The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Squad for Summer Tour

+19
Imperialbigdave
tigertattie
RDW
sensisball
George Carlin
KickAndChase
Knowsit17
SGD prop
TJ1
nickj
alexgmacdonald
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
MacKnocked-on
Scot Abroad
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland Squad for Summer Tour Empty Scotland Squad for Summer Tour

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Only 75 days until the first game of the summer tour against Australia in Newcastle NSW (5 June 2012). I was thinking the other day about who’d be included in the squad and who would be left out. Robbo took 27 players on tour in 2010, so I’ve been looking at roughly 30 players for the tour given that it’s 3 games instead of 2, split 17 forwards and 13 backs.

Let’s start with the squad for the last 6N game

John Welsh
Ross Ford
Goeff Cross
Richie Gray
Jim Hamilton
John Barclay
Ross Rennie
David Denton
Scott Lawson
Euan Murray
Al Kellock
Ritchie Vernon

Mike Blair
Greig Laidlaw
Sean Lamont
Graeme Morrison
Nick De Luca
Max Evans
Stuart Hogg
Chris Cusiter
Ruaridh Jackson
Jack Cuthbert

Now this needs some revision as there are a few players who shouldn’t be taken on tour, plus a few will be returning form injury and some youngsters who should be given the chance to prove themselves. I’ve always said that we need these young guys to have 20+ caps by the time the next WC comes around.

Potential squad additions:

Forwards
Kelly Brown (injured)
Al Strokosch (injured)
Rob Harley
Chris Fusaro
Ed Kalman
Moray Low
Alan McDonald
Stuart McInally

Backs
Lee Jones (injured)
Joe Ansbro (injured)
Rory Lawson (injured)
Harry Leonard
Matt Scott
Tom Brown
Jim Thompson
Tim Visser
Duncan Weir
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennet

So what do the Scottish supporters on 606 think about the potential squad. Who would you include? Any suggestions for players I’ve not mentioned?

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Scotland Squad for Summer Tour Empty Re: Scotland Squad for Summer Tour

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

The Scotsman suggested last week that Robinson was actively trying to recruit Tom Heathcote the young Bath stand-off and possibly also Brendan McKibbin of the NSW Waratahs (a scrumhalf).
The article inferred that Heathcote might even go on the tour if he commits.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

The Herald also had an article a couple of days ago suggesting that McKibben would be replacing Blair at Edinburgh. It may be worth getting him along for a Shingler style meeting with the team. While there's been talk of him not being good enough to get a regular game in the Super15, would any of our current crop of 9s do any better. I doubt it.

Heathcoate would be a great poach. He's been impressive when I've seen him this season.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

Problem is the Giant T8T that is Robinson will select and coach !

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

There was an article in the Scotsman a while back saying it would be a 34 man tour squad and I think it has been upped to 4 tour games. I am sure the 4th game is going to be against the Waratahs but not sure if that has been confirmed or not.

At the moment the squad i would take on tour would be
props
Welsh
Jacobson,
murray
cross
low

hookers
Ford
McArthur
Lawson

Locks
Gray
Hamilton
Kellock
Gilchrist

Back Row
Strokosh
Harley
Rennie
Fusaro
Denton
McInally
Brown(if fit)

SH
Laidlaw
Blair
Cusiter

Stand Off
Weir
Jackon

Centre
Scott
Ansbro
Grove
De Luca

Wings
Visser
Jones
Evans
S Lamont

FB
Hogg
Brown

A few players that will probably be ruled out by injury i would take like Rory Lamont, Kelly Brown will be a doubt too I would think.

My starting xv would 1. Welsh 2 Ford 3. Cross 4. Gray 5. Hamilton 6. Harley (if brown injured) 7. Rennie 8. Denton 9. Laidlaw 10. Weir 11. Visser 12. Scott 13 Ansbro 14 Jones 15 Hogg
16 McArthur 17 Jacobson 18 Kellock 19 Barclay 20 Blair 21 Jackson 22 S Lamont

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:14 pm

Props: Welsh, Grant, Cross, Low, Shiells
- no space for Chunk, he's going to be retiring soon, nor for Murray, enough of being held hostage to his beliefs

Hookers: Ford, MacArthur, Thomson
- Lawson pushing on a bit so he misses out

Locks: Gray, Hamilton, Kellock, Gilchrist
- I'd like to take a look at McKenzie too, but not sure whether to leave out Hamilton or the ruck inspector or neither and forget Fraser

Back Row: Harley, Rennie, Fusaro, Denton, McInally, Brown
- I'd maybe leave Barclay and Stroks at home to rest up and come back next season regenerated, plus hope that Beattie finds his mojo in the south of France

SH: Laidlaw, Blair, Cusiter

Stand Off: Weir, Leonard, Jackson

Centre: Scott, Ansbro, Grove, King, Bennett
- no summer tour for De Luca, he's on the naughty step

Wings: Visser, Jones, Evans, S Lamont
- Maitland if we can persuade him to sign up!

FB: Hogg, Brown

Squad of 35

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

ASBO - pretty much on the same page.

I'm coming round to your thinking on Euan Murray, happy to leave him out provided Murray Low can play well for Glasgow between now and the end of the season.

I'd keep Scott Lawson ahead of Fergus Thompson, only really because of Ford's new found throwing jitters (we can't afford to miss lineouts like that so I'd want Lawson on the bench).

Locks, back row and half backs fine.

I'd take a slightly different bunch of centres: Scott, Grove, Ansbro and NDL (using Leonard as cover at 12 if needed).

I'd add Jim Thompson to make up my 35.

The real key for me is getting Weir and Scott to play as much together as possible.

The matchday 22:

1.Welsh 2.Ford (c) 3.Cross 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Brown 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Weir 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Ansbro 14.Jones 15.Hogg

16.Shiells 17.S Lawson 18.Gilchrist 19.Harley 20.Laidlaw 21.S Lamont 22.J Thompson

That is actually a pretty balanced side. Good blend of bulk, workrate, ball carriers, distributors and strike runners.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:36 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:ASBO - pretty much on the same page.

I'm coming round to your thinking on Euan Murray, happy to leave him out provided Murray Low can play well for Glasgow between now and the end of the season.

I'd keep Scott Lawson ahead of Fergus Thompson, only really because of Ford's new found throwing jitters (we can't afford to miss lineouts like that so I'd want Lawson on the bench).

I'd take a slightly different bunch of centres: Scott, Grove, Ansbro and NDL (using Leonard as cover at 12 if needed).

The real key for me is getting Weir and Scott to play as much together as possible.

The matchday 22:

1.Welsh 2.Ford (c) 3.Cross 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Brown 7.Rennie 8.Denton 9.Blair 10.Weir 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Ansbro 14.Jones 15.Hogg

16.Shiells 17.S Lawson 18.Gilchrist 19.Harley 20.Laidlaw 21.S Lamont 22.J Thompson

That is actually a pretty balanced side. Good blend of bulk, workrate, ball carriers, distributors and strike runners.
Give you that +1

PS you're working too hard up there!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

I would have added Mark Bennett to my list for the centre spot but i doubt as if he will go on tour with the senior squad this summer, think he will be at the u20's world cup along with leonard.
Fraser MacKenzie is injured still I think after doing his shoulder and doubt he'll be back for the end of the season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

Majestic83 wrote:I would have added Mark Bennett to my list for the centre spot but i doubt as if he will go on tour with the senior squad this summer, think he will be at the u20's world cup along with leonard.
Fraser MacKenzie is injured still I think after doing his shoulder and doubt he'll be back for the end of the season.
Good point, I'd forgotten that - so we'll have to take Rhubard and A.N.Other centre (Shingler, if the IRB sort out the Poopie-show?)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:09 pm

If Alex Dunbar keeps performing like he has the last few games I'd take a punt on him. Looks useful, runs good lines, good hands, quick and solid in defence.

Looking at the squads a few of us have selected I think there are a couple positions showing a lack in depth. Firstly at hooker after Ross Ford there are no stand out players. They are all pretty average which is a bit worrying if Ford got injured or continues to miss his throws. I don't know why Sean Crombie hasn't been given a go again at one of the pro teams. Week in week out he performs very well for Boroughmuir, throws accurate at the lineout, carries alot of ball, one of the top try scorers in the league and is a leader. He maybe wasn't ready when he was first at Edinburgh but having watched him play a few times he seems to have the goods now.

The other position that is showing a bit of a lack in depth is full back, with Rory Lamont being injured apart from Stuart Hogg there isn't really much there. Tom Brown looks really good but hasn't been getting many games at Edinburgh.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

Majestic83 wrote:If Alex Dunbar keeps performing like he has the last few games I'd take a punt on him. Looks useful, runs good lines, good hands, quick and solid in defence.

Looking at the squads a few of us have selected I think there are a couple positions showing a lack in depth. Firstly at hooker after Ross Ford there are no stand out players. They are all pretty average which is a bit worrying if Ford got injured or continues to miss his throws. I don't know why Sean Crombie hasn't been given a go again at one of the pro teams. Week in week out he performs very well for Boroughmuir, throws accurate at the lineout, carries alot of ball, one of the top try scorers in the league and is a leader. He maybe wasn't ready when he was first at Edinburgh but having watched him play a few times he seems to have the goods now.

The other position that is showing a bit of a lack in depth is full back, with Rory Lamont being injured apart from Stuart Hogg there isn't really much there. Tom Brown looks really good but hasn't been getting many games at Edinburgh.

I like Dunbar, knows how to beat a man and runs straight instead of this curved wide run we see from most of the Scottish backs. Hopefully he can keep playing this season and put in a few good performances.

Remember Robbo called up Cuthbert and Murchie, who can both play fullback so in his mind there's plenty of backup to Hogg and Ramont. I have a feeling we'll see Paterson retire at the end of the season which would allow Brown to get more games at Edinburgh. This year may be too early for him.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

I'd be tempted to take Brown as a winger on this tour just to get him in the squad and he has been doing a good job in that position when he has played for Edinburgh but long term he is definitely a full back, got great counter attack skills.
Not that impressed with either Cuthbert or Murchie, definitely not done enough at club level to warrant an international call up. Jim Thompson has always performed well for Edinburgh but hasn't played much recently.

There are a couple good full backs in the premier league who I reckon are worth a shot at pro level, Fraser Thompson of Melrose and Grant Anderson at Ayr, both seem to perform each week at club level and have played well at u20 and club international level for Scotland but just don't seem to be able to get that chance to step up.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:ASBO - pretty much on the same page.

The matchday 22:

My Squad would be the same as this one. re NDL, hopefully someone has read the riot act to him. He cocked up in the 6N but he is one of our best options at 13. For me it is last chance saloon, one more foul up and he'll never play for Scotland again.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 23 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

Agree, I just feel that with players like Weir, Leonard and Scott now needing to come through, NDL deserves the chance to be involved with these guys. You never know, being the senior player in the back line (which he would be), he may even become more responsible......

Looking forward to seeing Sheils in a Scotland jersey.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

I would go for a mix of up and coming talent and some older heads to guide them

Full Back - S Hogg, T Brown
Wings - S Lamont, T Visser, L Jones, M Evans
Centre - J Ansbro, N De Luca, M Scott, A Dunbar
Stand-off - D Weir, R Jackson, H Leonard
Scrum-half - G Laidlaw, M Blair, C Cusiter
No. 8 - D Denton, R Wilson, J Beattie (if his form starts to pick up)
Openside - R Rennie, C Fusaro, J Barclay
Blindside - K Brown, A Strokosch, R Harley
Second Row - R Gray, J Hamilton, T Ryder, G Gilchrist
Props - J Welsh, M Low, G Shiells, G Cross
Hookers - R Ford, P McArthur

Thats 11 uncapped players and 3 or 4 with 1 or 2 caps

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

Nice little article from the Herald, quickly becoming my choice of Rugby opinion rather than the Yes Man crowd at the hootsman.

Time to play the generation game?
Neil Drysdale
Sports Journalist.

The lamentations have lasted long enough for Scotland over their demoralising RBS 6 Nations Championship losses.

Henceforth, the SRU should be looking to youth, appreciating that there is no value in sticking with certain players, exhorting their elite performers to do their talking on the field, rather than in ghosted newspaper columns, and ensuring that the coach – whether it is Andy Robinson or somebody else – selects the best side at his disposal. That may sound obvious, but, according to Roy Laidlaw, the wooden-spoon failure happened because some of these principles were ignored.

"It is not all doom and gloom, but I was worried about the vibes before the Six Nations," says the doughty little Borders scrum-half, who won the grand slam in 1984, then missed three matches of the following season's whitewash. "In the past, the coaches would tell us we were rubbish, and we would go out determined to prove them wrong. Whereas, prior to the England match this February, it was all about how Scotland were going to win, and have a successful championship, and there was a lot of really unjustified confidence. It also didn't help that our best side wasn't on the pitch, so we have to learn from these mistakes. But sometimes in sport, fortunes change quickly and I definitely think there are youngsters who can make a difference."

Laidlaw doesn't believe in Hollywood-style revivals, but his own experiences testify to the value of planning long term and investing in youth. After all, the woes of '85 were replaced with three victories and a record thrashing of England 12 months later. In which light, there is no reason why the tristesse suffered in the Eternal City should turn into an endless decline.

Stuart Hogg has demonstrated that he has the ability to unlock defences and, at just 19, has the next decade to stamp his imprint all over the game. As of June, Edinburgh's prolific winger, Tim Visser, will be eligible for Scotland and the SRU should be looking to fast-track Mark Bennett – another teenager – into the senior ranks, and particularly if he gains inclusion to the Clermont-Auvergne starting XV. There seems to be an aversion in Scotland to blooding youngsters, but Wales have profited from exposing George North to Test rugby at 17 and Bennett, a feisty, ambitious Ayrshireman, is one of the brightest stars in his country's firmament at the moment.

In any rebuilding programme, there will be casualties and we can surely bid 'ciao' to Nick De Luca, while the likes of Graeme Morrison and Allan Jacobsen must be nearing the climax of their illustrious tours of duty; Jim Hamilton and Euan Murray might struggle to add significantly to their present cap tally.

Looking ahead to next year's Six Nations may seem premature, but what about a back line, comprising the likes of Hogg, Visser, Max Evans, Bennett, Lee Jones and a half-back pairing of Duncan Weir and Greig Laidlaw? That group will only have a cumulative aggregate of 160 years (and an average age under 23) between them by the start of the next championship, but they would bring lashings of exuberance, off-the-cuff spontaneity, and brio to their country's cause and when one examines how the Welsh have just won a grand slam with a group of kids, it is overdue for their Scottish counterparts to attempt likewise.

"I can't see what harm it would do to bring in some new faces, if they have the talent and the temperament, because losing becomes a habit and that was one of the most disappointing things about the Italy defeat; the fact that the Italians weren't that good either, but the Scots looked like they lacked enthusiasm and structure," said Laidlaw. "Stuart Hogg has proved that he can unlock the door of quality opposition defences, Visser is a try machine, and I have heard good reports of several of the others. So let's pick them and see whether they have what it takes to make their mark at test level."

The forwards, too, require some tinkering. On paper, they look a formidable bunch, but on grass, one or two players, including Jim Hamilton and John Barclay have not glittered in recent matches and it would be wise to consider an injection of new blood.

Richie Gray, the stand-out for the Scots in the 2012 tournament, should only benefit from moving to Sale Sharks, while the rapid rise of David Denton should inspire the likes of Rob Harley – who is only 21 – to go the extra mile in training.

The front row remains a problem area, with Jacobsen reaching 34 later this year, Euan Murray's form having dipped from the highs of three years ago, allied to his refusal to play on Sundays, and Ross Ford endured a miserable afternoon in Rome and should be spared any further leadership chores in the future, with either Al Kellock or Kelly Brown gaining the captaincy in future campaigns. None of these changes will transform the SRU's finest into world-beaters, but it should elevate them from perennial wooden-spoon status.

Ultimately, though, there are no quick fixes or magic wands. Laidlaw told Herald Sport: "The reality is that it's always hard for Scotland. Ever since the game turned professional, the other leading countries have more teams and more players than us and they are usually bigger and more physical as well. So it will be a constant struggle for us to compete. With that in mind, we have to make the most of what we do have."

He's right, of course. But that won't materialise without better man-management than was evident during the last couple of months. The Class of 2013 can help raise spirits. But first, men such as Weir need to be treated properly by those who employ them.

Drysdale raises a lot of good points. The interuption of Park's retirement really set the tone for the 6N and I reckon a team of young hotshots will really turn some heads in the Summer tour.

My worry is will the young backline highlighted in the article be able to handle the physicality of the Pacific Islanders? We all know how much they love the collisions and the contact area I'm just not 100% convinced they could compete with the intense physicality

I'm not for 1 minute selecting Morrison as a plugger, I would rather leak tries and score more than endure another bish bash bosh option. However we don't have many good tacklers in that backline. A centre who could put in some big hits to put the powerful pacific Backrowers and Centres on the back foot. Grove anyone? I don't watch much premiership rugby, and the only time I have ever seen him play was for Scotland and he looked like a very capable player in attack and defence, perhaps Robinson didn't like him.....

The backline highlighted in the article although explosive and probably good with the ball in hand, the powerful pacific Islanders would have me worrying though when we are under the cosh. I would bring in Grove to put in some bigger hits.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

Dunbar has looked very good so far from what I've seen of him, I'm looking forward to watching Glasgow on BBC Alba this evening to see if he continues to look as promising. The summer tour squad will surely feature Alex Grove who is missing from a lot of people's predicted squads. I hope that Ansbro is fit to tour.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Nice little article from the Herald, quickly becoming my choice of Rugby opinion rather than the Yes Man crowd at the hootsman.

Time to play the generation game?
Neil Drysdale
Sports Journalist.

The lamentations have lasted long enough for Scotland over their demoralising RBS 6 Nations Championship losses.

Henceforth, the SRU should be looking to youth, appreciating that there is no value in sticking with certain players, exhorting their elite performers to do their talking on the field, rather than in ghosted newspaper columns, and ensuring that the coach – whether it is Andy Robinson or somebody else – selects the best side at his disposal. That may sound obvious, but, according to Roy Laidlaw, the wooden-spoon failure happened because some of these principles were ignored.

"It is not all doom and gloom, but I was worried about the vibes before the Six Nations," says the doughty little Borders scrum-half, who won the grand slam in 1984, then missed three matches of the following season's whitewash. "In the past, the coaches would tell us we were rubbish, and we would go out determined to prove them wrong. Whereas, prior to the England match this February, it was all about how Scotland were going to win, and have a successful championship, and there was a lot of really unjustified confidence. It also didn't help that our best side wasn't on the pitch, so we have to learn from these mistakes. But sometimes in sport, fortunes change quickly and I definitely think there are youngsters who can make a difference."

Laidlaw doesn't believe in Hollywood-style revivals, but his own experiences testify to the value of planning long term and investing in youth. After all, the woes of '85 were replaced with three victories and a record thrashing of England 12 months later. In which light, there is no reason why the tristesse suffered in the Eternal City should turn into an endless decline.

Stuart Hogg has demonstrated that he has the ability to unlock defences and, at just 19, has the next decade to stamp his imprint all over the game. As of June, Edinburgh's prolific winger, Tim Visser, will be eligible for Scotland and the SRU should be looking to fast-track Mark Bennett – another teenager – into the senior ranks, and particularly if he gains inclusion to the Clermont-Auvergne starting XV. There seems to be an aversion in Scotland to blooding youngsters, but Wales have profited from exposing George North to Test rugby at 17 and Bennett, a feisty, ambitious Ayrshireman, is one of the brightest stars in his country's firmament at the moment.

In any rebuilding programme, there will be casualties and we can surely bid 'ciao' to Nick De Luca, while the likes of Graeme Morrison and Allan Jacobsen must be nearing the climax of their illustrious tours of duty; Jim Hamilton and Euan Murray might struggle to add significantly to their present cap tally.

Looking ahead to next year's Six Nations may seem premature, but what about a back line, comprising the likes of Hogg, Visser, Max Evans, Bennett, Lee Jones and a half-back pairing of Duncan Weir and Greig Laidlaw? That group will only have a cumulative aggregate of 160 years (and an average age under 23) between them by the start of the next championship, but they would bring lashings of exuberance, off-the-cuff spontaneity, and brio to their country's cause and when one examines how the Welsh have just won a grand slam with a group of kids, it is overdue for their Scottish counterparts to attempt likewise.

"I can't see what harm it would do to bring in some new faces, if they have the talent and the temperament, because losing becomes a habit and that was one of the most disappointing things about the Italy defeat; the fact that the Italians weren't that good either, but the Scots looked like they lacked enthusiasm and structure," said Laidlaw. "Stuart Hogg has proved that he can unlock the door of quality opposition defences, Visser is a try machine, and I have heard good reports of several of the others. So let's pick them and see whether they have what it takes to make their mark at test level."

The forwards, too, require some tinkering. On paper, they look a formidable bunch, but on grass, one or two players, including Jim Hamilton and John Barclay have not glittered in recent matches and it would be wise to consider an injection of new blood.

Richie Gray, the stand-out for the Scots in the 2012 tournament, should only benefit from moving to Sale Sharks, while the rapid rise of David Denton should inspire the likes of Rob Harley – who is only 21 – to go the extra mile in training.

The front row remains a problem area, with Jacobsen reaching 34 later this year, Euan Murray's form having dipped from the highs of three years ago, allied to his refusal to play on Sundays, and Ross Ford endured a miserable afternoon in Rome and should be spared any further leadership chores in the future, with either Al Kellock or Kelly Brown gaining the captaincy in future campaigns. None of these changes will transform the SRU's finest into world-beaters, but it should elevate them from perennial wooden-spoon status.

Ultimately, though, there are no quick fixes or magic wands. Laidlaw told Herald Sport: "The reality is that it's always hard for Scotland. Ever since the game turned professional, the other leading countries have more teams and more players than us and they are usually bigger and more physical as well. So it will be a constant struggle for us to compete. With that in mind, we have to make the most of what we do have."

He's right, of course. But that won't materialise without better man-management than was evident during the last couple of months. The Class of 2013 can help raise spirits. But first, men such as Weir need to be treated properly by those who employ them.

Drysdale raises a lot of good points. The interuption of Park's retirement really set the tone for the 6N and I reckon a team of young hotshots will really turn some heads in the Summer tour.

My worry is will the young backline highlighted in the article be able to handle the physicality of the Pacific Islanders? We all know how much they love the collisions and the contact area I'm just not 100% convinced they could compete with the intense physicality

I'm not for 1 minute selecting Morrison as a plugger, I would rather leak tries and score more than endure another bish bash bosh option. However we don't have many good tacklers in that backline. A centre who could put in some big hits to put the powerful pacific Backrowers and Centres on the back foot. Grove anyone? I don't watch much premiership rugby, and the only time I have ever seen him play was for Scotland and he looked like a very capable player in attack and defence, perhaps Robinson didn't like him.....

The backline highlighted in the article although explosive and probably good with the ball in hand, the powerful pacific Islanders would have me worrying though when we are under the cosh. I would bring in Grove to put in some bigger hits.

Two commentators on the game that I really respect, Laidlaw and Drysdale - everything they say just rings true for me. I wonder what their view on our current coaching situation would be?

Radge, very happy to include Grove on tour, and he would indeed add some steel to the backline, but tbh Scott and Bennett are both 6'1" and should be able to take a man down - its about technique rather than making the big hit imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:11 am

I know what you mean As, no doubt they'll be able to make their tackles. What I'm on about though is a centre who can make a big thumping hit, DeLuca does it for Edinburgh and Grove did it for Scotland against Fiji a few seasons ago.

The big thumping hit that forces a player back and gives the chance of a turnover. Bennet and Scott are stiill quite young but I would hate to see them bulk up too much and fall into the Lamont/Morrison mould.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 23 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

Firstly do we know how big the squad will be?

Secondly I dont think we should cull our experienced players en masse? Yes, chop out the deadwood but don't pick the new shiny things for the sake of it.

For example it would be mad to drop Jim Hamilton. Yellow card aside, he's had a cracking tournament.

Props: Low, Murray, Welsh, Cross, Grant / Shiells

Hookers: Ford, S Lawon, MacArthur

Locks: Gray, Hamilton, McKenzie, Gilchrist

Back Row: Brown (C), Rennie, Barclay, Denton, McInally, Harley

SH: Laidlaw, McKibbin, Blair / Cusiter

Stand Off: Jackson, Weir, Leonard

Centre: De Luca, Ansbro, 2 of Grove / Scott / Morrison

Wings: Visser, Jones, Evans, S Lamont / Brown

(ASBO is Maitland a goer?)

FB: Hogg, Thompson

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

Given who we are playing I think it should be a development tour - do guys like Hamilton not need some time off?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

I would like to blood as much new talent that we think are capable of play in international rugby so we can have a look at them. Also this would let allot of the more experienced players some time off especially after the world cup.

Lets be honest it is not like we can fall much further in the rankings and are almost certain to be in the 3rd seeds??

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

nickj wrote:Firstly do we know how big the squad will be?

Secondly I dont think we should cull our experienced players en masse? Yes, chop out the deadwood but don't pick the new shiny things for the sake of it.

For example it would be mad to drop Jim Hamilton. Yellow card aside, he's had a cracking tournament.

Props: Low, Murray, Welsh, Cross, Grant / Shiells

Hookers: Ford, S Lawon, MacArthur

Locks: Gray, Hamilton, McKenzie, Gilchrist

Back Row: Brown (C), Rennie, Barclay, Denton, McInally, Harley

SH: Laidlaw, McKibbin, Blair / Cusiter

Stand Off: Jackson, Weir, Leonard

Centre: De Luca, Ansbro, 2 of Grove / Scott / Morrison

Wings: Visser, Jones, Evans, S Lamont / Brown

(ASBO is Maitland a goer?)

FB: Hogg, Thompson

I'm working on it, mick OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

TJ wrote:Given who we are playing I think it should be a development tour - do guys like Hamilton not need some time off?

The thing is, even if you label this a "development tour", there's always a balance to strike. Pick a completely new, fresh and callow side doesn't really serve any purpose. The packs gets butchered, the half backs are on the back foot and the outside backs don't get the ball. It's basically just 80 minutes of tackling practice (which admittedly many of our players could use).

It has to be a blend, so that there's enough of a platform for the young players who we do want to introduce into the side to show what they can do. That's the only way in which we'll learn anything and they'll develop.

Drysdale has clearly discussed his article in advance with ASBO, the Mark Bennett fan club!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

I think Maitland could be a goer. He certainly states his Scottishness on his twitter account. Having spoken to him a couple of times I think if a club could be found for him over here then he would come over to play.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 23 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TJ wrote:Given who we are playing I think it should be a development tour - do guys like Hamilton not need some time off?

The thing is, even if you label this a "development tour", there's always a balance to strike. Pick a completely new, fresh and callow side doesn't really serve any purpose. The packs gets butchered, the half backs are on the back foot and the outside backs don't get the ball. It's basically just 80 minutes of tackling practice (which admittedly many of our players could use).

It has to be a blend, so that there's enough of a platform for the young players who we do want to introduce into the side to show what they can do. That's the only way in which we'll learn anything and they'll develop.

Drysdale has clearly discussed his article in advance with ASBO, the Mark Bennett fan club!
Laugh You're a very naughty boy, young fES, and not too old to put over my knee warning

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 23 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

Development tour my arse. This tour needs to be used to find our strongest team and for that team to learn to play with each other.

We also need to learn to win again. We can't win in the 6n's so this tour gives us the chance to win elsewhere.

Players like McKibbin and Maitland are not going to sign up for a second rate or third tier national team. They do not need the hassle.

Jim Hamilton et al can have a rest when they retire. We need them to secure the ball for these new backs to play off

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 23 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

Majestic83 wrote:I think Maitland could be a goer. He certainly states his Scottishness on his twitter account. Having spoken to him a couple of times I think if a club could be found for him over here then he would come over to play.

For Maitland to move to the NH he’d probably need to go to a French club to be honest. I can’t see him agreeing to play for Glasgow or Edinburgh. He’d be a great addition to Scottish Rugby though, terrific player. He’s very close to the ABs squad but this could be a crucial year, if he doesn’t get selected for the 4N then he may just consider the possibility of picking up plenty of international caps with Scotland.

Re the physicality of the pacific islanders, that hadn’t even crossed my mind before, but is certainly something to consider. Grove is solid defensively and would match them physically. Dunbar, Scott and Bennet are both big lads and I’m sure they can handle it. However, it’s players like Jones and Laidlaw that I worry about. While they are electric in attack their defense is questionable. We all saw Trinh-Duc walk over Laidlaw (although you could say that was just very bad technique) and Jones hasn’t filled me with confidence when defending. Weir is probably the best 10 we have defensively and the best when kicking from hand. But in the end the selection will depend on what type of game plan we want to play. We’re not going to bash them into submission so we may very well see Weir using his boot to put us into their 22. Is it bad that I’m getting excited for the youngsters to get a chance. Robbo will probably let me down again by playing the usual suspects steam

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

Despite his yellow card in the last match Hamilton has been an important part of the pack this year, just look at how our scrummage has disintegrated everytime he's been replaced by Kellock. I think Hamilton is a big help to our not exactly dominant props. He should go on the tour whereas NDL could realistically be replaced by a number of alternative players.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

I disagree and I've said it before on another thread, as has FES. De Luca is the form Scottish 13. Yes, his yellow cards were beyond daft and someone needs to have a word. But apart from Grove, there is no one else YET.

Ansbro is injured and hasnt played for months. Bennett doesnt play, Dunbar isnt ready, neither is Fife. Glasgow have played Nathan, Hogg and Dewey at 13 all season.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

I might be wrong but are people not only condoning poaching but also cataloguing potential poaches? That's what it looked like reading the first comments of this thread...

If they are then it rings of desperate and actually quite low tbh.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Oh yeah - aint you clever know-all ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 23 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:I might be wrong but are people not only condoning poaching but also cataloguing potential poaches? That's what it looked like reading the first comments of this thread...

What's wrong with scouring the globe for good players with Scottish ancestry? Maitland’s Scottish connection has been discussed many times on this forum so it’s nothing new. McKibben was born in Scotland so isn’t really a poach. Heathcote was only mentioned recently but he’s no different than Shingler. Has anyone else been mentioned? Three isn’t a lot. I see nothing wrong with having players like these wear the dark blue. The SRU are smart to keep all their options open. If they’re passionate and give everything for the jersey then they’re fine with me.

I don’t know about this Nick De Luca is the form 13 chat. He was the form 13 going into the 6N. We may find that his confidence has taken a hammering and his game suffers. Or he’ll go back to playing well and we realize that maybe he’s just not cut out for international rugby. Either way we have young guys coming through who can play 13 so we’re covered in that position. If De Luca has to keep the jersey warm for the likes of Bennet and Dunbar for another year then so be it.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

Scotland has always been a country that has exported people around the world, doesn't mean that their children and grandchildren lose their sense of Scottishness. Look at how many Americans, Australians, New Zealanders (and English) etc still consider themselves Scottish generations on. As long as these players are good enough and committed enough then I think it is perfectly valid to extend our player base this way. There are really good home grown players coming through but not quite enough of them.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 23 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

I don't mind a few imported Scots in the team but looking at it we already have quite a few from England and one from Zimbabwe so I would not like too many more (only areas we struggle).

Otherwise what is the point in having a National team ?

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 23 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

By the way not xenophobic just want the majority to be Scottish and have come through the system, perhaps just to prove that it’s not completely broken.
If they really do feel Scottish and not just other country’s cast offs I am all for having any player, but they must prove that they are the best options and not fast tracked because they have been brought over or what league they play in. Laney falls into the former category and I am yet to see why a bath bench player (Cuthbert) has done to be included lately.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:11 am

Knowsit17 wrote:I might be wrong but are people not only condoning poaching but also cataloguing potential poaches? That's what it looked like reading the first comments of this thread...

Knowsit17

Can you explain how it rings of desperation or how it is quite low to look further afield at potential players??

I can't think of one national team that does not have players born from outwith that country. The players that are being
spoken about are either born in scotland but have moved abroad or their parents are scottish and the players have talken about
being scottish.
Scotland has a few players born outside of scotland in their team but compared to some teams it isn't that many and apart from
Tim Visser all are playing for Scotland through parentage or grand parentage unlike many teams who have many playing for them on
residency so as far as i am concerned and many others would agree there is nothing wrong with bringing in a few high quality players
who will add something to the Scotland team and hopefully help to improve our performance and our standing in world rugby!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

As I've explained in Shingler's case, being born outside a country isn't what I'm on about. With Wales I don't see Faletau, North, Lydiate etc as any less Welsh just because they were born in various places beyond the Welsh borders.

What I mean is would all these potential poaches be playing for the sake of representing Scotland or just to play int'l rugby full stop?

Do they naturally consider themselves Scottish and therefore would always choose Scotland over everyone else? Or would they only pick Scotland due to not being able to break into their preferred choices (NZ for Maitland, Wales for Shingler etc)?

Call me old fashioned but I believe playing for a country should mean more than just slipping on another jersey or making concessions, it ought to be the place you feel you're representing in heart and soul. Being qualified for somewhere doesn't necessarily mean you're actually from that place in the purest sense of the word.

How would Scottish fans feel if it was suddenly discovered that Harry Leonard had Welsh or Irish heritage and one of the two suddenly snapped him up? Cheated, by both the player and the stealing side, would be my guess.

To sum it up bluntly and briefly, why don't you develop native Scottish talent rather than recruit by opportunistically digging around player backgrounds and nabbing one here and there?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun 25 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Sean Maitland I think would be crazy to play for Scotland unless he really feels Scottish or maybe particularly wants to play in France, because he is rather good.

I think Macknocked-on put it well - Scotland has always been a country exporting people to far corners of the earth and it doesn't make them any less Scottish.

I myself if I played professional rugby would probably play for a club in England (aka a different country to Scotland) because it feels like home habitat-wise, but then play for the Scottish national side, because it feels like home heritage-wise. Go figure.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun 25 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

Although it would probably not be remarkable at this rate as I grew in Bath so would play for them ... I think we've found our fourth Scottish club side lads (behind London Scottish) !

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 25 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Sean Maitland I think would be crazy to play for Scotland unless he really feels Scottish or maybe particularly wants to play in France, because he is rather good.

I think Macknocked-on put it well - Scotland has always been a country exporting people to far corners of the earth and it doesn't make them any less Scottish.
I can confirm this. Cool

Contrary to the opinion of everyone's favourite frog-like, nyaff-tastic, balding soundbite merchant Alex Salmond, you feel more Scottish when you are different to those around you and not surrounded by Scots.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

Good to see Ansbro back playing today for London Irish.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:48 am

London Irish 32-41 Leicester Tigers

Looks like a cracking game but more importantly Ansbro put in the full 80.

Incidentally, please can we stop mentioning Cuthbert in threads about the Scottish national squad. It makes me want to yog.

If a strange virus debilitated Brown, Ramont, Hogg and Thompson on the very day of an international, I would still check if Bernie Stortoni did't have a Scottish granny before letting Igor onto the pitch. No no no.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:30 am

GC,
agree totally re Cuthbert -Igor indeed laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

GC
agreed about Cuthbert. Cant help but fell AR is either the worst selector in international rugby, which he probably is, and/or he is trying to curry favour with Bath in the hope of being offered a job back at his old patch.

By the by, interesting news that Sale have sacked their first team coach. Wonder if Diamond would be mad enought to recruit Robinson for the post?
Unfortunately i dont think Steve is quite that barking but fingers crossed!

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

BTW I'm currently in Holland. If I started playing rugby for some non-descript team in Holland at 13 would AR pick me before asking Cairns? I don't have my boots with me but trainers will suffice for now.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

Can someone tell me what's happened to Mr Roderick Grant?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 26 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

What do you mean George?

Does anyone know how Muldowney is coming along at the Chiefs? I hear he scored the crucial try at the weekend. Could he become an option if he plays regularly for Exeter?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 26 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

nickj wrote:What do you mean George?

Does anyone know how Muldowney is coming along at the Chiefs? I hear he scored the crucial try at the weekend. Could he become an option if he plays regularly for Exeter?
nick, he's doing well at Exe, his fitness levels have improved enormously, and there's still some way to go there too. He doesn't start unless there's an injury, but is a valued member of the match day squad (ie usually in the XXIII). Bryan Rennie has been starting at 13 recently too

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next