for the development of props countrywide.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

...only semi talented props we produced happened to be tall.

Fair enough, but your fellow country men confidently informed me before the '09 Lions tour that the benefit of tall props (John Hayes) in the line out (for lifting) outweighed any marginal prejudice in the scrum and that it was a selection policy to develop tall tight heads! If they were wrong I can only apologise for them.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah they were wrong and while it was an argument that had some weight it still depended on the tall prop being able to hold up a scrum (hayes could,Buckley couldn't)

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down