The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed?

+5
porkchopexpress
Solerina
Pr4wn
Gregers
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Should they outlaw Malinga's bowling action?

Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Vote_lcap20%Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 6 ]
Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Vote_lcap80%Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 24 ]

Total Votes : 30

Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Empty Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed?

Post by Adam D Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 am

Now, I know that it doesnt break the current bowling action laws but to me at least, its not a proper bowling action.

So what is everyones opinions of it - should the laws be tweaked to outlaw such an outrageous chucking...I mean bowling motion?

What do you think?

Malinga bowling action - clicky

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Empty Re: Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed?

Post by Gregers Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 am

Nothing wrong with it at all, infact its almost impossible to bowl how he does!

Arm straight at release so nothing wrong there either

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed? Empty Re: Malinga - should his bowling action be outlawed?

Post by Adam D Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 am

there was a similar poll on Talk Sport yesterday and a small majority voted yes (I think it was 55% to 45%)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It must have taken thousands of hours of practise to become that accurate with that action. There's nothing dangerous about it and if the batsman is good enough, it's easily playable.

Most of his yorker wickets have come against tail-enders.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:09 pm

I don't know anything about cricket but that does look very strange.........tho' as long as it's within the rules then he should be allowed to use it.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:10 pm

its been tested but its fine, i think Tait has a worse action

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm

someone mentioned about a bowler called Paul Adams on 606.

Thought I would post a link to his bowling action - I would say its very weird but looks more legal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5CsN7LwFi0&feature=related

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

suprised he dosent break his neck everytime he bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by porkchopexpress Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm

no, because its been checked out and allowed but it is the ugliest thing to watch in world cricket.

porkchopexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Law 24 (No Ball) states:

2. Fair delivery - the arm
For a delivery to be fair in respect of the arm the ball must not be thrown. See 3 below.
Although it is the primary responsibility of the striker's end umpire to ensure the fairness of a delivery in this respect, there is nothing in this Law to debar the bowler's end umpire from calling and signalling No ball if he considers that the ball has been thrown.

(a) If, in the opinion of either umpire, the ball has been thrown, he shall
(i) call and signal No ball.
(ii) caution the bowler, when the ball is dead. This caution shall apply throughout the innings.
(iii) inform the other umpire, the batsmen at the wicket, the captain of the fielding side and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.

(b.) If either umpire considers that after such caution a further delivery by the same bowler in that innings is thrown, the umpire concerned shall repeat the procedure set out in (a) above, indicating to the bowler that this is a final warning. This warning shall also apply throughout the innings.

© If either umpire considers that a further delivery by the same bowler in that innings is thrown,
(i) the umpire concerned shall call and signal No ball. When the ball is dead he shall inform the other umpire, the batsmen at the wicket and, as soon as practicable, the captain of the batting side of what has occurred.
(ii) the umpire at the bowler's end shall direct the captain of the fielding side to take the bowler off forthwith. The over shall be completed by another bowler, who shall neither have bowled the previous over nor be allowed to bowl the next over.
The bowler thus taken off shall not bowl again in that innings.
(iii) the umpires together shall report the occurrence as soon as possible to the Executive of the fielding side and any Governing Body responsible for the match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain and bowler concerned.

3. Definition of fair delivery - the arm
A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

Having read that, take another look at his bowling action. I suspect if the umpires do have any suspicions about his action they are supposed to report it to the ICC.

Provided he does not straighten his arm from when it reaches the shoulder then it is NOT a throw
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 am

I more surprised he doesn't take the umpires head off !

Is that why they take two steps back from the wicket, to allow him room to swing ?

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Having tried out bowling like Malinga does i can testify that it is not easy!

I've got no problems with his action personally, he bowls with a straight arm and, in what is becoming increasingly a batsman's game, I can't blame him for trying to find himself an advantage from being slightly outside the norm. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work and talent to bowl as accuately and as quickly as he does with that action so fair play to him...imagine how good he might be with a conventional action!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 pm

And he does get an amazing amount of side spin for a fast bowler !

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm

His arm does appear to straighten as he bowls though, except weirdly it comes from beyond 180 degrees to straight, but it is still straightening... But if it has been tested and is below 15 degrees then keep going! Watching him at the end of an innings is a joy.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:42 pm

If Malingas was banned then theres a right for Mitchell Johnsons to be banned too his is very slingy aswell.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down