The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!!

+4
88Chris05
azania
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
8 posters

Go down

Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!! Empty Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:16 pm

When we don't like somebody we tend to look at the guy who we want to win and focus on his strengths and the fighter that we dislike his weaknesses....

I did it with Tyson....Thought Biggs might jab him to death and dazzle him with his footwork etc...deep down I knew he'd get slapped but I picked him out of wishful thinking I guess and lost some dollars to a few of my buddies!!!

Reading some of the other stuff written about this fight reminds me of that fight..... sort of heart ruling head etc...Here are a number of reasons Cotto hasn't got a prayer...

1. After the battering he took off Marge/ Manny he isn't the same beast now....

2. He's always suffered with his tank..The nervous energy he'll have before the brilliant Floyd and the constant concentration and energy he'll use up physically and mentally will make his energy sap in the middle or later rounds..which brings me to....

3. He isn't a concussive puncher...a hurtful one yes but it's hardly likely he'll land a cluster on the elusive Floyd...which he'll need to do to stop him!!

3a. He hasn't got a great jab!!..Always thought a taller guy like Paul Williams would give Mayweather problems a la Blocker-Starling..making Floyd over-reach and keeping him at arms length....

To me Amir Khan too would be hard work for Floyd though I see him winning!!

4. After the trashing off Manny will he really believe he can win...Most experts Martinez, Marquez rank Mayweather higher.... so belief is a big thing..in this fight!!!!

5. Floyd always seems to find a way...He's great for a reason..

Just tend to think heart rules head when fighters like Tyson, Ali, Floyd, Leonard types are involved...

For me Cotto hasn't got a prayer...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!! Empty Re: Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:22 pm

I agree but you have to remember that this is Cotto's last big shot on the end of a career come back so you can not disregard his will to win this fight. Its a slugger against a technical wizard but Cotto will be smarter then Ortiz.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!! Empty Re: Cotto - Mayweather - Don't let the heart rule the head !!!

Post by azania Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:27 pm

Purely from the head, there's no way I can see Cotto winning this fight. Floyd is probably better in the inside. If Cotto tries to fight on the inside, Floyd will pick him apart the moment he tries to get in. If he fights outside, it'll be Floyd's game. Nothing Cotto does will affect Floyd.

Great fighter, but Floyd is better in every which way.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

Largely agree, Truss. Wouldn't be the biggest upset of all time if Cotto did pull it off, far from it in fact, but unless Mayweather's aged another ten years since Ortiz and / or is in a poor state of mind due to his prison sentence coming up, then I don't have much hope for Cotto here.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

To say he has not got a prayer is a little harsh. The defeats Cotto has suffered were against guys who actually wore him with the power of their punches which will not be the case with Floyd. Also Miguel is not a face first type slugger and can box when needs to. Also I am not sure you have to be a concussive puncher to end a fight, more a case of landing with accuracy. Can you honestly say that Sergio Martinez is a concussive puncher? No, yet he obliterated Williams with a single shot in their rematch. I expect to first half of the fight to be cagey with Cotto having his moments and similar to Mosely rocking Floyd. Second half Floyd will pick him off and win a clear decision but not the walkover a lot of people think it will be.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

Cotto should never have left Steward.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

Mikey...The title say's don't let heart rule head!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

Truss, my synopsis was based purely from rational thinking and definitely not from the heart. I expect Floyd to win but just don't think Cotto is the brainless, face first, one dimensional fighter some people think he is. Even in his fights that he lost or struggled, Cotto was still competitve (well except for the last few rounds with Manny where he was literally running) and performing with a skill set that IMO would be able to give Floyd some sort of test.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:46 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Cotto should never have left Steward.

Cotto is a serial trainer changer which can't help but stuck to a decent gameplan against Marg so maybe his new trainer is ok.

Steward and Cotto parted because Steward couldn't commit to Wlad and Cotto at the same time and Wlad had a fight (albeit cancelled) around the time of the Marg fight so they mutually parted ways.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:02 am

Agree with most of your points but haven't really seen many people on here giving Cotto a chance. Most people seem to be firmly with their heads on this one.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:04 am

Does anyone actually consider this to be hugely competitive though?

This was a competitive fight and one we wanted to see, however that was about 6 years ago.

For me heart doesn't want to see Cotto completely embarassed and instead to have it closer than on paper it should be.

This is a good fight for Mayweather - as in it should be closer than most of the other fights out there for him but he is head and shoulders above everyone out there now. That includes Manny who he was probably only head above 4-5 years back.

This is from someone who dislikes Mayweather the man but respects the boxer.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

Agreed............Some people are thinking this Cotto is the original brand...

Got a real licking of Manny and Marge 1........The kind that takes the gloss off a Da Vinci or Ledan ..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down