The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins

+3
LondonTiger
beshocked
Portnoy
7 posters

Go down

Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins Empty Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins

Post by Portnoy Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 11:06

That will be a fantastic turnout for a game which you'd normally expect a maximum of 25000.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins Empty Re: Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins

Post by beshocked Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 11:37

Yes because the Quins vs Sarries reverse fixture at Twickenham only got 25,000 didn't it? Doh

1st vs 2nd - the league leaders vs the defending English champions is bound to be popular.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins Empty Re: Wembley : A World record crowd for Sarries v Quins

Post by Portnoy Fri 30 Mar 2012 - 11:39

censored
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 21:36

beshocked wrote:Yes because the Quins vs Sarries reverse fixture at Twickenham only got 25,000 didn't it? Doh

1st vs 2nd - the league leaders vs the defending English champions is bound to be popular.

Would it have sold out Vicarage Rd though?

These initiatives are fantastic - but not really representative of the latent support.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 23:08

Just goes to show, there is real interest for Rugby. But it has to be properly merchandised.

The detractors will say the prices were low, Sarries made a big event about it, and the one match was publicised as a 'Wembley' match. But the truth is simple: Many people want to watch Rugby. And if it takes the incentive of a 'big match' environment, then that's still good. It is a much better proposition to convert the 80,000+ who went to this match than the ones which don't go to matches with only 10,000 in attendance.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 10:49

Long time lurker; first post here, so a big hello to all Very Happy

I was in the 83K+ strong crowd for this match yesterday and regardless of whether the ticket prices were low, or the Sarries marketing machine going into over drive, it was one of the best displays of Rugby for those at an entry level/casual interest level you can imagine. There were a lot of families there, and in such a friendly yet intense atmosphere on such a grand stage this shows that there really is audience there for club level rugby and can only do the sport good.

As London Tiger says this may not be representative of the latent support with a lot of people seeing it as a cheap day out at the national stadium, but i have no doubt that a lot of kids will go home with new heroes and parents less worried about their having their kids playing, and every sport needs new blood to come through. Even if the sport retains a small number of fans from that game, then surely that is a good thing.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 13:36

Quins have seen attendances steadily rise atthe Stoop since they started the big Game a few years ago. Of course if you can get to Twickenham stadium - you can also get to the Stoop.

Sarries however have seen average attendances decline at Vicarage Rd. I suspect this is in part due to inaccessibility and derepitness of the stadium and a lack of will by sarries to seriously push for crowds in Watford.

These big games are a good idea - and Welsh regions should look at having a double header at MS - shame St David's day is during 6Ns.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 13:39

So, looking to the future, where will Saracens play thieir Heineken Cup playoff/knockout matches? If there is a minimum 15,000 attendance requirement, and their new home is a bandbox, then where? Think they will try Wembley for more big matches? Makes sense to me.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 13:42

And of course Twickenham is across the road from the Stoop. Wembley is a fair way from Watford. I reckon that's got to make some difference.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 14:12

HammerofThunor wrote:Wembley is a fair way from Watford. I reckon that's got to make some difference.

Sarries new Copthall stadium isn't quite as close to Wembley as the Stoop is to HQ but it's a handful of miles away if that. If the big day model works and it proves benefical to all involved from the top echelons of management to the casual interest fan then it sounds win/win. I'm west london born & bred myself, and lucky enough to have relatives collapsing distance from Stoop/HQ but after seeing first hand yesterday the turn out at the national stadium it really opened my eyes to the demand from all ages for top flight Rugby at a club level in a big stadium setting.

As an England fan i am rather hesitant to comment on anything Welsh due to the potential of forum handbags, but could this work with top flight Welsh clubs at the Millenium stadium? Could it help people become more 'attached' to regions that they don't feel a part of? If not for established Rugby fans, then maybe for U7's and up? I couldn't answer, but it might be worth exploring.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 14:26

AlastairW, I wasn't sure how close the new Sarries place would be but that sounds good.

Regarding the welsh thing, I'd say the vast majority are fine with outsider comments as long as you're not a serial wind-up-merchant. MS has been talked about on here. Christmas derbies generally sell well. It's a shame St Davids is during the 6 nations otherwise that would have been great occasion.

A double header to open the season would be best (if the internationals are available)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 19:26

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13731.php

Tigers sell-out a month ahead of the game.

24000 in a city that by any measure is at best 10% of that of London.

(no special discount offers).

Last edited by Portnoy on Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 19:55; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 19:49

Portnoy wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13731.php

24000 in a city that by any measure is at best 10% smaller than London.

Leicester has 7 mullion people? Shocked

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 19:53

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Portnoy wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13731.php

24000 in a city that by any measure is at best 10% smaller than London.

Leicester has 7 mullion people? Shocked

Might as well have, Jenny.

I'll post-doctor the post Wink idea
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 20:03

Portnoy wrote:

Laugh

I know, I've been there. Mate of mine asked the guy on the desk in the hotel, "what are the high points of Leicester?"

He said.... "There aren't any"

The woman beside him said "You can't say that"

He replied.... "OK, What are they then"

Woman said "Eh................. Good point!"

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 20:16

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Portnoy wrote:

Laugh

I know, I've been there. Mate of mine asked the guy on the desk in the hotel, "what are the high points of Leicester?"

He said.... "There aren't any"

The woman beside him said "You can't say that"

He replied.... "OK, What are they then"

Woman said "Eh................. Good point!"

She was right - an overblown market town/mega-village with no history or relevance.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down