The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Leinster

+38
glamorganalun
Rava
Hookisms and Hyperbole
The Boss
Glas a du
Morgannwg
Cymroglan
valjester
Cari
PJHolybloke
dublin_dave
drsambo1928
wales606
Standulstermen
asoreleftshoulder
Gretgael1
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
the-goon
Sin é
Thomond
ME-109
rodders
eirebilly
SecretFly
LeinsterFan4life
Golden
Gibson
Feckless Rogue
BlueMuff
pete (buachaill on eirne)
debaters1
red_stag
hugo124
geoff998rugby
MMC
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
42 posters

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Munster v Leinster - Page 5 Empty Munster v Leinster

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 26 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Here we go again.

Travelling in hope but not expectation. Would be great to win this one, but I would settle for a LBP and no (more) injuries.

Apparently there is hope on Mike Ross and Jamie Hagan. No word on White. They usually release an injury update on Mondays at lunchtime.

Don't fancy facing DuPreeyahhh and Botha with Jack McGrath at th. It was a credit to him as a first year LOOSE head prop that he did not get injured in those scrums against some serious experience and power

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Munster v Leinster - Page 5 Empty Re: Munster v Leinster

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

I guess some players look good in the lessser competition against lesser opponents (Sexton, Heaslip are good examples of that). Darcy plays the same way for Leinster as he does for Ireland (poorly).

Schmidt lost his last game at home with a poor game plan. Lets see how he gets on over time in that he now has to develop his own team and not just follow on Cheikas coat tails. Although given the team he has selected for this weekend it doesnt look promising.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

Gibson wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Then again, the likes of D'Arcy, Heaslip etc who don't perform for Ireland, play pretty damn well for Leinster. I think players generally perform better when there is a good game-plan they can follow, and one that suits the playing style of the team..

True Rory. I wonder why? chin

Couldn't be the coach.. the step up to international rugby is just so different apparently. It is like changing sports almost.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

Its simple. It will be O Malley for BOD and McFadden for Dorce. Macken may get a decent shot at it too in the future.

Our cup...it overflowethetheth.

That, can bring its' own selection problems...

I can deal with em.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Gibson wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Then again, the likes of D'Arcy, Heaslip etc who don't perform for Ireland, play pretty damn well for Leinster. I think players generally perform better when there is a good game-plan they can follow, and one that suits the playing style of the team..

Couldn't be the coach.. the step up to international rugby is just so different apparently. It is like changing sports almost.

Oh roysh. I was just wondering like.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

HEC is a lesser competition to the 6 nations? Very debatable..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:HEC is a lesser competition to the 6 nations? Very debatable..

The HC knockouts are every bit as intense and competitive as the 6-N. Sometimes - even more so. The French & English know this only too well. Besides, the teams are choc full of World Class internationals from all over.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

DOD wrote:I guess some players look good in the lessser competition against lesser opponents (Sexton, Heaslip are good examples of that). Darcy plays the same way for Leinster as he does for Ireland (poorly).

Schmidt lost his last game at home with a poor game plan. Lets see how he gets on over time in that he now has to develop his own team and not just follow on Cheikas coat tails. Although given the team he has selected for this weekend it doesnt look promising.

He lost to third placed Ospreys at home...whilst introducing players who were longterm absentees, and a stranger.

He didn't lose to last placed Aironi though.

You're old enough DOD to know when teams coast...Munster yawned against Aironi, Leinster couldn't coast to the same extent against Ospreys but were still far short of their familiar bite.

Saturday should be a whole different game for both sides.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

DOD wrote:I guess some players look good in the lessser competition against lesser opponents (Sexton, Heaslip are good examples of that). Darcy plays the same way for Leinster as he does for Ireland (poorly).

Laugh Man DOD yer a riot. Schmidt has 2 teams developed since he arrived. Has used nearly all his academy in the process. As has McGahan - in fairness. Cheika stymied our growth in the end. Like Deccie, he didnt trust in youth early enough. Kidney lives on injuries to make his choices for him.

McGahan & Schmidt have been brilliantly PRO-active. Deccie thinks that's an energy-drink.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

Gibson wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:HEC is a lesser competition to the 6 nations? Very debatable..

The HC knockouts are every bit as intense and competitive as the 6-N. Sometimes - even more so. The French & English know this only too well. Besides, the teams are choc full of World Class internationals from all over.

Correct Gibbo. The myth that Scotland v Italy or even Ireland v Scotland is higher standard and more intense than HC knockout games is insulting to the rugby played in HC knockouts. Those who continually perpetuate the myth do so knowingly. 6N should be a higher standard - its very weakness is that it more often than not isn't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Gibson wrote:

The ball always beats the man Rory, the ball always beats the man........ Cool
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

Fly..just to let you know in case you missed it we did beat Scotland and Italy comfortably in the 6ns.... Ok!

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:48 pm

Also I agree that O'Malley, D Kearney, Macken etc are good players and will come on but given they arent first choice for Leinster its patently silly to say they should be given a shot with Ireland.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

DOD wrote:Fly..just to let you know in case you missed it we did beat Scotland and Italy comfortably in the 6ns.... Ok!

DOD, and just because you did miss it.............. those games happen every year...and 'comfortable' isn't the word I'd use every year. Ok!

Besides, I thought you said the players Kidney has to rely on couldn't change a light bulb at International (Blessin' of God be upon it!) level?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:59 pm

DOD,
Deccie has played all his cards. All of them with the present bunch. He must take the above-mentioned players - who have played a lot of PRO12 games - to NZ. If he doesnt...

All he has to do is look at Wales & England. Take a few chances (scary scary) and if he gets but 1 or two of them to step up, I would personally applaud the man.

Zebo, D. Kearney, Jones (he will anyway), Madigan, O Malley and Toner - to mention a few, MUST travel. Otherwise, its just another wasted exercise. Like the 6-N and the past 3 years.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

DOD wrote:Also I agree that O'Malley, D Kearney, Macken etc are good players and will come on but given they arent first choice for Leinster its patently silly to say they should be given a shot with Ireland.

But DOC should?

Anyway I'm going for a Leinster win here. Don't think munster will have enough without POC and Ryan. Also from my perspective it brings munster back into the mix and pushes Leinster out into safety again.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

DOD wrote:Also I agree that O'Malley, D Kearney, Macken etc are good players and will come on but given they arent first choice for Leinster its patently silly to say they should be given a shot with Ireland.

Why then did DoC start for Ireland depite not being first choice

I'll tell you the answer since I doubt you'll be able to figure it yourself.It's because Kidney is his own man and can make his own decisions,he isn't handcuffed by the provinces and if he wanted toplay McFadden at 12 he could.However he's becoming more conservative by the day and is unfortunately turning into Steady Eddie mark 2.The only difference between them is Eddie screwed up World Cups where Kidney is now screwing up 6 Nations.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

I hope the irony of Kidneys situation is not lost on you.He took over and had a great first year but has utterly failed to develop his own team.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Because he has an IRFU central contract and Ryan, Tuohy, Toner and the other half dozen better 2nd rows in the country don't thats why.

McGahan can clearly see that Ryan is the superior player these days but he doesn't have one hand tied behind his back by the IRFU blazers the way Deccie and Smal do.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Gibson wrote:

Laugh Man DOD yer a riot. Schmidt has 2 teams developed since he arrived. Has used nearly all his academy in the process. As has McGahan - in fairness. Cheika stymied our growth in the end. Like Deccie, he didnt trust in youth early enough. Kidney lives on injuries to make his choices for him.

McGahan & Schmidt have been brilliantly PRO-active. Deccie thinks that's an energy-drink.

Yeah you are right. I mean schmidt is clearly trusting in the yute for tomorrows game...the warm up OAPs game with BOD and Brad should be interesting....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

roddersm wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Because he has an IRFU central contract and Ryan, Tuohy, Toner and the other half dozen better 2nd rows in the country don't thats why.

McGahan can clearly see that Ryan is the superior player these days but he doesn't have one hand tied behind his back by the IRFU blazers the way Deccie and Smal do.

Rodders is right in that Central contracts are a problematic structure in an age when many more players than will ever qualify for the contracts are putting up their hands for inclusion in the national side.

I don't know the cost effective solution to holding onto players of considered value (O'Connell, O'Driscoll, O'Gara etc).....

.....or how you even select those players now (given that more rotation is happing in all sides, and younger players are contributing to the season ending success of their Provinces as much as the big boys who are dragged out in bits and pieces to rubber-stamp the gains).....

.....or how you ensure the centrally contracted players will not receive preferential treatment if their value decreases in the middle of a contract period.

I don't know the solution but I do know that the player base has changed sufficiently in a positive way in the last 10 years to say that the present system used to identify and retain quality is a touch archaic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

roddersm wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

DOC has more gametime for Munster this season than D Ryan. Up in Leinster they call it rotation Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

DOC has more gametime for Munster this season than D Ryan. Up in Leinster they call it rotation Very Happy

Why can't you come out and make a straight statement,you're like a politician everything you say is ambiguous so you can weasel out of it when you're (frequently) shown to be spouting rubbish.Are you trying to say that DoC is actually 1st choice ahead of Ryan.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:36 pm

Saying that DOC has more gametime than Ryan for Munster is a statement as far as I'm concerned thumbsup

Gametime.

POC: 749 mins (9+1)
DOC: 735 mins (7+6)
D Ryan: 671 mins (10+1)

Is that clear enough for you?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Sin é wrote:Saying that DOC has more gametime than Ryan for Munster is a statement as far as I'm concerned thumbsup

Gametime.

All the more reason that Ryan should have been picked ahead of him. After such a good season so far surely Ryan starting with doc coming off the bench was needed for ireland.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

Sin é wrote:Saying that DOC has more gametime than Ryan for Munster is a statement as far as I'm concerned thumbsup

Gametime.

Wow I'm beginning to lose respect for you,I used to think you were an intelligent poster who just had different views to mine but lately your posts are lacking any sign of that.
Do you really think that makin a general statement like that is a reasonable response to the posts you had quoted,it's ambiguous what point you are trying to make.You say that DoC has more gametime than Ryan but don't explain why you brought that little stat up.Why are we supposed to care?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Gametime.

Wow I'm beginning to lose respect for you,I used to think you were an intelligent poster who just had different views to mine but lately your posts are lacking any sign of that.
Do you really think that makin a general statement like that is a reasonable response to the posts you had quoted,it's ambiguous what point you are trying to make.You say that DoC has more gametime than Ryan but don't explain why you brought that little stat up.Why are we supposed to care?

Never got the impression you had any respect for me, my opinion or my intelligence Hug

I think Stand got the point I was making Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

Care to explain it to me?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

Standulstermen wrote:

Gametime.

All the more reason that Ryan should have been picked ahead of him. After such a good season so far surely Ryan starting with doc coming off the bench was needed for ireland.

Its a horses for courses pick from what I can see, but I don't there being much in it between Ryan & DOC. POC is miles ahead of all of them.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

Wow this is hard work,would you say that McFAdden is then 1st choice ahead of D'Arcy since he has had noticeably more gametime?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Care to explain it to me?

Sorry, from your post I understood you don't care what I post as you think I'm thick so I wasn't going to waste my time.

What I meant about the statement is that Leinster rotate players like Reddan/Boss, Healy/VDM and no one really can state clearly who is first choice. You'll probably find that Boss starts away from home a bit more and that Healy will be used in a game which needs more getting around the pitch than scrummaging.

Similar situation to DOC & Ryan. We're not too sure who is first choice in Munster.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

Sin é wrote:

Sorry, from your post I understood you don't care what I post as you think I'm thick so I wasn't going to waste my time.

What I meant about the statement is that Leinster rotate players like Reddan/Boss, Healy/VDM and no one really can state clearly who is first choice. You'll probably find that Boss starts away from home a bit more and that Healy will be used in a game which needs more getting around the pitch than scrummaging.

Similar situation to DOC & Ryan. We're not too sure who is first choice in Munster.

Well most people would use the big games to judge and Ryan starts them all whereas DoC only comes in when there's an injury problem.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

Just to pop in here in the middle. In regards to DOC and Ryan, neither of them are considerded first or second choice. They are both selected as per the conditions and/or game plan.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:33 pm

That doesn't seem accurate as a large proportion of Doc's gametime has been from the bench,to me that clearly indicates he's not 1st choice anymore.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

Indeed Sore, I think he was just making the point that while DOC isn't starting as many games, he is getting alot of time on the field, so McGahan clearly has faith in his abilities off the bench. Essentially he trusts him. And over the 6 rounds of the HC, DOC was excellent off the bench, an impact sub in every sense and I think we'd all agree with you that had Kidney gone with McGahan's regime it would have worked out well.

However, if we all watched the 5 matches over again, I don't think we'd see glaring weaknesses or underperformance from DOC. Certainly not in remotely the same context as D'Arcy or TOL., or unfortunately for Court, his set piece play versus England.

So while it was a curious selection, DOC brought useful poo to the pary, unlike some other players that have been well documented.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

Well if you look at the minutes he has played when coming off the bench then i would suggest that be more rotation than 1st or 2nd choice.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:43 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Well most people would use the big games to judge and Ryan starts them all whereas DoC only comes in when there's an injury problem.

DOC started 2 less games than POC and 3 less than Ryan so far this season.

It will surprise you no doubt to find out that Boss has been starting a lot more games for Leinster than Reddan has:

Boss (games) 11 starts + 6 sub appearances. 830 mins.
Reddan (games) 7 starts + 5 sub appearances. 590 mins.

Now how come Boss's preferred by Kidney? (imo, I'd say he rates Conor Murray more highly and Reddan offers something different to Murray).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

debaters1 wrote:Indeed Sore, I think he was just making the point that while DOC isn't starting as many games, he is getting alot of time on the field, so McGahan clearly has faith in his abilities off the bench. Essentially he trusts him. And over the 6 rounds of the HC, DOC was excellent off the bench, an impact sub in every sense and I think we'd all agree with you that had Kidney gone with McGahan's regime it would have worked out well.

However, if we all watched the 5 matches over again, I don't think we'd see glaring weaknesses or underperformance from DOC. Certainly not in remotely the same context as D'Arcy or TOL., or unfortunately for Court, his set piece play versus England.

So while it was a curious selection, DOC brought useful poo to the pary, unlike some other players that have been well documented.

I agree with the bolded part,I've even said on another thread that I think DoC still has something to offer Ireland just not as a starter.

However I think his situation sums up Kidneys reign as Ireland coach,you shouldn't have to be playing badly to lose your place on the Ireland team it should be enough that another player is playing better than you.Unfortunately it takes multiple terrible performances like ToL and Luke Fitz produced pre WC before a player is in danger of losing his place.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

Sin é wrote:

DOC started 2 less games than POC and 3 less than Ryan so far this season.

It will surprise you no doubt to find out that Boss has been starting a lot more games for Leinster than Reddan has:

Boss (games) 11 starts + 6 sub appearances. 830 mins.
Reddan (games) 7 starts + 5 sub appearances. 590 mins.

Now how come Boss's preferred by Kidney? (imo, I'd say he rates Conor Murray more highly and Reddan offers something different to Murray).

Why would that surprise me I support Leinster so I know who has been playing,I also know that when the big games come around Reddan is the 1st choice just like Ryan is for Munster.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Why would that surprise me I support Leinster so I know who has been playing,I also know that when the big games come around Reddan is the 1st choice just like Ryan is for Munster.

Really, Boss started 3 Heineken cup games this season (as did Reddan).

Boss also started the last Leinster v. Munster game in the Aviva (Reddan got 22 mins).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

ASLS, may i ask what the fascination is with first or second choice is?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Really, Boss started 3 Heineken cup games this season (as did Reddan).

Boss also started the last Leinster v. Munster game in the Aviva (Reddan got 22 mins).

True but we still know that when it comes to the big games Schmidt will go with Reddan anything else would be a surprise.It's the same with Ryan.

You can't credibly be trying to claim that McGahan is employing the same rotation policy that Schmidt does when Munster have had such an injury crisis this year that McGahan has been forced to play whoever has been ledt standing.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:33 pm

eirebilly wrote:ASLS, may i ask what the fascination is with first or second choice is?

It's just to question why Kidney is forgiven for picking D'Arcy because he's first choice for Leinster (despite having significantly less ametime than McFadden,Darcy has 659 mins to McFaddens 997) yet isn't questioned about picking Munsters 3rd choice lock ahead of their 2nd choice.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

Oh, its a Leinster Munster thing. I am not touching that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:Oh, its a Leinster Munster thing. I am not touching that.

No it's a Kidney thing

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Kidney has reacted to the poor results of the last few years by going into his shell and becoming extremely conservative. Both his selections and his tactics were incredibly conservative in the last 6 Nations. Was it just 18 different players who started a 6 Nations match? And the three changes only occurred when they were enforced by injury. That's a shocking lack of faith in the players outside the 1st 15 and a really poor use of a squad.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

eirebilly wrote:Oh, its a Leinster Munster thing. I am not touching that.

Oh and you've already touched it Billy,this is from this thread https://www.606v2.com/t26331p150-ireland-coaching-position-open-poll-and-discussion#1071840 thumbsup

eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

It should also be said that D'Arcy is preferred to McFadden by Joe Schmidt at Leinster and when he does start for Leinster, its rarely at inside centre.

In McFadden Hcup starts this year, 3 have been at 13, 1 at 12 and 1 on the wing.

Ryan is preferred at lock to DoC by Munster yet Kidney chose to ignore that so why can't he do the same for McFadden
"

Yep, thats a very valid point.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

Would you like a shovel ASLS....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

I'd need to get rid of all the cowpat Sin is leaving on here.

Here's an idea why don't you try to tell me what you disagree with and I'll show you why you're wrong yet again.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

Good luck tomorrow lads! guinness Should be epic! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

Fed up of watching the Blues

Figured I might aswell start supporting Leinster.

Hug
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next