The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Leinster

+38
glamorganalun
Rava
Hookisms and Hyperbole
The Boss
Glas a du
Morgannwg
Cymroglan
valjester
Cari
PJHolybloke
dublin_dave
drsambo1928
wales606
Standulstermen
asoreleftshoulder
Gretgael1
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
the-goon
Sin é
Thomond
ME-109
rodders
eirebilly
SecretFly
LeinsterFan4life
Golden
Gibson
Feckless Rogue
BlueMuff
pete (buachaill on eirne)
debaters1
red_stag
hugo124
geoff998rugby
MMC
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
42 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Munster v Leinster - Page 3 Empty Munster v Leinster

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here we go again.

Travelling in hope but not expectation. Would be great to win this one, but I would settle for a LBP and no (more) injuries.

Apparently there is hope on Mike Ross and Jamie Hagan. No word on White. They usually release an injury update on Mondays at lunchtime.

Don't fancy facing DuPreeyahhh and Botha with Jack McGrath at th. It was a credit to him as a first year LOOSE head prop that he did not get injured in those scrums against some serious experience and power

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Munster v Leinster - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Leinster

Post by rodders Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Munster were always favourites Gibson......... thats why we'll beat them.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 am

Talking about Strings and Sarries (this was posted on munsterfans):

Sarries tv have a really nice tribute to Strings from Sarries. Mark McCall says that if "Carlsberg did loans deals, strings would be it.

http://www.saracens.com/sarriestv/?Referer=&FolderId=&Id=&Section=All&PageLength=10&Desc=&CurrentPage=2

Its Page 2, Reaction: Saracens 18 Northampton 12. (Not Coach's Cut or Team's Up).

The first minute or so on the video and then there is an interview about strings with mark mccall at about the 5 minute mark.

Strings is built like a Poopie brickhouse and Mark McCall comes across very well and he seems to be doing a really good job there.

Next Ireland coach perhaps?

Last edited by Sin é on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : meant to say coach, not match)
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:01 am

Thats brilliant SIN. He is a class act. Wish he was in his 20's.

Off to Newcastle for a bit now... Must be stashing a few bob.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:10 am

Gibson wrote:Thats brilliant SIN. He is a class act. Wish he was in his 20's.

Yeah cos you wouldnt have lots of people saying he hasnt got a break or isnt physical enough etc etc. Seems to be doing fine in the big bad world of the Premiership...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:24 am

DOD wrote:

Yeah cos you wouldnt have lots of people saying he hasnt got a break or isnt physical enough etc etc. Seems to be doing fine in the big bad world of the Premiership...
He was always pound for pound the strongest man in Irish Rugby. He can do 50 press ups on his little finger (and probably his mickey)

As for a break. He does one every 5 or 6 years. Ask Serge Betsen.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 am

Thats because everyone except Kidney appreciates that a scrumhalf needs to be able to pass the ball and deliver quick service.... except maybe London Irish that is Wink .

The modern game is perfect for Stringer and hes been discarded too soon.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
DOD wrote:

He was always pound for pound the strongest man in Irish Rugby. He can do 50 press ups on his little finger (and probably his mickey)

As for a break. He does one every 5 or 6 years. Ask Serge Betsen.

Sireli Bobo no?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 am

Mickado wrote:
Sireli Bobo no?
HC Final 06. Most famous break. No winger for Biarritz. Betsen caught flat footed.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:53 pm

roddersm wrote:Thats because everyone except Kidney appreciates that a scrumhalf needs to be able to pass the ball and deliver quick service.... except maybe London Irish that is Wink .

The modern game is perfect for Stringer and hes been discarded too soon.

I dont think he has. He had plenty of chances in the last 3 years in the Magners and was poor in most games he played. Thats why he was dropped.

Theres a bit of a romantic idea going around about him cause he was so good for many years but he didnt deliver when he was given chances. Maybe he has regained his focus again though so lets hope he takes his chances when they arise this time.

On a different matter this weeks game is a bit of a distraction. Its all about next weeks match against Ulster. Cant wait.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 pm

No I agree BlueMuff, Strings had a few chances in recent seasons and didn't perform, however if he is playing well then he should be considered because he still has a skill set that is very valuable.

I just think this obsession with physicality at SH that Kidney has is outdated since the law changes in 2010.

Physicality is still an important requirement but its the speed and quality of delivery which is far more important now and getting quick ball away from the rucks. Flanker type SHs who bludgen around the fringes are no use now if they can't get the quick ball away when needed.

Stringers game which became a bit outdated a few seasons ago is now back in vogue with the interpretation changes favouring the attacking team.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Rodders I'm not sure that it is an "obsession". I actually think its a bit silly to say. Kidney is limited to basically O'Leary, Reddan, Boss and Murray. He simply plays the hand he is dealt.

I dont understand how you can say he has an "obsession" especially when you consider that he was Peter Stringers underage coach and started him for half a dozen years.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Personally I think Stringer still has a lot to give, in 09 the game didn't suit him, it does now for sure, I can remember a while ago (a few years) a few of us were crying out for a pairing of

stringer-sexton-wallace

I still think that that would have got the most out of our outside backs.

I was very disappointed to see TOL put in ahead of Stringer and Marshall who represent either experience but suit the modern game or youth with an attacking flair.

It is testement to Philips that he still starts for Wales, there are very few other big scrumhalves anymore. I still believe guys like Genia and Yachvilli reign supreme

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Stringer lost a lot after the 2007 World Cup. He got blamed for a lot too. Stringer is a more-than-meets-the-eye topic and perhaps a more-sinned-against-than-sinning player.

Strange topic - Stringer.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm

What ever about what's happened in the past, or who should be playing and all that - Stringer can teach Conor Murray a massive amount when he returns next season.

I see Murray making huge strides as a result. You just can't buy the kind of experience that a guy like Stringer brings.

It's an oft overused phrase (though not by me) but Stringer is a legend.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 pm

red_stag wrote:Rodders I'm not sure that it is an "obsession". I actually think its a bit silly to say. Kidney is limited to basically O'Leary, Reddan, Boss and Murray. He simply plays the hand he is dealt.

I dont understand how you can say he has an "obsession" especially when you consider that he was Peter Stringers underage coach and started him for half a dozen years.

Stag as soon as O'Leary came on the scene he was the clear 1st choice of Kidney. Perfectly suited to Munster and Ireland defense orientated pre 2010 gameplan. However a fish out of water when the IRB changed the interprations.

Reddan,Stringer and even Boss who are all much more suited to the fast paced attacking modern game haven't been favoured and then along comes Murray who has the full skill set and hes now playing just like TOL.

Kidney seems to believe Ireland can bludgeon and defend their way to success and his choice of 9 reflects that.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 pm

MMC wrote:What ever about what's happened in the past, or who should be playing and all that - Stringer can teach Conor Murray a massive amount when he returns next season.

I see Murray making huge strides as a result. You just can't buy the kind of experience that a guy like Stringer brings.

It's an oft overused phrase (though not by me) but Stringer is a legend.

+1
Completely agree

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Have the teams been named yet? Should be interesting who gets picked, will go a long way to see who is in the frame for the HC start.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm

What time is this on by the way? Is it on RTE?

Hopefully these two knock a few lumps out of each other and Munster are softened up nicely for next week..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm

roddersm wrote:What time is this on by the way? Is it on RTE?

Hopefully these two knock a few lumps out of each other and Munster are softened up nicely for next week..... Wink

You really dont get it do you thumbsup

We want them to know a few lumps off us so we are battle hardened following a ERC standard match while you lot practice training moves against Aironi.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 pm

red_stag wrote:

We want them to know a few lumps off us so we are battle hardened following a ERC standard match while you lot practice training moves against Aironi.

Yeah...any side with serious intentions about HC know that the inevitable can't be delayed any longer. From here on in the intensity has to rise, the impacts have to be harder, the running stronger, the intent much more beligerent.

This is when the serious sides will seriously test each other.... the smokescreens are done with now. Show your hand, and what have you really got under the bonnet.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:21 pm

roddersm wrote:
red_stag wrote:Rodders I'm not sure that it is an "obsession". I actually think its a bit silly to say. Kidney is limited to basically O'Leary, Reddan, Boss and Murray. He simply plays the hand he is dealt.

Stag as soon as O'Leary came on the scene he was the clear 1st choice of Kidney. Perfectly suited to Munster and Ireland defense orientated pre 2010 gameplan. However a fish out of water when the IRB changed the interprations.

Reddan,Stringer and even Boss who are all much more suited to the fast paced attacking modern game haven't been favoured and then along comes Murray who has the full skill set and hes now playing just like TOL.

Kidney seems to believe Ireland can bludgeon and defend their way to success and his choice of 9 reflects that.

Jebus wept...TOL was put in to increase our attacking options because it was felt Stringer at the time was not tying in the backrow. He increased our attacking capabilities at the time.

The problem for TOL is that he hasnt been able to regain the form he had in 08/09 consistently.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 pm

red_stag wrote:

Cool

He's right ya know. This game is a yearly set up, between us and our Munster friends. A game, in which the timing is perfectly planned, to get us both ready for the huge step-up in the intensity levels required for HC knockout rugby. It really is a fix and not many people (outside of Munster & Leinster) seem to kop that coincidence.

Shussssh.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Gibbo's right. It's a total fix.

It's great. Very Happy
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Laugh

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Whoa lads, I love Stringer and yes he still has the best pass in Irish rugby, but the romance of those tap tackles aside, the 'modern' game is most assuradly not for Stringer anymore at Int level. A demonstration of this is Richie Grey's try versus Ireland. He literally ran over Reddan, a superior defensive operator when compared to Strings. Murray and TOL would have made that tackle or been castigated if they didn't, and rightly so. All the speed of pass in world will count for nothing when you dont have the ball.

This is NOT a defence of TOL btw, merely stating one area of the game of his that isnt complete cack at the moment. And credit where it is due, the break for one of Munster's tries v Connachtt by TOL was good to see and well executed by him and the team as a whole.

Still not sorry that he is branching out and I for his and LI's sake that he rediscover's that 2008-2009 pre injury form, law changes aside, he was playing lovely football at that time and read things well.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:56 pm

debaters1 wrote:Whoa lads, I love Stringer and yes he still has the best pass in Irish rugby, but the romance of those tap tackles aside, the 'modern' game is most assuradly not for Stringer anymore at Int level. A demonstration of this is Richie Grey's try versus Ireland. He literally ran over Reddan, a superior defensive operator when compared to Strings. Murray and TOL would have made that tackle or been castigated if they didn't, and rightly so. All the speed of pass in world will count for nothing when you dont have the ball.

This is NOT a defence of TOL btw, merely stating one area of the game of his that isnt complete cack at the moment. And credit where it is due, the break for one of Munster's tries v Connachtt by TOL was good to see and well executed by him and the team as a whole.

Still not sorry that he is branching out and I for his and LI's sake that he rediscover's that 2008-2009 pre injury form, law changes aside, he was playing lovely football at that time and read things well.

Hold on there debaters...this is no place for a logical and reasoned arguement....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Debaters, stop bringing logic to some good old fashioned reminisent dreaming Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Dammitt DOD, you beat me to it mad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Munster:
15. Jones
14. Murphy
13. Earls
12. Mafi
11. Zebo
10. ROG (c)
9. O'Leary

1. Horan
2. Varley
3. Botha
4. DO’C
5. O'Driscoll
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. O' Mahony
8. Coughlan

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes

Hurley must be injured. I think they've given up on Wallace being back to full fitness for the 1/4 final (a wise decision IMO).

Huge moment for Dave O'Callaghan. Delighted with that backrow.

Last edited by MMC on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Where the hell is David Wallace?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

TOL would be brilliant. IF he was a SH. Which he's not. Another one of Deccie's experiments gone badly wrong. Lets be honest here.

Lets hope Murray is steered in the right direction. He has the right stuff.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Thats a decent side. Still think Munster by 5 Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 pm

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Isa Nacewa
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Sean Cronin
3: Mike Ross
4: Brad Thorn
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
17: Cian Healy
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Leo Cullen
20: Sean O'Brien
21: Isaac Boss
22: Ian Madigan
23: Fergus McFadden

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 pm

MMC wrote:Munster:
15. Jones
14. Murphy
13. Earls
12. Mafi
11. Zebo
10. ROG (c)
9. O'Leary

1. Horan
2. Varley
3. Botha
4. DO’C
5. O'Driscoll
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. O' Mahony
8. Coughlan

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes

Hurley must be injured. I think they've given up on Wallace being back to full fitness for the 1/2 final (a wise decision IMO).

Huge moment for Dave O'Callaghan. Delighted with that backrow.

Great backline. Excellent front-row. Its going to be a long day at the Oriface... But our backrow should muller that one.

Never even heard of DOC2. Is he any good?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:LEINSTER:

REPLACEMENTS:

Sweet Mother of Divine... its all coming together at the right time. Good man Joe.

Leinster by 15.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Who let that D'arcy lad in at 12? Wasn't he sent to Skull island as punishment for being a bad man?

I have to say that to keep up appearances for my International critic persona. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 pm

If only Leinster had won last week, i would have been so nervous.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Gibson wrote:

REPLACEMENTS:

Sweet Mother of Divine... its all coming together at the right time. Good man Joe.

Leinster by 15.

Will you ever get off the fence Gibbo? Wink

That's a scary looking Leinster team in fairness. Better than the Munster team on paper. But matches are won on grass, and this grass is located in Thomond Park. Cool

I wouldn't underestimate the Munster backrow. DOC2 has been excellent for Munster every time he's played this season. Of the Irish backrow, Peter O'Mahony was outshone only by Ferris in the 6 Nations. Coughlan is definitely the form No.8 of the two named.

Munster by 6.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 pm

So, they are making the non-Tweeting Heaslip, Captain? Time to grow up Jamie. Good call.

Darcy? Ah well he is twice as good (not saying much) with his bud BOD alongside him. Sooo.

That bench, makes me smile an-inner-smile of inner-smugness.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Mclauglin and Jennings are no hopers and Heaslip is off form. Sexton will be all huff and puff and the only thing he seems to aim accurately in kicks out of hand are if they are at Mafi's head.

Who's job is it to help Brad around the pitch....although with BOD on its like the geriatrics association...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm

MMC wrote:
Gibson wrote:

REPLACEMENTS:

Leinster by 15.

Will you ever get off the fence Gibbo? Wink

That's a scary looking Leinster team in fairness. Better than the Munster team on paper. But matches are won on grass, and this grass is located in Thomond Park. Cool

I wouldn't underestimate the Munster backrow. DOC2 has been excellent for Munster every time he's played this season. Of the Irish backrow, Peter O'Mahony was outshone only by Ferris in the 6 Nations. Coughlan is definitely the form No.8 of the two named.

Munster by 6.

I know man I know. Just ratcheting it up. Munster a different beast in TP. And specially v Leinster. It will be tight. For the 1st 60 mins anyway...
I honestly believe our bench will win this one though.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Sack Joe Schmidt he continues to play favourites and pick that slow lumbering oaf Gordon Darcy.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 pm

DOD wrote:Mclauglin and Jennings are no hopers and Heaslip is off form. Sexton will be all huff and puff and the only thing he seems to aim accurately in kicks out of hand are if they are at Mafi's head.

Who's job is it to help Brad around the pitch....although with BOD on its like the geriatrics association...

Love it.

No Wally? Jenno is going to have his usual field-day and will show POM how its actually done. Be a great education for the lad. Grand.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 pm

MMC: "Matches are won on Grass."

Sublime comment of the Month.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Gibson - I think DOCv2 looks a real prospect. He is a hard working flanker, would like to see him carry more though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Plus I really wish it was SOB at 7 against POM at 7. Would have been interesting.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 pm

I believe we should have this one now. I wasn't very confident but with that midfield and backrow of Munster as well as the two locks I feel better.

On paper we are considerably better I think, not trying for a wind up just my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing POM in action again he looks VERY good. Jones as well.

The leinster bench is just far, far superior.

Am exceptionally Pee'd off though that Darcy is back starting mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Wow thats one strong looking bench!

Good to see toner and cronin starting but would have liked McFadden at 12

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Pete,

Leinster are definitely a stronger team. However we are missing Donnacha Ryan, Paul O'Connell, David Wallace, Doug Howlett, Denis Leamy and Conor Murray.

Some people will say thats an excuse - its just a fact. We are playing reserve players in some positions due to injury.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Fair enough Stag OK

Can we get fireworks for your next post? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content