The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Henson be released?

+19
Comfort
nobbled
dragonbreath
CurlyOsp
21st Century Schizoid Man
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
rodders
GunsGerms
Biltong
Smirnoffpriest
TycroesOsprey
gowales
HERSH
Morgannwg
George Carlin
gregortree
RubyGuby
rugbyfan
3rdGrandslamCame
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Henson be released?

Should Henson be released? Vote_lcap47%Should Henson be released? Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 17 ]
Should Henson be released? Vote_lcap28%Should Henson be released? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]
Should Henson be released? Vote_lcap25%Should Henson be released? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 36

Should Henson be released? Empty Should Henson be released?

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

Should the Blues release Gavin Henson or give him another chance at the region/club?

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Should Henson be released? Empty Re: Should Henson be released?

Post by rugbyfan Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 am

Has he shown any form when playing - I haven't seen any of his games?

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 am

Please release him, let him go
For he's not worthy anymore
He gave us all when in his prime
but release him as he's now on borrowed time thumbsup

(edited version for Gregor) Whistle

Last edited by RubyGuby on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

People talk about Wasted talent, but was he really that good?

He was class for the Ospreys from 2003-2005, but he hasn't scored a try for Wales since South Africa 2004!

We have so many good centres now and plenty of good 10's fighting for places with Wales and at regional level.

Taking time out was the stupidest thing he ever did and doing TV work was even stupider.

He has given rugby, Wales, the Ospreys, Cuddy and the fans a massive two fingers for years. He deserves nothing in rugby it is a complete joke.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am

3 GS's - As a player this lad had the full package - He was voted world young player of the year when 18 - He has power, guile and a good boot - He is/was a phenomenal talent - However, without the right temperament all that is wasteful, fragmented and largely ineffective. People don't like him which is understandable but to use that to deny the skill and power that this fella posesses is to not look at him in pure rugby terms. He had all the attributes to be genuinely world class, it's not going to be and I actually think his rugby career is more or less over - Thanks for the memories Gav, have fun in the future and be careful with the lager thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 am

Ruby, that is quite funny, apart from the final word, which is unduly harsh.
Otherwiswe... Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:44 am

RubyGuby wrote:3 GS's - As a player this lad had the full package - He was voted world young player of the year when 18 - He has power, guile and a good boot - He is/was a phenomenal talent - However, without the right temperament all that is wasteful, fragmented and largely ineffective. People don't like him which is understandable but to use that to deny the skill and power that this fella posesses is to not look at him in pure rugby terms. He had all the attributes to be genuinely world class, it's not going to be and I actually think his rugby career is more or less over - Thanks for the memories Gav, have fun in the future and be careful with the lager thumbsup

I used to be his biggest fan, but it disgusts me how much he disregards his talent and the people that put faith in him. He must also hate the fact that he is now part of a squad that has several big named international stars and he can't handle that.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

gregortree wrote:Ruby, that is quite funny, apart from the final word, which is unduly harsh.
Otherwiswe... Laugh

I agree but it rhymed thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 am

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:3 GS's - As a player this lad had the full package - He was voted world young player of the year when 18 - He has power, guile and a good boot - He is/was a phenomenal talent - However, without the right temperament all that is wasteful, fragmented and largely ineffective. People don't like him which is understandable but to use that to deny the skill and power that this fella posesses is to not look at him in pure rugby terms. He had all the attributes to be genuinely world class, it's not going to be and I actually think his rugby career is more or less over - Thanks for the memories Gav, have fun in the future and be careful with the lager thumbsup

I used to be his biggest fan, but it disgusts me how much he disregards his talent and the people that put faith in him. He must also hate the fact that he is now part of a squad that has several big named international stars and he can't handle that.

That sounds like you have the problem 3G's not Henson - He's done his best, as fans we have wanted more but that's us being selfish as well - He might have some regrets at not using his talent to the full but hey mate, he's a having a great fxxxing life so good luck to him - From 16 years of age he's faced a lot of pressures and has been unable to handle them. I think the TV stuff suits him better - enjoy it Gav. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:50 am

gregortree wrote:Ruby, that is quite funny, apart from the final word, which is unduly harsh.
Otherwiswe... Laugh

I've now got the edited Gregor version up thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

RubyGuby wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:

That sounds like you have the problem 3G's not Henson - He's done his best, as fans we have wanted more but that's us being selfish as well - He might have some regrets at not using his talent to the full but hey mate, he's a having a great fxxxing life so good luck to him - From 16 years of age he's faced a lot of pressures and has been unable to handle them. I think the TV stuff suits him better - enjoy it Gav. thumbsup

Are you actually real?

As a high paid sports person in the limelight you have a duty to handle the pressure and behave in the public eye and also to be nice to people.

Have you seen how long the list of his "incidents is"?

I have no problem, but he really needs to just go stay away from rugby instead of wasting valuable time on the news channels.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 am

You might have a "duty" or a responsibility to handle pressure but I doubt that is a pre-requisite - He clearly has not been able to handle that pressure and he's not the first and will not be the last. Rather than him go away, why are you still expecting things from him when he clearly struggles to live up to those expectations. Henson is now a has been - Enjoy the memories and move on as we have bigger fish swimming out there now and they can all swim well thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am

Mwaha, yes Ruby, thanks.
He was a great player for Wales, hurt us English a few times 'in his day' but let down by his daemons of temperament. Shame really.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 am

Do you mean "into the community"?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 pm

George Carlin wrote:Do you mean "into the community"?

Jeeeeez I hope not, back on TV please but not the community, unless its Essex of course, think he'll slot in well there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:People talk about Wasted talent, but was he really that good?

He was class for the Ospreys from 2003-2005, but he hasn't scored a try for Wales since South Africa 2004!

We have so many good centres now and plenty of good 10's fighting for places with Wales and at regional level.

Taking time out was the stupidest thing he ever did and doing TV work was even stupider.

He has given rugby, Wales, the Ospreys, Cuddy and the fans a massive two fingers for years. He deserves nothing in rugby it is a complete joke.

Not at the Blues we don't. So what do you think their management did about that? Placed him down the pecking order behind, PARKS, SWEENEY and Gavin Evans. Not to mention leaving him out the matchday squad on a few occassions entirely, after he played well.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 pm

I’d like to see him given another chance, he showed so much talent and skill when I saw him perform, he could have been one of the greats if he was just given a little bit more time.

I do hope that the Beeb give him another go on Strictly.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Morgannwg wrote: Not at the Blues we don't. So what do you think their management did about that? Placed him down the pecking order behind, PARKS, SWEENEY and Gavin Evans. Not to mention leaving him out the matchday squad on a few occassions entirely, after he played well.

At least we have Tovey coming in, it might not be all bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm

HERSH wrote:I’d like to see him given another chance, he showed so much talent and skill when I saw him perform, he could have been one of the greats if he was just given a little bit more time.

He's off to Bath.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm

I have less respect and admiration for Baber than I do for Henson.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:08 pm

For throwing some ice cubes? Erm ... No

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
HERSH wrote:I’d like to see him given another chance, he showed so much talent and skill when I saw him perform, he could have been one of the greats if he was just given a little bit more time.

He's off to Bath.

April fools was yesterday!

I think it would have been very different for Henson if he had joined London Welsh [like what some of us on 606v2 said he should have done] on a short term contract, he would have got plenty of game time out of the limelight and at a lower level he would have found some form quicker and rescued his career.

As it stands I can't see anyone touching him, shame he didn't listen to some of us on here. Crying or Very sad
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Who cares?

We won the grandslam without Henson.

3 in 7 years!!!

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Tango Orange does clash with Cardiff Blue though. Not sure that could last.
Anyway, Bath ? Wash away my orange sins, and start again (again) with a clean soul.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Who cares?

3 in 7 years!!!

But you could have won the RWC with him, oh well I guess we'll never know. thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 pm

In terms of pure talent, Henson was the best young player I have seen in wales in a very long time. However his lack of self discipline, the poor career choices, the high profile relationship, the mindless tv shows and the obvious issue he has when he has had a few to drink have diminsihed that talent to an extent that he is an irrelevance rather than a triple grandslam winner.

Henson has become the Gazza of Welsh rugby. Its such a shame as it could have been so different. All that talent wasted because he has the temperament of a pubescent teenager.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:07 pm

I doubt it Hersh - while he's looked good in parts for the Blues, he's still shown that injuries and his time out of the game left him well behind where he needed to be to play international rugby, or even rugby in general consistently. He has seemed to pick up a lot of small injuries in his time with the Blues and took a long time getting over his wrist injury (no jokes) pick up last autumn against England.

I agree with everyone who says Justin and Baber are poor coaches and that Henson is better than G Evans but there could be another reason why they haven't played him much - I mean he has had attitude and injury problems in his past. Either way it would still be a risk putting him in at 10 (but probably not as big a risk as relying on Sweeney and putting Gav on the wing)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm

HERSH: Henson for Bath ? or so suggests one of the posters above. What do you a Bath man, make of that prospect ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:10 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:In terms of pure talent, Henson was the best young player I have seen in wales in a very long time. However his lack of self discipline, the poor career choices, the high profile relationship, the mindless tv shows and the obvious issue he has when he has had a few to drink have diminsihed that talent to an extent that he is an irrelevance rather than a triple grandslam winner.

Henson has become the Gazza of Welsh rugby. Its such a shame as it could have been so different. All that talent wasted because he has the temperament of a pubescent teenager.

Think you mean a double grandslam winner - we don't want to give Henson a big head now! Shocked

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Was his mother a chicken and is this the root of the problem as his feathers seem to get ruffled quite easily thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 pm

How would I feel if Bath signed Henson?

If he had shown any sort of form whilst at the Blues I wouldn't have minded, but he has been living on past glories for years now so I'd rather we spent the money elsewhere.

Someone will take him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:23 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/

Henson sacked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm

He's played quite well in patches for the Blues and has shown he's got something different (besides the colour of his skin) from the other players.

But consistency has been his problem - But I bet if Bath signed him Hersh you'd fall in love with the WC player Henson is!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

HERSH wrote:

3 in 7 years!!!

But you could have won the RWC with him, oh well I guess we'll never know. thumbsup

I find it hard to remember ancient history. Especially that of the 2003 world cup which was before the Jurassic age!

Well done on your cup NINE YEARS AGO. Since then you have managed 1 solitary championship win, no slams and no triple crowns.

The future is king. Stop living in the past.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Cardiff Blues sack Gavin Henson over flight incident
Cardiff Blues have sacked Gavin Henson following an investigation into his alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour on a Saturday flight from Glasgow to Cardiff.

Airline Flybe has also banned Henson from flying with them for six months.

The Blues' decision cuts the 30-year-old's stint there a month short of its eight-month term and leaves the player unemployed.

Henson was a wing replacement in the 31-3 defeat by Glasgow on Friday.

He was suspended on Saturday and issued a public apology the following day.

Continue reading the main story
“Gavin Henson is obviously a talented rugby player and it's unfortunate that his career at the Blues has ended this way

Richard Holland

Cardiff Blues chief executive
A Blues statement read: "Following a management meeting on Monday morning Cardiff Blues can confirm that Gavin Henson has been dismissed with immediate effect."

Chief executive Richard Holland said: "The Cardiff Blues management have discussed the matter at length but have acted swiftly since the incident occurred on Saturday morning.

"Gavin admitted himself that his behaviour was totally unacceptable and the immediate termination of his contract sends out a clear message that behaviour like that will not be tolerated at the Blues.

"We have a duty to our supporters and sponsors to protect the good name of Cardiff Blues and those associated with our brand.

"Gavin Henson is obviously a talented rugby player and it's unfortunate that his career at the Blues has ended this way.

"However, we would like to thank him for his service and wish him the best of luck with his future career."

A spokesman for Flybe said: "The safety of our passengers and staff is Flybe's number one priority and as such the airline has a zero tolerance attitude to unruly behaviour on board our aircraft.

"We are grateful for Mr Henson's apology following Saturday's flight from Glasgow to Cardiff.

"However, in line with company policy, we have written to him, informing him that he will be banned from Flybe services for a period of six months."

GAVIN HENSON FACT-FILE
•Born: 01/02/1982; Bridgend
•Positions: Fly-half, centre, full-back
•Clubs: Swansea, Ospreys, Saracens, Toulon, Cardiff Blues
•Test honours: 33 Wales caps, 1 Lions cap
Henson signed an eight-month contract with the Blues in October after French side Toulon opted not to extend his deal with them at the end of last season.

A two-time Grand Slam winner with Wales, Henson has struggled to cement a regular place in club rugby since injuring his ankle in March 2009 and taking 18 months of unpaid leave from Ospreys five months later.

He joined Saracens in October 2010, but played only four games for the Premiership side before asking for his contract to be terminated to allow him to join Toulon.

Henson scored a try in a win over Stade Francais on his debut, and was briefly suspended for a breach of the club's disciplinary code before the punishment was lifted following an internal inquiry .

Since moving back to Wales, he has played eight matches and is yet to score a try.

His last international appearance was in Wales' 19-9 victory over England at the Millennium Stadium in August, but a wrist injury sustained in the game ended his hopes of playing in the World Cup .

Could be the end for Henson - though I wish the Blues had said why they were getting rid of him (ie their weren't pleased with his performances/attitude problems/or can't afford him) rather than say they are sacking a player coz he got drunk and chucked ice cubes - even though this same club took Andy Powell back after his little midnight rally down the M4

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:He's played quite well in patches for the Blues and has shown he's got something different (besides the colour of his skin) from the other players.

But consistency has been his problem - But I bet if Bath signed him Hersh you'd fall in love with the WC player Henson is!

I've always rated Henson and until George North came along I'd say he was still the only world class Back (in the last 10 years) they had produced that would push for a place in the SH big three.

Last edited by HERSH on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
HERSH wrote:

3 in 7 years!!!

I find it hard to remember ancient history. Especially that of the 2003 world cup which was before the Jurassic age!

Well done on your cup NINE YEARS AGO. Since then you have managed 1 solitary championship win, no slams and no triple crowns.

Whats that got to do with Henson?

You need to see someone about your problem before it lands you into big trouble! Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Is it true that he has been released already? Hard to feel sorry for him. What's wrong with hard work, professionalism and dedication GH?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

HERSH wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:He's played quite well in patches for the Blues and has shown he's got something different (besides the colour of his skin) from the other players.

I've always rated Henson and until George North came along I'd say he was still the only world class Back they had produced that would push for a place in the SH big three.

I'd say that's quite harsh on the rest of the Welsh players - especially ones from the golden era, or even a Gibbs or Jiffy.

But he was very, very good at times (sometimes annonymous) and was one of the only players who could produce things out of nothing - but that was 4 years ago. I was just hoping he was going to get his head down and start producing consistent performances for the Blues and get up to international level but seems that ship looks to have sailed

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:36 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Is it true that he has been released already? Hard to feel sorry for him. What's wrong with hard work, professionalism and dedication GH?

It doesn't win you a place on some glitzy, insipid reality TV show that's what!

And up it's true the Blues have released a statement

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm

HERSH wrote:
3rdGrandslamCame wrote:
HERSH wrote:

3 in 7 years!!!

Whats that got to do with Henson?

You need to see someone about your problem before it lands you into big trouble! Laugh

I don't have a problem.

Do you realise that you are Welsh?

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 pm

No really, you need to see someone!

Your not the Welsh fan who cut his testicles off are you?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

HERSH wrote:No really, you need to see someone!

You are more Welsh than me!

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 pm

HERSH wrote:No really, you need to see someone!

"You're" not your.

You are definitely Welsh, because if you were English it would embarrassing that you can't spell your own language.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm 1/8th Welsh, so I might be!

Most people in South Wales are English if you go back through their family history.

Last edited by HERSH on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

HERSH wrote:I'm 1/8th Welsh, so I might be!

Most people in South Wales are English if you go back through there family history.

Most English are German if you go back though their family history
Most German are Polish
Most Irish are Vikings

Where are you going with this valley boy?

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Tonmawr are after him thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Going back to my previous statement.

'I've always rated Henson and until George North came along I'd say he was still the only world class Back (in the last 10 years) they had produced that would push for a place in the SH big three.'

I forgot North is English. Very Happy

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Tuilagi is an awesome English player, but then I also like Botha (can't pronounce it though, too English for me). Barritt is also good, but I rate Hartley too. That Vainikolo was awesome where in Kent did he play junior rugby? Hape and Flutey were amazing they were always the top in their class at Millfield prep school.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:51 pm

HERSH wrote:Going back to my previous statement.

'I've always rated Henson and until George North came along I'd say he was still the only world class Back (in the last 10 years) they had produced that would push for a place in the SH big three.'

I forgot North is English. Very Happy

I must be the first person on 606 to prevent a HERSH comeback, not even a sniff of a pathetic comeback. Come on you can do better than this.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next